Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryse reviews

Veteran

Ryse reviews

In the movie industry, if a movie doesn't get submitted for reviews, it usually means even the studio knows its a stinker. This is very odd for a game title that has been promoted as the premiere launch title for the XBone, to be embargoed until just a day before launch.

Ryse Reviews Embargoed A Day Before Xbox One Launches

If you were hoping to get in some early thoughts of Ryse: Son of Rome before the game actually launched, think again. Other than the extremely polar hands-on previews out there praising and lamenting the game like critics and average users fighting over whether Pacific Rim was a good movie, you won't find any reviews of Ryse: Son of Rome rolling out with the rest of the Xbox One games that have been reviewed.

Dead Rising 3, Crimson Dragon and Killer Instinct are currently being reviewed up and down like Barack Obama's birth certificate. While it's already been noted that Dead Rising 3 offers a fair bit of fun at the expense of more frame stutter than a rickety old Pinto with a sputtering engine, the one game that's completely missing from the review line-up is Crytek's Ryse: Son of Rome.

The game's reviews are no where to be seen because the embargo from Microsoft is still in place for Ryse and it will stay in place up until Novemeber 21st, just a day before the Xbox One launches.

So how did it become apparent that Ryse's reviews are being delayed up until a day before the big Xbox One launch this weekend? Well, IGN rolled out a complete review itinerary for all things Xbox.

The only game that's embargoed later than Ryse is the multiplayer component of Zoo Tycoon, and that's very reasonable given that IGN notes that the multiplayer isn't available pre-launch, which means that the review would be incomplete if a mode isn't available for proper critique.

However, with Ryse there is no technical reason why the reviews are being withheld so late (or so close) for the launch of the Xbox One. This is especially troubling given that Ryse is supposed to be the Xbox One's definitive launch title; the Mario to Nintendo; the Killzone or Crash Bandicoot to PlayStation; the Virtua Fighter to Sega, and the Plumbers Don't Wear Ties to the 3DO.

Some gamers believe that Ryse has created such a rift in the scoring from major review publications that Microsoft is hoping to hold back a lot of the negative press until the day before the system launches, giving gamers very little time to do proper research on the title before heading out to buy the game. It also limits potential viral spread of negativity, given that whether the reviews are positive or negative by the time they pick up traction the Xbox One's massive launch event and all the PR surrounding it will likely overshadow any negative social media talk attached to Ryse.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the game is so awesome that it's just too much awesome to let reviewers get in on the action early, and Microsoft wants to withhold that awesome until a day before the system launches. However that scenario has never played out in real life and has never been applicable to any game release.

Staving off negative press for Ryse will only last so long, though. Given that GameInformer's preview was pretty scathing, the likelihood is that Microsoft is just trying to buy time before the Metacritic aggregate hammer drops hard and fast on Ryse. Heck, even the embargo wrangling Mirosoft used for Call of Duty: Ghosts didn't help too much amidst all the controversy over Resolutiongate.

Nevertheless, we'll find out how well Ryse turns out when the embargos lift for the game on November 21st.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Rys...hes-60620.html
    Last edited by 33x; 11-21-2013 at 12:51.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Ryse right behind knack in line for metacritic damnation?

Tapatalk

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah I have a strong feeling this game is going to suffer with scores. The gameplay just looked bad but it was a beautiful game.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    What about Forza?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    What about Forza?
    Very well could be that they just did it with their two big exclusives. Those were leaps and bounds the two launch titles they were proud of. Who knows. Guess we will find out Friday. I'm sure Forza will do well with reviews. I don't think Ryse will be as fortunate from what I've seen.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Very well could be that they just did it with their two big exclusives. Those were leaps and bounds the two launch titles they were proud of. Who knows. Guess we will find out Friday. I'm sure Forza will do well with reviews. I don't think Ryse will be as fortunate from what I've seen.
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Forza is the first/only AAA game at launch. So surprised MS isn't allowing anyone to review it yet.

Ryse....no surprise there. They don't want to ruin all the money they have put into marketing with what I expect will be mediocre reviews....at best.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Veteran
    Dead Rising frame rate sputtering means trouble handling lots of polygons, especially like zombie hordes. It would be extreme even for Microsoft, but I see this image of the APU architecture that looks like this: CPU>eSRAM<GPU, that is like an hourglass of sand with the CPU on one end, the GPU on the other end, and this thin taper through the eSRAM.

Face it. Microsoft is not a hardware company.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Surprised about Forza, not about Ryse.

But yeah, Forza will kill in reviews. lol Ryse might actually be surprising - I don't see it getting scored like Knack.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Superior Member

Ryse has always shown as a beautiful game with questionable (at best) gameplay. It wouldn't be that surprising if it takes a bit of a beating in the reviews.

Forza will most likely get dinged a bit for quantity of content rather than uality.

I suspect this is more about having a steady stream of news/hype leading up to launch than anything else.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Ryse will be the first game that i play on Friday. I can't wait to get into the story. I'm sure MS has a lot riding on that and Forza since they really show off what xb1 can do graphically. I'm also hearing rumors that they might be showing something from the next Halo and a possible Kameo sequel.

Forum Elder
    Lair was a beautiful game at the beginning of the PlayStation 3's life cycle.

it ended up sucking

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post

it ended up sucking

OMG that was a night mare. Honestly would not be surprised Ryse end up being a poop of a game.

Forum Elder
    Yeah, I bought the damn thing, lol.

I remember Lefein kept talking it up, he had me pumped for it. I still own it btw.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Did MS forget to ship Ryse to reviewers with big brown bags of cash?

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post

it ended up sucking

Oh god, I wanted to forget about Lair. I need to try that machine from "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless" Mind to make me forget I ever bought it.
    Then of course, there are games i wish I could use that machine so I can play them for the first time again!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    lol I thought Lair was pretty cool. I had no problems with the motion controls.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    ouch
    they gave it a 5

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...of-rome-review

ign gave it a 6.8

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Forum Sage
    Ouch. Launch line up is looking a bit weak...

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    not surprised at all.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Still looks worth a fun rental, i love hack n slash games still!!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Elite Sage
    Yeah, sounds like a rental game, not really worth of full price. Not even close.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...se-son-of-rome

60 so far from 24

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Before embargo Polygon called Ryse pretty, but boring, and thankfully short. Sounds like my second wife, although she wasn't short.

Anyway, Forza didn't meta all that well either, currently 82 on 31 reviews. That's lower than any previous Forza game, including Horizon.

Game embargoes used to mean the same as no critic movie screenings. That's drifted quite a bit. I've seen a lot of AAA games, more every month it seems, review embargoed until street date, but the those reviews turn out good. It's no longer as much hiding a bad game as it is risk management. It doesn't matter how the game is going to review. Why risk losing some sales on a good review score but with remarks in the review copy that turn away people who would have otherwise bought the game without benefit of reviews?

"Benefit of reviews." Now that's a funny one. For a couple years I'd been ignoring game reviews to a greater degree; buying them, at least renting them, if they looked interesting to me, no matter discouraging prerelease buzz or low review scores. Remember Me put the cap on my process of abandoning game reviews as anything more than fodder for snarky comments about the prose and ad hominem remarks about the reviewer. Remember Me across platforms hovered around 70. I'd already preordered it so I let that stand but put it on a shelf unopened. For months. I finally played it when I didn't have anything else handy. I loved it. You can make the argument that a 70 is an overall average game with some strong points, not a bad game or even a mediocre game. That's true perhaps of movies or your organic chemistry grades. It's not true of games. In games criticism, a 70 is reserved for a fairly bad game.

Look at all the metacritic scores for all the launch exclusives on both platforms. They're all over the map. Such diversity in scoring isn't particularly indicative of anything. If a game across the board runs 50 - 70, you might get some idea that's a mediocre game, 85 - 95, that's a very good game. Just looking at XOne exclusives, though PS4 scores were similar, Forza goes 65 - 100. Ryse, 30 - 86. Dead Rising 3, 60 - 100. Statisticians wept. Note, also, the higher scores are from outlets LESS likely to be in bed with the industry. I can reasonably speculate the high score from critics who operate mostly outside industry influence mean the games are at least fun to play, probably worth owning, if they're not juggernaut justifications for the console purchase. The lower scores from industry girlfriends imply there wasn't enough free stuff handed over to them during the console rollouts and especially not enough cake. Cake is important.

In their Forza review, Edge laments the lack of "bespoke" -- that's customized, if you don't think you're a lot smarter than you actually are -- onscreen speedometers. This is a problem? This substantially interferes with overall enjoyment of a racing simulation? (Yes, I know "bespoke" is more commonly used in British English to mean "custom", but it still doesn't belong in a video game review when writing about customizing onscreen speedometers.) That's the sort of stuff game critics whine about in launch title reviews because new generation games can never meet their outlandish expectations for features and visuals and crazy notions of "the future of gaming."

Lastly, review embargoes are so much anti-journalism nonsense. The way you embargo a movie review is you don't screen it for critics before opening day. Otherwise, if film critics see it earlier they're going to write about it and publish those reviews when they please. In games, the industry sends out review copies of games to select outlets very early and then tells the publications they can't publish those reviews until a certain date and time. The implied or explicit threat, you break embargo, you don't get any more early review copies. You don't get any more nifty perks. Most importantly, no more free cake. The games publishers TELL the FREE PRESS when they can publish reviews of games they're already thoroughly played and evaluated? Give me a break. It happens in other entertainment arts but it's endemic in games and it's seriously frowned upon in other commercial mediums. It's not journalism. It's not criticism. It's contracted public relations, paid for with cake. These soi-disant members of the fourth estate have sold their professional souls for a goddamn cake. At least the fashion industry used to buy your compliance with girls and cocaine. All things being equal, girls and cocaine are a hell of a lot more tempting than cake. Cake is an offense to journalism. Cake is the ultimate insult.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-21-2013 at 13:14.

26. Likes mini E likes this post

Thread Information