Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryse reviews

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    damn that is low.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    is anyone surprised in the slightest?

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    is anyone surprised in the slightest?
    No.....even with the barrage of gifs, vids, and pics, for the most part, folks have been pretty consistent in their impressions. It is pretty, but the gameplay looks like $#@!. Must have been said here a few million times.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Yup, no amount of gifs and fud have changed the 1st impression most people (around here) had of Ryse.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    I was a lil......

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    GameSpot runs Metacritic, so you can toss out that score. It's generally understood that both outlets are owned by the same parent, CBS Interactive, but GameSpot is more closely tied to Metacritic than mere ownership by the same media giant. GameSpot can and I'm sure will turn in reviews scores they need to skew Metacritic averages the way they want them. A 4/10 is too low for the substance of this review; it's a 4 for some other reason. Probably not enough cake, but I already wrote about that.

Anyway, I'm not defending Ryse. Maybe it's garbage and deserves a 4/10. I'm only saying, the substance of GameSpot's review doesn't support their 4/10, and GameSpot's hot pipeline to the score aggregator is a conflict of interest so even if they publish the most honest and sincere reviews, everyone should honestly and sincerely ignore them.

As for Metacritic, never has so much money been made nor more attention paid to the process of adding up some numbers and dividing that sum by the quantity of those addends. It's only a damn average. It's meaningless. Meta only means self-referential. Careful, don't confuse that with self-reverential, because in the cases of Metacritic and its major contributing outlets that's really easy to do.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    No.....even with the barrage of gifs, vids, and pics, for the most part, folks have been pretty consistent in their impressions. It is pretty, but the gameplay looks like $#@!. Must have been said here a few million times.
    I think that's what most people everywhere thought when they saw the E3 demos. It looks gorgeous but the gameplay is only skin-deep. It's a short, simple game built to show some leg. I suppose if that's its whole purpose, it's succeeded. I preorderrf it. Maybe I should have rented it. But then it's nice to have something around that evokes the visual potential of the XOne. Sort of like KZ SF with its stunning graphics but stock gameplay. Though likely stock gameplay more engagingly implemented than Ryse.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-21-2013 at 13:41.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    found this on Neogaf with a bunch of Ryse reviews.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719895

Shacknews - 5/10
    Eurogamer - 5/10
    Polygon - 6/10
    Joystiq - 2.5/5
    Gamespot - 4/10
    IGN - 6.8
    Destructoid - 5/10
    Videogamer.com - 6/10
    EGNNow.com - 7.5/10
    OXM.co.uk - 7/10
    Kotaku - YES
    Gamesradar - 3.5/5
    GameInformer - 6/10
    Rev3Games/Sessler - 2/5
    MMGN - 6.5
    Eurogamer.de: 7/10
    Gameswelt - 7.5/10
    Gamersglobal.de - 6.5/10
    EveryEye.it - 7.5
    Venturebeat: 86/100
    Eurogamer.it: 7/10
    Gametrailers - 7/10
    Metro.co.uk - 3/10
    CVG - 5/10
    T3.com - 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    GameSpot runs Metacritic, so you can toss out that score. It's generally understood that both outlets are owned by the same parent, CBS Interactive, but GameSpot is more closely tied to Metacritic than mere ownership by the same media giant. GameSpot can and I'm sure will turn in reviews scores they need to skew Metacritic averages the way they want them. A 4/10 is too low for the substance of this review; it's a 4 for some other reason. Probably not enough cake, but I already wrote about that.

Anyway, I'm not defending Ryse. Maybe it's garbage and deserves a 4/10. I'm only saying, the substance of GameSpot's review doesn't support their 4/10, and GameSpot's hot pipeline to the score aggregator is a conflict of interest so even if they publish the most honest and sincere reviews, everyone should honestly and sincerely ignore them.
    I read the review, it was scathing. I don't know if Ryse deserves a 4, but that review pretty much laid out how much they hated. So yeah, I'd say they supported the score.

Yeah, I'm not going to jump into theories about CBS Interactive and Gamespot. I don't see any conflict. You could go crazy jumping at shadows if you go down the rabbit hole of what mega-corp owns what websites. But to each their own.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I'm a little surprised that it got such decent scores. I was expecting it to keep an average of 50 or lower.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    I read the review, it was scathing. I don't know if Ryse deserves a 4, but that review pretty much laid out how much they hated. So yeah, I'd say they supported the score.
    I come from games criticism where a 4 was a broken game. Literally, broken. I mean on technical points, broken. Not just weak, empty-eyed and shamefully sparse. Scales vary though, place to place, person to person, so I won't quibble over whether it should have been a 4 or a 5. Because that's all I'm saying, that it should have, in my opinion by the content of the review, been a 5 -- a single point's worth of trivial.

Yeah, I'm not going to jump into theories about CBS Interactive and Gamespot. I don't see any conflict. You could go crazy jumping at shadows if you go down the rabbit hole of what mega-corp owns what websites. But to each their own.
    But these aren't shadows. Press outlets don't report on themselves or their sibling outlets unless the story is so big or so predominates other outlets or a case where not reporting it would be construed as covering up. You don't report on yourself except down a very narrow line of unavoidability and then you fully disclose the relationship at the top of every story, and if you're smart, twice more in the copy. You never make a major segment of your core business reporting on yourself. It's a tremendous and damning conflict of interest.

Forum Sage
    I come from games criticism where a 4 was a broken game. Literally, broken.
    Shouldn't a broken game get a 1? i always thought that it should go 1= Terrible, don't even bother. 5 = average game and 10 = Perfect, you need to play this.

14. Likes -Shafty- , sainraja likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Shouldn't a broken game get a 1? i always thought that it should go 1= Terrible, don't even bother. 5 = average game and 10 = Perfect, you need to play this.
    Ideally, yes. But there's the contingent that declares there's no such thing as a 10 because there's no absolutely perfect game. So their editors won't allows 10s. Philosophically I suppose they're right, but come on, it's just a game. If it's a great game, it's okay to give it a 10.

Quantifying that which reasonably can only be qualified is a ridiculous dead-end stunt we as a society love to perform. Score scales for entertainment media are inherently without value. Averaging those scores is even worse. Averaging a variety of score scales extrapolated to a 100-point scale is pretty much just hilarious.

The fact is, score scales are weighted to favor the games industry. That's why a fair number of scales that actually feature any sort of justification for specific scores state <=4 is broken software. That helps shore up just plain bad, but not broken, games so they don't average in the 30s on score aggregators. It artificially weights the scores toward the high end, because although in theory the scale is 1 - 10, it's in practice, barring software defect, 4 - 10. Not all outlets use such a heavily weighted scale, and even those that do use a weighted scale will make exceptions, for things like not enough cake and so on, and they sometimes assign lower scores piecemeal.

People can say what they want about Roger Ebert, but his, and Gene Siskel's, popularization of the simple thumbs up or down for easily quantifying and describing the breadth of a more detailed film review was perhaps the greatest modern day contribution to criticism of entertainment media. You can read or watch the whole review and debate Oscar contention or standout performances or whatnot, but just by glancing at the thumb you know the critic thought the movie worth seeing, or not.

The score scale is just another symptom of excess industry influence. Publisher PR uses score averages to justify their promotion of a game to the games press. PR has to have the score to show the publishing executives. It's show scores or flip burgers -- with apologies to those who do flip burgers for a living; someone has to do it.

Specific to Ryse, though, from the reviews it sounds like as a game it's too much like being a Roman soldier. Day after day another bloody trudge where it doesn't seem like anything you do, win, lose or draw, matters on the large scale. As entertainment, at least from the reviews, it reminds me of Upside Down. I can watch that movie over and over. But it's a gorgeous mood piece and that's all it ever will be. It's a motion-enabled painting, if you will. I love it. A lot of people hate it, and for perfectly good reasons like a plot rife with loose ends and loaded with the cliches of two or three different genres. From the reviews alone I'd have surely skipped it but turns out I fell for it. And I had to see it to fall for it, just like I'll have to play Ryse before I know how I feel about it.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-21-2013 at 15:00.

16. Likes Admartian , mini E likes this post
    Veteran
    The Roman conquest idea was good, although it plays better as a RTS like Rome Total War. Crytek is always tops in graphics and Crysis was a pretty good game with a pretty good story but Crysis 2 was very shallow, while having some beautiful scenes. The game was also hobbled by being a 360 Kinect game first. It had to be a knee-jerk reaction to convert it to the XBone as a third person hack-n-slash. They would have been better off leaving it a Kinect2 and the flailing in the air for sword slashing might have been enough physical activity to make the game better.

If anything, Ryse is a lesson in how *NOT* to do a launch exclusive. Hype, PR and marketing have worked for so long with Microsoft that they have gotten themselves into a rut. This is what happens when suits run everything. They are all about schedules, budgets, marketing, PR, meanwhile the products decline. Staying loyal to MS is basically staying loyal to the idea the company exists for the suits, the customers are there to support the suits, not the company's products. When you get a workplace that turns into a bureaucracy, it always descends into office politics, stroking egos and the bossy people becoming bosses, regardless if they have any talent or expertise. In fact, talent and expertise are looked down upon by management. MS is going to go through an overhaul when Ballmer leaves at the end of the year.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

18. Likes mini E likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    When they changed it from a Kinect game to normal that was first sighn the game is going to suck. The gameplay I understand being repetitive and lame because they did not want to redo everything after planning for it to be kinect. Goes to show you graphics do not carry a game.

20. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I think the main problem here is that it was Crytek that made it. There should have been two development teams, Crytek for the graphics and another company for the gameplay. Crytek is always been more about graphics and less about gameplay. Even the crysis series is graphically awesome but the gameplay has always been mediocre. I would've been more shocked if all the reviews had been higher.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    I think the main problem here is that it was Crytek that made it. There should have been two development teams, Crytek for the graphics and another company for the gameplay. Crytek is always been more about graphics and less about gameplay. Even the crysis series is graphically awesome but the gameplay has always been mediocre. I would've been more shocked if all the reviews had been higher.
    nope! main problem here is MS! Ryse was kinect game for 360, then MS forced Crytek made action game for X1

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSol View Post
    nope! main problem here is MS! Ryse was kinect game for 360, then MS forced Crytek made action game for X1
    they've always been crap at delivering gameplay.

Dedicated Member

It's Shenmue with gladiators, they should have stuck with making it a Kinect title.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    i culdn't resist

26. Likes John Willaford, Fon likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    I did really enjoy Crysis 3 gameplay, though. It was stock but really tight stock. I thought Crysis 2 was misery on a stick. Misery with lipstick on a stick maybe but still misery.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Looks like Ryse has Sunk

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    Looks like Ryse has Sunk
    I bet it still sells like crazy. People want a tech demo to show off their new consoles. DR3 may have the best launch exclusive gameplay but it's next gen features aren't eye candy. Forza, people expect racers to look stunning. So that leaves Ryse for visual wow factor.

Elite Sage
    I bet it still sells like crazy. People want a tech demo to show off their new consoles. DR3 may have the best launch exclusive gameplay but it's next gen features aren't eye candy. Forza, people expect racers to look stunning. So that leaves Ryse for visual wow factor.
    I wouldn't be so sure. As far as I have seen, preorders haven't been that good for Ryse.
    I just seriously hope people will rather buy Dead Rising 3 than this one.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Thread Information