Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3

Thread: Ryse reviews

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    is anyone surprised in the slightest?
    edit:nvmd
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 11-21-2013 at 18:51.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    It's no longer as much hiding a bad game as it is risk management. It doesn't matter how the game is going to review. Why risk losing some sales on a good review score but with remarks in the review copy that turn away people who would have otherwise bought the game without benefit of reviews?

You can make the argument that a 70 is an overall average game with some strong points, not a bad game or even a mediocre game. That's true perhaps of movies or your organic chemistry grades. It's not true of games.

The lower scores from industry girlfriends imply there wasn't enough free stuff handed over to them during the console rollouts and especially not enough cake. Cake is important.

new generation games can never meet their outlandish expectations for features and visuals and crazy notions of "the future of gaming."

You don't get any more nifty perks. Most importantly, no more free cake. The games publishers TELL the FREE PRESS when they can publish reviews of games they're already thoroughly played and evaluated? Give me a break.

It happens in other entertainment arts but it's endemic in games and it's seriously frowned upon in other commercial mediums. It's not journalism. It's not criticism. It's contracted public relations, paid for with cake. These soi-disant members of the fourth estate have sold their professional souls for a goddamn cake. At least the fashion industry used to buy your compliance with girls and cocaine.
    Pretty much this. I don't really pay attention to reviews anymore (this is also due to some personal beliefs). Some of my favorite games have really bad reviews (I'm really loving killzone SF btw). Unfortunately it seems the majority of gamers do (and probably only stick to one reviewer...) This is a serious problem and needs to change. It's killing the industry.

Btw you had me until you mentioned the cocaine vs. cake haha

EDIT:
    You guys are also highlighting a problem. Numerical ratings of games. The scales are subjective to each person.

The worst part is these problems are only going to get worse the bigger the games get and the more money gets pumped into them (bigger risk)
    Last edited by mini E; 11-21-2013 at 18:21.

PS4 Launch Edition
    PS3 60GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
    Phenom II X4 955, HD 7770 1GB, 6GB RAM

If you add my PSN say you're from PSU or I might delete it!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    All the bad part of the game spot review was exactly what I saw leading up. Outside of the laughable script since had no idea about the story. It's actually doing better than I though. Some reviews are definitely not pleased with it.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Superior Member

I actually think Ryse does the job that it was intended to. The games is gorgeous. You can make a strong argument that Ryse is your game if you want a game to show off your fancy new toy. The game-play doesn't appeal to me, but I think a lot of people will really like it.

It seems that it is docked heavily for standard launch game issues. It is short, and a bit unvaried, but what is there actually seems pretty competent.

I would personally like to have a demo just as a set piece to show people. There are people whose opinion I respect who are saying this is the best looking next gen launch game. That is worth something in and of itself.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by justsayin View Post
    I actually think Ryse does the job that it was intended to. The games is gorgeous. You can make a strong argument that Ryse is your game if you want a game to show off your fancy new toy. The game-play doesn't appeal to me, but I think a lot of people will really like it.

It seems that it is docked heavily for standard launch game issues. It is short, and a bit unvaried, but what is there actually seems pretty competent.

I would personally like to have a demo just as a set piece to show people. There are people whose opinion I respect who are saying this is the best looking next gen launch game. That is worth something in and of itself.
    There is no denying the game is gorgeous.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by mini E View Post
    Btw you had me until you mentioned the cocaine vs. cake haha
    Before your time, by quite a ways. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_the_Tiger

Back in the 1960s and 70s, tapering off a lot in the 1980s, the sales and marketing tactics of the apparel industry were notoriously scandalous. The perk payola is still around. It's in the games industry. It's just the perks are not commonly anywhere near so salacious in nature. They're more like expensive custom birthday cakes inspired by video games settings and characters, sometimes made to resemble gaming hardware and peripherals. And other things. Junkets to Monte Carlo and Venice. Various nonsense. Candy dishes full of coke and nineteen-year-old call girls are kind of out of the picture. Although sending cute cosplay girls to press offices, that's similar, though it's pretty much look, don't touch, these days.

In general, I should say. You wouldn't believe what goes on sometimes in some places with some companies. Of course, maybe you would believe it.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-21-2013 at 19:26.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    found this on Neogaf with a bunch of Ryse reviews.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719895

Shacknews - 5/10
    Eurogamer - 5/10
    Polygon - 6/10
    Joystiq - 2.5/5
    Gamespot - 4/10
    IGN - 6.8
    Destructoid - 5/10
    Videogamer.com - 6/10
    EGNNow.com - 7.5/10
    OXM.co.uk - 7/10
    Kotaku - YES
    Gamesradar - 3.5/5
    GameInformer - 6/10
    Rev3Games/Sessler - 2/5
    MMGN - 6.5
    Eurogamer.de: 7/10
    Gameswelt - 7.5/10
    Gamersglobal.de - 6.5/10
    EveryEye.it - 7.5
    Venturebeat: 86/100
    Eurogamer.it: 7/10
    Gametrailers - 7/10
    Metro.co.uk - 3/10
    CVG - 5/10
    T3.com - 3/5
    Wohoah VentureBeat/GamesBeat. Hsu must be a fan.

This is reviewing a little better than I thought. Looks like a 'me' type game though (e.g most people don't like but I find enjoyable).

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Wohoah VentureBeat/GamesBeat. Hsu must be a fan.

This is reviewing a little better than I thought. Looks like a 'me' type game though (e.g most people don't like but I find enjoyable).
    Kotaku is on a roll. Giving "YES" verdicts to both Ryse and Knack.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Looks like a 'me' type game though (e.g most people don't like but I find enjoyable).
    Indeed, I concur. I've got Ryse preordered with DR3 and Forza 5. All of which I intend to enjoy. The hell out of. Even if the games press would prefer I adopt their superior standards and reject such inglorious pretenders to high art.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Kotaku is on a roll. Giving "YES" verdicts to both Ryse and Knack.
    Without darkness there can be no light.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Without darkness there can be no light.
    Well....Kotaku is in the dark. lol. I've been watching this game on twitch. The 4 gamestop gave....pretty accurate, imo.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Having a good story and decent combat would have went a long way for this title. I thought I was going to be able to watch the walk-through to enjoy the graphics. I'm bored of the repetitiveness of the combat from just watching the footage from these reviews. Ain't no way I'm going to be able to sit through hours of this.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

PSN ID
    IshTing
    The game looks about as fun as scooping my eyes out with a spoon. Of course then I wouldn't be able to see them graphics though.

Friendship is Carrots
    So the consensus is that the game looks gorgeous, yet the story is shallow and the gameplay repetitive. Exactly how I - and it seems most others - expected. I remember watching Adam Sessler's review and seeing the combat, thinking how much the game would've been better if it had more enemy variety and better combat (something closer to Demons/Dark Souls). Then it would've been worth the money. If I had an XB1 I'd probably rent and tear through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    they've always been crap at delivering gameplay.
    Crytek? Crysis 1 was actually a lot of fun. But afterwards they've really skimped on the gameplay aspect.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

15. Likes 33x likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    So the consensus is that the game looks gorgeous, yet the story is shallow and the gameplay repetitive. Exactly how I - and it seems most others - expected. I remember watching Adam Sessler's review and seeing the combat, thinking how much the game would've been better if it had more enemy variety and better combat (something closer to Demons/Dark Souls). Then it would've been worth the money. If I had an XB1 I'd probably rent and tear through it.

Crytek? Crysis 1 was actually a lot of fun. But afterwards they've really skimped on the gameplay aspect.
    yeah, Crytek's games have progressively gotten worse since the first Crysis, but they've all have had fabulous graphics.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    is anyone surprised in the slightest?
    No. It had a troubled development history, there were alot of janky previews and hands on user experiences.. Plus, it was made by Crytek. Not saying that they make bad games- certainly the stuff they do is pretty (doubt anyone could argue otherwise), but in a pinch I'm less hopeful they'll pull off a "fresh, console specific IP".. Really, Ryse is just a tech demo for the Xbox One that's interactive.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    yeah, Crytek's games have progressively gotten worse since the first Crysis, but they've all have had fabulous graphics.
    Well, they're middleware people. Isn't Epic about the only middleware company that's also managed to hold solid ground on the creative side -- sure, engineering is creative work too, but I'm talking the common usage of the word "creative" -- of games development? And even they miss sometimes. id used to have that standing, tech and game, but as far as I can tell they've completely lost that. I'm not even sure Carmack actually likes games. He likes pushing hardware to the wall and the most obvious way to do that is in big modern games, but that he really enjoys games, I don't know.

Thread Information