Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Sony is BRILLIANT. They have made such a DRASTICALLY IMPROVED DualShock...

Sony is BRILLIANT. They have made such a DRASTICALLY IMPROVED DualShock4 controller of the previous PS3 Dualshock3 controller that after playing for just a week off and on, it feels weird to go back and play my PS3 with the smaller, harder-to-grip Dualshock3.

Even though I kept my PS3 because after 7 years of owning a PS3, I have collected a TON of games and online downloads for it... I am so gravitated towards the PS4 not just because of the shinier graphics but more for the much better controller. I mean my best games by far are still on my PS3, but I find myself still wanting that sleek Dualshock4 in my hands now.. not the old PS3 controller.

Simply a brilliant upgrade on the part of Sony to improve the controller so drastically. It's an addicting upgrade over its predecessor in every way, shape, and form.

Anyone else agree? Disagree perhaps? compare.jpg

- Zaxx
    Attached Images

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Just battery life. I miss my DS3 battery life. It varied, of course, depending on how much games used vibration and probably some other factors. Some games ate DS3 battery charge for breakfast. DS4 battery life is long enough for almost all gaming sessions but it pretty much requires a recharge unless all you do is play an hour of Resogun. I used to go days of daily gaming without recharging a DS3.

Oh, I should add, I have my PS4 set to route all audio to the controller, though of course without headphones plugged into the DS4, audio reroutes to the receiver and TV. I may be artificially hammering battery life doing that. Though I think it should be smart enough, if it's not playing audio through the controller headphone jack it shouldn't send audio to the controller, no matter how that setting is configured.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-20-2013 at 14:12.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Battery life isn't an issue with me. After several hours playing FIFA14, I was still ok to play Resogun and BF4 for a little over an hour. Still didn't HAVE to charge it.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Battery life isn't an issue with me. After several hours playing FIFA14, I was still ok to play Resogun and BF4 for a little over an hour. Still didn't HAVE to charge it.
    Ours -- we have two -- haven't gone charge-begging or dead yet. They just get down to one bar after several hours of KZ SF. Which could be KZ SF or could be KZ SF compounding battery usage from my controller audio settings. It's not so big a deal I want to change my audio settings over it. Those settings are super convenient for our household, and the controller recharges overnight in standby mode, anyway.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    The fact that I've loved every DualShock iteration that's been released in the past fifteen years really makes me not be able to wait to try the new one!

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'm keeping two controllers.. one always charged and ready to go; just in case. The other option is just plugging it into the console and letting it go like that. I don't have any complaints with the battery life.

7. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxtor99 View Post
    Even though I kept my PS3 because after 7 years of owning a PS3, I have collected a TON of games and online downloads for it... I am so gravitated towards the PS4 not just because of the shinier graphics but more for the much better controller. I mean my best games by far are still on my PS3, but I find myself still wanting that sleek Dualshock4 in my hands now.. not the old PS3 controller.

- Zaxx
    You can use the DS4 on the PS3 - just need to use a USB cable

Only games that would probably give a problem would be games that used Analog input from the face buttons (X, O, ^, [] ) which I don't recall any of my games doing.

Not a big issue for me, but it's the one thing that I'd change about it. After about 8-10hrs I'm down to a bar. No real idea how much longer it has to go. On the DS3 it may or may not have even ticked down a bar at this point.

With a Son that can't remember to plug anything in to charge (Tablet, Phone, PSP, PS Vita, ...) this is an ongoing concern. That said, I've got two controllers and I've got my 2A charger right next to me, which I checked out while playing on Saturday, just to see if I'd be annoyed by it being plugged in. Not an issue.

I'll probably pick up a third controller when I see a $29.99 special like I did w/ the DS3.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 11-20-2013 at 14:45.

Driveclub Team A Head
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Glad to hear that, can' wait to get my hands on one (quite literally) and have ordered 2 because of FIFA 14 and Call of Duty. Strange that some people are complaining about battery life yet the majority seem to be alright, a bad batch maybe!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    NeoTokyoOutlaw
    I'm loving it as well. The 360 controller has been my controller of choice for years, but now it's finally seeing some competition. I can finally play shooters on a Sony console thanks to the new Dualshock. I always felt like I had a case of the $#@! fingers when trying to play shooters with previous Dualshock controllers.

Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    I haven't had any problems so far and I use it for at least 4 to 5 hours per day. I didn't charge them at all yesterday so today I did plug them in and left my PS4 on standby so they charge while I sleep but that's what I planned to do anyway.

Dedicated Member
    I'm gonna say it. I'm currently FAT, lol.
    Going to get alot of that off in the next year, but, yeah.
    So, maybe I hold my controller a bit more passively than some?
    I hold DS3 with my pinky about 1/3 the way up the stalks and my ring fingers just above that and they are curled to hold it in my palms.
    Either against my belly or not, the DS3 is locked into a good position that way. I've never been a HUGE fan of the asymmetric XBO or GC controller configs, thought they were also comfortable.

I'm going to be VERY interested in how DS4 is received in Japan... it may not go over as well as in countries with larger hands. Maybe they will get an S version there IF that becomes an issue.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    The DS4 is awesome. I love it.

Superior Member

Okay, I got a question since so many of you here speak about the battery life...

If you charge a controller well before it starts dying or flashing indicators that it needs to be charged... say you charge it when it's still 70% full... will it mess up the memory or whatever so that it doesn't last as long at that point. I ask because I know that some electronic devices you need to make sure the battery is like almost dead before charging it, or it will totally screw over your max battery life.

If anyone knows the answer for sure, or got a link to accurate data - would be nice to see. I can guess myself, I was wondering if anyone has valid, accurate info on this.

- Zaxx

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    The dualshock 4 uses a lithium battery. They have no memory affect. But because they use a lithium battery, you may notice a 5% decrease in life each month.

PSU Live Streamer
    I'm keeping two controllers.. one always charged and ready to go; just in case. The other option is just plugging it into the console and letting it go like that. I don't have any complaints with the battery life.
    I always have 2 controllers as well, one charging while the other is in use. By using this method on the ps3, I still have the same 2 controllers I bought at launch.

Battery life for me was only an issue for the first charge. After the first full charge it seems to have been better. Sort of like how new cellphone batteries need to be calibrated by draining them fully, then charging them fully.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Exactly the same deal here.

Forum Sage
    Okay, I got a question since so many of you here speak about the battery life...

If you charge a controller well before it starts dying or flashing indicators that it needs to be charged... say you charge it when it's still 70% full... will it mess up the memory or whatever so that it doesn't last as long at that point. I ask because I know that some electronic devices you need to make sure the battery is like almost dead before charging it, or it will totally screw over your max battery life.

If anyone knows the answer for sure, or got a link to accurate data - would be nice to see. I can guess myself, I was wondering if anyone has valid, accurate info on this.

- Zaxx
    No, waiting till it is fully discharged before recharging will have a negative effect on the battery lifespan. Better to charge it while the battery still has some power in it.

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    You can use the Dualshock 4 on your PS3. It just has to be plugged in. I've been playing Dragon's Dogma with it. I bought a cheap usb extension cable and I don't even notice the cable.

Yeah I agree its the most surprising thing you'll find in the console. How good it feels in the hand, the grip, the triggers, the touchpad.. everything!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Doesn't it take just 10mins to fully charge?

But yeah, not sure what takes up the battery. Perhaps the touchpad and/or the speakers?
    I am the oncoming storm.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Doesn't it take just 10mins to fully charge?
    Wrong.

Directly from the Sony PS4 Questions Revealed:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What is the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller’s battery life?

DUALSHOCK 4′s battery life is similar to that of DUALSHOCK 3.

How long will it take to charge DUALSHOCK 4?

It will take about two hours to fully charge DUALSHOCK 4 whether you connect it to a PS4 or use a charging station.

How can users charge DUALSHOCK 4? Does PS4 include a charge cable?

You can charge the DUALSHOCK 4 on a PS4 system whether the system is active or in standby mode using the bundled micro USB charge cable. Licensed charging stations will be available, and universal chargers that support micro USB and the Dedicated Charging Port (DCP) specification can be used to charge DUALSHOCK 4.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...america/#sect4

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Wrong.

Directly from the Sony PS4 Questions Revealed:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What is the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller’s battery life?

DUALSHOCK 4′s battery life is similar to that of DUALSHOCK 3.

How long will it take to charge DUALSHOCK 4?

It will take about two hours to fully charge DUALSHOCK 4 whether you connect it to a PS4 or use a charging station.

How can users charge DUALSHOCK 4? Does PS4 include a charge cable?

You can charge the DUALSHOCK 4 on a PS4 system whether the system is active or in standby mode using the bundled micro USB charge cable. Licensed charging stations will be available, and universal chargers that support micro USB and the Dedicated Charging Port (DCP) specification can be used to charge DUALSHOCK 4.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...america/#sect4
    lol
    ok thanks for that.

(Sheesh sorry I even asked.. )
    I am the oncoming storm.

Master Guru
    I haven't even touched the DS4 yet and i can tell just by looking at it that it's one of the best controllers i'll ever use. I never understood the hate for DS controllers in general but it looks like Sony has put out a controller that people will find hard to complain about.

Forum Overseer
    weird because my DS3 charges within 15 mins

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Sony is BRILLIANT. They have made such a DRASTICALLY IMPROVED DualShock4 controller of the previous PS3 Dualshock3 controller that after playing for just a week off and on, it feels weird to go back and play my PS3 with the smaller, harder-to-grip Dualshock3.

Simply a brilliant upgrade on the part of Sony to improve the controller so drastically. It's an addicting upgrade over its predecessor in every way, shape, and form.

Anyone else agree? Disagree perhaps? compare.jpg

- Zaxx
    I agree completely. I have had zero issues with battery life on my ds4 and it's so much more comfortable. never looking back to a ds3.

moving on Tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Thread Information