Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
Results 26 to 50 of 50
  1. #26
    Dedicated Member
    rene2kx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    12,750 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Same seems to be true for the super slim.

    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayS...Teardown/10670
    My ps3 phat (launch) model from the u.s says 120v 60hz, i imported a slim in 2011, it also has the same 120v 60 hz label. And all ps3's available locally in asia (excl. japan, taiwan) have the 220-240v 50hz label, which means they aren't universal either. And besides, sony has never mentioned on their official site of a universal psu rating for the ps3. I don't know what consoles and from what manufacturing year ifixit got their hands on, but then again they aren't the official say in the matter. Like i said, on voltage specs, the official specs on the manufacturer's site (in this case sony) and/or the labelling the product carries is what is relevant. A site like ifixit or a wiki author won't compensate you if you end up frying your console because of faulty connection.

  2. #27
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,049
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,257 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    My ps3 phat (launch) model from the u.s says 120v 60hz, i imported a slim in 2011, it also has the same 120v 60 hz label. And all ps3's available locally in asia (excl. japan, taiwan) have the 220-240v 50hz label, which means they aren't universal either. And besides, sony has never mentioned on their official site of a universal psu rating for the ps3. I don't know what consoles and from what manufacturing year ifixit got their hands on, but then again they aren't the official say in the matter. Like i said, on voltage specs, the official specs on the manufacturer's site (in this case sony) and/or the labelling the product carries is what is relevant. A site like ifixit or a wiki author won't compensate you if you end up frying your console because of faulty connection.
    No, they won't, but doesn't mean they aren't universal. My PS4 has a 120v label as well. So the label is targeted to the country. Either way, like I said, better to be safe than sorry and go by the label.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  3. #28
    Dedicated Member
    rene2kx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    12,750 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    No, they won't, but doesn't mean they aren't universal. My PS4 has a 120v label as well. So the label is targeted to the country. Either way, like I said, better to be safe than sorry and go by the label.
    I already told you regarding your 'label is targetted to the country' argument, why then sony shows universal rating with the ps4 on the u.s site, but not with the ps3? You're not getting it. If a psu is indeed universal, sony does not hide it, they mention it in their product specs as well on the product labelling. I've been importing sony products from the u.s for over a decade and if any of their product carries a universal psu, it is outrightly stated in their product specs.

  4. #29
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,049
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,257 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    I already told you regarding your 'label is targetted to the country' argument, why then sony shows universal rating with the ps4 on the u.s site, but not with the ps3? You're not getting it. If a psu is indeed universal, sony does not hide it, they mention it in their product specs as well on the product labelling. I've been importing sony products from the u.s for over a decade and if any of their product carries a universal psu, it is outrightly stated in their product specs.
    sigh.....you were wrong. see pics. /end
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  5. #30
    Shogun of the Ban Thread
    ManaBurnX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    Posts
    1,476
    Rep Power
    52
    Points
    325 (0 Banked)
    I can confirm that the PS3 including the original and slim and ps4 all work on 220. I lived in Thailand where the voltage is 220 and imported my systems from the US. It's true they don't say they support it on the bottom of the system but after watching the teardown video and seeing it work as well as asking around in the local game shops I tried it out and it worked fine. I used my PS3 fat there since launch, as well as another fat a couple years later for the wife and a slim there without any problems. I also used the US PS4 there when it first launched and had no problems with it as well.

  6. Likes MonkeyClaw, Christopher likes this post
  7. #31
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah switched mode power supplies are pretty cheap these days, yes it likely has simply a sticker replaced on the actual outside.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  8. #32
    Dedicated Member
    rene2kx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    12,750 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    sigh.....you were wrong. see pics. /end
    so ifixit pictures are more credible than what the manufacturer's site says. i could post a ton of pictures that would only carry the 120v label (including my own consoles). your argument is irrational because sony's official site is stating that ps4 has a universal psu and ps3 doesn't in the official product specs, and you are ignoring it while giving credibility to other sources. this is only the playstation's NA site, show me any country specific site where sony states the ps3's psu as 100-240v. there is none. however, with the ps4, sony does state it. you can go back and believe ifixit or any awesome site that comes up in your google search, i'll just believe sony.

  9. #33
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,049
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,257 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    so ifixit pictures are more credible than what the manufacturer's site says. i could post a ton of pictures that would only carry the 120v label (including my own consoles). your argument is irrational because sony's official site is stating that ps4 has a universal psu and ps3 doesn't in the official product specs, and you are ignoring it while giving credibility to other sources. this is only the playstation's NA site, show me any country specific site where sony states the ps3's psu as 100-240v. there is none. however, with the ps4, sony does state it. you can go back and believe ifixit or any awesome site that comes up in your google search, i'll just believe sony.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManaBurnX View Post
    I can confirm that the PS3 including the original and slim and ps4 all work on 220. I lived in Thailand where the voltage is 220 and imported my systems from the US. It's true they don't say they support it on the bottom of the system but after watching the teardown video and seeing it work as well as asking around in the local game shops I tried it out and it worked fine. I used my PS3 fat there since launch, as well as another fat a couple years later for the wife and a slim there without any problems. I also used the US PS4 there when it first launched and had no problems with it as well.
    Sony wouldn't be the first/last company to officially support less than what the product is capable of.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  10. #34
    Dedicated Member
    rene2kx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    12,750 (0 Banked)
    ^lol so that's your official source now? if you can bring up a sony source or site (any worldwide sony site) stating a universal psu for ps3, then put it up, otherwise don't argue. If a sony product is universal, they don't hide it, they mention it in the product spec (like they have done with ps4).

  11. #35
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,049
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,257 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    ^lol so that's your official source now? if you can bring up a sony source or site (any worldwide sony site) stating a universal psu for ps3, then put it up, otherwise don't argue. If a sony product is universal, they don't hide it, they mention it in the product spec.
    Jesus....whatever, dude. Believe what you want to believe.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  12. #36
    Dedicated Member
    rene2kx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    12,750 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Jesus....whatever, dude. Believe what you want to believe.
    That basically applies to you, all along trying to prove ps3 does have a universal psu, quoting sources but ignoring the official source. And all this arguing you are doing for an issue that doesn't even have relevance to you as you are not in a 220v country and import from u.s. So yeah, believe what you want to to believe, it's immaterial. I'll just go by the official word. Ta'

  13. #37
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,049
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,257 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    That basically applies to you, all along trying to prove ps3 does have a universal psu, quoting sources but ignoring the official source. And all this arguing you are doing for an issue that doesn't even have relevance to you as you are not in a 220v country and import from u.s. So yeah, believe what you want to to believe, it's immaterial. I'll just go by the official word. Ta'
    sigh.....let's just agree to disagree.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  14. #38
    Chocolatier to the Stars
    TidalPhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Posts
    11,585
    Rep Power
    116
    Points
    13,174 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    ​aka Sparc

  15. #39
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Psh, you could have told them what it says

    Only the CECHC & certain CECHG PS3s don't have universal power supplies.
    Thats the 60gb PAL original -CECHCxx - Model C - console in Australia / New Zealand, U.K. / Ireland, Europe / Middle East / Africa and Russia / India.

    And

    The 40gb PS3 -CECHGxx - Model G - console in all regions except Japan.

    SOME 40GB MODELS ARE CECHH so you will need to check.
    Last edited by mynd; 04-15-2014 at 08:29.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  16. #40
    Chocolatier to the Stars
    TidalPhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Posts
    11,585
    Rep Power
    116
    Points
    13,174 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Psh, you could have told them what it says
    Could have, but that doesn't help anyone who comes to this thread later and has the same question for a different model.

    ​aka Sparc

  17. #41
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,049
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,257 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Below is a chart for the power supplies for all current PS3 models. As you can see in the chart your model has a universal power supply, the one at the top. The lable says 120V because that is what the rated american voltage is. Only the CECHC & certain CECHG PS3s don't have universal power supplies...

    Model Sony Part Number Power Input (AC) Power Output (DC) Pins Weight Found In Compatibility
    ZSSR539IA 1-474-036-11 100V-240V 6.0A 12V 32A 5V 3A 5 815g CECHA, CECHB A B
    APS-226 1-474-037-11 100V-240V 4.8-2.0A 12V 32A 5V 3A 5 770g CECHA A B
    APS-227 1-474-046-11 220V-240V 2.2A 12V 32A 5V 3A 5 900g CECHC C
    APS-231 1-474-073-11 100V-240V 3.5-1.5A 12V 23.5A 5V 0.6A 5 700g CECHG A B E G
    LSEB1226B1 1-474-074-11 220V-240V 1.7-1.6A 12V 23.5A 5V 0.6A 5 CECHG G
    LSEB1254A1 1-474-081-11 220V-240V 1.7-1.6A 12V 23.5A 5V 0.6A 5 CECHG G
    EADP-300AB 1-474-084-11 100V-240V 3.6-1.5A 12V 23.5A 5V 0.6A 3 CECHH H
    APS-239 1-474-087-11 100V-240V 3.5-1.5A 12V 23.5A 5V 0.6A 3 CECHH,CECHK, H K
    EADP-260AB 1-474-104-11 100V-240V 3.3-1.4A 12V 21.5A 5V 0.6A 3 CECHK H K (Some L)
    APS-240 1-474-126-11 100V-240V 3.3-1.4A 12V 21A 5.5V 0.9A 4 CECHL L P
    EADP-260BB 1-474-129-11 100V-240V 3.3-1.4A 12V 21A 5.5V 0.9A 4 L P
    EADP-220BB 1-474-175-11 100V-240V 3.2-1.2A 12V 18A 5.5V 0.9A 4 442g CECH-20xx 20xx
    APS-250 ? 1-474-177-11 1-474-177-12 100V-240V 2.7-1.2A 12V 18A 5.5V 0.9A 4 CECH-20xx 20xx
    APS-270 1-474-216-11 100V-240V 2.5-1.1A 12V 16A 5.5V 0.9A 4 384g CECH-25xx 25xx, ?
    EADP-200DB ? 1-474-217-11 100V-240V 2.6-1.0A 12V 16A 5.5V 0.9A 4 412g CECH-21xx 21xx, 25xx, ?
    EADP-185AB 100V-240V 2.1-0.8A 12V 13A 5.5V 0.9A ? 382g CECH-30xx 30xx, ?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  18. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
  19. #42
    Dedicated Member
    rene2kx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    12,750 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Below is a chart for the power supplies for all current PS3 models. As you can see in the chart your model has a universal power supply, the one at the top. The lable says 120V because that is what the rated american voltage is. Only the CECHC & certain CECHG PS3s don't have universal power supplies...

    Model Sony Part Number Power Input (AC) Power Output (DC) Pins Weight Found In Compatibility
    ZSSR539IA 1-474-036-11 100V-240V 6.0A 12V 32A 5V 3A 5 815g CECHA, CECHB A B
    APS-226 1-474-037-11 100V-240V 4.8-2.0A 12V 32A 5V 3A 5 770g CECHA A B
    APS-227 1-474-046-11 220V-240V 2.2A 12V 32A 5V 3A 5 900g CECHC C
    APS-231 1-474-073-11 100V-240V 3.5-1.5A 12V 23.5A 5V 0.6A 5 700g CECHG A B E G
    LSEB1226B1 1-474-074-11 220V-240V 1.7-1.6A 12V 23.5A 5V 0.6A 5 CECHG G
    LSEB1254A1 1-474-081-11 220V-240V 1.7-1.6A 12V 23.5A 5V 0.6A 5 CECHG G
    EADP-300AB 1-474-084-11 100V-240V 3.6-1.5A 12V 23.5A 5V 0.6A 3 CECHH H
    APS-239 1-474-087-11 100V-240V 3.5-1.5A 12V 23.5A 5V 0.6A 3 CECHH,CECHK, H K
    EADP-260AB 1-474-104-11 100V-240V 3.3-1.4A 12V 21.5A 5V 0.6A 3 CECHK H K (Some L)
    APS-240 1-474-126-11 100V-240V 3.3-1.4A 12V 21A 5.5V 0.9A 4 CECHL L P
    EADP-260BB 1-474-129-11 100V-240V 3.3-1.4A 12V 21A 5.5V 0.9A 4 L P
    EADP-220BB 1-474-175-11 100V-240V 3.2-1.2A 12V 18A 5.5V 0.9A 4 442g CECH-20xx 20xx
    APS-250 ? 1-474-177-11 1-474-177-12 100V-240V 2.7-1.2A 12V 18A 5.5V 0.9A 4 CECH-20xx 20xx
    APS-270 1-474-216-11 100V-240V 2.5-1.1A 12V 16A 5.5V 0.9A 4 384g CECH-25xx 25xx, ?
    EADP-200DB ? 1-474-217-11 100V-240V 2.6-1.0A 12V 16A 5.5V 0.9A 4 412g CECH-21xx 21xx, 25xx, ?
    EADP-185AB 100V-240V 2.1-0.8A 12V 13A 5.5V 0.9A ? 382g CECH-30xx 30xx, ?
    So sony mvp on the official ps forums posts (2012) that certain models have universal psu's, some don't. But look what sony's support page for ps3 says:
    (updated 05/06/2013)
    In addition, we do not recommend traveling with your North American PlayStation hardware outside of North America. Due to a difference in international television and voltage standards, the North American PlayStation hardware may not be compatible for use outside of North America. In addition, North American PlayStation hardware only supports a power supply of 120V AC, 60 Hz. We do not have any information on adapters or converters made to override territorial restrictions. The various PlayStation consoles and format software titles are only designed to run in their respective regions and countries.
    https://support.us.playstation.com/a.../916/related/1

    Their product tech specs page neither mentioned a universal psu. And when i emailed SCEA in 2006 to enquire at the time of importing, no is the response i received asking about a universal psu. So if there have been models, as per the sony mvp, that have universal psu's , sony has never been specific about it.

    With the ps4, hopefully they'll remain clear all along and maintain the info on the product tech spec page as well as on the labelling, because the ps4 does indeed house a universal psu since launch.

    Any company would have no reason to conceal such info because it can actualy serve as a selling point to some people. For instance, folks from eu/asia currently living in the states who plan to carry back the console to their country or an american who holidays abroad can be assured he can use the console anywhere in the world.
    Last edited by rene2kx; 04-15-2014 at 15:20.

  20. #43
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,049
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,257 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    For the record, I have no idea how accurate that chart is. There is evidence that at least some models have universal power supplies, but Sony only supports power specs for the country the unit is sold in so as I previously said, better safe than sorry, go by the label.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  21. #44
    Dedicated Member
    rene2kx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    12,750 (0 Banked)
    Yeah, i always check the tech spec info and the product label before directly plugging it into the wall. There are quite a few products sold in NA by sony that have the universal rating label and many don't as well. Most of their digital camcorders sold in the u.s, for instance, have universal power bricks which is mentioned on the power brick label and i never hesitate plugging it directly in the wall socket. Not like i'm fond of voltage converters or something. But the products that don't mention it, i plug them through the step down voltage converter. I've had an incidence where i've wrecked a product in the past, so i'm more attentive to this thing.

  22. #45
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,077
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    24,533 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManaBurnX View Post
    I can confirm that you can use it in your country as I have the US PS4 and I live in Thailand. The voltage here is also 220 and it works without any problems.
    ...any reason you got a US PS4?

  23. #46
    Shogun of the Ban Thread
    ManaBurnX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    Posts
    1,476
    Rep Power
    52
    Points
    325 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    ...any reason you got a US PS4?
    I got it when it first launched. I pre-ordered it from Amazon. It didn't arrive to Thailand until much later and there was a big markup.

    Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

  24. #47
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,077
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    24,533 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManaBurnX View Post
    I got it when it first launched. I pre-ordered it from Amazon. It didn't arrive to Thailand until much later and there was a big markup.

    Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
    I mean, wouldn't it have been easier to get one from Thailand? Or was it not set to release there?

  25. #48
    Forum Elder
    chrisw26308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,617
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    13,219 (0 Banked)
    You mean these things aren't solar powered?

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  26. #49
    Shogun of the Ban Thread
    ManaBurnX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    Posts
    1,476
    Rep Power
    52
    Points
    325 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    I mean, wouldn't it have been easier to get one from Thailand? Or was it not set to release there?
    Thailand didn't get it until around Feb and the price was much higher.


    Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

  27. #50
    I'm A Monster!
    efs5030's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,572
    Rep Power
    62
    Points
    3,097 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    No it will die if you don't use a converter


    Sent from your wife's bed on my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

    Sig By FinalReaper.
    Socom/Trophy Card.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.