Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

PS4 Power Supply

I have recently bought a PS4 from the US, but I live in Egypt. Does the US PS4 have a universal power supply?

Will it work without changing the cord or without a converter/adapter? Will it work with just a plug?

I don't want to fry it. Any help would be appreciated!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    I think I read it was rated 120-250v somewhere, I'll have a quick search..

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    It's rated 100-240v, you should be ok with the correct adaptor/power lead.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayS...n/19493#s54783
    Last edited by Malt; 11-20-2013 at 19:39.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Yep, universal, just like the PS3!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    I can confirm that you can use it in your country as I have the US PS4 and I live in Thailand. The voltage here is also 220 and it works without any problems.

Did you change the power cord? Cuz it says 120V on the power cord!

Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    Nope, no need. The power brick is what you have to look at and it's internal. The US consoles say 110 probably so they don't confuse anyone who uses it there. I'm using the cord that came with it.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901

PS4 Power Supply

ok so I read about UPS's in another thread and I asked my brother about it (degree in computers, tech savvy etc.) and he said that it probably wouldn't be worth it. to get a decent one is kind of expensive plus, throughout the years I had my ps3 it's lost power mid game multiple times and no HDD malfunctions. he said I'd be better of investing that money into getting a helluva surge protector(already got one he suggested a better one). he said it boils down to a "might malfunction vs. guaranteed complete fry"
    your guys thoughts?

moving on Tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Surge protector sockets can often trip RCDs or GFIs.
    Some types of Surge protectors often dump the excess voltage down the earth/ground wire so causes the RCD to trip.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Surge protectors can often trip RCDs or GFIs.
    Some types of Surge protectors often dump the excess voltage down the earth/ground wire so causes the RCD to trip.
    yeeeeeaaaa ok a bit simpler if u please sir wtf is RCD and GFI

moving on Tapatalk

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Residual current device
    Ground fault interrupter

They are designed to protect humans first and foremost.
    They cut the power if there is current leaking into the ground wire. As little as 30mA leakage causes them to trip. That is 30 thousands of 1 Amp

Some houses only have 1 RCD/GFI in the fuse box and that covers the whole house so if it trips everything goes off. So if the surge protector dumps its excess down the ground wire it can cause these devices to cut the power because that s their job it assumes there is a fault.

You might not have such a device in your home though.
    Last edited by keefy; 11-22-2013 at 17:00.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Residual current device
    Ground fault interrupter

They are designed to protect humans first and foremost.
    They cut the power if there is current leaking into the ground wire. As little as 30mA leakage causes them to trip. That is 30 thousands of 1 Amp

Some houses only have 1 RCD/GFI in the fuse box and that covers the whole house so if it trips everything goes off. So if the surge protector dumps its excess down the ground wire it can cause these devices to cut the power because that s their job it assumes there is a fault.

You might not have such a device in your home though.
    I see. I will be checking on this. thanks for the clarification

moving on Tapatalk

Smile Power supply rating for PS4 (CUH-1000A) bought from USA

I have checked from Sony Corporation of America Site which they listed all the specification of the PS4 launched in America. Which stated that the power supply is ( AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz ).
    Attached is the URL address :
    http://www.sony.com/SCA/company-news...riety-of.shtml

Regards,

Master Guru
    The PS4's power supply is universal. You're all set.

I did not know about the universal power in PS4

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Yep, universal, just like the PS3!
    No, ps3's psu is not universal, i imported ps3 phat and slim models from the u.s., both are 120 volt/60 cycles and require a step down voltage converter in countries operating on 220. But with the ps4, sony has used a universal 110-240v psu, going by their official specs.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    No, ps3's psu is not universal, i imported ps3 phat and slim models from the u.s., both are 120 volt/60 cycles and require a step down voltage converter in countries operating on 220. But with the ps4, sony has used a universal 110-240v psu, going by their official specs.
    Everything I have read says the PS3 is universal as well.

http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/30996323

All PS3 models have universal power supplies, the only thing that will vary is the power cord...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySta...specifications

The power supply can operate on both 60 Hz and 50 Hz power grids. It uses a standard IEC 60320 C14 (IEC 60320 C8 for the PS3 slim) connector and a C13 (C7 for the PS3 slim) power cord appropriate for the region it is being used in. The power supply on the "fat" model is 380 W. This was reduced to 250 W in the 120 GB "Slim" model. PS3 Slim models have labels indicating localized input requirements for power (110 V 60 Hz for North American and Japanese models and 220-240 V 50 Hz for European and Australian models), however teardowns have revealed the power supplies are still universal.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

18. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Everything I have read says the PS3 is universal as well.

http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/30996323
    Oh no, i can show you the labelling underneath the ps3 NA console, and if you still retain your american ps3, you can check the voltage rating label yourself, it says 120v 60 hz (for all north american and japanese consoles). You should never use a NA device in countries operating on 220v without a step down converter, unless the voltage rating says 110-240v 50/60hz. That claim above that even though ps3 shows 120v 60 hz for NA and japanese models but still the psu is universal has never been officially verified by sony.

Secondly a power cord rating isn't relevant, even cords that are stamped with 120v can easily pass through 220v. What is relevant is the psu and if that isn't universal, you could fry your NA device in a 220v operating countrt by essentially feeding the device double the voltage.
    Last edited by rene2kx; 04-14-2014 at 22:14.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Oh no, i can show you the labelling underneath the ps3 NA console, and if you still retain your american ps3, you can check the voltage rating label yourself, it says 120v 60 hz (for all north american and japanese consoles). You should never use a NA device in countries operating on 220v without a step down converter, unless the voltage rating says 110-240v 50/60hz. That claim above that even though ps3 shows 120v 60 hz for NA and japanese models but still the psu is universal has never been officially verified by sony.

Secondly a power cord rating isn't relevant, even cords that are stamped with 120v can easily pass through 220v. What is relevant is the psu and if that isn't universal, you could fry your NA device in a 220v operating countrt by essentially feeding the device double the voltage.
    So you're saying the internet is wrong?!?!? gasp!

My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Dedicated Member
    So you're saying the internet is wrong?!?!? gasp!
    Sony has never stated in the ps3 specs or the voltage rating label that they use a universal psu in the ps3, i dont care about internet speculation. When the ps3 got released in my country few years later (though i had already imported it), even it doesn't use a universal psu. ps3's sold in asia (outside japan, taiwan) all carry a 220-240v 50 hz voltage label. With the ps4, sony has resorted to universal psu, as confirmed by the specs on their site.

Here are the current US ps3 tech specs from us.playstation.com
    It says
    Power
    AC 120, 60Hz
    http://us.playstation.com/ps3/techsp...gb-bundle.html

If ps3 had a universal psu , there is absolutely no reason why sony wouldn't mention 100-240v 50/60 hz, like they actually do with the ps4.
    Last edited by rene2kx; 04-14-2014 at 22:52.

Yeah......I really have no idea. Seems like they are universal though....just the label is set for the country where it was targeted. Probably better safe than sorry.

edit: Just saw your editing. Yeah, no idea why Sony changed this up for the PS4.
    Last edited by Christopher; 04-14-2014 at 22:56.

Dedicated Member
    Yeah......I really have no idea. Seems like they are universal though....just the label is set for the country where it was targeted. Probably better safe than sorry.
    If the label is set for the targetted country, then why does the us playstation site show a universal rating for the ps4, but not for the ps3? The simple reason is because the former is universal and the latter isn't. Like i said, if ps3 indeed had a universal psu, there is no reason why sony would hide it on their official site, it can actually serve as a selling point to some people from eu/asia who currently put up in the us and plan to carry back the console to their country.

On voltage specs, i've always believed information originating directly from the horse's mouth. The internet can tell you a lot of different things, but it isn't official. I imported the ps3 from the u.s. in 2006 and i've kept notice of the voltage specs on sony's site (as they are of relevance to me). It has always stated 120v 60 hz, just like it does now in the link i provided above. The label underneath the console also states the same.
    With the ps4, they resorted to universal psu since launch and they outrightly mention it on their site.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Well, I decided to look underneath my launch PS3, and sure enough, it says nothing about being a universal power supply! I had thought I remember it saying it being universal, but I guess that was just on my slim model...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

If the label is set for the targetted country, then why does the us playstation site show a universal rating for the ps4, but not for the ps3? The simple reason is because the former is universal and the latter isn't. Like i said, if ps3 indeed had a universal psu, there is no reason why sony would hide it on their official site, it can actually serve as a selling point to some people from eu/asia who currently put up in the us and plan to carry back the console to their country.

On voltage specs, i've always believed information originating directly from the horse's mouth. The internet can tell you a lot of different things, but it isn't official. I imported the ps3 from the u.s. in 2006 and i've kept notice of the voltage specs on sony's site (as they are of relevance to me). It has always stated 120v 60 hz, just like it does now in the link i provided above. The label underneath the console also states the same.
    With the ps4, they resorted to universal psu since launch and they outrightly mention it on their site.
    Good policy. Like I said, I don't know if it is or not. I'd go by the label as well to be safe....like I said.

edit: ifixit's teardown reveals a universal power supply in the slim. So some are at least.

edit2: the label on the outside says 120v

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayS...+Teardown/1121

Last edited by Christopher; 04-15-2014 at 00:21.

Same seems to be true for the super slim.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayS...Teardown/10670

In a similar fashion to the PS3 Slim, the power supply is designed for inputs ranging from 100V to 240V AC, making it usable across the globe.

Thread Information