Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus

League of Legends

I don't see a thread for this game, and it being the most played game in the world now I think it deserves a thread. Who plays and what rank are you? Are you excitied for the new Season 4 changes?

I've been playing since the game came out and am currently Gold.

Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Never got into it. A friend of mine lives on it though. I have Dota2 and i've always said i'd force myself to get into it but I can't seem to muster up the urge to play.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Yeah, my first MOBA was the original DOTA but theirs just something about league that has had me hooked well over 3 years now lol.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    There will be a big tournament this weekend at Dreamhack in Sweden.

http://www.dreamhack.se/dhw13/2013/1...ters-schedule/

I try to watch this gmae as a spectator but I have no clue whats going on. IT makes no sense to me Luckily there will be Quake Live there too
    Last edited by keefy; 11-26-2013 at 10:06.

Superior Member
    Items Dark Souls CoverPS3 Slim
    I tried LoL about a year ago but didn't really understand it and I had nobody to play with to teach me so I kind of got turned off by the whole MOBA thing. Then a few months ago I had a new friend who plays Dota 2 and he talked me into giving it a try, and with his help explaining it, I learned how to play it and eventually grew to love it. I do alright for someone new at the game, but I definitely still have a ways to go. I'd give LoL another shot though if maybe you wanted to play sometime. I know obviously there are differences between the two games, but I am curious to how I'd like LoL now that I better understand how to play a MOBA.

One thing I wish LoL did though was make all the champions free. That was one thing that annoyed me when I tried it out because I could never get used to a character because they kept changing out the free ones. I know that's because they want you to buy them, but I didn't want to spend money on a game that I was just testing out. Then in Dota 2 I got all the heroes for free and I was able to learn how to play as them at my own pace. I now have my favorite heroes and I'm fine with spending money on items for them.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    All champions are free, what you need to do is save up your in-game points (forgot what they're called) and then spend them on characters you want to play. The ones I purchased came from playing them in the weekly 10 random champions switch. You can purchase them with real money if you like or you could do what I did and grind them out.

I'm thinking about getting back into LoL as the guys I play with have been wanting a support and they can't find anyone that could do as good a job as I could do and they've been screaming for a year now . I'm only level 27 though so they'd have to wait till I hit 30 till I can hit the tournaments like they can.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOnyx View Post
    I tried LoL about a year ago but didn't really understand it and I had nobody to play with to teach me so I kind of got turned off by the whole MOBA thing. Then a few months ago I had a new friend who plays Dota 2 and he talked me into giving it a try, and with his help explaining it, I learned how to play it and eventually grew to love it. I do alright for someone new at the game, but I definitely still have a ways to go. I'd give LoL another shot though if maybe you wanted to play sometime. I know obviously there are differences between the two games, but I am curious to how I'd like LoL now that I better understand how to play a MOBA.

One thing I wish LoL did though was make all the champions free. That was one thing that annoyed me when I tried it out because I could never get used to a character because they kept changing out the free ones. I know that's because they want you to buy them, but I didn't want to spend money on a game that I was just testing out. Then in Dota 2 I got all the heroes for free and I was able to learn how to play as them at my own pace. I now have my favorite heroes and I'm fine with spending money on items for them.

Yeah, MOBA's are a new genre of gaming still and there definitely is a learning curve. If you know DOTA2 you will know LoL for the most part, just need to adjust to things like the damage taken from towers, champions, items, etc. I'd be down to help you play, the game isn't as fun by yourself unless you get to level 30 and start doing ranked games, my summoner name is Moonlíght just copy and paste it, the "i" is a foreign i instead of a normal i.

And like the other guy said, you don't have to spend money in the game at all. The only thing required to spend money is skins/costumes which has nothing to do with gameplay at all. You can buy champions with money if you don't want to grind though. There is 2 currencies, IP(Influence Points) is points earned from playing and RP(Riot Points) is earned by spending money.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    Yeah, MOBA's are a new genre of gaming still and there definitely is a learning curve. If you know DOTA2 you will know LoL for the most part, just need to adjust to things like the damage taken from towers, champions, items, etc. I'd be down to help you play, the game isn't as fun by yourself unless you get to level 30 and start doing ranked games, my summoner name is Moonlíght just copy and paste it, the "i" is a foreign i instead of a normal i.

And like the other guy said, you don't have to spend money in the game at all. The only thing required to spend money is skins/costumes which has nothing to do with gameplay at all. You can buy champions with money if you don't want to grind though. There is 2 currencies, IP(Influence Points) is points earned from playing and RP(Riot Points) is earned by spending money.
    Yeah I'd definitely would like to play sometime. I just re-downloaded the game and I think I'll give it a try, but we can play sometime. If you want you can send me a friend request on Steam and then the next time I see you on we can play. My Steam name is pgray1410.

That's great that you don't have to pay for the champions. I don't know how quickly you receive in game currencies though, so unless I play a ton of it I don't know if that really helps the whole problem with not having enough time to get use to the free champions. But I suppose over time that wouldnt be a problem. I like playing as support the best, and my favorite hero in Dota 2 is Disruptor. I'm hoping I can find someone similar to him on LoL. But yeah, I'm going to give it a try in a little while so I'll let you know how it goes.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    If there is any EUW players that want to add me, I play LoL a lot and just started working on videos for a LoL channel.
    Summoner name: Agreil

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Yeah I'd definitely would like to play sometime. I just re-downloaded the game and I think I'll give it a try, but we can play sometime. If you want you can send me a friend request on Steam and then the next time I see you on we can play. My Steam name is pgray1410.

That's great that you don't have to pay for the champions. I don't know how quickly you receive in game currencies though, so unless I play a ton of it I don't know if that really helps the whole problem with not having enough time to get use to the free champions. But I suppose over time that wouldnt be a problem. I like playing as support the best, and my favorite hero in Dota 2 is Disruptor. I'm hoping I can find someone similar to him on LoL. But yeah, I'm going to give it a try in a little while so I'll let you know how it goes.
    Yeah, I'll add you once I get home.

Getting points isn't too bad, if you play a decent amount you can get 6300IP in a week which is how much the most expensive champions cost, there are some for 450, 1350 and 3150 as well so you'll be able to buy them easily. Also everyday you get a bonus amount for winning your first game of the day which itself can be 250-330 points, normal winning points are around 80-110 depending on game length and losses give around 45-70ish. And yeah I'm sure there is a similar champion as well.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog

At first while you learn champions you dont really need to buy one, they change the free champions every week. You can gain IP pretty quick once you start playing often enough and you can just buy champs you are interested in.
    I rarely buy champions.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriel View Post
    At first while you learn champions you dont really need to buy one, they change the free champions every week. You can gain IP pretty quick once you start playing often enough and you can just buy champs you are interested in.
    I rarely buy champions.
    Sounds good. I don't why I always thought you had to buy the champions with real money, makes sense that there is an in game currency as well.

Anyways though, I've been really busy the past few days but I finally got around to trying out LoL tonight. I only did the tutorial bot match since it was my first time in forever playing it, but I completely dominated it so I probably should have at least played with people against bots. It was a lot of fun though, more than I remember, which obviously is because I know how to play MOBA's now. It seems like a faster paced game than Dota 2 as well, I don't know if it really is or not but it seems like to me. The map seems a little smaller as well. I'm tired and so I'm going to bed now but I definitely want to play more.

I do have one question though, I don't if anybody can help me with this, but for some reason my name in the game is showing up as like a bunch of random letters and numbers. It should say "NightOnyx" which is my name user name for the game. The only thing I can think of is it reset it to something random when I recovered my user name and password because I forgot it since it's been so long. Maybe I'm blind but I don't know where to change it back to where it just shows "NightOnyx". I looked on the website but I only saw a place to change your password, not your user name. Anybody know what to do?

Thread Information