Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

FUD Alert: Amazon stops selling Launch Day PS4s

Amazon suppresses PS4 sales; DOA systems may be at fault

By Josh Boykin on November 16, 2013@JoshBatman

Launch-day sales issues are a familiar beast for gamers when a new console touches ground, but Sony’s Playstation 4 has gathered a particularly bad cloud of press on Amazon.com. With almost 40% one-star user-submitted reviews at the time of this article’s writing, the dominant problem is obvious: dead-on-arrival systems that flash a new “Blue Light of Death.” So many low reviews and complaints have come in that Sony has requested that Amazon cease selling the unit until the problem is addressed.
    According to a NeoGAF thread, Amazon Customer Support reports that Sony has halted production on the system until they can address the issues arising with the sold units. Amazon sellers who log in and attempt to sell a PS4 are confronted with a message that “the ability to create a listing for this item has been restricted.” So much for all those folks hoping to jump in and sell their couple extra systems for a quick buck on the website. Many people are still selling their systems on EBay, though likely not for the premium price they hoped for; yesterday units were selling for $600 or over a piece; now many auctions are ending the $450-$500 range.

Even with this said, many users have gotten online and are using their PS4s successfully (members of the GotGame staff included). Remember that there are 420 5-star reviews on Amazon right now for the base system, and generally pissed-off users are more likely to get up and leave reviews than people too busy playing their systems. Commentors on the NeoGAF thread seem to be pointing to poor shipping containers and packaging as the source of many unusable units; we’ll have to wait to hear officially from Sony and other sources about just how many estimated users are dealing with faulty hardware and what the strategy to address those problems will be.
    One question remains: with the XBox One launch around the corner, will these reported failures impact the sales of Microsoft’s next-gen console? Leave your theories in the comments.

http://gotgame.com/2013/11/16/amazon-suppresses-ps4-sales/

I don't think it could possibly be because the system has already launched lol. Dat production halt!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    This is why I never buy consoles at launch lol.

Elite Member
    You don't need to buy the product from amazon to leave a review. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of trolls there.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    You don't need to buy the product from amazon to leave a review. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of trolls there.
    That is Amazon's biggest problem with reviews. Makes no sense that they let anyone leave a review.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    lol....guess what I see if I try to sell an Xbox One with my seller account on Amazon.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE:**Please note: The item for which you have attempted to create a listing is a restricted item.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    That is Amazon's biggest problem with reviews. Makes no sense that they let anyone leave a review.
    Yeah, i believe some people actually got DOA consoles but you know it's a sad world and at the very least half of those reviews are fake. Oh well, the PS4 has over 2,000 5 star reviews so the majority of the people who have bought a PS4 are letting it be known they've had no issues and they love the console.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    lol....guess what I see if I try to sell an Xbox One with my seller account on Amazon.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE:**Please note: The item for which you have attempted to create a listing is a restricted item.
    OMG, they must have stopped producing Xbox One as well!

8. Likes Saigon, Christopher likes this post
    Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Indeed...and now yahoo has it on their homepage that the PS4 has the blue light of death. Reading the article they say that Sony reports it at less than 1% but they keep highlighting that means more than 10,000 consoles and also big highlight pointing out amazon has a failure rate or 1 star rating of 25%!! and make a big deal out of it. Just goes to show that reporters are trash...just post any fud to get hits. So...the fact that amazon's review system is broken has no meaning...and taking those reviews as fact that the PS4 is broken on launch and Sony has a PR issue (that yahoo is creating for web hits) is the worst journalism I've ever seen...thats like letting a 12 yr old write and article using faulty logic. We all know amazon has a faulty review system and now we have faulty web engines making a big deal about a made up problem. Go figure.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by davin_g View Post
    Indeed...and now yahoo has it on their homepage that the PS4 has the blue light of death. Reading the article they say that Sony reports it at less than 1% but they keep highlighting that means more than 10,000 consoles and also big highlight pointing out amazon has a failure rate or 1 star rating of 25%!! and make a big deal out of it. Just goes to show that reporters are trash...just post any fud to get hits. So...the fact that amazon's review system is broken has no meaning...and taking those reviews as fact that the PS4 is broken on launch and Sony has a PR issue (that yahoo is creating for web hits) is the worst journalism I've ever seen...thats like letting a 12 yr old write and article using faulty logic. We all know amazon has a faulty review system and now we have faulty web engines making a big deal about a made up problem. Go figure.
    I actually hate yahoo games. They are more biased than any of the well known biased websites like Kataku and Poly. They always make it seem like something is wrong and you shouldn't buy into any type of game or platform. And they have something fierce against Sony. So no surprise that they created an article after the fact to make sony look bad. Typical Yahoo games.

11. Likes DarkNemesis likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    Amazon apparently has a system in place to give out replacement PS4 systems to customers affected by the BLOD. It's unclear whether or not they send you just a system, or the whole shebang. Apparently SONY is working with Amazon to take care of PS4 customers.

Ultimate Veteran
    My launch day ps4 from amazon is fine

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    This

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    same here!

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davin_g View Post
    Yahoo, search powered by Bing!!! Oh well.
    So much for the original giants.... Yahoo, AOL, Netscape, Napster, Myspace, etc...
    As will one day similar companies.

Superior Member

Oh I know its biased...we all know MS has controlling or significant investments in several online companies, gaming magazines, tv, and cable tv outlets. They have a huge influence in the media over here and they will certainly influence it. I just thought it was sad how poorly the article was written and yet you will have parents whose homepage is yahoo that will start up their pc and see this on the homepage and could be persuaded to get junior an inferior console because of the shallow reporting. We know a lot of casual gamers are about as informed as most of our voting public...and we saw the results of that over the past few years.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Amazon and many other retailers has received and sold stock of the PS4 since that Neogaf post and there's this post from a chat with another Amazon CS in that same thread that contradicts that first one.

Also whenever Amazon stops selling an item due to an defect or even just an small error with the listing it will have this on the page.

Last edited by Ryunosuke; 11-22-2013 at 13:26.
    PSN ID:Key2001 3DS FC:1521-2714-7908 Steam ID:jkey2001

19. Likes DarkNemesis, Lefein likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    Yup. One person claimed they ordered it on the 14nth which was impossible since the pre-orders were sold out back in August.

Thread Information