Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X

PSU's review of Knack - 6.0 out of 10

Hello friends! Here's my review of Knack, which means the PSU reviews team is just about through with all the major titles of the PS4 launch lineup! We're still reviewing Resogun, Assassin's Creed IV (from the UK), Super Motherload, and free-to-play titles like War Thunder and Warframe, so please be excited

Let me know what you think of Knack in this thread so I can join the conversation and discuss my points. Also ask any questions if you want! And please take the time to click and read the full review

Score: 6.0 out of 10

Intro:

Knack desperately wants to be like the Crash Bandicoots and Spyros of old, but it falls short in more than a few key areas. Controls and movement are solid (if a bit imprecise), and there's a good amount of aesthetic value in the game's colorful (if generic) cartoon style, but Knack overstays its welcome by placing undue focus on a laughably overwrought story, pointless characters, and combat that gets the energy of old-school platforming right but not the soul. The result offers decent co-op fun and a singleplayer journey with two extremes. At its peak, when platforming meets twitch combat, Knack is mildly enjoyable. But for every moment like this, there's another where you'll be backing out to the PS4 Dynamic Menu looking for something--anything--else to do on your new console.
    Conclusion:

Ultimately, Knack takes way too many missteps to be counted among the platforming legends it reveres. My feelings toward the characters its pointless story spends so much time on ranged from indifference to contempt, and every time I started to enjoy the gameplay, a frustrating fight or by-the-numbers level would highlight Knack's design flaws. Families and PS4 owners desperate for easy couch co-op might find enough cartoon charm to drop full price, but the best thing I can personally say about Knack is that it reminded me what I love about simple 3D platformers. One of these days, I'll set aside time to play a better one.
    More PS4 reviews:

Killzone: Shadow Fall - 7.5
    Contrast - 6.0
    Battlefield 4 - 9.0
    Call of Duty: Ghosts - 7.5
    Madden 25 - 7.5
    FIFA 14 - 9.0

2. Likes Lethal , Shockwave likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Knack got the same score as Contrast? I loved the art, music, and direction they took with Contrast. But I am having so much more fun with Knack. A solid 8 in my opinion. I will read your review in a few minutes.

4. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83, KyleOnTheRun likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I know people said they don't care for reviews but I thought it was pretty solid, Kyle. Good stuff. I had a feeling Knack would turn out to be an average platformer when reading OPM's preview a while ago.

It doesn't sound like the PS4 has its Resistance: Fall of Man launch title, one that's generally praised, but I imagine the large post-launch third party support will make up for that with some great experiences.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-21-2013 at 03:58.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    I know people said they don't care for reviews but I thought it was pretty solid, Kyle. Good stuff.
    Thanks man, much appreciated. I sure wish PS4 had a single Resistance-esque launch title. Right now, I'm having the most fun with Assassin's Creed and I'm excited to try Need for Speed.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'm so on the fence right now, but keep leaning both ways! I can't make a choice!

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Booo this man
    Knack is better than a 6
    Killzone is better than 7.5

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'm so on the fence right now, but keep leaning both ways! I can't make a choice!
    Don't take ANY review seriously.
    Buy it!
    I was on the fence too, because of all the bad to mediocre reviews, but I really like Knack.
    It's really fun to play and quite nice to look at. I could care less about the story. That's so far from the point of this game. Did anyone play Crash for it's story? $#@! no! It was fun to play, and Knack IS fun to play.
    I immediately started on hard mode and it's a blast. I love getting one shot'ed by a harmless looking bug. It's not perfect no, but it's no where near a bad experience.
    I think the majority of people reviewing Knack aren't normally drawn to these types of games. I think it's mostly to due people looking way to much into the story and being WAY to critical and expecting something different.
    It feels refreshing as hell to play a PS1 style beat 'em up platformer with current gen graphics.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I watched my friends kid play that game. I stand by with what I said before about it. Basically, it's a platformer without the platforming. If you take out the platforming in all platform games, it will be a crappy game. The difference between this and Crash Bandicoot is that Crash Bandicoot still had all the platforming elements, unlike Knack.

As for Contrast, I'd give that a 7.5/10 because I'm really enjoying that game. Basically with contrast it's straight to the point. I'd give it a solid 9 if it had many more puzzle elements.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 11-21-2013 at 14:06.

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Booo this man
    Knack is better than a 6
    Killzone is better than 7.5
    ^^quoted for truth^^

"... you'll be backing out to the PS4 Dynamic Menu looking for something--anything--else to do on your new console."
    What a bad conclusion

it's almost like the reviewer was looking for areas to be overly critical on.
    graphics/art cartoony too generic? I really thought in some areas it felt like what i imagined older NES and Genesis games would look like if made today and really if there is anything the game should be praised for it's the art style and clean bright colorful world.

controls imprecise? No, haven't had any control problems if anything it's been better than expected

Just a bad review. The game may fall short in some areas but not really where the reviewer mentions.
    Last edited by maltrophstitan; 11-21-2013 at 16:28.

12. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Quote Originally Posted by maltrophstitan View Post
    ^^quoted for truth^^

"... you'll be backing out to the PS4 Dynamic Menu looking for something--anything--else to do on your new console."
    What a bad conclusion

it's almost like the reviewer was looking for areas to be overly critical on.
    graphics/art cartoony too generic? I really thought in some areas it felt like what i imagined older NES and Genesis games would look like if made today and really if there is anything the game should be praised for it's the art style and clean bright colorful world.

controls imprecise? No, haven't had any control problems if anything it's been better than expected

Just a bad review. The game may fall short in some areas but not really where the reviewer mentions.
    As the reviewer, I couldn't disagree more. I wanted to like Knack and have something in the PS4 launch lineup refreshing and fun to play. Unfortunately, all Knack did was remind me what I love about classic 3D platformers by virtue of not having any of the elements that make them special.

I'm curious--you agree that the game falls short in some areas, but none of the areas I mention. What areas, then, fall short for you?

PSU Live Streamer
    I've been trying to get through Knack but man, I'm just not feelin this game. Chances are good I'll be trading it in soon, and unfinished. Think I'm on chapter 3-4 or something.....just feels like a chore to finish it to me. Think my days of child friendly platformers are past me.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

I also would give it a 6.0!

Solid review.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    It's ALL a matter of preference. Period.
    NO ONE can tell you that you will like or dis like any game.
    You have to play it yourself.
    This game HAS plenty of platforming, granted it's nothing ground breaking, but to say it's not
    there is ridiculous. This first 30 min of the game is nothing but platforming.
    Anyways, it's a great launch title that IS fun to play.
    Why on earth you would judge this game by it cartoony graphics, and bad story is beyond me.
    It's supposed to looks cartoony, and having an amazing story is not the point of this game.

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    It's ALL a matter of preference. Period.
    NO ONE can tell you that you will like or dis like any game.
    You have to play it yourself.
    This game HAS plenty of platforming, granted it's nothing ground breaking, but to say it's not
    there is ridiculous. This first 30 min of the game is nothing but platforming.
    Anyways, it's a great launch title that IS fun to play.
    Why on earth you would judge this game by it cartoony graphics, and bad story is beyond me.
    It's supposed to looks cartoony, and having an amazing story is not the point of this game.
    I actually enjoyed the cartoony visuals. That's a positive point in my review.

You're right that having an amazing story isn't normally a focus in games like this, but SCE Japan Studio spends so much time on cutscenes and padding the game out with story--it's clear they want it to matter, but it fails in just about every way.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the amount of platforming in the game, though. Thanks for your thoughts on the review!

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    Don't take ANY review seriously.
    Buy it!
    I was on the fence too, because of all the bad to mediocre reviews, but I really like Knack.
    It's really fun to play and quite nice to look at. I could care less about the story. That's so far from the point of this game. Did anyone play Crash for it's story? $#@! no! It was fun to play, and Knack IS fun to play.
    I immediately started on hard mode and it's a blast. I love getting one shot'ed by a harmless looking bug. It's not perfect no, but it's no where near a bad experience.
    I think the majority of people reviewing Knack aren't normally drawn to these types of games. I think it's mostly to due people looking way to much into the story and being WAY to critical and expecting something different.
    It feels refreshing as hell to play a PS1 style beat 'em up platformer with current gen graphics.
    If Knack recieved positive reviews, would you still say not to take reviews seriously?

Also, ignoring the story or forcing yourself to play on the hard difficulty is not something everyone should have to do when playing a game. At least Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank didn't have those flaws.

I would argue that no one is sure whether or not they'll like a game but it's smarter to read some reviews to get a general consensus instead of rushing out the door to pay 60 dollars for a game you may end up disliking.

PlayStation exclusives that get mixed or bad reviews, like Lair or Beyond: Two Souls, aren't going to be liked by everyone. I mean, being unique or retro is not enough to say something is legitimately good.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-22-2013 at 02:34.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    This game was designed around these 2 words,
    accessibility and family.
    Any 6 to 14yo is gonna love this game.
    It would have blown my mind when I was a kid.
    I really love this game, but that's me.
    Anyone that hates or dislikes it, isn't wrong I just think reviews should have different scores.
    I think a review should consist of 3 or more reviewers each with a different favorite game type.
    If you test something to see if it works, you don't run 1 test with 1 person, that would be considered ridiculous.
    You need more than one point of view and more than one perspective of what is considered a good game for it to be fair, IMO.
    It's always a matter of preference, perspective and opinion, and to only have one persons opinion if a game is good or not,
    when every gamer has a different view on what they consider is a good game doesn't make any sense to me.
    Anyways, just my opinion.

Ultimate Veteran
    You could have three or more different reviewers from one site, increasing their workload, or just one reviewer who is familiar with the genre.

I get that you like it though and that's fine, but when 33 out of 36 reviewers have given Knack mixed to bad reviews, it's hard to convince someone who hasn't played the game that it's good.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-22-2013 at 03:28.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Whatever.
    Knack is awesome!

22. Likes unicron7, HellsJester likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    thank god I dodged a bullet. To be fair, PS4 launch exclusives pales in comparison to Xbox One exclusives.
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Quote Originally Posted by funkybudda View Post
    thank god I dodged a bullet. To be fair, PS4 launch exclusives pales in comparison to Xbox One exclusives.
    I think PS4 edges out with a compelling exclusive FPS, but I'd be lying if I said Forza and Dead Rising don't have some of my attention.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    I think PS4 edges out with a compelling exclusive FPS, but I'd be lying if I said Forza and Dead Rising don't have some of my attention.
    They don't have any of my attention. Forza doesn't look much better than say GT6, and DR3 drops all the way down to 18 fps in areas (even though it's not a huge step up in graphics from past gen). And get this, it's only 720p. Whereas KZSF, a game that has the most insane detail I've ever seen (way more than Crysis 3 at max settings on PC) is at 1080p and never drops under 40 fps in multiplayer, and never under 30 in SP. Yeah no, I'm still getting a PS4, no doubt whatsoever.
    Last edited by KungMartin90; 11-22-2013 at 18:23.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    :delete:

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    They don't have any of my attention. Forza doesn't look much better than say GT6, and DR3 drops all the way down to 18 fps in areas (even though it's not a huge step up in graphics from past gen). And get this, it's only 720p. Whereas KZSF, a game that has the most insane detail I've ever seen (way more than Crysis 3 at max settings on PC) is at 1080p and never drops under 40 fps in multiplayer, and never under 30 in SP. Yeah no, I'm still getting a PS4, no doubt whatsoever.
    does any game in 1080P instantly makes it better? Does your body react differently to 1080P resolution? KZSF might be a great tech demo, but as a game, it's just meh.
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    I bought the game but only because I had a $20 off coupon for the title. I haven't played it much yet (all I am playing is AC4 at the moment), but my 4 year old son is loving it!

8 years and counting!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    my 4 year old son is loving it!
    Exactly!, the game was designed with kids in mind.
    I would have loved to have had Knack when I was 6,man that would have blown my mind.
    I bet your son wouldn't give it a 6 lol!

Thread Information