Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Stores... holding back console stock!

Ok, so I was with a friend today talking about the Xbox One, PS4, etc. I asked when they were getting more PS4's in and how many Xbox One's they have available for tomorrow.

He told me that they have a crate of PS4's and a crate of Xbox One's in the back. I asked why the PS4 systems weren't out on the shelves!!! He said they aren't allowed to sell them. There are 20 boxes per crate, three systems in each box. They are all being held for the "Years Event".. aka Black Friday! I asked him what kind of deal they will have.. "NONE"..

So they will have no more PS4 systems out for sale since it launched on the 15th; until Black Friday. Tomorrow they will have 7 Xbox One systems available, five of which were pre-ordered.

I called bs on it. He said, "Follow me". So we walked back to the storage section, and he showed them to me. I was floored.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    When is this "black Friday" then?
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Formally known as:

PSN ID
    AquaInferno
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    November 28 2013. That's ridiculous that they are pulling that supply demand gimmick. Assholes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Nov 29th. Day after Thanksgiving
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving Holiday - which in the US is the 4th Thursday of the month of November. And more importantly this year it's the EU PS4 launch day

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Nov 29th. Day after Fake Thanksgiving
    fixed*

well it's walmart

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving Holiday - which in the US is the 4th Thursday of the month of November. And more importantly this year it's the EU PS4 launch day
    Cheers everyone, is black Friday something they do every year then? What is it about?

Formally known as:

Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    That's messed up but not surprising coming from Wal-mart. I'll have to be sure to tell my sister about this. She called around everywhere to pick up one for her son and even waited in line but didn't make it before they sold out. I have a love/hate relationship with Black Friday. I love the great deals but hate how people forget to act human. This is bad on both counts because you'll have to put up with those people and it will still be the same price.

Cheers everyone, is black Friday something they do every year then? What is it about?

It's the day after Thanksgiving when most of the big stores will have pretty good sales. I picked up the entire Harry Potter Blu Ray collection last year for $24. It's also a day of chaos. YouTube black Friday to see the insanity.
    Last edited by ManaBurnX; 11-21-2013 at 15:04.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    Nov 29th. Day after Fake Thanksgiving

fixed*

well it's walmart
    LOL, At least I qualified it Many countries have a Thanksgiving.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    That's nuts! Wal-mart is such an evil $#@!ing company though, way worse than most other corporate giants...I refuse to go to their stores anymore...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    It stem's from a long history of the day after Thanksgiving in the US being a major shopping day for Xmas Holiday (Thanksgiving is a major holiday in the US) and so the stores books would go from being in the 'Red' from stock piling for the holidays to being in the 'Black' for the year (they became profitable.)

Eventually, it became a day of sales as well, to draw more customers into your stores. And even more recently (last couple of decades) they've had absurd prices on a few high end items (and usually only had a few of them in the stores for sale.) Leading to people lining up outside before hand to make the mad dash for the items.

Then moving to Midnight openings, and more recently opening Thursday night (last few years.)

It's a mad house event, and Wal Mart is the worst for it. I avoid Wal-Mart like a plague this day.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok, so I was with a friend today talking about the Xbox One, PS4, etc. I asked when they were getting more PS4's in and how many Xbox One's they have available for tomorrow.

He told me that they have a crate of PS4's and a crate of Xbox One's in the back. I asked why the PS4 systems weren't out on the shelves!!! He said they aren't allowed to sell them. There are 20 boxes per crate, three systems in each box. They are all being held for the "Years Event".. aka Black Friday! I asked him what kind of deal they will have.. "NONE"..

So they will have no more PS4 systems out for sale since it launched on the 15th; until Black Friday. Tomorrow they will have 7 Xbox One systems available, five of which were pre-ordered.

I called bs on it. He said, "Follow me". So we walked back to the storage section, and he showed them to me. I was floored.
    That's common. Holding high public draw inventory for Black Friday even if they aren't running a special on that inventory. They're not required to sell it to you. They can't by law refuse to sell it to you because you're black or white or a Pacific Islanders. But they can refuse to sell it to anyone, period, until they want to sell it. The only way to change that is voting with your wallet. Don't shop at Walmart. I've only seen wallet-voting work twice on Walmart. Once when they persisted in refusing to carry books, music and movies that didn't fit within the ostensible moral confines of midwestern American Christianity and conservative politics. They lost business and start carrying a much broader selection of media, though of course that better suited their revenue, anyway, since people obviously wanted to buy it form them. Then when they got caught almost chain-wide compelling employees to work off the clock, again they lost business, but they still didn't completely clean up that mess until the federal government starting nosing around.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    It stem's from a long history of the day after Thanksgiving in the US being a major shopping day for Xmas Holiday (Thanksgiving is a major holiday in the US) and so the stores books would go from being in the 'Red' from stock piling for the holidays to being in the 'Black' for the year (they became profitable.)

Eventually, it became a day of sales as well, to draw more customers into your stores. And even more recently (last couple of decades) they've had absurd prices on a few high end items (and usually on a few of them in the stores for sale.) Leading to people lining up outside before hand to make the mad dash for the items.

Then moving to Midnight openings, and more recently opening Thursday night (last few years.)

It's a mad house event, and Wal Mart is the worst for it. I avoid Wal-Mart like a plague this day.
    Thanks for that, been hearing about it but never really understood why it happened!

Formally known as:

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank

Eventually, it became a day of sales as well, to draw more customers into your stores. And even more recently (last couple of decades) they've had absurd prices on a few high end items (and usually on a few of them in the stores for sale.) Leading to people lining up outside before hand to make the mad dash for the items.

It's also a retail market myth and these days purely a marketing gimmick. Few profitable retail stores are not profitable until Black Friday and they never have been unprofitable until Black Friday unless there're just unprofitable stores and/or companies. The holiday shopping season is substantially important to American retail but it's the account of the whole season after returns and refunds around the first of the new year.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    It's also a retail market myth and these days purely a marketing gimmick. Few profitable retail stores are not profitable until Black Friday and they never have been unprofitable until Black Friday unless there're just unprofitable stores and/or companies. The holiday shopping season is substantially important to American retail but it's the account of the whole season after returns and refunds around the first of the new year.
    Actually, I said it "stem's from it." Say that it's the origin's, not that it's true today.

And I didn't say they were unprofitable, they were profitable. I stated they went into the 'Red' when stockpiling for the Holidays, this are two different things. You have to spend money to make money.

This is fact not fiction. That said, it's often incorrectly told because it's just easier to say that's when the go into the Black for the year than to explain it.

That said, today, retailers like Wal-mart would not be going into the 'Red' for Holiday Stockpiling. A lot of this has to do with more efficient shipping/warehousing so they don't stockpile everything for the whole holidays ahead of time like was the policy of the smaller stores of the past.

I stated where the term came from and what it's been morphed into. But the origin's wasn't a market myth.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Actually, I said it "stem's from it." Say that it's the origin's, not that it's true today.

And I didn't say they were unprofitable, they were profitable. I stated they went into the 'Red' when stockpiling for the Holidays, this are two different things. You have to spend money to make money.

This is fact not fiction. That said, it's often incorrectly told because it's just easier to say that's when the go into the Black for the year than to explain it.

That said, today, retailers like Wal-mart would not be going into the 'Red' for Holiday Stockpiling. A lot of this has to do with more efficient shipping/warehousing so they don't stockpile everything for the whole holidays ahead of time like was the policy of the smaller stores of the past.

I stated where the term came from and what it's been morphed into. But the origin's wasn't a market myth.
    My post wasn't a correction of your post, just a footnote. That is the origin. Although the origin is for the most part a myth. Even stockpiling inventory for the holidays most successful stores didn't go into the red buying in inventory. They were just less black in liquid assets. Inventory + cash, they stayed as much in the black as they ever were. Some used lines of credit to stock up but the inventory they bought with credit balanced out the debt. Maybe we can agree on apocryphal instead of outright myth in all circumstances.

PSN ID
    AquaInferno
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Nov 29th. Day after Thanksgiving
    I meant to say 29th wow... I did a week from today not a week from tomorrow. Doh!

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaInferno View Post
    November 28 2013. That's ridiculous that they are pulling that supply demand gimmick. Assholes.
    They aren't pulling a supply/demand anything. Doing so would mean by holding the console back they are increasing the value so they can turn around and sell it for more later....which isn't what they are doing.

They are simply in a holding pattern to ensure console roll outs during during special occasions. For all we know it could be a directive from Sony themselves, seeing as they are claiming to have console available during holiday times.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

19. Likes sanfordmay likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    They aren't pulling a supply/demand anything. Doing so would mean by holding the console back they are increasing the value so they can turn around and sell it for more later....which isn't what they are doing.

They are simply in a holding pattern to ensure console roll outs during during special occasions. For all we know it could be a directive from Sony themselves, seeing as they are claiming to have console available during holiday times.
    Supply/demand thing is $1 bottled water held back on a hurricane warning so they can sell it for $18 if the hurricane hits. Holding it and selling it for $1 after the hurricane hits, that's just readiness. The former is also gouging and illegal in most states, though selling a $400 game console for $600 due to artificial supply constraints wouldn't meet the legal standard for price gouging.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    My post wasn't a correction of your post, just a footnote. That is the origin. Although the origin is for the most part a myth. Even stockpiling inventory for the holidays most successful stores didn't go into the red buying in inventory. They were just less black in liquid assets. Inventory + cash, they stayed as much in the black as they ever were. Some used lines of credit to stock up but the inventory they bought with credit balanced out the debt. Maybe we can agree on apocryphal instead of outright myth in all circumstances.
    I think I see what you're getting at here. And the fact that you're talking overall financials (credit) going into the red, while this is referring to the fiscal year, going into the red and coming back into the black for the fiscal year. And they vast majority of retail stores used to go into the red for the fiscal year when stockpiling for the holidays.

Keep in mind that this term has been in use since the 1960's when the vast majority of stores were individually owned, and even the big chains like Sears Roebuck would stockpile and go into the red (fiscal year red - not overall credit red)

Veteran
    This subject line is way off topic. It is about Walmart practices, nothing to do specifically to either console. Did Walmart have PS4 pre-orders? Didn't hear anything about that. In any case, the PS4's they have are part of the second shipment. For the US, the next chance to grab a console without a preorder is when some hit the retail shelves. In Walmart's case, in past years, they have always had some crowd draw for Black Friday, like extremely cheap HDTV. You know that if they advertise PS4's and XBone's on the shelf for Black Friday, there are going to be huge crowds waiting for the doors to open. As much as Walmart acts horrified at their annual people herd stampedes, in the board room, they are gorging on the publicity and exposure. So what if a few people get trampled and there is a gunfight in the parking lot. That is 'Murica.

From the People of Walmart collection:
    Last edited by Bligmerk; 11-21-2013 at 16:39.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaInferno View Post

This is actually accurate, some retailers such as Walmart and Best Buy will start the doorbuster deals November 28th at 6:00PM.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    That's nuts! Wal-mart is such an evil $#@!ing company though, way worse than most other corporate giants...I refuse to go to their stores anymore...
    I used to work at walmart and yeah that is a evil company.. they force people to work overtime and not even pay them 90% of the time.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I rarely go to, Wal-Mart. The toilet paper there is a bit cheap though.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    I think I see what you're getting at here. And the fact that you're talking overall financials (credit) going into the red, while this is referring to the fiscal year, going into the red and coming back into the black for the fiscal year. And they vast majority of retail stores used to go into the red for the fiscal year when stockpiling for the holidays.

Keep in mind that this term has been in use since the 1960's when the vast majority of stores were individually owned, and even the big chains like Sears Roebuck would stockpile and go into the red (fiscal year red - not overall credit red)
    Yep. I'm talking balance sheet and you're talking fiscal year revenue versus expense and no doubt in the history of retail, stockpiling did cause some companies expenses to exceed revenue for the fiscal year until they sold that stockpiled inventory. Red and black are simple, memorable and common terms but probably misleading in this scenario because they refer to colors of ink in which credits and debits are recorded on balance sheets. I mean, way back when. Half the people on this forum are reading this and thinking, What's ink? You mean e-ink? Cause so far in what's available in commercial products, that's all black.

Thread Information