Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Gran Turismo 7 coming to PS4 as early as 2014, hints Kazunori Yamauchi

http://www.psu.com/a021744/Gran-Turi...unori-Yamauchi

Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi has revealed that the seventh installment in the racing simulator franchise could launch as early as 2014 on PlayStation 4.

Speaking to Top Gear at the Los Angeles Motor Show, the Polyphony Digital boss revealed that the studio doesn’t want to take too long developing GT7, and that this year’s entry is already pushing the PS3 hardware to its limits.

"We don't want to take too long on Gran Turismo 7," he said. "Best-case scenario? Next year. In GT6 we really had to tune the software 100 per cent to maximise the PS3's architecture, but of course the PS4's hardware is much better, so I think the overall quality of the game across the board will be boosted when you come to play it".

Yamauchi-san also had some positive words to says about GT’s leading rival, Forza.

“We always respect our competition,” he said. “The racing genre isn’t really that big in its entirety, so I’m glad that everyone works hard to boost the genre as a whole.”

GT6 is due out exclusively on PS3 in December. The series is known for its lengthy development cycles, with 2010’s GT5 being one of the worst offenders in the series, having taken around 4-5 years to make.
    2014 is looking like one hell of a year
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

2. Likes NeoTokyoOutlaw, Demi_God likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    seems like everything is coming together quite nicely. Makes me want to dance.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    First .. I'm excited to hear they are working on it; at least that's what I am assuming lol.

Other than that... I didn't like the way he said,
    "We don't want to take too long on Gran Turismo 7," he said. "Best-case scenario? Next year. In GT6 we really had to tune the software 100 per cent to maximise the PS3's architecture, but of course the PS4's hardware is much better, so I think the overall quality of the game across the board will be boosted when you come to play it".

It almost sounds like they aren't going to push boundaries on the hardware. I dunno, maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Great news, can't wait as I love the GT series, just hope it's not a let down!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    NeoTokyoOutlaw
    Their estimated release date seems more probable this time around (due to the hardware being easier to develop for), but I'm still cautiously optimistic. Gran Turismo 7 by this time next year? Yes, yes, yes. I'm tempted to keep my PS3 hooked up in order to play Gran Turismo 6.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    First .. I'm excited to hear they are working on it; at least that's what I am assuming lol.

It almost sounds like they aren't going to push boundaries on the hardware. I dunno, maybe I'm misunderstanding.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

What I got from that was because the PS3 software was so bad and the architecture of the PS3 was difficult. Those were reasons why GT took so long to make. It should have never been in development for as long as it was. The development of this next GT game should take a lot less time and also be improved much more compared to the previous GT game on the PS3.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Takes 'em an age between GT3/4/5. Now they're churning them out left, right and centre. I ain't complaining!

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    No way this is coming next year. This is Polyphony Digital we're talking about.

10. Likes KyleOnTheRun , John25 likes this post
    Tekken Elder
    Doubtful...with GT6 right around the corner it does not make much sense to release another that soon, even if they have the engine ready. Also Sony still has driveclub, a racing game even if it's not in the same ballpark as GT.
    The NID syndrome, LMAO indeed:
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    And for somebody (labwarrior) to say Uncharted 2 graphics are "just passable" or "hardly next gen " is beyond unbelievable. LMAO

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Early 2015 is my call.

But I'm fairly surprised (considering GT6 + the fact that PD likes to take their time). Who knows they may have been secretly working on this for a while, and/or GT5 (or 6) engine is easily translatable to nextgen? *shrug*

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    They should have released, Drive Club this year and Gran Turismo 7 next year. I'm sure that these guys will be able to pull it off since the PS4 is easier to develop compared to the PS3.

Veteran
    Yeah, this is a megaton. Not unexpected but kind of a slam for loyal GT6 fans that got it for the PS3 because they were expecting GT7 on PS4 would be 6 years.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    My thoughts exactly. 2014 is a pipe dream for FF XV, which has been in loose development for... five or six years? And this Polyphony.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    What I got from that was because the PS3 software was so bad and the architecture of the PS3 was difficult. Those were reasons why GT took so long to make. It should have never been in development for as long as it was. The development of this next GT game should take a lot less time and also be improved much more compared to the previous GT game on the PS3.
    That was my other thought.. it just didn't sit well lol. I would love for a release to be next year though. If so, it'll be holiday season most likely.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I thought the same thing. but isn't it true that the ps4 is a lot easier to develop for than the ps3?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    aka Gran Turismo 6.5XL

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    aka Gran Turismo 6.5XL
    Which wouldn't be such a bad thing if PS4 GT7 came out next year. PS4 GT7 just needs to be more: more polygons, more lighting effects, more particles, more physics, more cars, more race tracks. That is what the PS4 is going to provide: MORE. The studio is designing with models of cars with millions of polygons and every nut, bolt, suspension as a real car. They have to really optimize and reduce polygons for the game on a PS3. PS4 GT7 might not have cars with millions of polygons but they will have hundreds of thousands of polygons along with real time reflection and anisotropic specularity.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Goodness. Not more cars ffs.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    I think GT6 was released on the PS3 simply due to one thing - 15th anniversary. As someone mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if the assets for GT7 is actually within GT6 right now. While working on GT7 I'm sure the newer features were simply moved across to the older GT5 engine to spruce it up a bit more and then threw all the premium cars up to that point that they've sorted out. Seeing as I think that they were actually working on GT7 and not GT6 then this would explain the year gap between the two titles.

I'm still going to pick up GT6 though to tide me over till GT7 (like someone said it'll most likely be March 2015) but I won't feel ripped off at all, GT7 will essentially be GT6.5 however as you can see they've got an awful lot done and ready for next year.
    Goodness. Not more cars ffs.
    I want more cars! They should add the following:
    • Nissan GTR '06
    • Nissan GTR '06 A-Spec
    • Nissan GTR '06 B-Spec
    • Nissan GTR '06 C-Spec
    • Nissan GTR '07
    • Nissan GTR '07 A-Spec
    • Nissan GTR '07 B-Spec
    • Nissan GTR '07 C-Spec
    • Nissan GTR '08
    • Nissan GTR '08 A-Spec
    • Nissan GTR '08 B-Spec
    • Nissan GTR '08 C-Spec

22. Likes F34R likes this post
    Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I think GT6 was released on the PS3 simply due to one thing - 15th anniversary. As someone mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if the assets for GT7 is actually within GT6 right now. While working on GT7 I'm sure the newer features were simply moved across to the older GT5 engine to spruce it up a bit more and then threw all the premium cars up to that point that they've sorted out. Seeing as I think that they were actually working on GT7 and not GT6 then this would explain the year gap between the two titles.

This is what I was thinking...

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    I'm calling BS I can see Late 2015 early 2016 at the least. I mean at least give me 2 years to get bored with the old game(GT6 if it's even good though).

I don't ever want a game like GT becoming an annual title.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Won't be in 2014 but I am excited!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

PSN ID
    IshTing
    Also not expecting this till 2015.

Ultimate Veteran
    Sounds good and it sounds like they will use the same engine for the ps4

Extreme Poster

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    that quote is confusing but they don't mean that. though, it's not going to push the hardware. i do agree with varsh, they probably made GT7 first and GT6 is sort of like the port of it...using dumbed down assets.

but there has to be some sort of a limitation by doing this, it's sort of like making a cross-gen game. i would not expect GT7 to be much different than GT6 except maybe the online coding...but i'm not expecting it to evolve. it will likely just be a graphical update.

Thread Information