Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Anyone else think the DS4 triggers are still terrible for shooters?

The DS4 feels extremely comfortable and the joysticks are more precise, but the L2 & R2 triggers are still terrible for shooters in my opinion.

They feel exactly like the DS3 triggers, except they're concave. And why is that bad? Because they feel mushy instead of snappy, they take a while to press down, they take a while to come back up, and they're prone to sticking.

And why is this situation bad (for me at least)? Because many games don't allow the controls to be remapped. I was fine with the DS3, since all shooters were mapped to R1 & L1, but now it seems R2 & L2 will be the default.

Since a good deal of the games I'm interested in involve shooting of some sort, this is very disappointing to me, especially since Bungie and Guerrilla supposedly wanted to make sure the DS4 felt good for shooters.

Does anyone else feel this way?
    Last edited by Ixion; 11-22-2013 at 14:09.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I'm having no problem with them.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I don't know I haven't got the change to use one yet
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

4. Likes Malt likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I think they are much better than the DS3 triggers, the ones on the DS4 seem to have more resistance which I like and they feel a lot more solid!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

PSN ID
    renkilla
    I have no problems, and I like way better than the DS3. This is the first time I heard someone complain about the DS4, specially the triggers.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Nope, haven't found them to be mushy at all. I find them to be very snappy, very responsive. I can't take my finger off quick enough such that they are not pressed against my finger during the entire time they're being released until they hit the stop. So I'm not sure exactly how they could be snapper.

I find the resistance level to be just about perfect for my personal taste. They've got just a bit more resistance than they DS3's.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I think the worst part is how "sticky" they feel. I have three controllers and they all feel the same way. The triggers stick a little at the bottom.

And no, I haven't jacked off onto my controllers.....yet.

9. Likes XSpike likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Wash your hands after you $#@! will stop them being sticky.

11. Likes XSpike, Zswordsman, SuperSayian5Goku likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I think the worst part is how "sticky" they feel. I have three controllers and they all feel the same way. The triggers stick a little at the bottom.

And no, I haven't jacked off onto my controllers.....yet.
    I haven't found them sticky at all.

13. Likes Zswordsman likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Does your fingers lie comfortably on them like the Xbox controller ? or is it like the PS3 ?!

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Perhaps it's the environment I play in? I play games in my basement, which has more moisture in the air compared to the other levels of the house. We do use a dehumidifier though.

Could that cause the stickiness?

Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    Does your fingers lie comfortably on them like the Xbox controller ? or is it like the PS3 ?!
    The controller feels orgasmic when I'm just holding it, but the problem comes with pressing the triggers.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    When you hold the controller, your index fingers sit right in the space between the L1/2 & R1/2 buttons allowing you to easily pretty either one! The only complain I have on it is that the Share & Option buttons sit too flush to the controller.

Perhaps it's the environment I play in? I play games in my basement, which has more moisture in the air compared to the other levels of the house. We do use a dehumidifier though.

Could that cause the stickiness?

The controller feels orgasmic when I'm just holding it, but the problem comes with pressing the triggers.
    I was going to ask about humidity in your house, that is the only thing I can think of if you are having this problem with all three controllers. I have two controllers and neither one seems to have the sticky issue that you have...go to a retail store and see if the controller on the demo kiosk has the same issues as yours?
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 11-21-2013 at 16:02.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    go to a retail store and see if the controller on the demo kiosk has the same issues as yours?
    This is what I was thinking. There's a kiosk near my office it seems. I'll go try it out during lunch.

I remember not feeling negative about the triggers when I first started playing. It's only the last couple days where I've felt more negative about the triggers. The humidity could be the reason...

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    UPDATE:

OK, I went to a nearby GameStop during lunch that has a PS4 kiosk. I played around with the triggers and they definitely felt a lot better than mine do now. They felt smoother, faster, and didn't stick.

I guess the humidity in my basement is the issue. So I need to do two things:

1) Either jack up the dehumidifier to HIGH and have it run as much as possible (and hope that works), or move my PS4 upstairs.

2) Clean the buttons.

Will it be difficult to clean the buttons? Any idea what I should do?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    UPDATE:

OK, I went to a nearby GameStop during lunch that has a PS4 kiosk. I played around with the triggers and they definitely felt a lot better than mine do now. They felt smoother, faster, and didn't stick.

1) Either jack up the dehumidifier to HIGH and have it run as much as possible (and hope that works), or move my PS4 upstairs.

2) Clean the buttons.

Not sure how hard it would be to clean the triggers...I would suggest watching the video from the guy who painted his DS4 to see how to disassemble it...but since it is so new, and if it were me, I would just take them back and exchange them at the store!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Not sure how hard it would be to clean the triggers...I would suggest watching the video from the guy who painted his DS4 to see how to disassemble it...but since it is so new, and if it were me, I would just take them back and exchange them at the store!
    I already exchanged one of my DS4s since one of them came with a loose L1 button. They'll think I'm neurotic about controllers if I exchange them all back. lol

To add to the problem, we have our only 1080p TV in the basement, and it's a big 60-inch rear-projection TV. We also have surround sound down there. Playing on a different floor is tricky. Quite the predicament...

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I already exchanged one of my DS4s since one of them came with a loose L1 button. They'll think I'm neurotic about controllers if I exchange them all back. lol

To add to the problem, we have our only 1080p TV in the basement, and it's a big 60-inch rear-projection TV. We also have surround sound down there. Playing on a different floor is tricky. Quite the predicament...
    I would just kick up that dehumidifier and hope it helps! What kind of dehumidifier is it? I use to live on Long Island and I know around there it can get humid as $#@!, especially during the summer! Do you have central air conditioning at your house?
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 11-21-2013 at 18:11.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    It took some time getting used to in BF4, but I like them. It's definitely a step up from those awful triggers on the DS3.
    Last edited by PhillyPhreak; 11-21-2013 at 18:20.

"PS1994"- #4ThePlayers

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I would just kick up that dehumidifier and hope it helps! What kind of dehumidifier it is? I use to live on Long Island and I know around there it can get humid as $#@!, especially during the summer! Do you have central air conditioning at your house?
    We don't have central air. We just use window air conditioners around the house (except the basement). It's cold out these days though, so we don't use them anyway.

I guess this will be my plan of attack:

Plan A: Jack up the dehumidifier and clean the triggers.

If that doesn't work...

Plan B: Move the PS4 upstairs, buy a new 1080p TV, and clean the triggers again.

So I guess all I need are resources I can use for cleaning the triggers. Any videos or documents you guys can link me?

24. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Nope, your crazy.
    They feel like triggers IMO.
    When I pull them I get the feeling I always wanted.
    Sorry you dont like them, but you can't get them much more trigger like IMO.

Ultimate Veteran
    the DS4 is fine for shooters

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    @Ixion: I'd be worried about corrosion inside the console!

Random electronic:
    Last edited by K2D; 11-24-2013 at 17:45.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    I'd be worried about corrosion inside the console!

Random electronic:
    Who ever did that connector, that is a sorry ass soldering job!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    I'd be worried about corrosion inside the console!

Random electronic:
    I hope that's not supposed to be an example of corrosion. It's just a sorry ass soldering job as MonkeyClaw mentioned. Looks like they had way too high of temp, burnt up the flux (that's the yellow residue you're seeing), overheated the traces and PCB.

The reality is, PCBs and material used on them are not very prone to corrosion even in humid environments. The traces are protected by the PCB (inside not running on the surface except at contact points were solder is used and that's not prone to corrosion from humidity. Otherwise, we'd have extreme problems w/ the electronics in our cars in the humid area's like Houston which runs 90-99% Humidity during the summer (which is about 9 months out of the year here - 3 months of Fall/Spring and 2 days of winter.)

30. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Forum Sage
    The DS4 feels extremely comfortable and the joysticks are more precise, but the L2 & R2 triggers are still terrible for shooters in my opinion.

They feel exactly like the DS3 triggers, except they're concave. And why is that bad? Because they feel mushy instead of snappy, they take a while to press down, they take a while to come back up, and they're prone to sticking.

And why is this situation bad (for me at least)? Because many games don't allow the controls to be remapped. I was fine with the DS3, since all shooters were mapped to R1 & L1, but now it seems R2 & L2 will be the default.

Since a good deal of the games I'm interested in involve shooting of some sort, this is very disappointing to me, especially since Bungie and Guerrilla supposedly wanted to make sure the DS4 felt good for shooters.

Does anyone else feel this way?

UPDATE:

2) Clean the buttons.

Controller might need a bit of break in time/usage.

Thread Information