Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Guess this will now be known as the DDoD (Disc Drive of Death)?

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Hole Finder - Mind the Ga
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick

oops

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Iím sorry but having a background in QA engineering does not explain this situation, it is not evidence. It explains that you understand the process. Letís assume that you are right about the tweets and the videos. I havenít checked it properly but itís plausible that maybe people are using the same videos to describe their experience but we have no evidence. But that does not explain the people that are posting their reviews on Amazon.

Are you claiming that theyíre all trolls? Itís not about widespreadÖitís fair to assume that itís not widespread just like anything we stand for in the forums is not widespread but a drop in the ocean. The problem is that ďthisĒ did not happen on any previous consoles to ďthisĒ extent.
    QA engineering was the briefest thing I did. No, DOAs adjusted for number of launch consoles shipped did not happen to this extent last console generation. They happened more. Launch fail rates, if the current PS4 rate holds and the XOne rate is similar, were much, much higher last generation this generation.

What you're seeing is a statistical anomaly. It's a spike. It's all the initial hardware of a particular revision hitting all at once. That will cause failures to cluster right around the launch date. It makes failures very noticeable. Persistent issues that start early but take time to become widespread, like the Xbox 360 RROD failures, only acquire statistical significance under the standards of consumer electronics over a long period of sales and use.

By strict definition 1% is statistically significant. In the specific category of consumer electronics it is also significant but to the consumer it is tantamount to insignificant. Nobody is going to decline to buy something they want because 1 out of 100 might not work and have to be returned for exchange. Really if something is going to fail you want it to fail quickly while replacement allocations are still readily available, full warranty applies and the manufacturer is exceptionally concerned with their customer support image.

I understand that your memory of past console launches indicates otherwise but your memories are incorrect. Memory is tricky. Neuropsychiatrist Oliver Sacks wrote a memoir in which he described being in London during the Blitz at about age nine when a bomb fell in his neighborhood close to his house. His older brother usually reads his books before publication but didn't get to this one until after it went to press. He called Sacks up and told him that it was a reasonable description of the event save one thing. Sacks wasn't there. He'd already been sent to school in the country to get him out of the Blitz zone. He remembered what his family told him in such vivid detail he also remembered that he was there, but he wasn't there.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post

oops
    Okay, that's so going in me sig!
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    "Dude you need to listen closely! I actually know why this is happening! See what happened is very simple but people don't seem to know. The problem is, is that you're trying to put a disc in a VCR! LMAO!"
    One of the comments on one of the videos posted, I don't think it's a big problem and will be sorted by MS, but that comment was pretty funny

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    QA engineering was the briefest thing I did. No, DOAs adjusted for number of launch consoles shipped did not happen to this extent last console generation. They happened more. Launch fail rates, if the current PS4 rate holds and the XOne rate is similar, were much, much higher last generation this generation.

What you're seeing is a statistical anomaly. It's a spike. It's all the initial hardware of a particular revision hitting all at once. That will cause failures to cluster right around the launch date. It makes failures very noticeable. Persistent issues that start early but take time to become widespread, like the Xbox 360 RROD failures, only acquire statistical significance under the standards of consumer electronics over a long period of sales and use.

By strict definition 1% is statistically significant. In the specific category of consumer electronics it is also significant but to the consumer it is tantamount to insignificant. Nobody is going to decline to buy something they want because 1 out of 100 might not work and have to be returned for exchange. Really if something is going to fail you want it to fail quickly while replacement allocations are still readily available, full warranty applies and the manufacturer is exceptionally concerned with their customer support image.

I understand that your memory of past console launches indicates otherwise but your memories are incorrect. Memory is tricky. Neuropsychiatrist Oliver Sacks wrote a memoir in which he described being in London during the Blitz at about age nine when a bomb fell in his neighborhood close to his house. His older brother usually reads his books before publication but didn't get to this one until after it went to press. He called Sacks up and told him that it was a reasonable description of the event save one thing. Sacks wasn't there. He'd already been sent to school in the country to get him out of the Blitz zone. He remembered what his family told him in such vivid detail he also remembered that he was there, but he wasn't there.
    $#@!ing IE. lost my entire post. jist of it was that i agree with what you're saying and i never argued about that at all, i know this is not a persistent problem, i did indicate that it's an anomaly but chose different words to explain it.

but at this point, we do agree that this is something we should be cautious about. it's not about the overall statistics because trend is also important, imo more important. of course they will "stop" this trend because there shouldn't be a reason why they couldn't fix this problem but to get a better statistic would be to "assume" that this trend is persistent because only then you would understand how normal or abnormal this trend would be.

so we'd need a reading of how many of these were actually faulty and how many weren't.

amazon don't seem to care to wait to see those statistics because they are more worried about the trend. either they were told by Sony to stop selling the PS4 or they decided to stop themselves, whatever the case, it shows that the trend is more serious than we think. which would give reason that if the trend was to continue, you would likely see higher number than 1% because otherwise we'd see amazon stop selling other consoles at launch as well.

and we know that's not normal. if they were to stop selling consoles at launch like this in general, what would be the point in selling them to begin with? you know they get bad publicity for selling bad products too right? i don't see why else they would stop unless they saw this trend as a serious problem.

i agree with the memory part but there's more of a lack thereof rather than a distorted one here lol. my memory is very strong about the past

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Somebody is working overtime in this thread.

It is not that serious. Peter Moore said it the best, "you know, things break"

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome

oops
    You did it now!

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    No mention of any issues over on the main gaming sites, they were full of 'Are PS4'd breaking already?' articles last Friday.. On the Xbox forum there are people who's consoles are giving off smoke, the click of death, green screen, black screen, console hissing like a bottle of soda, broken Kinect, Joypad making weird noises, power supply issues, etc.. Some balance would be nice..

PSU Live Streamer

For those still not wanting to accept that the disk drive is in fact having issues for some people. Theres already been a compilation video released

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

11. Likes Peregrin8X likes this post
    PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    What makes it sad is there is barely a peep anywhere about any X1 issues. Pretty much every news outlet had a story on PS4 issues making you think they would all fail or something..

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    What makes it sad is there is barely a peep anywhere about any X1 issues. Pretty much every news outlet had a story on PS4 issues making you think they would all fail or something..
    was there news about the PS4 on day 1?

Hole Finder - Mind the Ga
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    well if you put it into context there were over 600 negative reviews on Amazon for the PS4, the vast majority of which came from verified purchasers. I don't think that's been the case for the One.

Anyway, who gives a flying crap as long as all our consoles kick ass.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    was there news about the PS4 on day 1?
    The following day. Which it has been out in other places for over 24 hours.

well if you put it into context there were over 600 negative reviews on Amazon for the PS4, the vast majority of which came from verified purchasers. I don't think that's been the case for the One.

Anyway, who gives a flying crap as long as all our consoles kick ass.
    Out of 300 reviews 102 are 1 star. Much of it looks like trolling. Not sure how to tell if purchase are verified or not. I found some that are verified but most look like trolling.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Conso...DateDescending
    Last edited by PS4freak; 11-22-2013 at 18:56.

Superior Member

IGN finally has something up about the Xbrick.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/...dware-problems
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

lol read that comment on youtube this morning. was well funny

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I don't wish ill on any gamer. Just keeping people informed of what is going on.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/x...rt/f/4269.aspx
    Damn.

That page is a bloodbath.

"Another failed launch? My XBOX ONE is a better paperweight than a gaming system"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post

For those still not wanting to accept that the disk drive is in fact having issues for some people. Theres already been a compilation video released
    Yeah, Youtube is starting to get flooded with the Disk Read Error defect. It makes a horrible grinding noise when the disk is inserted. There is an early report that the grinding goes away if the XBO is held upside down but no information if that fixes the Disk Read Error.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Dedicated Member
    Microsoft supplied disc drives so you could put physical media in, not sure they ever intended to let you PLAY physical media.
    Have you tried showing the Kinect the disc, maybe it will activate the digital copy of the game?

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    The folks with defective units are always the loudest. A few of us predicted that this would happen last week.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

22. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Microsoft supplied disc drives so you could put physical media in, not sure they ever intended to let you PLAY physical media.
    Have you tried showing the Kinect the disc, maybe it will activate the digital copy of the game?
    Lmao john.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    The folks with defective units are always the loudest. A few of us predicted that this would happen last week.
    Yep. I said it was going to happen with x1 when the PS4 review trolls come out. Now there are plenty of Xbox review trolls. Most of those Amazon reviews aren't verified. Some people.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Yep. I said it was going to happen with x1 when the PS4 review trolls come out. Now there are plenty of Xbox review trolls. Most of those Amazon reviews aren't verified. Some people.
    Yeah...there is a lot of tit-for-tat bull$#@! going on with the X1 reviews. Amazon reviews have become a haven for fanboy proclamations of doom. Which is why, like it said over and over last week, Amazon reviews should be ignored as they are NOT an indication that there is some mass "problem" with the consoles. It is just fanboy bull$#@!.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

26. Likes PhillyPhreak likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah...there is a lot of tit-for-tat bull$#@! going on with the X1 reviews. Amazon reviews have become a haven for fanboy proclamations of doom. Which is why, like it said over and over last week, Amazon reviews should be ignored as they are NOT an indication that there is some mass "problem" with the consoles. It is just fanboy bull$#@!.
    Yup. XBox Forums are the place to go, because you have people with Gamertags saying what's up.

Forum Overseer
    I have no doubt that both consoles have launch issues that are outside the ordinary.

this supposed trolling has no precedence. if this is entirely due to trolling then why is Amazon stopping their shipments? why aren't these trolls going after peripherals? why not the Wii U? PS3? 360?

Thread Information