Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83

AC:4 how do you play? - repost explained in more detail.

​I was wondering how you guys have been playing AC:4?
    Because I've been having a blast really taking my time and searching for everything.
    I'm playing without the HUD using the games mechanics to find everything without a map.
    This game is so beautiful with nothing on screen to distract you.
    It's amazing the second you turn the HUD off you immediately start paying attention and listening when you don't have a map to follow.
    It's definitely one of the ways Ubisoft intended you to play.

The viewpoints are the key to finding everything in an area without the aid of the mini map.

Once you enter a new location you just look up until you spot a huge hawk flying around a high point, and boom you've found a viewpoint!
    Climb that $#@! synchronize and instead of just leaping off right away, take a second, look around, and all of a sudden every icon for every item and point of interest will show up on screen. Now you know what direction to go in for each item, and when your close to one, you know because you can hear chimes twinkling in the vicinity of the item.
    And if you can't locate the one your after, or get turned around, just click the touchpad and look at the main map to see what direction you need to go.
    I see the main map as Kenway looking at his map, that he drew from everything he saw from the viewpoint, since the main map only opens up around the circumference of the viewpoint it makes sense. It all makes sense because Ubisoft put these mechanics in to be able to navigate without a HUD.
    IMO it's soooo much more fun than following a map marker. It really immerses you in the world by forcing you to pay attention, like really pay attention.
    You have to use you eyes and hears to find things.
    I do however turn SSI on which only shows a spot on screen when you place a custom map marker on the main map. So when you just want to get to your story quickly you can with only a dot on screen to show the way.
    The sea seems to be the time when I do use the SSI part of the HUD, when I need to get to the main mission in a reasonable amount of time.
    It can definitely be difficult finding a location on the other side of the sea without the use of some assistance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the use of a HUD in any way I'm just letting people know that it it a literal play style and not just customization.

Ubisoft has given the player tools to navigate without the need of a map, and the other hud items are unnecessary IMO.
    You know when you health is low from the screen turning red and glitching out, you know what weapon you have by looking whats in your hand, plus the weapon selection cross menu is still there when you press the d-pad, and as for the "puppeteer" or on screen controls, they are useless once you play the game for 10 minutes. So you really don't need any kind of HUD, and if you follow the simple steps to finding everything in an area, then you wont have a problem.

Step 1: When you first enter a new area, walk around and look up for a hawk.
    Step 2: Climb to the point where the hawk is flying around and synchronize, or how I see it, sketch out a map of what he see's (create the main map).
    Step 3: Look around and locate the icons you want first.
    Step 4: Go in the general direction of the icon, and once you feel like you've gone far enough, scout around the area and listen for the chiming sound.

Yes he is in a futuristic machine that travels to past memories, and if that were true he would almost 100% have some sort of onscreen HUD and mini map, so I get that argument.
    So it's just up to personal play style preference. It's all in how you look at the game and how you want to use the games mechanics.

That's why Ubisoft has given us the choice. I just have a feeling that not many people have tried this play style out, or even know it exists.
    I think most people think the option is only there to just give customization to the player, or to make it more "difficult" I wouldn't say it makes the game more difficult, it just makes the game last longer because you have to take your time and pay attention to your surroundings, instead of just following a map marker.

The one thing that bugs me in the game is that when you turn off the music your crew no longer sings sea shanties.
    I like having the music off because hearing that same battle music start every time a guard notices me really takes me out of the moment.
    I find it much more immersive without it.

So play as you want to and what makes sense to you. The HUD is a great tool and is the classic AC experience and makes sense with the story and the fact that your character is inside a machine living another persons memories, so having a HUD isn't much of a immersion breaker. Unless your like me, that doesn't even think about the fact that I'm in the animus, and just pretend that Im a pirate and put myself in his shoes as much as possible.
    Last edited by TEST SUBJECT 83; 11-28-2013 at 22:04. Reason: didn't give enough info last time

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I've only played w/ the HUD on. That said, often I seldom look at the HUD except when doing what I consider completionist activities (i.e. getting every Animus Frag, Shantie, Chest, ...) I'm a bit OCD in getting everythign everywhere in the game. I intend to have a map that only haves Yellow locations. To me, this is less about immersion and more about clean-up.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I've only played w/ the HUD on. That said, often I seldom look at the HUD except when doing what I consider completionist activities (i.e. getting every Animus Frag, Shantie, Chest, ...) I'm a bit OCD in getting everythign everywhere in the game. I intend to have a map that only haves Yellow locations. To me, this is less about immersion and more about clean-up.
    You often seldom look at the HUD? Dafuq?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    You often seldom look at the HUD? Dafuq?
    Poor grammar on my part That's what happens when I try to change up my wording during the middle of composing a sentence. What I intended was, that during most of my play, I seldom look at the HUD. There are points when I use my HUD a fair amount. Infiltration of heavily defended camps is an example. To see who's looking in my direction before I make moves that are intended to remain hidden.

5. Likes KungMartin90 likes this post
    Dedicated Member

I haven't tried it without the hud yet but the OP's post makes me want to try it! I'll check it out tonight.

Apprentice

I used to play Skyrim with no HUD, $#@! was unbelievable, amazing.

Dedicated Member

After trying the no hud thing last night I have to thank you Test Subject 83! I don't know why I never tried it before. Great improvement in the immersion factor.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    After trying the no hud thing last night I have to thank you Test Subject 83! I don't know why I never tried it before. Great improvement in the immersion factor.
    Your welcome!
    I want everyone to at least try it. It's so much more fun IMO!
    I love using the viewpoints as actual viewpoints, lol! Having everything's icon show up for you on the ground is really cool as well.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it without the HUD. At first I only did it to just take in the beauty of the game, but then realized how I had to pay attention a lot more and was all of a sudden having a lot more fun.

It's just to bad that there isn't a co-op for this game!
    It would be amazing if Ubisoft could incorporate some sort of Watch Dogs type MP where instead of invading someone's memory and trying to kill the person in it, you could join them in co-op play and then they will have a new crew member, you. Maybe there could be a max of 2 "real" crew members for a total of 3 playing co-op, with the chance of running into a ship with 3 other "real" crew members on it.
    Kind of like the Division is going to do but with pirates. $#@!, or even just a online mode where it's just ship battles with 5 on 5 or
    5 on 5 on 5 on as many as possible. MP ship battles would be so sick IMO.

Anyways, no hud is awesome, I feel like thats the way Ubisoft intended the game to be played.
    I just really dislike mini maps period. But most game kinda force you to use it or else you cant find your way. I love how AC:4 caters to it.
    They give you the tools to find your way around the world without a map. The scope on the ship allows you to see what is what, and the view points show you where everything is once you synchronize. Most games don't give you the necessary tools to navigate without the use of a map.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    I like the hud. Since I am playing a man using a computer to relive history it furs with the immersion

tapatalk post

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    I like the hud. Since I am playing a man using a computer to relive history it furs with the immersion

tapatalk post
    That's why options are awesome!
    It doesn't matter the story I can get totally immersed in almost any game.

Considering how hyped I was for AC3 and how absolutely disappointing it was, I thought I was done with AC forever. Except that I've been playing my roomates AC4 on her PS4 and it is AMAZING! I'm enjoying hunting for all the trophies (especially since on ps4 you can see how rare they are!). A good site is AC4 PS4 Guides if you need somewhere to use check out the easiest ways to unlock trophies or other things : )
    Last edited by prettypeach; 12-03-2013 at 06:40.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post

tapatalk post
    i also like the hud.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's currently not being played cause the PS4 isn't out here yet.. but I got the game a week ago

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Does this game play like the older Ac games where u go back in time or is it an action game like uncharted

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Does this game play like the older Ac games where u go back in time or is it an action game like uncharted
    Why would they change? The whole world revolves around the animus

tapatalk post

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by prettypeach View Post
    Considering how hyped I was for AC3 and how absolutely disappointing it was, I thought I was done with AC forever. Except that I've been playing my roomates AC4 on her PS4 and it is AMAZING! I'm enjoying hunting for all the trophies (especially since on ps4 you can see how rare they are!). A good site is ps4cheats.com if you need somewhere to use check out the easiest ways to unlock trophies or other things : )
    I found ac3 to be phenomenal

tapatalk post

18. Likes Malt likes this post
    Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    or even just a online mode where it's just ship battles with 5 on 5 or
    5 on 5 on 5 on as many as possible. MP ship battles would be so sick IMO.
    I like your co-op idea a lot, but multiplayer naval battles would give me the nerdgasm of the year. I REALLY REALLY hope they implement it in an update.

20. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    I like your co-op idea a lot, but multiplayer naval battles would give me the nerdgasm of the year. I REALLY REALLY hope they implement it in an update.
    During the Comic Con AC4 panel, one of the crowd asked Ashraf if there was anything he had to pull from the game that he wish he could have kept.

The answer was Navel multiplayer.

Fingers crossed it gets added...

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Apprentice

your use of the word nerdgasm just gave me a wordgasm. :-OOOOO

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    AC:4 how do you play? - repost explained in more detail.

​I was wondering how you guys have been playing AC:4?
    Because I've been having a blast really taking my time and searching for everything.
    I'm playing without the HUD using the games mechanics to find everything without a map.
    This game is so beautiful with nothing on screen to distract you.
    It's amazing the second you turn the HUD off you immediately start paying attention and listening when you don't have a map to follow.
    It's definitely one of the ways Ubisoft intended you to play.

The viewpoints are the key to finding everything in an area without the aid of the mini map.

Once you enter a new location you just look up until you spot a huge hawk flying around a high point, and boom you've found a viewpoint!
    Climb that $#@! synchronize and instead of just leaping off right away, take a second, look around, and all of a sudden every icon for every item and point of interest will show up on screen. Now you know what direction to go in for each item, and when your close to one, you know because you can hear chimes twinkling in the vicinity of the item.
    And if you can't locate the one your after, or get turned around, just click the touchpad and look at the main map to see what direction you need to go.
    I see the main map as Kenway looking at his map, that he drew from everything he saw from the viewpoint, since the main map only opens up around the circumference of the viewpoint it makes sense. It all makes sense because Ubisoft put these mechanics in to be able to navigate without a HUD.
    IMO it's soooo much more fun than following a map marker. It really immerses you in the world by forcing you to pay attention, like really pay attention.
    You have to use you eyes and hears to find things.
    I do however turn SSI on which only shows a spot on screen when you place a custom map marker on the main map. So when you just want to get to your story quickly you can with only a dot on screen to show the way.
    The sea seems to be the time when I do use the SSI part of the HUD, when I need to get to the main mission in a reasonable amount of time.
    It can definitely be difficult finding a location on the other side of the sea without the use of some assistance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the use of a HUD in any way I'm just letting people know that it it a literal play style and not just customization.

Ubisoft has given the player tools to navigate without the need of a map, and the other hud items are unnecessary IMO.
    You know when you health is low from the screen turning red and glitching out, you know what weapon you have by looking whats in your hand, plus the weapon selection cross menu is still there when you press the d-pad, and as for the "puppeteer" or on screen controls, they are useless once you play the game for 10 minutes. So you really don't need any kind of HUD, and if you follow the simple steps to finding everything in an area, then you wont have a problem.

Step 1: When you first enter a new area, walk around and look up for a hawk.
    Step 2: Climb to the point where the hawk is flying around and synchronize, or how I see it, sketch out a map of what he see's (create the main map).
    Step 3: Look around and locate the icons you want first.
    Step 4: Go in the general direction of the icon, and once you feel like you've gone far enough, scout around the area and listen for the chiming sound.

Yes he is in a futuristic machine that travels to past memories, and if that were true he would almost 100% have some sort of onscreen HUD and mini map, so I get that argument.
    So it's just up to personal play style preference. It's all in how you look at the game and how you want to use the games mechanics.

That's why Ubisoft has given us the choice. I just have a feeling that not many people have tried this play style out, or even know it exists.
    I think most people think the option is only there to just give customization to the player, or to make it more "difficult" I wouldn't say it makes the game more difficult, it just makes the game last longer because you have to take your time and pay attention to your surroundings, instead of just following a map marker.

The one thing that bugs me in the game is that when you turn off the music your crew no longer sings sea shanties.
    I like having the music off because hearing that same battle music start every time a guard notices me really takes me out of the moment.
    I find it much more immersive without it.

So play as you want to and what makes sense to you. The HUD is a great tool and is the classic AC experience and makes sense with the story and the fact that your character is inside a machine living another persons memories, so having a HUD isn't much of a immersion breaker. Unless your like me, that doesn't even think about the fact that I'm in the animus, and just pretend that Im a pirate and put myself in his shoes as much as possible.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Why are you playing without a hud ?!

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    Why are you playing without a hud ?!
    C'mon, did you even read the post? It answers your question multiple times.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    C'mon, did you even read the post? It answers your question multiple times.
    Lol, i get that you want to use the game's mechanics to find stuff, but why make it harder for yourself that's what i was asking, Anyway i hope you enjoy the game however you like

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    Lol, i get that you want to use the game's mechanics to find stuff, but why make it harder for yourself that's what i was asking, Anyway i hope you enjoy the game however you like
    Wow! again, all answered in the post. lol!
    I don't find it more difficult, I find it more realistic and the only way it effects the game is by making it take longer to get through the game, which IMO is a really good thing.
    It's not that I want ti use the games mechanics to to find stuff. It's that Ubisoft put mechanics in the game to allow you top play the game without a hud. That's why you have the option to remove it. Or else they would have left out showing you everythings icon when you sync your map from a viewpoint.
    I do enjoy the game like this, like I said in the post.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    During the Comic Con AC4 panel, one of the crowd asked Ashraf if there was anything he had to pull from the game that he wish he could have kept.

The answer was Navel multiplayer.

Fingers crossed it gets added...
    That's somewhat good news! At least it's on his mind, there is hope for the future! Slim hope maybe but I'm glad to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by bru_sek View Post
    your use of the word nerdgasm just gave me a wordgasm. :-OOOOO
    Oh my!

Thread Information