Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Huge loss for MS. She was 343 lead programer. Now she will be part of ND ICE team. I'm sure she will be coding for the next Uncharted.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    One of the most talented people from MSes newly formed 343i studio has this to say on Twitter

She's one of the reasons Halo 4 looked so good, in case you're still in 'Wat?' mode. She even worked for NASA at one time.
    She was great for Halo 4, i'm sure she will be great for ND. It's not like this stuff doesn't happen all the time in the industry. Uncharted's lead designer left ND last year and 343's lead designer left for EA a few months ago.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    can't wait to see what will come out this

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    She was great for Halo 4, i'm sure she will be great for ND. It's not like this stuff doesn't happen all the time in the industry. Uncharted's lead designer left ND last year and 343's lead designer left for EA a few months ago.
    can always count on you to downplay anything that's consider good news for the playstation brand.

5. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I think you're a little slow on this one mate. xD

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...or-Naughty-Dog
    My bad, no I didn't see that. I figured since she took pot-shots at the underlying XBone OS and its graphics coding system, it would belong here anyhoo LOL

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Idk I get worried about people that come from ms. They seem like corporate moles. Elop goes to Nokia from ms and their stock plummets and ms buys them a mere 3 yrs later. Peter Moore goes to EA and ms gets all these sweet deals from ea. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    Idk I get worried about people that come from ms. They seem like corporate moles. Elop goes to Nokia from ms and their stock plummets and ms buys them a mere 3 yrs later. Peter Moore goes to EA and ms gets all these sweet deals from ea. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid
    Youre being paranoid. lol

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    A case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    You are talking about suits and suit carousel, totally different. This woman isn't supposed to even exist, an impossible fantasy, a beautiful talented ace programmer that loves games. She is a dev, not a suit.

MS specializes in suit carousel, in fact there is a passion for it there. Suit carousel isn't specific to MS, it is all over and especially in the government, same results. Things get all $#@!ed up. Suits don't know how to do anything but be a suit. A dev like her will kick your ass.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    can always count on you to downplay anything that's consider good news for the playstation brand.
    No, he's putting it in perspective. This happens all the time. I could argue this is being over-hyped. It can be played both ways.

If she's happier on PS4 then so be it. I don't want an unhappy coder programming on my console of choice. Don't need that bad energy in the ecosystem.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Youre being paranoid. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    You are talking about suits and suit carousel, totally different. This woman isn't supposed to even exist, an impossible fantasy, a beautiful talented ace programmer that loves games. She is a dev, not a suit.

MS specializes in suit carousel, in fact there is a passion for it there. Suit carousel isn't specific to MS, it is all over and especially in the government, same results. Things get all $#@!ed up. Suits don't know how to do anything but be a suit. A dev like her will kick your ass.
    Good. Hope you guys are right

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    Downplaying what?
    i'm sure she will be great for ND.
    Talented programmers move around the industry more often than what is reported.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    No, he's putting it in perspective. This happens all the time. I could argue this is being over-hyped. It can be played both ways.

If she's happier on PS4 then so be it. I don't want an unhappy coder programming on my console of choice. Don't need that bad energy in the ecosystem.
    I know. Games studios are filled with talent. Some more than others.

Banned

ND can have her.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    ND can have her.
    lol

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    ND can have her.
    Ey man, ain't it time to get out of the closet yet?

PSN ID
    IshTing
    ND can have her.
    I have a vision of you working for MS, giving programmers away like Oprah. "You get a programmer, and you get a programmer, everybody gets a programmer!"

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    So much for Sony devs don't work on two games at a time. I'm pretty sure ND is working on Uncharted and a space game.

Can't wait to see what they have cooking up

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by IshTing View Post
    I have a vision of you working for MS, giving programmers away like Oprah. "You get a programmer, and you get a programmer, everybody gets a programmer!"

Oh yeah, ND will have her alright, and she will love it! #NDspacegame

20. Likes IshTing likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    ND can have her.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    She is a Principal Engine Architect and MS patented the new lighting method she developed. She is a major engine coder plus having exceptional lighting engine expertise. Large projects are always structured as pyramids. There are a few at the top that send directions to the ones below. In games, its the hundreds of texture artists and 3D modelers and animators that are below. The engine designer and creative director are sitting at the top. Remember, this is basically a new section of ND, Cory Barlog coming back as creative director. This new IP will be a PS4 exclusive -- duhhhhhh.
    that's true, though a somewhat old model.

Newer more modern forms of management involve a more ground up approach. I think this is why ND was considered attractive to her.
    Whereas MS might use the model you've explained, this put pressure on that one person, and one person alone. Ideas, direction, everything comes out of that persons head.

You've seen it time and time again in ND dev blogs etc. how they promote open and free discussion amongst their staff. This creates much better work culture etc. etc. Google is always referenced as the best case study of this method.

The publisher WILL be structured as you've described, top down. the development studio's don't need that level of authority as they're primarily focused on creativity. creativity demands a degree of perspective and openness. So the top down management method wont work

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    lol at the "no more Windows 8 programming". Sounds like she was all for burning that bridge.
    That's what went through my head too. Someone of her calibur instantly burned Win8 after no longer being a part of it?....Consumers dislike it, and apparently some of the senior staff do too (i can't imagine she's the only one) Win8 is a disaster

Maybe the suits will no longer be part of Win9 development?
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 11-23-2013 at 20:41.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    that's true, though a somewhat old model.
    Well, of course it is old, it is how most corporations of the 20th century operate, as far as the suits model, especially MS clinging to that environment.

As far as System Level Designers, no, it is a pyramid and will always be a pyramid. That is why Cerny is Systems Architect. Same with Boeing, there is a top level, usually PHd in multiple disciplines, that is the System Designer for the whole plane. He doesn't design every hinge, bolt, rivet and cable harness but you can bet, years before the production of the plane starts, he will have a model of it on his desk, because he designed it. He will often have most of the mechanical and electrical design done years before it goes into production.

That is not to say it doesn't take a vast amount of teamwork on the huge projects that go on, besides video game development. You only have to watch the credits of a video game to see top billing goes to the stars, and if you sort as the credits are rolling, you will see the pyramid structure.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Well, of course it is old, it is how most corporations of the 20th century operate, as far as the suits model, especially MS clinging to that environment.

As far as System Level Designers, no, it is a pyramid and will always be a pyramid. That is why Cerny is Systems Architect. Same with Boeing, there is a top level, usually PHd in multiple disciplines, that is the System Designer for the whole plane. He doesn't design every hinge, bolt, rivet and cable harness but you can bet, years before the production of the plane starts, he will have a model of it on his desk, because he designed it. He will often have most of the mechanical and electrical design done years before it goes into production.

That is not to say it doesn't take a vast amount of teamwork on the huge projects that go on, besides video game development. You only have to watch the credits of a video game to see top billing goes to the stars, and if you sort as the credits are rolling, you will see the pyramid structure.
    Cerny is a poor example as he is a prime example of the modern method in practise. Ken was exactly the opposite. Ken is an example of top down management.

Cerny involved his peers as much as possible, and in a number of interviews has expressed how this lead to a much better system. Naturally, he's the guy who guides the horse (so to speak) but its a far cry from him deciding which parts will go in by virtue of his position.

And yes, boeing would operate to a more top down method as they aren't the same type of company. there are no safety boards, ethics committee's etc in game development. Boeing spends billions in R&D and self funds, absolute control of the company is paramount.

As i said, a publisher needs control. devs, not so much (strictly keeping it within the industry). In a development environment you want to keep ideas flowing. As i say, Google is often cited as the best case study of this method. Many of their products have come from allowing their staff freedom to work on their own projects (i think it was an entire Wednesday i can't remember).

If i recall, Uncharted was similarly born from ND's rendition of this control structure.

The top down method is old and archaic. And likewise, the only businesses that implement them are likewise, old, big, and archaic. That's not to say that its not effective. on the contrary, as you pointed out, boeing wont use the bottom up method as it could cripple them. you don't want a guy working on bolts in meetings with the aero department.

In game development, whats wrong with having an animator in with the programmer? will the engine break? no. in fact, that animator might serve to better understand the limitations of the engine better, and subsequently design within it to a greater degree.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    lol at the "no more Windows 8 programming". Sounds like she was all for burning that bridge.
    When your OS causes wide spread consumer discontent, causes high profile programmers to jump ship/dis it and leads to the creation of a Linux based steam OS, you know you made a boo boo somewhere along the way. Many are burning bridges, it's called quarantine.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Sony are onto a winner. That's what happens when you ask the industry how they'd like your next gen console to be.

Veteran
    At the very least, this news gives a lot of proof to the rumor there is now another project team within ND. There are plenty of people to work on PS4 Uncharted. They aren't hiding the sightseeing/exploration of commercial space launch systems and sites. PS4 Uncharted is probably well on its way to alpha, there is a new IP coming from ND. Seems like lots of directional HUD pointing to a Space Epic IP.

Thread Information