Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Elder

Amazon germany and ebay crack down on scalpers

PS4NEWS

In the months following a new console generation, scalpers who buy up multiple systems and then resell jack up the price tend to run rampant. This time around, both Amazon Germany and eBay have implemented systems to try and combat the moneymaking scheme.

Anyone who ordered more than 2 PlayStation 4s from Amazon Germany will find their extra orders have been cancelled, presumably to combat the initial supply of scalpers.

Meanwhile, eBay has implemented a limiting system on console sales. An account may only sell one console per week. While this won’t entirely stop scalpers, it will certainly slow them down, and likely put a dent in their margins as retail stocks begin

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisw26308; 11-25-2013 at 14:43.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Likes unicron7 likes this post
    Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    $#@! yeah. Good for them. Scalpers make it harder for legit gamers to get their hands on a console.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Meh.. dang. I ain't gonna make no money this time.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Scalpers suck

tapatalk post

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I don't mind getting called names. Especially when I'm making bank.

Honestly though.. I wouldn't consider someone like me as a "scalper". If I am able to get a few consoles and sell them, and make a profit out of it.. I'm good with it. I didn't this go 'round, so far.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I'm not being funny but if anyone in the world could make money on something, we would all do it, and those who say they wouldn't are lying!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I don't mind getting called names. Especially when I'm making bank.

Honestly though.. I wouldn't consider someone like me as a "scalper". If I am able to get a few consoles and sell them, and make a profit out of it.. I'm good with it. I didn't this go 'round, so far.
    Nothing against you personally, I just find it morally wrong to do such a thing. Probably why I would never make a very good business man here in the U.S. Morality and good business do not go hand in hands from what I have seen. Why did I get a bachelors in business? The things I do. Sheesh. lol

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

9. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    Nothing against you personally, I just find it morally wrong to do such a thing. Probably why I would never make a very good business man here in the U.S. Morality and good business do not go hand in hands from what I have seen. Why did I get a bachelors in business? The things I do. Sheesh. lol
    I agree with you in respect to scalpers. Those are people that buy a bunch of things and sells them at a much higher price. Me, I bought three PS3's, a four Wii's, and they all sold on ebay starting at a .01 bid. I could have lost money on each system.. scalpers, don't normally.

Apprentice

eBay US has it limited to one Console a month. Market determines price.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Intentionally buying a lot of extra consoles with the purpose of making extra money is a $#@! move, glad they are at least slowing them down.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    It is those stupid enough to buy something at a exorbitant price that is at fault

tapatalk post

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I would have prefered it if Amazon concentrated more on doing something about reviews on products that those accounts haven't even purchased.

15. Likes NeoTokyoOutlaw likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    very cool.ebay american should do this also

Apprentice

I don't like scalpers either, but I guess what im confused about is that some of you guys seem to imply you have a problem with someone buying a bunch of something and trying to sell it for profit. I think that's the whole point of trying to sell something. I mean, I Don't think f3ar got extra consoles just for the fun of it. People always try to make money when they sell things, unless they price it just to get rid of it. And how exactly are scalpers keeping consoles out of gamers hands? They had the money for it and charged what they think they can get. If they can't they will bring the price down, because eventually if you have a product just sitting you will lose money. And to some people breaking even is better than losing money. Now don't get me wrong, if you get a ps4 and want to charge like 1000 for it then I say good luck because Im not buying it for that price. So how exactly are scalpers the problem? I think frauds are the problem. People that word their item descriptions funny so when they send you the item you pay for you get something else and then they say read the item description more carefully. I think I read a few times when the ps3 came out there were some people that thought they were bidding on the ps3 only to be told the seller was only selling the box, and the console was not included, because the item description was worded funny. That, and bootleggers. Can't stand bootleggers.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    MoneyM07
    The people buying it are idiots. Plain and simple. If someone were to set their price at $1000 then I'd call them a scalper. But as someone said above, placing the bid at 0.01 wouldn't make you a scalper. $#@!, remembering how the ps3 was, I was going to buy a ps4 and sell it to make more money. Nothing wrong with that

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    I'm not being funny but if anyone in the world could make money on something, we would all do it, and those who say they wouldn't are lying!
    yeah man, i tried selling my body once....and lets just say i could make a movie out of the adventure

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Good move scalpers are pieces of $#@! enough said.

They aren't good for legitimate businesses and they aren't good for customers period.

It would be like buying a couple of mcdonalds burgers at 77 cents and trying to resell them for $4 each, sony supplied the product another company buys the product and sells it to a customer end of sale... By reselling it trying to make a profit of a product you bought for a retail price you're an idiot. Most people will not pay above RRP.. Some will...these people will more than likely be importing the product because it's unavailable in their country.

Some people are idiots and will pay anything for something.. But why encourage them ?

Make legitimate money with dignity... Don't be a snake oil salesman!
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I remember selling on of the Wii's for $675... it went from $100 to that price in the last 30 seconds lol, yet, I forgot to remove something from the item page.. it was Christmas Eve and it said "will be delivered before Xmas!! GUARANTEED!!"

Well, I emailed the buyer and explained that it was an error. They asked if they could call. I gave them my number. She was a very understanding lady and I told her I would refund all the shipping costs. She was explaining that she was thankful for the price reduction, but this was the only thing she and her husband were getting the kids for Christmas. She was in tears. I was heartbroken. I asked her where she lived, and confirmed it with the paypal shipping info. It was around 8 pm, Dec. 24th. I told her I would make it right and don't worry about a thing.

I got the Wii out of the closet and drove my ass to Atlanta and dropped it off to her family just a few mins before midnight. Waited for her husband to get home, he had been out shopping for two days trying to find a Wii. He was going to just go ahead and pay me cash instead of going through ebay/paypal. So, they wrapped it up, and I stayed for about another hour. Their kids heard the talking and what not, and thought they knew Santa was there and tried to sneak in and see "me" lol.

So they got to open the Wii and were the happiest freakin' kids I'd ever met!! I accepted only $250.

22. Likes victorijapoosp , Shingo likes this post
    Veteran
    Honestly I don't see what the fuss is about. Don't want to pay the outlandish up charge? Wait and learn to actually preorder next time. Got money to burn and don't care? Pay.

I sold my 2nd PS4 to a buddy for an additional $100 I'm an idiot fee. Kept telling him to preorder. He kept telling me no, it'll be fine. Hell just walk in and get one "no problem".
    Last edited by faaeng; 11-26-2013 at 00:16.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

24. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Imagine you didn't know the PS4 was coming out and they are all sold out. And one wishes to purchase it. It's their choice to buy at a higher price.

High demand = High Prices. Human nature and scarcity dictates market prices.

Amazon and Game etc have scalped us by witholding huge PS4 stockpiles till the last week before sale to force bundles on desperate people who are panic buying because of the retailer co-ordinated "shortage".

Though I don't condone scalping or panic buying. I wouldn't begrudge someone who bought a PS4, and then got made a ridiculous offer and took it. my PS4 bundle is £439 from Asda for the "gamer pack" ie 2 DS4, KZsf and camera bundle. Now the retail price is £429, but they know because it was 1 week before release and they were guaranteeing day 1 delivery - people like myself would jump on the chance.

If a rich casual, did not preorder, wants one for his son on Christmas and offers me £600 - £800? He can have it, I'll bloody deliver it personally. And bide my time till infamous.

I'll even dress up as a sexy santa
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

26. Likes F34R likes this post
    Veteran
    Lets see your Sexy Santa. You may find yourself a buyer. Plus now I wanna see
    J/King

No, now I'm curious..
    Last edited by faaeng; 11-26-2013 at 07:30.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Lets see your Sexy Santa. You may find yourself a buyer. Plus now I wanna see
    J/King

No, now I'm curious..

You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    It would be like buying a couple of mcdonalds burgers at 77 cents and trying to resell them for $4 each,
    That's how trading works. If you buy a gallon of milk from a farm it will cost you a whole lot less than it would if you bought it from a grocery store. If I could sell McDonalds burgers at 419% profit I definitely would. Unfortunately there's no market for them. There is a market for PS4s however.

sony supplied the product another company buys the product and sells it to a customer end of sale...
    Toyota supplied my dealership with a car, then I bought it. By that logic, if I sell it on Craigslist I'm a bad person!? This argument is ridiculous.

By reselling it trying to make a profit of a product you bought for a retail price you're an idiot. Most people will not pay above RRP.. Some will...these people will more than likely be importing the product because it's unavailable in their country.
    I'm an idiot who is $2k richer for basically what amounted to a day's work. Most people will not pay above MSRP. I don't care about those people, I care about those who will. That's where I made my money and I didn't even have to leave my city, let alone my country.

Make legitimate money with dignity... Don't be a snake oil salesman!
    How is this "illegitimate" money? I provided a service, and people who paid for it did so willingly and knowing what the retail price was. You're hilarious.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I just whish people wouldn't be so desperate and sometimes foolish. It's people who buy the over priced products sold by scalpers that creates a marketplace for these guys. Personally, I would prefer if that marketplace didn't exist.

Thread Information