Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    After several attempts and page refreshing I was able to get into live chat and lady rep there solved my issues right away, you should give it a try.
    Yea I just saw u on battlefield. So what exactly did she say the problem was? I haven't had to do a password change so far (knock on wood)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Dedicated Member
    THIS was funny...
    My BFF calls me as he's been working so damned much and is FINALLY hooking up his day one system...
    No internet....
    His Hackintosh we built is working fine, Windows machines are fine... PS4 no wanna get Internet!
    SO, I tell him to find and tell me network settings, on his Verizon FiOS network router...

192.168.1.1 for Router
    192.168.1.4 for PS4
    Subnet Mask is BLANK
    192.168.1.1 for DNS....
    Secondary DNS blank

oy....
    OKAY!!! listen carefully.

use Manual settings...
    Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
    and we're gonna use Google's DNS servers for now...
    Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
    Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4

And no dammit, check do not use Proxy Server...

waited a sec...
    I'm on the internet!!!
    Yay.

So, was it the network stack?
    Yes and no, because his Hackintosh while on the internet surfing fine reported the same DNS server, which I DON'T get at the moment. I'm gonna have him run diagnostic on the MAC later just so I can see/hear what it was reporting again.

If you get missing DNS in the beginning through, at least try Google's DNS to get started, they are open to anyone to use.

Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Most secure networks won't except old password as new password
    Exactly. I was expecting it to say I couldn't use the same password but it didn't.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    If you get missing DNS in the beginning through, at least try Google's DNS to get started, they are open to anyone to use.
    FiOS is having some sort of problem with HTTP requests, as has been around here for some time, back to early summer at least, and also confirmed by at least one neighbor. I'm using OpenDNS which is faster for DNS but doesn't fix the problem. It's only HTTP requests. Netflix will be streaming fine but I can't hit a website from my phone. I'll be streaming Spotify but the kids stall for a bit starting a Netflix movie or logging into PSN or XBL. Again, seems only HTTP requests, but the problem is many types of connections start with an HTTP request and then switch to another protocol for streaming or online gaming or whatever. So once you're on, you're on, but getting on sometimes takes a couple minutes or timeouts and you have to try again. This has been going on where I live but what you describe -- one network device connected, the other can't can't, the first stays connected then like magic the other can connect -- it sounds very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by ManaBurnX View Post
    Exactly. I was expecting it to say I couldn't use the same password but it didn't.

Exactly. I'm not doing anything until the system won't let me login. Emails are sent in error all the time. Something's up and I don't think it's potential security breach or suspicious activity. Allowing same news\ passwords as old passwords, rejecting valid email address and/or registration birth year verification, etc. Sony's got some sort of glitch going on and they're not talking about it because this is right before a huge segment of the PS4 launch and since there is no actual security risk they may be annoying people not explaining it, just fixing any problems through customer service, but they're not putting anyone's information at risk since nothing actually happened.

My best guess is that prior to the North American launch they ran a temporary login disable and security notification system test. Then prior to EU launch they ran the same test. But somebody accidentally ran it hot on the real database, not on a test copy of the database disconnected from the outside world. The other weird things, unrecognized email addresses and/or registration birth years, same password allowed for new password -- database issues, really -- notification emails to accounts that haven't actually been disabled or are no longer disabled when the users get the emails, all that can be explained by somebody trying to back out what they screwed up by running the system test on the hot account database. Wouldn't be the first, or even the thousandth, time someone goofed at a company and ran a network systems test hot and caused problems.

They should issue some sort of statement, probably that it's a mistake, bear with us and we'll get you sorted out. But if they definitely have not been cracked and releasing something to the press and general public makes it look like maybe PSN got cracked again, I might not do that announcement, either. Actually, I probably would. I'd write it up something like, "Through past experience of criminal intrusion against Sony network systems, we have become exceptionally zealous in our implementation and reliability testing of very strong security for personal information stored with your accounts on our networks. Sometimes the strength of our security and the depth and regularity of our testing may cause temporary disabling, or otherwise interfere with the use of, Sony network accounts unaffected by a real security threat. We apologize to our accountholders for any inconvenience our commitment to maintaining rigorous security standards may have caused. Please contact a Sony support representative immediately if you are experiencing ongoing issues logging in to your Sony network accounts."

See. That's not so hard. They can even make it look like some IT intern tripping and falling down the stairs was for our own good. They should set up and staff as needed a separate security systems support team, too, so people with issues related to glitched security procedures don't have to wait to talk to someone.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-27-2013 at 13:02.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotGamer901 View Post
    Yea I just saw u on battlefield. So what exactly did she say the problem was? I haven't had to do a password change so far (knock on wood)

It was a bit odd actually, I explained my entire mishap in detail and she just replied by asking me if I had access to the email account associated with my PSN account so I said yes, she said an email to change your password has been set please confirm this. Checked my inbox and there it was, I reset the password right away without any further issues and that was it lol so I didn't even know what it was, didn't care to be honest.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It was a bit odd actually, I explained my entire mishap in detail and she just replied by asking me if I had access to the email account associated with my PSN account so I said yes, she said an email to change your password has been set please confirm this. Checked my inbox and there it was, I reset the password right away without any further issues and that was it lol so I didn't even know what it was, didn't care to be honest.
    Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144

Why would you? Truth be told you should change your passwords regularly and if Sony is asking you too you should change it. What happens if you get hacked because you didn't change it?

Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    Why would you? Truth be told you should change your passwords regularly and if Sony is asking you too you should change it. What happens if you get hacked because you didn't change it?
    I knew it wasn't from being hacked. I originally had to change the password on the PS3 when we all got hacked and at that time of course it didn't let me use the original password. I hate changing passwords constantly because I have a terrible memory and also my current password is not something that can be guessed. If they want to hack that particular account then they'll have fun considering I don't use a credit card on it or anything. If I felt it were truly in danger then I'd change it. This isn't something like my online banking account so I'm not too worried.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    I knew it wasn't from being hacked. I originally had to change the password on the PS3 when we all got hacked and at that time of course it didn't let me use the original password. I hate changing passwords constantly because I have a terrible memory and also my current password is not something that can be guessed. If they want to hack that particular account then they'll have fun considering I don't use a credit card on it or anything. If I felt it were truly in danger then I'd change it. This isn't something like my online banking account so I'm not too worried.
    Do like I do and write in down just dont leave the damn thing lying around LOL It is why they made safes.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Lol sell at least it's fixed now

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Veteran
    Thanks you guys! I'm glad too because I was starting to get impatient since I'm barely getting like 30-60 mins of playing daily because of work.

Thread Information