Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room

How does renting movies through PSN work?

Was wanting to spend my $10 on renting some movies, but not sure the exact way it works.

Is it like iTunes where: you download the movie and have liek 15 days to watch it and once you start it you have 24 hours to finish it....and after that it's over with?

Just want to know if it's wise to download the movie over night and then have time to watch it later on or if it streams or what.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Idk. I know Amazon prime lets you watch it for 3 days. So I'm assuming it's along those lines.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    Was wanting to spend my $10 on renting some movies, but not sure the exact way it works.

Is it like iTunes where: you download the movie and have liek 15 days to watch it and once you start it you have 24 hours to finish it....and after that it's over with?

Just want to know if it's wise to download the movie over night and then have time to watch it later on or if it streams or what.
    I haven't tried on the PS4, but I'm going to guess it's the same as the PS3. The way it works on the PS3 is that yes, you "rent" the movie and have 15-30 days to start to watch it (Sorry i don't remember the exact specified time) After you start watching it you have 24hrs to finish watching it.

You have the option to download the movie in its entirety before you watch, or you can stream the movie as it downloads (I typically do this) If you choose to stream, the system will check your download speeds to see if your internet is fast enough to handle this. Sometimes if you get close to the Buffer it may drop HD for a bit or you may have to sit and let it buffer for a bit. This has happened to me, but it's very rare. (maybe once every 5 movies or so)

hope this helps!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I always thought that the whole 24 hours to watch it once you start watching it was stupid. If you rent it, you should at least get it for a few days. I hope they change that to be more consumer friendly.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Quote Originally Posted by P51-SN95 View Post
    I haven't tried on the PS4, but I'm going to guess it's the same as the PS3. The way it works on the PS3 is that yes, you "rent" the movie and have 15-30 days to start to watch it (Sorry i don't remember the exact specified time) After you start watching it you have 24hrs to finish watching it.

You have the option to download the movie in its entirety before you watch, or you can stream the movie as it downloads (I typically do this) If you choose to stream, the system will check your download speeds to see if your internet is fast enough to handle this. Sometimes if you get close to the Buffer it may drop HD for a bit or you may have to sit and let it buffer for a bit. This has happened to me, but it's very rare. (maybe once every 5 movies or so)

hope this helps!
    Thanks.....I'll be downloading Pacific Rim tonight!!!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post

I just wanted to let you know also, that it is streamed. No more downloading. I was taken back by that a little, but the stream was okay for Pacific Rim but sporadic for Superman for me. It may have been the time of day. Also you will see some pixel drop. Eithway, I hope they allow us to download in the future if we want.

Apprentice
    How much is it to rent a movie cause netflix is 7.99 a month and you can watch as many movies as you want.

8. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MLG221 View Post
    How much is it to rent a movie cause netflix is 7.99 a month and you can watch as many movies as you want.
    prices may vary by location, but the US is 3.99 or 4.99 for a movie in SD and 5.99 for the movie in HD This is for new release movies.

Older movies are sometimes .99

Also the movies are usually there well before they're available on Netflix and also if you want netflix in HD it's more (do they even offer HD streaming??) Pretty sure when I stream from Netflix it's not HD.

Apprentice

How does their redbox work is it really a dollar?

Thread Information