Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank

Onscreen Type Size, KZ SF, Other Games

This isn't really limited to PS4 or KZ SF -- I first noticed in GTA V on PS3 -- but it's remarkable in KZ SF. What's with the tiny type in games lately? I flat can't read mission objectives and some other onscreen text. At 45, I'm older than most of you, but it's really your near vision that starts to go in your 40s. I've always been myopic and use vision correction for that and I haven't had any problem reading onscreen game text until recently. Maybe I could use a tiny prescription update for the myopia, but still, with my glasses on, I can read things at greater distance than my wife, who doesn't require vision correction.

So is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this trend to text that's so small it's all but unreadable at reasonable viewing distances? It's a 32-inch HDTV, but you'd think those aren't so uncommon compared with larger TVs, especially for gaming, that developers can count on 47-inch-plus TVs for displaying text.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    It's not just you mate..GTA text made me actually go and have an eye test where I was told I do not need glasses at all. I asked for the lowest prescription as I tire when concentrating at times which I'm sure is actually due to tiring days.

It's the games that are doing this.

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    haha you pair of old knackers!

I'm 44 and I can read the text - of course what I can't do is focus on stuff 20 feet away from me without my glasses as my eyes a $#@!e then. So, as long as I am within 20 feet of a game then I'm good.

/alpha male

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_gooner View Post
    It's not just you mate..GTA text made me actually go and have an eye test where I was told I do not need glasses at all. I asked for the lowest prescription as I tire when concentrating at times which I'm sure is actually due to tiring days.

It's the games that are doing this.
    Ah, good news for me, then, as I thought I might be starting to suffer substantial vision loss. As for tired eyes, I get the same problems. I'm a writer and I'm looking at a laptop screen all day long. By the time I get around to playing games I'm blinking like mad. It's the reason the notion of upgrading to an iPad mini with a higher resolution retina display didn't impress me. Well, one of the reasons. But the blur reading books on my original mini text isn't from the resolution, it's from my weary eyes. By afternoon, real paper books, even that supposedly crisp text of traditional printing is bleary like reading it through a wet windscreen.

Back to games, I wish there was an option to increase the type size in games as I really can't, you know, pick up and hold the TV closer to my face.. Though I suppose such an option would wreak all sorts of havoc with the art direction and probably even gameplay in some games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    haha you pair of old knackers!

I'm 44 and I can read the text - of course what I can't do is focus on stuff 20 feet away from me without my glasses as my eyes a $#@!e then. So, as long as I am within 20 feet of a game then I'm good.

/alpha male
    See, that's the more usual expectation for people in their 40s and vision changes. I've been fortunate in that regard so far, in that I still don't quite qualify for the lowest common reading glasses prescription. I do prefer to take my regular glasses off to read, though; it's a small difference but it's noticeable.

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Can't you use this as a great excuse with the wife, husband, partner, pet, to justify getting a 63 inch f'ing monstrosity of a TV in your console gaming room?

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    Can't you use this as a great excuse with the wife, husband, partner, pet, to justify getting a 63 inch f'ing monstrosity of a TV in your console gaming room?
    E

I probably could since even she noticed it in KZ SF and said she couldn't read a thing onscreen while watching me play. Except I have the two main HDTVs with matte screens, for movies -- also handy for no sunlight glare or reflecting what's in the room, but mostly so movies look like movies. Anyway, it's pretty much impossible to get matte finish HDTVs anymore, at any size screen.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    i guess when they test the games they are sat fairly close to the screen. Almost PC monitor close and not 10-12 feet away sat on a couch.

Devs are starting to add clour blindnes into games so why not font increases?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    i guess when they test the games they are sat fairly close to the screen. Almost PC monitor close and not 10-12 feet away sat on a couch.

Devs are starting to add clour blindnes into games so why not font increases?
    That's an excellent point. During development the artists and software engineers and testers are sitting at most a couple feet from the screen, like I do when I work. They don't realize that at normal gaming distance it's squint city for a lot of us. That should be a static ergonomics and UI item in all game test plans written for testers: play the game for two hours from 10-feet away while sitting on a couch.

Forum Elder
    I thought about hooking my ps4 up to my 70 inch because of this. I play on a 40 inch.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information