Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

iBuyPower's Steam Machine offers PC specs for the price of a new Xbox

iBuyPower's Steam Machine offers PC specs for the price of a new Xbox

By Sean Hollister on November 25, 2013 10:52 pm Email
    223COMMENTS

DON'T MISS STORIES FOLLOW THE VERGE

[COLOR=#04558B !important]4

in[COLOR=#333333 !important]Share[/COLOR]

Valve's official Steam Machine prototype isn't cheap, but it won't be the only Steam-powered video-game console available come 2014. This morning, iBuyPower revealed a prototype of its own upcoming Steam Machine, which will go on sale for just $499 next year. For the price of an Xbox One, the computer will offer a multicore AMD CPU and a discrete AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card that's a $180 GPU all by itself and come with Valve's Steam Controller as part of the package deal.
    The company says the box is bigger than a PlayStation 4 but smaller than Microsoft's Xbox One, and comes standard with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and a 500GB hard drive. The glossy white case also has a fully customizable light bar running down the center channel, and an integrated power supply. You won't have to find room for a power brick on your home entertainment center shelves.

For the price, you won't be getting Windows, only Valve's Linux-based Steam OS, which could be an issue starting out. While Valve has quite a few games running on Linux already, and says that major game developers will be building triple-A game titles specifically for Steam OS in 2014, it's not quite the same as having the entire Windows catalog as a fallback. Still, iBuyPower says that existing Steam for Linux games should run quite well, at full 1080p resolution and 60 frames per second. We're looking forward to see just how much power iBuyPower can provide for under $500.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/25/5...-radeon-r9-270

Well, think it's gonna be a no-brainer for me between the two.

[/COLOR]

Power Member
    I think PS4 is still better for the money imo, but this is competitive vs Xbox One providing you don't care much for Kinect.

Elite Sage
    I really like the look of that box. I'm not sure I'd buy one but there will be a market for it that's for sure. Would be interested to see if you could upgrade the R270 to something else and if need be you could install Windows on to it.

The R270 is a good card though. Can do a stable 58.1FPS at 1920x1080 on ulta for BF4. Better than both the consoles. In a video i posted a thread down it compared the PS4 and XBone to a $500 PC and it's looking like that trend might continue. First ever generation where consoles haven't had ground, breaking technology inside of them

Last edited by BBK..; 11-26-2013 at 16:46.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I think PS4 is still better for the money imo, but this is competitive vs Xbox One providing you don't care much for Kinect.
    Or that you have gimped upgrade options.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/25/5...-radeon-r9-270

Well, think it's gonna be a no-brainer for me between the two.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Not exactly pretty. Valve need to keep a tight grip on external designs, lest the ugliness damages the steambox brand. Too ugly? No official Steambox stamp.
    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Elite Sage
    I thought it looked pretty cool. Not as nice as the black one I've seen knocking about the internet but it looks cool.

edit: This one
    Last edited by BBK..; 11-27-2013 at 10:24.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    I am taking the dive with the steam box. I am still torn on that controller. Will have to use it first. If I don't like it I am sure they got usb to use something else.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I dunno man, i think this thing is the worst of both worlds.

Want full power and alot of old and new games? -> play on a windows pc
    (you can upgrade it, you can hook it up to a TV and use Steams "Big Picture Mode" , you can do whatever you want)

Want certain exclusive AAA titles, an awesome controller, free PS+ games, trophies etc.? -> play on PS

What does this thing have going for it?
    1. "It's using a Unix based OS by Valve so that's kinda cool right? We promise there will be games too!"

P.S. Don't forget that you can install SteamOS on any PC out there

Elite Sage
    You could also dual boot this

I just like it for the small form factor and hopefully more and more support for SteamOS means I could leave Windows.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    I dunno man, i think this thing is the worst of both worlds.

Want full power and alot of old and new games? -> play on a windows pc
    (you can upgrade it, you can hook it up to a TV and use Steams "Big Picture Mode" , you can do whatever you want)

Want certain exclusive AAA titles, an awesome controller, free PS+ games, trophies etc.? -> play on PS

What does this thing have going for it?
    1. "It's using a Unix based OS by Valve so that's kinda cool right? We promise there will be games too!"

P.S. Don't forget that you can install SteamOS on any PC out there
    Itsfor the non PC gamers. That want ot be on their couch and not faff and fiddle with driver problems or build a PC.

Thread Information