Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,275
    Rep Power
    140
    Points
    75,543 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Forza 4 vs Forza 5 comparison video

    This really shows off the Xbox One well. The lighting is so impressive.

    http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/n...ics-comparison


    Other videos



    Last edited by Lethal; 11-27-2013 at 01:57.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Bligmerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,386
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    20,979 (0 Banked)
    What about shadows? The Forza4 car is producing a shadow while the Forza5 car has this strange fixed shadow underneath it. It is almost like the lighting isn't shadow casting. The reflection of the distant background landscape makes it stand out that a 2D texture map is being used, not geometry, and something distant would not reflect that well on a car hood. There also seems to be a very flat matte appearance to Forza5 compared to Forza4.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

  3. #3
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,657
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,770 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    What about shadows? The Forza4 car is producing a shadow while the Forza5 car has this strange fixed shadow underneath it. It is almost like the lighting isn't shadow casting. The reflection of the distant background landscape makes it stand out that a 2D texture map is being used, not geometry, and something distant would not reflect that well on a car hood. There also seems to be a very flat matte appearance to Forza5 compared to Forza4.
    are we watching the same video? I see shadows fine. and they're way better in Forza 5.

    overall though...i donno man, they made a much better-looking game but we're also on a somewhat 8x better hardware too. you'd expect at least this much.

    i think if we're going to see what next-gen is all about, we're going to have to wait for PD...no i'm not trying to troll here, i'm serious. while I have respect for turn 10 to get to where they are and actually beating GT in some aspects while being close and being par on some, they don't have what it takes when it comes to visuals.

    The moment they take over in terms of visuals and physics is the day i will stop believing in the Japanese' obsessive nature to seek perfection.

    they're like the rockstar of racing games when it comes to visuals and car physics. hopefully they work on some of the other stuff moving forward like online and extra features that make the game more complete, such as customizeable stuff we hear on Forza as well as auction house. i was really hoping for a robust online with GT5 and it just wasn't there.

    we really need to see weather effects come to life in next-gen games, as well as day/night cycles (more persistent ones, maybe something that mimics realistic times). i'm thinking of this as a Forza 4 port with a 5 slapped on it, just in time for launch. i'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary or wow-worthy.

    DC is actually slightly more exciting to me from a visual perspective but nothing major either, no weather effects i noticed in that game as well. then again, being created by an arcade racer developer. what can you really expect.

    i'm not a huge racer fan but i do like them and i like how they push the hardware. i'm afraid if GT7 comes out soon, it may just be GT6.5...we'll have to wait another 3-4 years before we truly see what PD is capable of. we'll see how Turn 10 measures up to them by then. wow long post, it's 2am lol.
    Last edited by Omar; 11-27-2013 at 07:42.

  4. #4
    Superior Member
    GreatSpaceKoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    10,467 (0 Banked)
    While Forza 5 does definitely look better, this just further proves the law diminishing returns for the new generation. It's not like it wasn't predicted.

  5. #5
    PSU Live Streamer
    YoungMullah88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Charlotte
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Posts
    14,227
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    30,783 (1,800 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    LODR my ass, this is Just a launch title. Are you trying to say games further down in the generation will not look better than F5?

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Dedicated Member
    Sajuuk Khar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,374
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    8,398 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    LODR my ass, this is Just a launch title. Are you trying to say games further down in the generation will not look better than F5?

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Yeah would be more appropriate to compare Forza 2 and 5, first games on each console. Or even looking at 2 compared to 4 and seeing how there are improvements on the same hardware.

  7. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
  8. #7
    Superior Member
    GreatSpaceKoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    10,467 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    LODR my ass, this is Just a launch title. Are you trying to say games further down in the generation will not look better than F5?

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    No.... I said the law of DIMINISHING returns. I never said it wouldn't get better. Graphically in general, games get less and less impressive each new gen to my eyes.

  9. #8
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,657
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,770 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    No.... I said the law of DIMINISHING returns. I never said it wouldn't get better. Graphically in general, games get less and less impressive each new gen to my eyes.
    lol you're going to be disappointed once next-gen really comes in full force. did you see what GTA5 looked like? that was unbelievable.

    i have no doubt in my mind we're going to see a huge jump.

    trust me, we're nowhere near there yet. this generation is just going to be about expansive games, visuals will still take a hit. next-gen is likely going to be about more MMOs and maybe the games won't need to be much bigger but with more graphics and objects.

    that's how i see generations. for example, previous (PS3/360) was all about looking good, not necessarily much bigger. but this generation, we're not seeing anything amazing so far but definitely much bigger.

  10. #9
    Superior Member
    GreatSpaceKoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    10,467 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    lol you're going to be disappointed once next-gen really comes in full force. did you see what GTA5 looked like? that was unbelievable.

    i have no doubt in my mind we're going to see a huge jump.

    trust me, we're nowhere near there yet. this generation is just going to be about expansive games, visuals will still take a hit. next-gen is likely going to be about more MMOs and maybe the games won't need to be much bigger but with more graphics and objects.

    that's how i see generations. for example, previous (PS3/360) was all about looking good, not necessarily much bigger. but this generation, we're not seeing anything amazing so far but definitely much bigger.
    Oh I never said I wouldn't be impressed. I basically said my level of being impressed diminishes with each gen as things get more and more photo-realistic. Most of the major jumps in 3-D graphics advances have already occurred. Now it's more subtle in magnitude now with a little bit better filtering, lighting, resolution, textures, etc.... Hence why the leaps become less and less in magnitude as technology advances.

  11. #10
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,657
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,770 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Oh I never said I wouldn't be impressed. I basically said my level of being impressed diminishes with each gen as things get more and more photo-realistic. Most of the major jumps in 3-D graphics advances have already occurred. Now it's more subtle in magnitude now with a little bit better filtering, lighting, resolution, textures, etc.... Hence why the leaps become less and less in magnitude as technology advances.
    i feel like this is a perspective because the jump i'm somewhat seeing next-gen is a big deal to me. i am sick and tired of current gen graphics, muddy textures, just overall muddy resolution...i can't wait to play 1080p on my 46".

    also, i love shader effects and we just don't have enough of that this generation. i get the point you're making because Halo 1 back on Xbox and MGS2 on PS2 were mind-blowing, yes, we don't see anything like that yet but hey, can you say for certain GTA 6 ain't going to blow us away? I thought GTA 4 was amazing for its time.

  12. #11
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,275
    Rep Power
    140
    Points
    75,543 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The video in the Game Trailers link shows off the best comparison. The video shows how much more crisp and clear the game is now. The lighting and shadows are vastly improved. And this is just a launch game. I can only imagine what Forza 7 will look like.

  13. #12
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,657
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,770 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    since it's fair to assume this game was rushed for launch, yea definitely i'd expect it to get vastly better. these consoles are beasts, just underutilized so far. of course the best results will come years from now but i'd expect 2x better by next year.

    also i think you meant Forza 6 NFS lol, getting your series mixed up.

    EDIT: oh i get it, you were talking about Forza 7 to imply that in a few years, we'll see amazing stuff. i agree.

  14. #13
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,275
    Rep Power
    140
    Points
    75,543 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    since it's fair to assume this game was rushed for launch, yea definitely i'd expect it to get vastly better. these consoles are beasts, just underutilized so far. of course the best results will come years from now but i'd expect 2x better by next year.

    also i think you meant Forza 6 NFS lol, getting your series mixed up.

    EDIT: oh i get it, you were talking about Forza 7 to imply that in a few years, we'll see amazing stuff. i agree.

    Exactly!

  15. #14
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,062
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    141,443 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The game looks great for sure, and it is easily noticed that it is a definitely step above "last gen". You just have to look and take it all in. Play 4, and then play 5. When you're looking at it from the console itself and not on web videos, you'll see it easily.




  16. #15
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,740
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    3,360,790 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    yeah F34R.. web videos are horrible for gauging what a game looks like.

  17. #16
    Master Poster
    Beast of Bourbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Blighttown
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,482
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    11,743 (0 Banked)
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I kinda wish we could back to the PS2 -> PS3 jump.
    That was a real NEXT GEN experience.

    Sure F5 looks better but all these comparisons just keep making me think "i can't believe how well the old gen has aged".
    The differences aren't that extreme anymore.

    Edit: Then again maybe Youtube vids just suck

  18. #17
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,275
    Rep Power
    140
    Points
    75,543 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    I kinda wish we could back to the PS2 -> PS3 jump.
    That was a real NEXT GEN experience.

    Sure F5 looks better but the all these comparisons just keep making me think "i can't believe how well the old gen has aged".
    The differences just aren't that extreme anymore.
    The greatest jump was going from the SNES to the PS1/N64. That was mind blowing.

  19. Likes JVH likes this post
  20. #18
    Master Poster
    Beast of Bourbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Blighttown
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,482
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    11,743 (0 Banked)
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Hehehe yeah everything was 3d all of a sudden

  21. #19
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,657
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,770 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The game looks great for sure, and it is easily noticed that it is a definitely step above "last gen". You just have to look and take it all in. Play 4, and then play 5. When you're looking at it from the console itself and not on web videos, you'll see it easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    yeah F34R.. web videos are horrible for gauging what a game looks like.
    These points are valid but that has little to do with the points being made. Yes, you will see more clarity on your TV because the resolution is a big jump to begin with. Yes, we are missing those little details but that’s beside the point because my point wasn’t that there isn’t a huge difference between F4 and 5, I’m speaking from a broader perspective looking at next-gen games so far.

    The margin of error is there of course, because even if you have a 1080p video and you’re watching it on your big screen, I know that it “still” doesn’t look as good as the real thing. My point was mostly about the features and how the games need to evolve.

    There’s definitely a significant jump there in visual performance even judging from the youtube videos (which doesn’t give you 60fps and true 1080p resolution) but they do give a good indication of how a game looks for the most part.

    E.g. it turns out Crimson Dragon does look like $#@! and Sub was arguing with me up and down saying that I didn’t know anything because it was a youtube video…ok lol…I guess we should just stop looking at trailers and previews…because how can we possibly know what a game looks like?

    But that’s not even the argument, I’m sure it looks hella better than F4. The point is that these games need to be doing more than just a simple static visual upgrade. They need to evolve visually and dynamically.

  22. #20
    Veteran
    Bligmerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,386
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    20,979 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    are we watching the same video? I see shadows fine. and they're way better in Forza 5.
    Might want to get your eyes checked.



    It looks like dynamic shadow casting and bump mapping have been taken out of Forza 5 to achieve the 1080p. It looks like a flat and lifeless game.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

  23. #21
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,740
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    3,360,790 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You didn't hit play on those vids did you.

    You would have then seen the dynamic shadows on the F5 footage, the road textures, the debris on the road, etc...


    try harder.

  24. #22
    Power Member
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,354
    Rep Power
    124
    Points
    55,572 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Different time of day in each comparison so the shadows do not match up because the sun is in different positions in the sky.

    P.S
    The second batch the car is already in the shadow from the trees.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Might want to get your eyes checked.



    It looks like dynamic shadow casting and bump mapping have been taken out of Forza 5 to achieve the 1080p. It looks like a flat and lifeless game.
    Last edited by keefy; 11-27-2013 at 16:50.

  25. #23
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,275
    Rep Power
    140
    Points
    75,543 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Might want to get your eyes checked.



    It looks like dynamic shadow casting and bump mapping have been taken out of Forza 5 to achieve the 1080p. It looks like a flat and lifeless game.
    You need to watch the videos. You are assuming both videos are of the same time of day. They clearly are not though. One side is bright and sunny, the other cloudy and muggy.

    The Forza 5 videos also show accurate shadows of the trees covering the road. This would cause a lack of shadow coming off the vehicle in certain spots.

  26. #24
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,657
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,770 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    you guys took the words out of my mouth. but yea, it's very clear that forza 5 has way better and realistic shadows compared to f4.

  27. #25
    overstepping the mark
    -Shafty-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,350
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    36,743 (10,700 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    I kinda wish we could back to the PS2 -> PS3 jump.
    That was a real NEXT GEN experience.

    Sure F5 looks better but all these comparisons just keep making me think "i can't believe how well the old gen has aged".
    The differences aren't that extreme anymore.

    Edit: Then again maybe Youtube vids just suck
    i dunno, going from playing Black on the ps2 to Resistance on the ps3 wasnt that big of a jump


    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.