Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,935
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    27,950 (0 Banked)

    Next-Gen Face-Off: FIFA 14

    FIFA 14: the Digital Foundry verdict.
    As performance metrics stabilise at either a clean 30 or 60fps, we're left short on ways to truly distinguish the two next-gen versions on any technical level. That being the case, it's worth noting the Xbox One version does offer a minor advantage in content with its exclusive Ultimate Team "Legends," opening up access to classic players like Pelé, Lineker and Zola. It's perhaps not the most essential feature given the rarity of these cards, and the potential expenditure on packs to seek them out, but it's a clear point in favour of the Xbox One release.


    Speaking of content, certain modes are stripped back compared to the PS3 and 360 editions - Be a Pro and Tournament options, for example. Getting the game out in a reasonable time-frame likely took precedence this year, but on the plus side, the honed focus does mean the Ignite Engine lands on both feet to give the definitive on-pitch experience.


    In all, putting aside nit-picks in gamma that suggest a slight black push on the Xbox One, both releases are a match in every other conceivable sense. The 1080p presentation backed up by 2xMSAA is sumptuous to behold, and sidesteps the upscaling and post-processing seen in other games that tend to spoil all the hard work. As a result, FIFA 14 easily ranks as the most crisply presented next-gen game released yet, and for time time being, a solid showcase of the next-gen difference to any passer-by.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-fifa-14-next-gen-face-off

    guess i'll have to use my free game code and give this a go.

  2. #2
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I really wanted that Legends content!!! However, I wanna play vs a community of players that I interact with, PSU members for example. So I chose the PS4 version based on online interaction that I will have.




  3. #3
    PSU Editor
    Shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,048
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    9,547 (0 Banked)
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I really wanted that Legends content!!! However, I wanna play vs a community of players that I interact with, PSU members for example. So I chose the PS4 version based on online interaction that I will have.
    Man, I'm the same. Really annoyed we didn't the 'legends' content; 42 players - horrible! There's so many greats in there. Plus the omission of a collar-up '96 Sharp Manchester United jersey to go with Cantona is one of the greater tragedies to befall FIFA in years.

    Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

  4. #4
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The One version does look a little better.. barely, but it is noticeable if you look at them side by side.




  5. #5
    Member
    IshTing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Sheffield
    PSN ID
    IshTing
    Age
    24
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    7
    Points
    2,094 (0 Banked)
    I'm a football fan, I have the game, but - "As a result, FIFA 14 easily ranks as the most crisply presented next-gen game released yet". Really?

  6. #6
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    when you compare it from "previous" gen, yes. It has made significant improvements for sure.




  7. #7
    PSU Editor
    Shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,048
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    9,547 (0 Banked)
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    when you compare it from "previous" gen, yes. It has made significant improvements for sure.
    Traded in my PS3 version for the next-gen one. (GameStop deal). Can't play it 'til the end of next week, though. What's the main differences? More fluidity in movement, better crowds, loading(?), better character models? Anything else?

    Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

  8. #8
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    Traded in my PS3 version for the next-gen one. (GameStop deal). Can't play it 'til the end of next week, though. What's the main differences? More fluidity in movement, better crowds, loading(?), better character models? Anything else?
    All that.




  9. #9
    PSU Editor
    Shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,048
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    9,547 (0 Banked)
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    I can live with that. Nuanced tinkering always affects FIFA in bigger ways than initially thought - can't expect miracle upheavals at the start of the generation!

    Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

  10. #10
    PSU Trophy Manager
    Fenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,604
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    19,721 (1,000 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Not really been keeping up, but I assume PS4 is using OpenGL and X1 is using DirectX like usual?

    Sig&Av by Kuro

    PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

    PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

  11. #11
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    I can live with that. Nuanced tinkering always affects FIFA in bigger ways than initially thought - can't expect miracle upheavals at the start of the generation!
    I hope they do even more for next year.




  12. #12
    PSU Editor
    Shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,048
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    9,547 (0 Banked)
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I hope they do even more for next year.
    We'll never get mammoth differences, unfortunately. Just refinement after refinement. Since we're greeted with a FIFA annually they'll only ever drip-feed change; same old buzzwords will be used to sell the product each time. Not knocking it, I'm happy to pay for the newest one and it does change enough for me to warrant the cost. That said, the biggest leap of the FIFA's PS4 era will be from now to next year when EA Canada get to grips with the hardware at their disposal and use it for lead development rather than this years.

    Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

  13. #13
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    We'll never get mammoth differences, unfortunately. Just refinement after refinement. Since we're greeted with a FIFA annually they'll only ever drip-feed change; same old buzzwords will be used to sell the product each time. Not knocking it, I'm happy to pay for the newest one and it does change enough for me to warrant the cost. That said, the biggest leap of the FIFA's PS4 era will be from now to next year when EA Canada get to grips with the hardware at their disposal and use it for lead development rather than this years.
    That's what I'm afraid of. If it turns out just like "last gen", I won't buy it again for a few years. I think they can go visually, at least, a lot better.




  14. #14
    Member
    IshTing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Sheffield
    PSN ID
    IshTing
    Age
    24
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    7
    Points
    2,094 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    when you compare it from "previous" gen, yes. It has made significant improvements for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I think they can go visually, at least, a lot better.
    I could be wrong but from the part I quoted, I thought he was saying it is visually more crisp than any other game released this gen?

  15. #15
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by IshTing View Post
    I could be wrong but from the part I quoted, I thought he was saying it is visually more crisp than any other game released this gen?
    Yeah, I see it. Let me think about it lol.




  16. #16
    Forum Elder
    Abdou23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Egypt
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,552
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    11,498 (0 Banked)
    To me Ultimate Team is a good concept but is unplayable due to it's horrible finance system, i don't know how people manage to get lots of money without doing some market tricks. I tried it on 13 and found myself spending lot of money trying to trade than actually playing matches, and still the results wasn't satisfying at all.

    PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

  17. #17
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    To me Ultimate Team is a good concept but is unplayable due to it's horrible finance system, i don't know how people manage to get lots of money without doing some market tricks. I tried it on 13 and found myself spending lot of money trying to trade than actually playing matches, and still the results wasn't satisfying at all.
    They go to a shop online that sells points, and buys them outrageous amounts and then buys players. meh...




  18. #18
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,785
    Rep Power
    118
    Points
    68,344 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by IshTing View Post
    I'm a football fan, I have the game, but - "As a result, FIFA 14 easily ranks as the most crisply presented next-gen game released yet". Really?
    You'll wanna wait for MLB The Show for true next gen sports graphics.

    Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

  19. #19
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    You'll wanna wait for MLB The Show for true next gen sports graphics.
    The anticipation is killing me for it!!




  20. #20
    PSU Editor
    Shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,048
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    9,547 (0 Banked)
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    To me Ultimate Team is a good concept but is unplayable due to it's horrible finance system, i don't know how people manage to get lots of money without doing some market tricks. I tried it on 13 and found myself spending lot of money trying to trade than actually playing matches, and still the results wasn't satisfying at all.
    I gave it a go properly for the first time this year. Nothing more disheartening than raising coins (which takes an age) to buy a gold pack and then getting absolute pittance in it. I don't understand the concept of IF players, either. They don't come in a pack for that one week but are they noticeably better? Like stats-wise? Enough to justify the ridiculous inflation? When Januzaj put those two past Sunderland people were buying him for nearly 100,000 coins. He's rated 61!

    Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

  21. #21
    Forum Elder
    Abdou23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Egypt
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,552
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    11,498 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    I gave it a go properly for the first time this year. Nothing more disheartening than raising coins (which takes an age) to buy a gold pack and then getting absolute pittance in it. I don't understand the concept of IF players, either. They don't come in a pack for that one week but are they noticeably better? Like stats-wise? Enough to justify the ridiculous inflation? When Januzaj put those two past Sunderland people were buying him for nearly 100,000 coins. He's rated 61!
    i wonder why it's so popular, it's unplayable for me.

    PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

  22. #22
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    i wonder why it's so popular, it's unplayable for me.
    Why is it unplayable? What problem(s) are you having?




  23. #23
    Forum Elder
    Abdou23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Egypt
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,552
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    11,498 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Why is it unplayable? What problem(s) are you having?
    As i mentioned the lack of money, the amount you get after each match isn't enough to even purchase new contracts for the players, and it's annoying to use the market manipulating methods. Whish there was some easier and practical way. The game should be about managing a team not show your financial skills by doing some market tricks.

    PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

  24. #24
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ahh, I gotcha.




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.