Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Try the video output setting to 1080p instead of automatic.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-02-2013 at 21:45.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    That would have been good info to give in your first post. Bluray needs an hdcp compliant monitor and gaming doesn't. Going hdmi to dvi you are not getting the hdcp handshake and it's down scaling to 480p
    Actually HDMI to DVI will do HDMI handshaking. The only thing that's not supported going from HDMI to DVI is the Audio Channel.

Grae...

The monitor also indicates it supports HDCP. But it's not a Native 1080p as it's 1920x1200 (not 1920x1080) and I know that there's been some devices that default back to base level resolution if it's not supporting one of it's native output modes (which 1920x1200 isn't native output supported by PS4.)

It seems pretty apparent that they output driving from Game Play vs Video Decode/Playback of Media isn't the same, so it may be able to be forced into 1080p via system display options. Not being at home at the moment I can't pull up the systems menu, but you may want to start digging though it to see if there's an option to do this as the monitor will obvious support taking a 1920x1080 video input.

You may also want to call Sony's support line on this.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Try the video output setting to 1080p instead of automatic.
    Good point. If it's in automatic I don't think the ps4 can tell what resolution the tv is through dvi. Although if it's not hdcp compliant it prolly still won't work.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Actually HDMI to DVI will do HDMI handshaking. The only thing that's not supported going from HDMI to DVI is the Audio Channel.

Grae...

The monitor also indicates it supports HDCP. But it's not a Native 1080p as it's 1920x1200 (not 1920x1080) and I know that there's been some devices that default back to base level resolution if it's not supporting one of it's native output modes (which 1920x1200 isn't native output supported by PS4.)

It seems pretty apparent that they output driving from Game Play vs Video Decode/Playback of Media isn't the same, so it may be able to be forced into 1080p via system display options. Not being at home at the moment I can't pull up the systems menu, but you may want to start digging though it to see if there's an option to do this as the monitor will obvious support taking a 1920x1080 video input.

You may also want to call Sony's support line on this.
    i guess I missed where he said what model the monitor is. What is it?

edit: duh see it now. Samsung SyncMaster 244T
    Last edited by on the rocks; 12-02-2013 at 22:08.

PSN ID
    RohnnyDeppyJr
    That would have been good info to give in your first post. Bluray needs an hdcp compliant monitor and gaming doesn't. Going hdmi to dvi you are not getting the hdcp handshake and it's down scaling to 480p
    Yeah that would've been a good idea, just didn't clue in that they worked differently. Thanks for the info though!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Quote Originally Posted by graemedickson84 View Post
    Yeah that would've been a good idea, just didn't clue in that they worked differently. Thanks for the info though!
    well I may be wrong on your monitor not being hdcp compliant. Did you try changing the resolution on the ps4 from automatic to 1080p like keefy suggested?

PSN ID
    RohnnyDeppyJr
    well I may be wrong on your monitor not being hdcp compliant. Did you try changing the resolution on the ps4 from automatic to 1080p like keefy suggested?
    It only lets me select "Automatic" when connected to that screen :/

Quote Originally Posted by graemedickson84 View Post
    It only lets me select "Automatic" when connected to that screen :/
    FWIW, you are not the only one running into this issue with a DVI monitor. There have already been a lot of good suggestions on this thread, but I am willing to bet the issue won't be resolved without a PS4 firmware update. Since blu-ray movie playback came in at the last second with the 1.50 update, it probably didn't get as much extensive testing. If enough people run into this issue, hopefully Sony will fix it. It may also depend on what Sony's stance is on supporting HDMI-DVI connections. From what bzncapone says in the forum post I linked to, it seemed to work okay with the PS3, so maybe that's a good sign it will get fixed on the PS4.

9. Likes graemedickson84 wishes they had posted this first.

I haven't tried a Bluray in mine yet, I guess I should do that.

Thread Information