Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

PSN ID
    RohnnyDeppyJr

PS4 won't play Blurays in 1080p

I've asked this many times and each time everyone assumes I'm an idiot. I'm running my PS4 to a 1080p Samsung LCD monitor; the screen was $800, believe me, it's a good display. It plays games in brilliant 1080p, but all Blurays look like utter bull****. I have the 1.51 patch and I have "Connect to The Internet" set to "Allowed". All of my Blurays look great on my TV downstairs, but I'm not moving my PS4 down there, so don't suggest it. So if anyone has any advice as to why they look like high contrast DVDs and not Blurays would be much appreciated.

2. Dislikes HellsJester dislikes this post
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by graeme****son84 View Post
    I've asked this many times and each time everyone assumes I'm an idiot. I'm running my PS4 to a 1080p Samsung LCD monitor; the screen was $800, believe me, it's a good display. It plays games in brilliant 1080p, but all Blurays look like utter bull****. I have the 1.51 patch and I have "Connect to The Internet" set to "Allowed". All of my Blurays look great on my TV downstairs, but I'm not moving my PS4 down there, so don't suggest it. So if anyone has any advice as to why they look like high contrast DVDs and not Blurays would be much appreciated.
    Is it just the PS4 doing it or is your PS3 or Blu-ray player also doing this?
    No issues with mine, so maybe just call Sony if it is a PS4 only issue :-/

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    In what way do they look bull****?
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Extreme Poster
    if it's a new TV, maybe your settings are all messed up. maybe fix those first. could also be the cable. see if other things also look like crap, report back.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    BR movies play just fine and look incredible for me. Hisense 50" LED LCD.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Ummm yeah. I'd say your TV's settings are wrong or you may have an issue with your console. BD's look just great to me.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    I don't see how your TV could be the problem if the games look fine. Sounds like an issue with your PS4/content protection issue maybe (a half unlock?). Hit up Sony I'd say.

BR movies play just fine and look incredible for me.

10. Dislikes AaronSOLDIER dislikes this post
    Dedicated Member

I would say to 1) reset your TV settings. 2) Go into PS4 options ans set the displays to auto. Also, make sure your TV is 1080P and not 1080i. (Sounds dumb, but you know!)

PSN ID
    RohnnyDeppyJr
    I'm not trolling. I'm legitimately facing a problem. :/ That's why I posted here. And the bluray movies look like 480p

As far as I know, it could just be my PS4 having a reader problem. I did buy an extended product plan too, so I could just have it repaired. But in all seriousness, I'd rather see what I can do in my, or your, power to fix my problem.

To D3seeker:

How would I go about that? Just go on their website for support?

Please use multiquote button next time - Itachi
    Last edited by Itachi; 12-01-2013 at 00:55.

Extreme Poster
    does your TV change to 480p resolution when you play those movies? if you're able to post a screen shot, we might be able to help better.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Some screens allow saving multiple screen settings depending on the input. Try adjusting the contrast settings there.

I think bravia's have this feature. Don't know what screen you're rocking but it couldn't hurt to try.

Outside of that, my PS3 used to do the same thing where blacks were extremely dark. i don't know what i did to fix it, but it only involved messing with settings for which i don't know what they are on PS4 - another member might know more.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    The first thing I have to ask is what is the model of your TV, also are your settings correct on both your TV and PS4. I have a Samsung Plasma, 5 year old model and when I attached my PS3 to it, I had to make adjustments with both settings. I didn't do it with my PS4 yet, but this thread is going to make me do it now.

PSN ID
    RohnnyDeppyJr
    http://youtu.be/WQgpwKaBuxI

Here's my problem.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    If you press the "display" or "info" button on your tv remote what resolution does it say it's playing blu ray in?

Super Elite
    Have u checked sound and screen settings, video output settings, resolution? And tv size?

Then settings, output 1080p/24 hz?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    During the playback of the blu-ray. Press the options button, Scroll right to the settings and press x, Here set display mode to full. Then scroll down to settings and press x, scroll down to video playback setting - try the output on automatic or off. I will try to make a video.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Extreme Poster
    we're not going to get anywhere like this lol. we really have no information so far.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    BR movies play just fine and look incredible for me. Hisense 50" LED LCD.
    How do you like the Hisense? I saw a 50 incher the other day for $600 at WM but didn't know **** about that brand so I bought an LG. Any noticeable input lag on that tv?

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    How do you like the Hisense? I saw a 50 incher the other day for $600 at WM but didn't know **** about that brand so I bought an LG. Any noticeable input lag on that tv?
    I'm loving it. I haven't had a single problem with it, and the picture quality is really good. I got this one from Wal Mart for $539 a few months ago.

PSN ID
    Dullisten
    I'll get a good laugh if this is an another dude trolling

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    I'm not trolling. I'm legitimately facing a problem. :/ That's why I posted here. And the bluray movies look like 480p

As far as I know, it could just be my PS4 having a reader problem. I did buy an extended product plan too, so I could just have it repaired. But in all seriousness, I'd rather see what I can do in my, or your, power to fix my problem.

To D3seeker:

How would I go about that? Just go on their website for support?

Please use multiquote button next time - Itachi
    Yeah. Just sign-in to the playstation website>get help>contact support

You might also play with the PS4s output and Blu-ray settings (I wouldn't know where these are since I've yet to attain my PS4 )

PS: I've seen this issue before and have never been able to tell how we've managed to fix it. It really is strange

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I know you don't want to move your PS4 down to the TV downstairs, but you should TEST the PS4 on the TV downstairs to see if there's a comparable difference.

You should be able to pull up display info. on your LCD monitor to see what the input feed into the monitor is. Maybe it's defaulting out.

The 1080p playback on my 64" Samsung TV is about as good as it can be (Can't tell the difference between it an PS3 or HD-DVD player 1080p playback and a bit better than my TiVo HD's 1080i and much better than streamed 1080p feeds.)

Got a make and model of the Monitor?

PSN ID
    RohnnyDeppyJr
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I know you don't want to move your PS4 down to the TV downstairs, but you should TEST the PS4 on the TV downstairs to see if there's a comparable difference.

You should be able to pull up display info. on your LCD monitor to see what the input feed into the monitor is. Maybe it's defaulting out.

The 1080p playback on my 64" Samsung TV is about as good as it can be (Can't tell the difference between it an PS3 or HD-DVD player 1080p playback and a bit better than my TiVo HD's 1080i and much better than streamed 1080p feeds.)

Got a make and model of the Monitor?
    1. You sir, said exactly what I needed to hear. I tested it out on the Samsung HD tv downstairs, and it played Blurays in 1080p!

2. I looked at the info, on my monitor, when I watched Blurays and it said 480p. When I play games it says 1080p. The screen is a Samsung SyncMaster 244T, and I'm connecting via HDMI -> DVI, but still gives me 1080p gaming.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    1. You sir, said exactly what I needed to hear. I tested it out on the Samsung HD tv downstairs, and it played Blurays in 1080p!

2. I looked at the info, on my monitor, when I watched Blurays and it said 480p. When I play games it says 1080p. The screen is a Samsung SyncMaster 244T, and I'm connecting via HDMI -> DVI, but still gives me 1080p gaming.
    That would have been good info to give in your first post. Bluray needs an hdcp compliant monitor and gaming doesn't. Going hdmi to dvi you are not getting the hdcp handshake and it's down scaling to 480p

Thread Information