Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Master Guru
    Sony is never in a rush. Remember, the next gen starts when Sony says so.

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Sony is never in a rush.
    That's just faith speaking.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    it's been a bad day so i can be mis-interpreting, but is the OP blaming sony for MS problems?

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by billison View Post
    Lets start with a disclaimer.

This is not a one is better thread and this is all just theory.

the point of this is to spawn a fun conversation.

If you are a older gamer you remember the launch of the xbox 360. It launched almost at a random time and was the first next gen console out. At the time the ps2 was in it's prime and the original xbox "halo box" was doing decent. It's widely thought that microsoft rushed the launch of the console so they could get the lead in sales, it seems to of been a solid plan as the ps3 took awhile to catch up from the year and a half head start. The problem the xbox faced right from launch till nearly the end of it's life was faulty hardware. launch consoles were burning up and melting and most had to be recalled. Soon after that we started seeing the red ring of death that plagued most of the consoles. Several revisions to the console were made to aid the overheating problems, stronger fans, larger cooling, motherboard changes, and finally a total redesign (360 slim) that seamed to finally fix the issue.

With all of that said, does it seem like sony released the ps4 early to prompt ms to do the same in hopes they would have yet another generation of hardware woes? The already failing xbox1's seem to possibly be a tell tale sign.

thoughts?
    i'm sure both sony and ms try to undermine one another any way they can legally. releasing a console early is part of the strategy to undermine the other one or that can mean to disrupt the competition's plan and if that forces them to release earlier, it's a strategic defeat for the competition.

point is though, ms did that to sony and ms still suffered more, because they didn't do a good job with their quality control. sony had issues of their own, had nothing to do with xbox 360 coming out earlier. they just messed up with the ps3's overall focus and design until later into the generation. but still the core foundation was messed up with their choice for the hardware parts they chose to put in.

anyway, i still expect sony to do better hardware wise this generation because they're just better at it. but surprisingly the launch issues still happened to both consoles. weird, i would have never expected the ps4 to have any issues. could've bet money on it.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by billison View Post
    Lets start with a disclaimer.

This is not a one is better thread and this is all just theory.

the point of this is to spawn a fun conversation.

If you are a older gamer you remember the launch of the xbox 360. It launched almost at a random time and was the first next gen console out. At the time the ps2 was in it's prime and the original xbox "halo box" was doing decent. It's widely thought that microsoft rushed the launch of the console so they could get the lead in sales, it seems to of been a solid plan as the ps3 took awhile to catch up from the year and a half head start. The problem the xbox faced right from launch till nearly the end of it's life was faulty hardware. launch consoles were burning up and melting and most had to be recalled. Soon after that we started seeing the red ring of death that plagued most of the consoles. Several revisions to the console were made to aid the overheating problems, stronger fans, larger cooling, motherboard changes, and finally a total redesign (360 slim) that seamed to finally fix the issue.

With all of that said, does it seem like sony released the ps4 early to prompt ms to do the same in hopes they would have yet another generation of hardware woes? The already failing xbox1's seem to possibly be a tell tale sign.

thoughts?
    Old Gamer - That's when you remember Pong (Sorry F34R)

360 Launched at a Random Time? And Original Xbox was doing decent. I don't think so, the Original Xbox was flopping, but they had figured a number of things out in their first venture and wanted to go ahead and move on before Sony to get that next gen out on the market. Good move strategically.

The 360 did have thermal issues especially early on, resulting in HW failure. The PS3 had some to a lesser extent on the early units but it showed up much later w/ YLOD.

Where these because of rushing things to market. I don't think so, if they waited another year or two they would have gone with higher performing processors (faster speed grades) but probably an effective equivalent heat dissipation and faced the same issues. The market demands this.

The later revisions reduction in power by moving to smaller process nodes made things more reliable (not stronger fans, larger cooling, changes in MoBo designs - the MoBo changes were more of an effect of other Chip integration and process node changes.) Keep in mind, these changes are made well after the spec's are fixed and not going to change. So either these improvements wouldn't be there by waiting, or you'd have a consoles based on older tech as the world has moved forward.

I think MS actually held on to the 360 as long as they could. 8yrs between a console release is actually pretty damn good. I don't think Sony pushed MS in to doing so. If anything Sony may have come out earlier than they'd like to (albeit in good fashion) on the PS4 to make sure they weren't behind the curve.

Keep in mind rumors of the Durango (XB1) hit before Orbis (PS4) that said, both had at least a couple years of R&D already under their belts on these platforms prior to their code names being leaked over a year ago.

Actually to me, neither feels rushed, and they both have had fairly low failure rates so far. The biggest difference is media and internet reaction today is much more extreme than what it was 7-8yrs ago. And FUD flies higher and faster now.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    billison
    You guys are cracking me up with the "older gamer" part. Maybe I should have said "not young"lol.

its still too early to really tell how either console will do yet " hardware wise",

i did not realize the original xbox did as poorly as you guys claim , this was before I kept crack of suck things. I personally just called it the halo box because there didn't seem to be much past that.

The truth is, we'll never really know what was or was not rushed unless the companies choose to share that info ( doubtful) .

This was simply to spawn a conversation. So here we are. Enjoy.
    I'm no hero, never was, never will be.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    billison
    Not blaming, implying that sony had a plan.

Extreme Poster
    we may not know what's going to happen but we can guess that Sony's likely going to have a better hardware.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    billison
    Imo it's safe to assume a hardware company will do a good job making hardware.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Sony is never in a rush. Remember, the next gen starts when Sony says so.
    lol Thats classic. As for the topic both consoles seem to have very low failure rates so far so the hardware outlook is good.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 12-02-2013 at 19:08.

Thread Information