Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    Hmm looking at tear downs, the cooling and heat pipe system could potentially work better in the horizontal and be impaired some what when vertical....
    Maybe a slight improvement in a non-forced air solution, but this is a forced air solution and would have no notable difference in orientation. The whole premise of orientation being better one way or the other would be relatively static air but movement caused because hot air rising (very very very slow movement.) Heat dissipates through metal exactly the same no mater the orientation but parts of the heat sink will be hotter the further down the airflow line it is as it's having hotter air flowing over it. Air flow over the heat sink fins is what is the major removal of thermal energy from the system and at even the low end fan speed would be such a higher factor than hot air rising to make it negligible.

The problem described by the OP actually sounds like a fan issue. Depending on the failure, it could be that orientation would cause it to show up quicker, but the failure still would have occurred regardless of the orientation.

That said, If I were one that wanted to orient the PS4 vertically, I'd have absolutely no fear of using the stand.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Maybe a slight improvement in a non-forced air solution, but this is a forced air solution and would have no notable difference in orientation. The whole premise of orientation being better one way or the other would be relatively static air but movement caused because hot air rising (very very very slow movement.) Heat dissipates through metal exactly the same no mater the orientation but parts of the heat sink will be hotter the further down the airflow line it is as it's having hotter air flowing over it. Air flow over the heat sink fins is what is the major removal of thermal energy from the system and at even the low end fan speed would be such a higher factor than hot air rising to make it negligible.

The problem described by the OP actually sounds like a fan issue. Depending on the failure, it could be that orientation would cause it to show up quicker, but the failure still would have occurred regardless of the orientation.

That said, If I were one that wanted to orient the PS4 vertically, I'd have absolutely no fear of using the stand.
    Makes sense. Are there any actual reported issues relating to the vertical stand being the cause of overheat? Probably not. In any case, it's good to know these things.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post

Yes that is all well and good but I didn't say anything about the air flow being constricted :P I was more alluding to the fluid inside the heat pipes not being able to perform as well as it could if the ps4 was horizontal. But yeah your probably right about it being more about the fan than anything else.

I also have the vertical stand, more out of necessity than anything else. I did notice a bit of a louder fan when last playing shadow fall, but it was a bit warm over the weekend.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    Yes that is all well and good but I didn't say anything about the air flow being constricted :P I was more alluding to the fluid inside the heat pipes not being able to perform as well as it could if the ps4 was horizontal. But yeah your probably right about it being more about the fan than anything else.

I also have the vertical stand, more out of necessity than anything else. I did notice a bit of a louder fan when last playing shadow fall, but it was a bit warm over the weekend.
    Typically there's no fluid in the heat distribution pipes - Even when there is fluid it's filled to capacity (no air) and orientation doesn't make a difference. It's typically just copper piping, and it's meant to be able to distribute the heat more efficiently. Copper is a much better conductor of heat than Aluminum. But Aluminum is cheap. And you need a lot of surface area to radiate the heat out. However the further you're away from the heat source on a fin the less effective you become. So they use the heat pipe within to spread it to the parts of the fins that are farther away (in this particular case, it's also used for more even distribution in some systems.)

Anyway, it's still as I said, the orientation of it has nothing to do with the distribution of heat within the metals itself. It would only make a very slight difference in the amount even in a static air system (no fans) because there is a natural rise in air as it's heated from the radiation of heat from the fins. Not much of a difference for a fanless system and no measurable difference in a forced air system which this is.

This has nothing to do with whether or not the air flow is constricted. The other comments where direct to the OP :P

Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    Makes sense. Are there any actual reported issues relating to the vertical stand being the cause of overheat? Probably not. In any case, it's good to know these things.
    This is the only one I had read and I laughed when I initially read it as there's no significant restriction in air flow, and based on reading it it did sound like it was likely a fan related issue.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 12-04-2013 at 16:00.

Thread Information