Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Warning about the vertical stand

Not posted here in a while but thought I would post a warning about the PS4 for you guys, as I didn't see anything about this when I had a quick search (apologies if I have missed a previous post about this).

Don't buy the Sony vertical stand.

I really wanted to have my PS4 upright so bought Sony's stand. What I didn't realise was it almost completely blocks off all the intake vents on 1 side.

With it attached my PS4 has a lot of fan sound when playing any games and gets pretty toasty after only 20 mins a game play. Turned it sideways with the stand still on (slightly hanging off the end of the desk I have it on) and it was still loud and hot. Took it off and left the PS4 flat and it is so much quieter and cooler.

Why the hell Sony even released this stand and didn't just say, "keep it flat, it can't be kept vertical" is beyond me.

So yeah... avoid it like the plague just a waste of money and can't be good for your nice new console.
    Oh its bad luck to be you, A chosen one of many isn't new,
    When you think your full of luck, In the b*llocks you'll be struck, Oh its bad luck to be you, Diddelly dooooo.....
    Kinda sums up life, don't ya think?
    PS3 This is living PSN ID = Netherdragon

Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Had no problems so far, the PS4 is quiet

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

3. Likes chriharr likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Now I agree with you that it should stay horizontal, and you've obviously proved that the stand has bad airflow, but it does have airflow built in to the stand.
    PS4Stand_Angle.jpg

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    I have yet to set any console vertically. Horizontal always.

6. Likes bizarro13, TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    Now I agree with you that it should stay horizontal, and you've obviously proved that the stand has bad airflow, but it does have airflow built in to the stand.
    PS4Stand_Angle.jpg

It might be that my PS4 just isn't as well put together as some of the others and can't dissipate the heat as well as it should with the reduced airflow the stand gives. I know I'm not the only one that has had issues with loud fans (check Youtube for loud PS4 fans, there a a few video's showing this and mine was just a loud as what's shown in some of those video's before I removed the stand).

If anyone here is using the stand and its working fine on their machine then fair play. All I know if I'm not doing anything that could potentially lower the lifespan of my beautiful new console, so that stand is going nowhere near my PS4 again.
    When you think your full of luck, In the b*llocks you'll be struck, Oh its bad luck to be you, Diddelly dooooo.....

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    mine is quite quiet most of the time. I'll keep this in mind and check more often though.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    Same here.

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    i use mine vertical without a stand. no issues here.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by netherdragon View Post
    It might be that my PS4 just isn't as well put together as some of the others and can't dissipate the heat as well as it should with the reduced airflow the stand gives. I know I'm not the only one that has had issues with loud fans (check Youtube for loud PS4 fans, there a a few video's showing this and mine was just a loud as what's shown in some of those video's before I removed the stand).

If anyone here is using the stand and its working fine on their machine then fair play. All I know if I'm not doing anything that could potentially lower the lifespan of my beautiful new console, so that stand is going nowhere near my PS4 again.

Seriously I would ask Sony for a new one.
    If it has one problem, even a small one, then it may just have more that could turn up later
    I know I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that it doesn't do something it's supposed to.
    I look at it if the problem is big enough for Sony to take back, then you probably should return it.
    And since the console starts to act up and get very loud and hot when it's up on end, they will have to give you a new one.
    The PS4 was designed for vertical use. Every PS4 has do be able to do this, and if one can't then it's defective and can be returned.
    I know it works when you use it horizontal but how long before it gets loud no matter what direction it's in?
    They are supposed to be so quiet. Mine is only noticeable when the drive spins a disc, even that is quiet compared to most devices.
    I suggest anyone that has issues of any kind to call Sony for a replacement. I know I would rather have be safe than sorry, even if I had to wait 2 weeks to get it back.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I've always heard that the PS3 get better cooling if it's vertical. I've heard that mainly from tech guys who fix YLOD. I guess the PS4 is different. I have ordered a vertical stand just because I thought it would be better to have it standing. I have mine standing without a vertical stand now and it almost sounds like a hair dryer when i play KZ. I thought this was normal since my computer also is quite loud when playing a demanding game. I really don't hope that I've got a faulty unit. It will take several weeks, if I'm lucky, to get it fixed or replaced. I'll try to put my PS4 horizontal and see if there's any difference.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Libra-75 View Post
    I've always heard that the PS3 get better cooling if it's vertical. I've heard that mainly from tech guys who fix YLOD. I guess the PS4 is different. I have ordered a vertical stand just because I thought it would be better to have it standing. I have mine standing without a vertical stand now and it almost sounds like a hair dryer when i play KZ. I thought this was normal since my computer also is quite loud when playing a demanding game. I really don't hope that I've got a faulty unit. It will take several weeks, if I'm lucky, to get it fixed or replaced. I'll try to put my PS4 horizontal and see if there's any difference.
    Let me know how you get on. I have mine on the vertical stand and I only just got Killzone about half an hour ago, I hadn't played anything prior to getting this. I'll post back here after I give it a spin and see how it sounds.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Let me know how you get on. I have mine on the vertical stand and I only just got Killzone about half an hour ago, I hadn't played anything prior to getting this. I'll post back here after I give it a spin and see how it sounds.
    I tried playing KZ with my PS4 horizontal and the sound level was way lower. About the same as my PS3 slim. There's actually vents along that whole side of the PS4, no wonder it was getting loud when such a big part of the cooling solution was blocked. I actually didn't notice those vents until now. I really hope the vertical stand doesn't block those vents completely.

Elite Guru
    Well I played Killzone for a couple hours and although it sounded louder than I'd have thought it would, it wasn't loud enough to annoy me or worry me. I have no space to try it horizontal so I guess I'll just never know how quiet it is that way.

Apprentice

mine is vertical with the sony stand, seems fine to me.

PSN ID
    ThePsHolo
    I'm Glad I've found this thread. the stand I have has no air vents at all and when I checked my PS4 I noticed the intake/outlet air vents... thanks for this. I won't be using my stand now.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=313487&dateline=13860  12546

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    i have the vertical stand and had my PS4 on for 4 hours last night... it didnt even get hot, i put my hand on the back of it and it barely even felt warm

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    The whole notion has never seemed like a good one to me.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    I originally went horizontal but I didn't like how the protruding front of the PS4 stuck out of the entertainment unit like it melted or something... so I went out bought the vertical stand and it looks clean and tidy now and it's not noticeable which I like.

PS4 gets hot that's normal... PS3 back in the day was a 2,000 watt electric heater in comparison... hot means nothing.. means it's working some people just worry too much.. it's a 250watt computer it's gonna get hot... it has a built in power supply too which generates probably the most overall heat to the system... have you ever unplugged your laptop just because the power brick was getting hot... probably not unless it was on fire.

there's so many intake vents on the system it doesn't matter where the air is being pulled from as long as air can come in... stand has nice raised vents perfect for sucking in cool air.

It's summer in Australia right now weather is like 100 degrees F or more most days, I play in an air conditioned house....PS4 was played the other day without air conditioning it was fine.... hot as hell but nothing concerning... it would shut down if it got too hot

enjoy your system horizontal or vertical
    Last edited by chriharr; 12-03-2013 at 00:14.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

21. Likes pojo1806, PhillyPhreak, EHY893 likes this post
    Superior Member
    Well my PS4 started getting really loud again even without the stand and being horizontal still, so I have done some comparison with both of my house mates PS4's and my next door neighbour's. I can safely say my console is a lot louder then theirs.

I called Sony support and explained what was going on and I now have a replacement turning up on Friday. Just a straight swap over at my door with a courier. Means I have to re-install some stuff and make sure I de-activate my content on the old box but I couldn't be happier with how Sony is handling this. So glad I don't have to send it away or anything.

Anyone saying their PS4 is pretty loud when doing anything (even non taxing stuff) and that's normal, may want to reconsider. The Sony support guy listened to the sound mine was making over the phone and offered a replacement straight away.

Sony's UK support rules with console launches.

23. Likes TAZ427, Malt, PhillyPhreak, EHY893 likes this post
    Apprentice
    Your PS4 will no doubt dye quicker with a stand

PSN ID
    Dullisten
    Yeah I wouldn't recommend it. Now the ps3 is a different machine than ps4 but i ruined 2 ps3's that way. Had em sideways and once it fell down, making a huge scratch on the game inside and ruining the BR-laser inside. 2nd time too much dust went it cos of the air holes being on top and that ruined the machine.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by netherdragon View Post
    Not posted here in a while but thought I would post a warning about the PS4 for you guys, as I didn't see anything about this when I had a quick search (apologies if I have missed a previous post about this).

Don't buy the Sony vertical stand.

I really wanted to have my PS4 upright so bought Sony's stand. What I didn't realise was it almost completely blocks off all the intake vents on 1 side.

With it attached my PS4 has a lot of fan sound when playing any games and gets pretty toasty after only 20 mins a game play. Turned it sideways with the stand still on (slightly hanging off the end of the desk I have it on) and it was still loud and hot. Took it off and left the PS4 flat and it is so much quieter and cooler.

Why the hell Sony even released this stand and didn't just say, "keep it flat, it can't be kept vertical" is beyond me.

So yeah... avoid it like the plague just a waste of money and can't be good for your nice new console.
    Prerelease I read some gaming site story basically rehashing a lot of Sony's PS4 information and it went something like "Sony recommends operating the PS4 in horizontal position, though it can operate vertically with an option stand." I thought that was curious. I thought it probably had something to do with weight and tipping over. Off and on I used my PS3 in vertical position but it didn't need a stand, nor do Sony make one, to keep stable in vertical position. My PS4 is set up horizontally and I plan to leave it that way. I suspect at room temperature -- around 75 deg. F, 24 deg. C -- and otherwise normal operating conditions, on the stand in vertical position, the PS4 operating heat remains within spec. But of course "within spec" doesn't mean it won't run the fans at high speed most of the time to keep the internal temperature "within spec."

Dedicated Member
    Hmm looking at tear downs, the cooling and heat pipe system could potentially work better in the horizontal and be impaired some what when vertical....

Elite Guru
    Been using my system with the stand since I hooked it up. Killzone raises the sound of the fan a little bit but not constantly. It goes up and down, but mostly is quiet enough. I have not gamed for more than 2 hours at a time on it though.

Apprentice

Played AC4 last night for 5 hours solid, PS4 using the stand, got warm at the back of the PS4 but no sound at all, almost silent.

Thread Information