NFS Rivals - do I don't I

Ok so I've loved pretty much every NFS, I love the cheesey arcade racing feeling they have. But Most Wanted last year was fun for about a day for me, and one of my major gripes with it was the lack of progression. There just didn't seem any point in completing more races (IMO). I want a racing game for the PS4 and obviously this is the only option currently but I don't want to buy it at the price it is and play it only for a few days.

There doesn't seem to actually be any progression in this game, or am I wrong? It doesn't even seem to have a list of 'bosses' to beat. Just gain more points.. unlock more cars.. and to me that isn't enough to want me to progress.

Am I wrong? Is there actual careers for racers and cops? (Like Hot Pursuit) Should I disregard last years mediocre game?

Appreciate any advice

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Well I like yourself was in two minds. Just to add I played last year's most wanted and turned it off after half hour for being bored. My last nfs which I enjoyed was the original most wanted on my launch 360.

Rivals doesn't have a serious career but what it does do is fully interacts with the online mode and chases can be on anywhere and anytime which has made it fun for the few hours ive played. It also looks good .

You have chapters for each faction cop and racer. Currently on chapter 2 of each where you work your way up and more is demanded from you.

I need to play more and will today but if you enjoyed the original most wanted and hot pursuit to an extent this kind of meets in the middle. To keep up with the rest you need to upgrade what you have so it does push you on to play.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response, glad to have someone give their opinion who was in the same kinda mind. So, say for someone who has no interest in playing the game online, would you still recommend it?

If I wanted to turn off multiplayer is that possible? I just want a complete single player experience. The chapter thing sounds like it could hold my attention, if the races are still fun. How difficult is the game? Standard NFS? (Progressively harder but never frustrating)

Thanks again

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Quote Originally Posted by benji89 View Post
    Thanks for the response, glad to have someone give their opinion who was in the same kinda mind. So, say for someone who has no interest in playing the game online, would you still recommend it?

If I wanted to turn off multiplayer is that possible? I just want a complete single player experience. The chapter thing sounds like it could hold my attention, if the races are still fun. How difficult is the game? Standard NFS? (Progressively harder but never frustrating)

Thanks again
    You're welcome.. You can make your game lobby private which meams nobody can join..if people are in your game you just go about your races as normal anyway whilsg others are racing and you see people challenging each other with cops after them it adds to the game.

There is a single player though. Speed cameras. Time trials and races but I haven't played too much. It isn't too difficult, same old NFS made for fun. Many knock the series but forget what NFS is about.

I like when you earn points you need to earn multipliers and need to return to hideout so you can bank them. Dynamic weather is very good.

PSN ID
    JohnB405
    Is there anyway to play this game with a friend who sitting next to you and not online?

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_gooner View Post
    You're welcome.. You can make your game lobby private which meams nobody can join..if people are in your game you just go about your races as normal anyway whilsg others are racing and you see people challenging each other with cops after them it adds to the game.

There is a single player though. Speed cameras. Time trials and races but I haven't played too much. It isn't too difficult, same old NFS made for fun. Many knock the series but forget what NFS is about.

I like when you earn points you need to earn multipliers and need to return to hideout so you can bank them. Dynamic weather is very good.
    Well..it actually sounds pretty good. Sounds like there is more purpose in racing this time like in HP, I'm also assuming the races themselves feel more like HP rather than MW. Thanks for all your advice

Apprentice
    Does this game have online multiplayer trophies?

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MLG221 View Post
    Does this game have online multiplayer trophies?
    a few. like play with a friend and stuff.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Well, I've only played NFS Rivals a few times for a couple of hours at a time, and....it's ok.

I was just in a session where there was some guy in a Lambo running around nuking cop cars. He would turn on his shock thing run into ppl 3 times and they would be dead.

I dunno if I need to progress more...but it's quite annoying. I mean....the game is killer fun when there like 3 cops chasing a racer and we're all working together to get him, but this guy wasn't afraid of any cops. He was just running around killing them. Hit me 3 times with the shock thing and I was dead.

I'm also using the Mercedes at the beginning of the game which has more stability or is heavier or whatever you want to call it than any of the cars I have by far. It's rating is like a 10.5 or something while the others have 8's.

So, I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do to counter a racer killing me in 3 hits.

Sorta unbalanced.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    Well, I've only played NFS Rivals a few times for a couple of hours at a time, and....it's ok.

I was just in a session where there was some guy in a Lambo running around nuking cop cars. He would turn on his shock thing run into ppl 3 times and they would be dead.

I dunno if I need to progress more...but it's quite annoying. I mean....the game is killer fun when there like 3 cops chasing a racer and we're all working together to get him, but this guy wasn't afraid of any cops. He was just running around killing them. Hit me 3 times with the shock thing and I was dead.

I'm also using the Mercedes at the beginning of the game which has more stability or is heavier or whatever you want to call it than any of the cars I have by far. It's rating is like a 10.5 or something while the others have 8's.

So, I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do to counter a racer killing me in 3 hits.

Sorta unbalanced.
    Sounds like he's using one of the special abilities as well.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    I like the gameplay and the online presence, the various goals are varied enough that I haven't gotten bored with them (a la GTA). I do wish the customization was much fuller, closer to the Underground games. I love customization in my games. And those NPC cops can be annoyingly-persistent. Having the most fun on my PS4 with this and Resogun so far.

Shut up and play games

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Been disconnected several times today. And when I get disconnected I loose all the SP in earned in that session. Really annoying...

PSN ID
    Dullisten
    Maybe u should wait out for this one: http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-crew

PSN ID
    siftinglurker88
    really enjoying this game. It is a bit anouying when ya get disconected but thats the only downside of the game for me.

PSN ID
    JohnB405
    Is there no way for me to play this game split screen with a friend next to me?

PSN ID
    Dullisten
    Nfs hasn't had split-screen for the past 3 titles what makes u think they would change now. EA sucks!!!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica
    You said you enjoy the arcadey, cheesey feel so my opinion won't really matter
    As that was the only title I didn't actually want at all due to that reason.
    I really want a driving game, I'm pumped for Gran Turismo next year, something with real progression and ambition.
    DriveClub is my choice when it arrives.
    But NFS just hasn't interested me for years, the last one I enjoyed thoroughly was MW on PS2.
    Plus this more than likely isn't the case but every video I've seen of Rivals, is a supercar powering down a motorway. No city or town that i've seen so far
    Just fast cars, cop cars, rain and long stretches of road.

Nothing really sold me here, which is surprising as I'm desperate for a driving title and its the only one on the market yet.

PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

PSN ID
    JohnB405
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheDuck View Post
    Nfs hasn't had split-screen for the past 3 titles what makes u think they would change now. EA sucks!!!
    Never thought they would change. I haven't played the last three titles, which is why I asked the question. and yes, EA sucks!

So I went ahead and bought it..and I can't stop playing it. Seriously biggest surprise of the year for me, great game and I'll be playing it for a long time. For me I don't use the online portion at all, I just stick to private games and its still tonnes of fun

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Quote Originally Posted by benji89 View Post
    So I went ahead and bought it..and I can't stop playing it. Seriously biggest surprise of the year for me, great game and I'll be playing it for a long time. For me I don't use the online portion at all, I just stick to private games and its still tonnes of fun
    Your missing half the fun then.. nothing can compare to a user controlled car! AI cars are too easy to catch.. and a room with 3 real cops and 3 real racers gets crazy!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks to Spyrde for the sig/avy

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Joker View Post
    Your missing half the fun then.. nothing can compare to a user controlled car! AI cars are too easy to catch.. and a room with 3 real cops and 3 real racers gets crazy!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I don't doubt you for a minute! Unfortunately I'm the kinda gamer who plays to relax, rather than the edge of the seat thrill seeker gamer. Every now and then I'll get the urge for that and I may switch it to online but I'll wait for the urge...

Forum Sage
    I would recommend it! It's been the main game I've been playing the PS4. Yesterday, after having spend an hour or so, I lost about 180,000 SP due to cops! I got so annoyed at that.

Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    I would recommend it! It's been the main game I've been playing the PS4. Yesterday, after having spend an hour or so, I lost about 180,000 SP due to cops! I got so annoyed at that.
    I've completed all the cop lists, only on chapter 4-ish of the racers. I assume when it says to collect a certain amount of SP you can bank it if you don't want to risk getting busted? I know it is hella fun getting that multiplier up but I can imagine it getting frustrating towards the end

Actually there is one thing I absolutely detest about this game...even playing single player you can't pause!!! In no way is that a step forward... I rarely get an opportunity to sit down and play without interruptions, being unable to pause is just silly. But that is literally the one and only fault I can find with the game

Thread Information