Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 515 ... LastLast
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    Good stuff.
    It is easy to do PR when you don't have to make $#@! up.

My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

2. Likes Serinous likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    lol lefein, you need a vacay

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    The natural order of the console industry has been restored. Sony would have steamrolled last gen too if they hadn't gotten all bat$#@! crazy with the tech and price etc. I don't see this slowing down with Sony's ever evolving gaming ecosystem, solid software support and obvious 3rd party love.

Driveclub Team A Head
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    It is easy to do PR when you don't have to make $#@! up.

What you mean like the PR for Xbox in the UK mentioned in the latest RDGH podcast, apparently the weight has shifted wholly in Xbox's favour with the release of Titanfall still
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    What you mean like the PR for Xbox in the UK mentioned in the latest RDGH podcast, apparently the weight has shifted wholly in Xbox's favour with the release of Titanfall still
    lol people staill talkin about Titanfall?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The natural order of the console industry has been restored. Sony would have steamrolled last gen too if they hadn't gotten all bat$#@! crazy with the tech and price etc. I don't see this slowing down with Sony's ever evolving gaming ecosystem, solid software support and obvious 3rd party love.
    The natural order of the console industry has been restored? Ha! That's based on an opinion, not fact. The natural order goes on a generation by generation basis. When people say "return of the king" in reference to Sony and the PS4, I just roll my eyes. There is no king. If we base it on past success, then Nintendo was the return of the king last gen with it's Wii console sales. After all.... Nintendo single-handily saved the console business almost a decade before Sony even entered the game.

Anyways... congrats to Sony turning things around from last gen.

8. Likes Captncoke49, TidalPhoenix likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Wii was an embarrassment and PS2 was sort of the king considering it outsold everything 4:1. Nintendo had little competition back in the day but they did save the industry. and then they $#@!ed it up again in 2006 XD

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    Wii was an embarrassment and PS2 was sort of the king considering it outsold everything 4:1. Nintendo had little competition back in the day but they did save the industry. and then they $#@!ed it up again in 2006 XD
    Little competition? They had Atari and Sega selling consoles against the NES. It was a 3 console race (same as today) with Mattel and Coleco leaving the market just as the NES was rising.

Driveclub Team A Head
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    lol people staill talkin about Titanfall?
    This guy was

Like I said he believes that it has now shifted focus more towards the Xbox One and it's going to overtake the PS4 very soon, wonder how he is feeling now he has seen June's NPD!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    The natural order of the console industry has been restored? Ha! That's based on an opinion, not fact. The natural order goes on a generation by generation basis. When people say "return of the king" in reference to Sony and the PS4, I just roll my eyes. There is no king. If we base it on past success, then Nintendo was the return of the king last gen with it's Wii console sales. After all.... Nintendo single-handily saved the console business almost a decade before Sony even entered the game.

Anyways... congrats to Sony turning things around from last gen.

I wasn't really talking about sales but rather offering the overall better experience/popularity/impact via general tech and software support. But even if we look at sales, AFAIK PS outsold all consoles relased in the 90s, PS2 outsold all of its peers and IIRC PS3 came in second after Wii in its generation and now PS4 is the fastest selling console ever and is a few leaps ahead of the competition in mindshare, popularity, tech and infrastructure. Nintendo got lucky with Wii, as evident by the lackluster Wii U sales. So, there are a few facts in there actually and your point just backs up what I said.

Outside of sales; I'm grateful that Ninty saved the gaming industry decades ago but a company can't ride on previous achievements. . A million iterations of Mario and his friends reveals a company playing it super safe, like ole Bilbo Baggins who didn't want to leave the comfy confines of the Shire to get adventurous.

PS1 had the classics that shaped what we play today including Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7 etc etc. PS2's era speaks for itself in terms of sales, software, 3rd party support and the fact it was still selling 8 years into the subsequent generation. The PS3 struggled at first but ended the generation with plenty of games and huge IPs (e.g TLOU ) and Sony followed up by learning from all mistakes and going back to the PS1 philosophy which has served them very well with the PS4. MS got lucky with the 360 which is evident by the way they completely fell out of touch with their consumers and released the backpeddling PR cluster$#@! that was XBO. However, MS clearly left a legacy with it's online functionality and general community building infrastructure and did lots for the shooting genre among other achievements. It did well ast gen and kept ahead of Sony till then end. Got lazy at the end though, big time.

Edit: Relax, this is just my opinion.
    Last edited by Ghost; 07-19-2014 at 13:24.

Forum Overseer
    Little competition? They had Atari and Sega selling consoles against the NES. It was a 3 console race (same as today) with Mattel and Coleco leaving the market just as the NES was rising.
    and we all know how they were doing at that point. SNES was a monopoly.

Forum Guru
    Its good to see Sony taking the crown of console king this generation. All that listening to customer really does pay off.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    No...not a three console race like today. Not even close. NES blew everything else away.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    and we all know how they were doing at that point. SNES was a monopoly.
    Monopoly? Nah....Sega Genesis did very well.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    No...not a three console race like today. Not even close. NES blew everything else away.

Monopoly? Nah....Sega Genesis did very well.
    I didn't say it was as competitive as today, but it was a 3 horse race like it is today. Sega was #2 and Atari was #3.

As for Sega Genesis... you are right. It actually had the lead for a long time and then the SNES went on to pass it. SEGA''s 40 million Vs about 49 million sold for the SNES.

I didn't say it was as competitive as today, but it was a 3 horse race like it is today. Sega was #2 and Atari was #3.
    True, but that goes back to what Omar said about there being little competition for the NES. Didn't say no competition.

Anyway....enough mincing words.

Forum Overseer
    bottom line is, we should care about the success. while i was ok with the sales PS3 had, the adverse effects it had in the beginning of the generation wasn't fun. that meant less games for me to experience. that sucks.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    The success of a console is a bit of a double edged sword imo. If a console is immensely successful vs the competition there doesn't seem to be a need to create new ips and healthy plethora of games because they know they don't have to pull out all stops in the game department because they have the customer support. I believe that was one of the main reason we saw so many great franchises and exclusives from Sony because they were playing catch up but still had a successful system. Sales competition is only a good thing for everyone. All companies are trying to out do one another. With a large lead you have the ability to coast a bit. Hopefully Sony continues what they did last gen.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

20. Likes TidalPhoenix likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    The success of a console is a bit of a double edged sword imo. If a console is immensely successful vs the competition there doesn't seem to be a need to create new ips and healthy plethora of games because they know they don't have to pull out all stops in the game department because they have the customer support. I believe that was one of the main reason we saw so many great franchises and exclusives from Sony because they were playing catch up but still had a successful system. Sales competition is only a good thing for everyone. All companies are trying to out do one another. With a large lead you have the ability to coast a bit. Hopefully Sony continues what they did last gen.
    Sony is ahead this generation and they have more new ip's announced than the closest competitor

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Rubbish, PS2 era was total domination and there were plenty of new IPs. Why? Because the huge unified install base meant game developers could take more risks, because they didn't have to worry about finding the money for porting and optimisation costs on multiple platforms for simultaneous software launches.

They would make the PS2 version first, then port if they felt like it. They made enough money from the PS2 versions to, cover dev costs, port costs and reinvestment into new game ideas/IPs.

What you are thinking of is first party IPs, but even then during PS1 and PS2 domination, sony produced a lot of first party new IPs. This accelerated during PS3 but they had also acquired more studios by then. PS4 will be just as productive even if It dominates 9:1 install base ratio.

Microsoft on the other hand, practically stopped producing new First party IPs by 2010. they just made an annual release of halo, gears and forza. Rinse and repeat. this is more down to their corporate attitude, rather than their domination of the market [only dominated UK and US].
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

23. Likes TAZ427, PS4freak likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    Microsoft on the other hand, practically stopped producing new First party IPs by 2010. they just made an annual release of halo, gears and forza. Rinse and repeat. this is more down to their corporate attitude, rather than their domination of the market [only dominated UK and US].
    Yeah maybe Sony is more...attuned? to game development compared to MS due to the Xbox being a much smaller division in relation to the rest of the company. For Sony, the games division has been at times the only profitable division so they are potentially more willing to invest more and try to continue the success. While MS basically turn a massive profit no matter what happens with Xbox. Just a thought.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    Rubbish, PS2 era was total domination and there were plenty of new IPs. Why? Because the huge unified install base meant game developers could take more risks, because they didn't have to worry about finding the money for porting and optimisation costs on multiple platforms for simultaneous software launches.

They would make the PS2 version first, then port if they felt like it. They made enough money from the PS2 versions to, cover dev costs, port costs and reinvestment into new game ideas/IPs.

What you are thinking of is first party IPs, but even then during PS1 and PS2 domination, sony produced a lot of first party new IPs. This accelerated during PS3 but they had also acquired more studios by then. PS4 will be just as productive even if It dominates 9:1 install base ratio.

You make a very fair point here. I was mostly referring to 1st party exclusive. As for taking more risk I completely agree. If you are behind you don't want to put out a bunch of games that may not sell well and only be a niche title. Although Sony did it last gen and it played out well. Looking back on the PS2 days, it was sheer dominance and there was a healthy catalogue of exclusives. Only difference now is their financial situation isn't nearly as favorable as it was back then. But hey, many said they were done after the PS3 released. Even in a $#@! economical place they put out tons of exclusives and all studios stayed busy. So I'm not really worried.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Driveclub Team A Head
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Well we all pretty much know already now but 10 million units SOLD, not shipped, SOLD!

Well done Sony now Microsoft really has got some catching up to do!

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Well we all pretty much know already now but 10 million units SOLD, not shipped, SOLD! Well done Sony now Microsoft really has got some catching up to do!
    How much catching up? I have no idea how well Xbone is doing since i never see numbers. All i know is PS4 is doing better.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    How much catching up? I have no idea how well Xbone is doing since i never see numbers. All i know is PS4 is doing better.
    I could be wrong but 4.7million?

PS4 is over 2:1.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I could be wrong but 4.7million?

PS4 is over 2:1.
    Over double!! O__O WOW!

Thread Information