Latest PSU headlines:

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style

Reviewing multiplayer and campaign separately.

I was wondering if PSU would ever review games that have both multiplayer and single player, but to review them separately? Still having the written reviews but having the scores separate. It wouldn't be much of a change, but for people like me that buy Battlefield 4 or other people that buy Call of Duty, just for the multiplayer, I think this would be a good change in review style. It wouldn't be a huge change, just a minor change.

I just like to read the review and ignore the scores. Many other people like to look at the scores and to see the pluses and minuses within those scores. A game could have a multiplayer rating of 8.5, but a campaign rating of 7.0.

I don't know, I was thinking about this a few minutes ago since I read about it in another thread.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 12-04-2013 at 18:37.

2. Likes Julz likes this post
    PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    I'm new here. I'm not stating anything official for PSU. I'm stating my opinion.

When I look at a game, I look at it as the sum of its whole. The campaign is just as important to me as the multiplayer. That includes games like Battlefield and Call of Duty. It would be a massive change in how we look at games that I don't agree with. The only time I've ever agreed with the idea of separating the two is IGN's GTAV review. GTA Online is sort of packaged as a separate entity that was released a couple of weeks after the retail game came out.

Your second point about reading scores or not is a completely separate issue. Frankly, we are in an industry that likes numbers. It generates conversation. I don't see how that really has a bearing on whether you review a game as a whole or in parts.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I stick by the tried and tested method of not looking at reviews mainly, and just try them via rental the buy if its what i am lookin for.

5. Likes avecha likes this post
    PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    I rent almost all of my games too. Doesn't mean I don't read a variety of reviews to get different perspectives. I still like to see what people around the industry think about games. Reviews aren't the Bible. You can still like or dislike a game despite the Metacritic rating.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Thats just you. I'd rather not..obviously they aren't the bible. Have been gamin long enough to know all that bollocks. Neither do i pay attention to metacritic...not gone wrong by the way i select my games so it works for me.

8. Likes avecha likes this post
    overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    When the review copies are sent out the multiplayer portion is usually deactivated, so would be hard to do.

Unless it was added at a later date

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    I stick by the tried and tested method of not looking at reviews mainly, and just try them via rental the buy if its what i am lookin for.
    Same here. If I'm unsure about a game I just rent it first. I dont trust reviews anymore.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Same here. If I'm unsure about a game I just rent it first. I dont trust reviews anymore.
    Neither do I. Everyone has an agenda.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    When the review copies are sent out the multiplayer portion is usually deactivated, so would be hard to do.

Unless it was added at a later date
    which is a good reason they should be reviewed separately. LOL

Asset Manager
    PSN ID
    avecha
    Items Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    I agree wholly. I believe people get swayed or start thinking the same as a reviewer when it comes to movies or games. Hate train.

There have been movies i have loved but seeing threads of negativity in forums has started me thinking if i actually do like the movie.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    it's really not the point of being swayed in this type of discussion. It's basic simplicity, some games are formed more for multiplayer than the campaign. If there was a separate review for this type of thing, it would make more sense. Some people buy CoD just for the campaign while others buy it for just the multiplayer. It's created for what to expect really. therefor scored separately.

It's like, why rate a game with a campaign review in knowing full well that the game is aimed mainly for multiplayer? I see a lot of this type of reviewing on other sites, too.

just an idea though, that's all.

Thread Information