Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: What would you rate this film?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

1 8.33%

0 0%

0 0%

1 8.33%

0 0%

1 8.33%

3 25.00%

3 25.00%

3 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Unbound Mercenary
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Just to keep thing safe.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Wonderful! Adventurous! I feel like a kid again. I just love Smaug the Dragon. Benedict Cumberbatch is such an awesome voice actor that I was rooting for the Dragon the whole time! I can't wait for part 3!

One ring to rule them all.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Loved it. Saw this Saturday night, as a fan of the books i love what Jackson has done with these films!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Saw it last night, enjoyed it overall but I didn't think it was a massive improvement over the first, which I felt had more charm and knew what it was doing. As said above, some scenes felt rushed; I saw it in the high frame rate 3D and I'd imagine I'd prefer just a standard blu-ray copy. It was all a bit galling.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    So what are everyone's thoughts on the last action sequence?

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    I haven't read Smaug's part in the book, so I don't know how Tolkien played that out. Keeping in mind that was a kids book so maybe he made it short and sweet for that purpose.

While watching it in the theater, it never crossed my mind that it was dragged out. I thoroughly enjoyed how Smaug was portrayed and for me something of that intellect doesn't go down easily, and I don't know if he terrorizes the town in book or not but it would seem a let down if that didn't come back around. Clearly Bard is going to have a moment of redemption or at least the opportunity.

Although the gold looked like a videogame cut scene, it was a cool draw on Smaug's own greed.

Perhaps in future viewings my opinion will change.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed how Smaug was portrayed and for me something of that intellect doesn't go down easily

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    It's not like they were in an open field... Jackson showed that Moria is quite a maze. They're mice against the dragon, slipping through his fingers as they weave in and out. Once the gold statue begins to melt you know what Thorin's goal is.

I'm not trying to defend Jackson splitting up the smallest book into the most movies; clearly he could've chopped it to 2 hours and not done the lengthy barrel or smaug scenes. But for what it is, I am entertained.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    It's not like they were in an open field... Jackson showed that Moria is quite a maze. They're mice against the dragon, slipping through his fingers as they weave in and out.
    Smaug wiped out all of Erebor before with ease, which was just as maze-like then and had many more dwarves guarding it. I can understand maybe one neat little trick conjured up by the dwarves, but that sequence was 20 minutes of Smaug bumbling through Erebor.

That sequence was in direct contract to the previous scene, where Smaug showcased his wit to Bilbo. It was a tense, threatening scene. And then we go right to the bumbling.

Once the gold statue begins to melt you know what Thorin's goal is.
    You only realize the goal once it's done instead of engaging the audience during the plan. And on top of that, the payoff was incredibly jarring due to the poor visual effects.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Smaug wiped out all of Erebor before with ease, which was just as maze-like then and had many more dwarves guarding it. I can understand maybe one neat little trick conjured up by the dwarves, but that sequence was 20 minutes of Smaug bumbling through Erebor.

That sequence was in direct contract to the previous scene, where Smaug showcased his wit to Bilbo. It was a tense, threatening scene. And then we go right to the bumbling.
    Fair points.

You only realize the goal once it's done instead of engaging the audience during the plan. And on top of that, the payoff was incredibly jarring due to the poor visual effects.
    Generally when doing an action scene of this type, the idea is to present the audience with clues... bits and pieces of the plan. When they see the result, they understand the execution. Star Trek Into Darkness did this well with Spock setting up to take down Kahn. Question is whether you feel there wasn't enough clues conveyed to understand the statue sequence.

I wouldn't say it was jarring because of the effects... it's not like they went from a shot of photorealistic to pre-vis. Clearly they spent their time on Smaug especially with the lengthy sequence and the gold got a back seat but it works.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Generally when doing an action scene of this type, the idea is to present the audience with clues... bits and pieces of the plan. When they see the result, they understand the execution. Star Trek Into Darkness did this well with Spock setting up to take down Kahn. Question is whether you feel there wasn't enough clues conveyed to understand the statue sequence.
    Yeah, I would say the clues weren't conveyed well enough. There was just a lot of elaborate and over-the-top stuff going on. I sort of zoned out during that sequence to be honest. It doesn't help that the scene was completely invented for the film, so I knew neither Smaug or any of the dwarves would be harmed.

Unbound Mercenary
    There two things about the movie that made me really disappointed.

The first was Beorn. He looked awful in human form. It made me cringe.

And the second was the last action scene. You can just see what was in the book, and not. It was too long, unnecessary, and like said above, made Smaug look like a $#@!ing joke. The effects during this looked like $#@! too.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwes View Post
    The first was Beorn. He looked awful in human form. It made me cringe.
    I liked Beorn, but his section was definitely rushed. I can only imagine what people thought of that section if they didn't read the book. He's an odd character and they didn't really set him up enough.

He's definitely less "grimdark" in the book and more of a jolly lumberjack type, but I liked his voice and he was pretty intimidating.

Unbound Mercenary
    I liked Beorn, but his section was definitely rushed. I can only imagine what people thought of that section if they didn't read the book. He's an odd character and they didn't really set him up enough.

He's definitely less "grimdark" in the book and more of a jolly lumberjack type, but I liked his voice and he was pretty intimidating.
    I hated how they just rushed into his house without anything from the book. They just ran in, and that was that. Instead of the excellent build up like in the book.

It was only implied that he was not to be messed with in the story, but in the book, Gandalf seems to be genuinely frightened of him, and goes through such lengths to not shock him. I wish he would have looked like this honestly.

And in the book, he is shown to be kind, and friendly verbally. As well as very knowledgeable of things that are going on. In the movie, while he seems smart, he moves, and talks like he kinda "slow". If that makes any sense.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    That was a weird chapter in the book... the game of introducing each dwarf...

Unbound Mercenary
    That was a weird chapter in the book... the game of introducing each dwarf...
    Gandalf did that because Beorn so fiercely hated dwarves, and to show all of them at once would have ended very poorly for them. So he kept him distracted, and introduced them one by one. It was very clever, and showed a more human side of Beorn.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    I don't know, it just read kind of weird. But on the flip side, I was disappointed that the Ent's home in Two Towers wasn't nearly as glamorous as it was in the book.

Unbound Mercenary
    Yeah. I remember it in the book as being so cool. Then it was just sort of...a boring clearing in the movie. lol

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I hated how they just rushed into his house without anything from the book. They just ran in, and that was that. Instead of the excellent build up like in the book.

It was only implied that he was not to be messed with in the story, but in the book, Gandalf seems to be genuinely frightened of him, and goes through such lengths to not shock him. I wish he would have looked like this honestly.

And in the book, he is shown to be kind, and friendly verbally. As well as very knowledgeable of things that are going on. In the movie, while he seems smart, he moves, and talks like he kinda "slow". If that makes any sense.
    I never expected Jackson to include the individual dwarf introductions, but I agree that he needed more set-up.

Yeah. I remember it in the book as being so cool. Then it was just sort of...a boring clearing in the movie. lol
    Have you seen the extended editions of LOTR? I know you're talking about the ent moot, but they show Treebeard's home, which was cool (although Jackson was wise to cut it from the theatrical version).

Unbound Mercenary
    I never expected Jackson to include the individual dwarf introductions, but I agree that he needed more set-up.

Have you seen the extended editions of LOTR? I know you're talking about the ent moot, but they show Treebeard's home, which was cool (although Jackson was wise to cut it from the theatrical version).
    Perhaps not in full. But the movie is plenty long enough that he could have done something similar, instead of just, you know, running in.

And Its been a long time since I watched the full extended LOTR. Gonna have to now. lol

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Perhaps not in full. But the movie is plenty long enough that he could have done something similar, instead of just, you know, running in.
    It's certainly a shame that material from the book actually got cut in favor of film inventions like the love triangle and that last action sequence.

There's going to be some great book scenes in the extended edition:

-More Beorn
    -Gandalf receiving the key and map from Thrain
    -Bombur falling into the enchanted Mirkwood river
    -The disappearing elf feasts in Mirkwood
    -The dwarves walking through a ruined Dale

Unbound Mercenary
    It's certainly a shame that material from the book actually got cut in favor of film inventions like the love triangle and that last action sequence.

There's going to be some great book scenes in the extended edition:

-More Beorn
    -Gandalf receiving the key and map from Thrain
    -Bombur falling into the enchanted Mirkwood river
    -The disappearing elf feasts in Mirkwood
    -The dwarves walking through a ruined Dale
    That really bugged me that Jackson did that.

Hopefully. More of the spiders would be good too.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items Vita
    I thought it was allright... I think the main redeeming quality of it isnt actualy in the movie, its the possible extended scenes we might be getting in the extended cut. i thought the first one was a bit meh but that too was redeemed by the extended cut.
    Last edited by Kingstoph; 01-22-2014 at 12:03. Reason: Working in an office _
    There once was a man named Sidney, he used to collect shells on the beach. everything was going well for him. untill he stopped and took a look, he had a glance and a stare and realised he what he was reading.
    It was a forum signature full of nonsense

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Got the five-disc extended edition of the Hobbit actually, look forward to seeing what was added.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Thread Information