Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    You don't need a sound card anymore. I don't have one and my sound is flawless.
    Whilst it is true that its not a necessity i don't like using the onboard sound. I recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU + heat sink for just under 400 but the board does not have any PCI slots (board ha PCIexpress) which s what my sound card uses, so Ia m stuck with the on-board of this newer board which is in my opinion vastly inferior to the now 8 year old X-fi Xtreme music.
    Witt he on-board sound I have to crank the volume all the way up in windws on my head phones and even inthe media player or the game to be able to hear properly.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-10-2013 at 01:54.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Whilst it is true that its not a necessity i don't like using the onboard sound. I recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU + heat sink for just under 400 but the board does not have any PCI slots (board ha PCIexpress) which s what my sound card uses, so Ia m stuck with the on-board of this newer board which is in my opinion vastly inferior to the now 8 year old X-fi Xtreme music.
    Witt he on-board sound I have to crank the volume all the way up in windws on my head phones and even inthe media player or the game to be able to hear properly.
    I dunno....I used to buy sound cards with all new PCs, but then my sound card went out and I didn't have money for a new one. Plugged up my headphones to the onboard sound...and I hear no difference at all.

Sure there are higher quality sound cards that will beat onboard sound, but thats with anything. Stock sound systems in cars now-a-days aren't that bad, but of course there are sound systems that are far superior.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    The main thing is this. No matter how slick your pc is the games will generally be made for consoles an thus graphics will be set accordingly. Ac4 is a great example. Though it might look slightly better on a high end pc it will always only be slightly better. The real question is can you personally justify the cost. I would love a mega gaming pc but truth be told I can't justify the cost.

tapatalk post
    I just have this feeling that a lot of you haven't played AC4, or lots of other games, on high end PCs. To the more important point, if you're satisfied with the consoles' quality (which is really, really good for $400-$500), and you don't need to have the flexibility of PC, then, absolutely, the cost is unjustifiable.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Superior Member
    You don't need a sound card anymore. I don't have one and my sound is flawless.
    To be fair, though, you do need one if you're hooking your gaming PC up to a standard audio receiver and you want to output digital surround sound from your games.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    ROFLMAO!!

So, you do have a PC, but it has not RAM, no sound, no speakers, and no monitor?

REALLY?

If you want to debate the subject, do it like a man, not a silly little boy. Start with the fact that EVERYONE has a monitor, sound card, speakers, RAM, and even a CPU. And unless your PC is like 10 years old and already beyond the designed lifespan of the hardware, you do NOT have to upgrade it all to play games. That is the thought process of an ignorant fool who lacks the education to even discuss the subject.

And for the record, if we assume you have ANY real PC (And that includes a monitor and speakers, as well as a case, keyboard, mouse, and drives that you can reuse) you can still replace the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Video card to something that will equal the PS4/Xbox One for about $500-$600. You can then save $20 on every multiplatform game you buy.

5-10 games and you're equal to the PS4 price for the same. 15 games and you've saved $100 vs buying a PS4 and the same games for it.

Oh, and if you want to be a real child about it some more, why not compare the price of that big HDTV you're going to have to buy for your console to a typical 1080p PC monitor? You can get that PC monitor for less than $100. Compare the price of your home stereo to the price of some PC speakers as well while you're at it. Say, $20 for the PC speakers.

Don't want to do that, do you? Not really a favorable comparison for you having to add up the cost of your HDTV and Stereo and compare it to a cheap 1080p PC monitor and some PC speakers, is it?

Don't blame me, you're the one that brought up the monitor and the PC speakers in the first place, so do a proper apples to apples comparison and tell me how much it's going to cost to provide a display and sound system for your game console as well. You can't play your PS4 without them after all.
    Again if you want to play AC4 where it looks better or as good as a ps4 you won't be using any of the base items I mentioned. This is a fact and your trying to act superior just shows you lack the actual facts

tapatalk post

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    To be fair, though, you do need one if you're hooking your gaming PC up to a standard audio receiver and you want to output digital surround sound from your games.
    True...but then again...why not use a headset when more than likely you'll be doing online gaming which will require one anyway.

I haven't used speakers in sooooo long. Even for my PS4 I have a headset. It's just more immersive, imo, and doesn't disturb anyone else.

Forum Sage

http://youtu.be/IHogNolObqk

True...but then again...why not use a headset when more than likely you'll be doing online gaming which will require one anyway.

I haven't used speakers in sooooo long. Even for my PS4 I have a headset. It's just more immersive, imo, and doesn't disturb anyone else.
    Whilst I love my headset I only use it for late night gaming. Nothing beats playing Battlefield 4 with the volume right up on my SP2500's

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    I'm a gamer, I have exclusives no matter what platform they are on. cheers.

Forum Sage

Exclusives only really matter if you only play on one platform.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Exclusives matter when you can only afford one platform

tapatalk post

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    Exclusives matter when you can only afford one platform

tapatalk post
    Very true. Although exclusives are becoming less so these days, imagine if you said ME series would be on PS3 one day. I grew up with PSX and nothing will ever top that for me, just because of the time of life then and how amazing it was. PS had my fave games of all time on and so I'd stick with them over XB anyday. On a side note, I also buy every Nintendo console purely for the exclusives as it will be a long time before I see Mario on another console

Thread Information