Apprentice

Sony reset my password for irregular activity and security purposes

Has anybody ever got this message from Sony? This is strange its got me a little worried somebody was trying to hack/login to my PSN. This is a gmail email for my PSN, I'm thinking as there was a report of gmail emails being compromised and hacked maybe they're just resetting all gmail accounts. I hope that's the case.

------------------

Dear valued customer,

The Sony Entertainment Network team routinely monitors for any irregular activity, and if such activity is detected, we may sometimes reset passwords of affected accounts to protect consumers and their account information. Your account password was recently reset as part of this process and you will need to create a new password the next time you access your account using the "Forgot Your Password" option on the Sign in screen.

We encourage you to create a complex unique password that you have not used before or isn't the same password as those associated with other online services. As always, we also encourage you to keep a close eye on your account for any unusual activity including emails about transactions you did not perform. Please click here if you need help in changing your password, or to contact us for additional assistance.

Also, remember that Sony will never ask you for your password or any personal or account information in an email. Please use caution if you receive any emails or phone calls from anyone asking for personal information or directing you to a website where you are asked to provide personal information.

Thank you,
    The Sony Entertainment Network Team

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    No but that does suck, but there was a story that Sony was doing this because there had been a few cases of it!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Yep....got that same email this morning. My password was already complex so I doubt it was a case of being hacked, rather someone attempted a hack. Not worried.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Apprentice

Yeah I was playing Battlefield 4. I left to go eat and do homework. I left my PS4 on and came back and PSN was signed out. I had to reset my password.

I did just buy Battlefield 4 for PS3 and upgraded. I also just bought two years of PS+ on Black Friday. I haven't bought anything from the PSN store for a very long time. I don't know if thats why or not.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmus View Post
    Has anybody ever got this message from Sony? This is strange its got me a little worried somebody was trying to hack/login to my PSN. This is a gmail email for my PSN, I'm thinking as there was a report of gmail emails being compromised and hacked maybe they're just resetting all gmail accounts. I hope that's the case.

------------------

Dear valued customer,

The Sony Entertainment Network team routinely monitors for any irregular activity, and if such activity is detected, we may sometimes reset passwords of affected accounts to protect consumers and their account information. Your account password was recently reset as part of this process and you will need to create a new password the next time you access your account using the "Forgot Your Password" option on the Sign in screen.

We encourage you to create a complex unique password that you have not used before or isn't the same password as those associated with other online services. As always, we also encourage you to keep a close eye on your account for any unusual activity including emails about transactions you did not perform. Please click here if you need help in changing your password, or to contact us for additional assistance.

Also, remember that Sony will never ask you for your password or any personal or account information in an email. Please use caution if you receive any emails or phone calls from anyone asking for personal information or directing you to a website where you are asked to provide personal information.

Thank you,
    The Sony Entertainment Network Team
    I got that very email today. I was still able to access my PSN account via the mobile app with out having to change a password though (that seems odd to me if they really reset it) I was planning on seeing if I automatically logged on when I got home or not.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by P51-SN95 View Post
    I got that very email today. I was still able to access my PSN account via the mobile app with out having to change a password though (that seems odd to me if they really reset it) I was planning on seeing if I automatically logged on when I got home or not.
    The App allowed be to log into it, but not the store. Also, when I went to the playstation.com site, and logged in, said I had to change my password and sent another e-mail w/ a link which brought me directly to a page to change my password.

PIA if you ask me. I'm sure it has to do with the gmail & facebook crap that got announced yesterday.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    The App allowed be to log into it, but not the store. Also, when I went to the playstation.com site, and logged in, said I had to change my password and sent another e-mail w/ a link which brought me directly to a page to change my password.

PIA if you ask me. I'm sure it has to do with the gmail & facebook crap that got announced yesterday.
    Hmm I must've missed that. What was announced.

And I don't have my Gmail account as the one tied to my PS account. If that matters at all for what ever the announcement was.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by P51-SN95 View Post
    Hmm I must've missed that. What was announced.

And I don't have my Gmail account as the one tied to my PS account. If that matters at all for what ever the announcement was.
    It was this one http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...malware-attack

I'm not too worried as I use an Alpha-Numeric-Upper/Lower Case password w/ the Char's being nonsensical. And my facebook password isn't the same as other passwords, ... And I don't use facebook to log into other accounts.

My wife was all freaked out about it though wanting to change all of our passwords. I think Sony's being proactive after being caught with their pants down a couple years back and paying some big money to give us all 6mo of free protection service.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    It was this one http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...malware-attack

I'm not too worried as I use an Alpha-Numeric-Upper/Lower Case password w/ the Char's being nonsensical. And my facebook password isn't the same as other passwords, ... And I don't use facebook to log into other accounts.

My wife was all freaked out about it though wanting to change all of our passwords. I think Sony's being proactive after being caught with their pants down a couple years back and paying some big money to give us all 6mo of free protection service.
    no, its because some people accounts were hacked. So far it's affecting FIfa. One of my friends was a victim. Someone charged $25 on his psn account and he had to change his password.I guess sony is getting ahead of the issue by resetting passwords.

PSN Accounts Being Hacked, FIFA 14 Trading Cards Apparently Compromising Users
    http://gamingbolt.com/psn-accounts-b...romising-users

little buster @little_busterOL
    Follow

Someone charged $150 on my @PlayStation account. They told me "all sales final" now I find out PSN was hacked 6 days ago...

John Z @JohnZSays
    Follow
    That's cool, someone hacked my PSN account and added $150 to my wallet. Thanks douche, I barely even use that thing.

Jcenky @Jcenky
    Follow
    If you are on the PSN, change your password ASAP. They got hacked again. CC #ís compromised again. Shouts to @BasedLaRock for the info.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    I got the same email about 10 days ago and my password actually wasn't reset. I just got the same email again and Sony had reset it.

Last time around some people got the email and did get reset and they had trouble getting authenticated through the "forgot password" system at console sign in. Wasn't accepting known-correct birth years, email addresses, etc. I changed my password by trying to login to the PSN via the web. I couldn't login and that triggers a password-reset email sent to your PSN registered email address. Follow the instructions in that email and it takes like two seconds to change your password. Well two seconds to change it. Somewhat longer to run around to your consoles and smartphones and Vitas and change the password on those. But a lot better than your attempts to change your password being rejected through the console method.

This seems like it's in part a few limited incidents and at least in some part social hacking. It's people trying to break into your account manually by knowing your email address and blind guessing your password, or using a password they got somewhere else they think could be your PSN password.

What good does it do, though, besides inconvenience to the user to hack in and fund $150, or any amount, to someone else's PSN wallet? I mean fund it and spend it, yeah, I guess, until the account owner catches on. But just fund it? They don't get anything out of that but dumb ass pranking. I guess that's enough for some people.

For the record, after I changed my password, I checked both my SEN/PSN transaction history and my credit card authorizations. Nothing. So somebody might have tried to get into my account but they weren't able to.

Part of the problem, in my opinion and hardly limited to PSN, is using email addresses as login IDs. It's pretty easy to get half the login credentials without even trying. The password is trickier but it would make it quite a bit harder if so-called social hackers had to guess the login name AND the password, not just the password.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 12-05-2013 at 22:54.

Forum Sage
    I don't think this is directly related to the SEN/PSN (well, it is and isn't.) It has to do with people's Facebook, Gmail, and Twitter accounts being compromised through other means.

A lot of people use those services with the same email as SEN/PSN. I'm wondering if that is why Sony is just being pre-cautious?

I could be wrong, since the article I read has to do with software installed on people's computer grabbing passwords for those services. Companies affected have been informed and are taking necessary steps and I am assuming that this is Sony doing just that.

Source
    http://mashable.com/2013/12/04/hacke...twitter-gmail/

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Just had to change mine today, all safe and secure now!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    I don't think this is directly related to the SEN/PSN (well, it is and isn't.) It has to do with people's Facebook, Gmail, and Twitter accounts being compromised through other means.

A lot of people use those services with the same email as SEN/PSN. I'm wondering if that is why Sony is just being pre-cautious?

I could be wrong, since the article I read has to do with software installed on people's computer grabbing passwords for those services. Companies affected have been informed and are taking necessary steps and I am assuming that this is Sony doing just that.

Source
    http://mashable.com/2013/12/04/hacke...twitter-gmail/
    Yeah, I think you're right. Sony's not the target. The random PSN funding reports could be coincidence. And people not only use the same email addresses, but often the same passwords as other services. You're not supposed to, of course, use the same password, but people do. Five passwords is manageable, twenty-five passwords really isn't.

Back when, you were never supposed to write down your password. But these days with so many services people use the same passwords. This was a malware hack. It won't be long before there's malware that gets around software password management systems. Today it's perhaps more secure, at least secure in practice, to use a variety of passwords and write them down on a sheet of paper you keep locked in a desk drawer in case you forget.

Anyway, still just Sony being proactive. I never got a security notice from Facebook so I'm not one of the 2 million some odd compromised accounts. I use a Mac. There's no Pony malware that runs on Macs. Not yet. Probably will be soon.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 12-05-2013 at 23:08.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Yeah, I think you're right. Sony's not the target. The random PSN funding reports could be coincidence. And people not only use the same email addresses, but often the same passwords as other services. You're not supposed to, of course, use the same password, but people do. Five passwords is manageable, twenty-five passwords really isn't.

Back when, you were never supposed to write down your password. But these days with so many services people use the same passwords. This was a malware hack. It won't be long before there's malware that gets around software password management systems. Today it's perhaps more secure, at least secure in practice, to use a variety of passwords and write them down on a sheet of paper you keep locked in a desk drawer in case you forget.

Anyway, still just Sony being proactive. I never got a security notice from Facebook so I'm not one of the 2 million some odd compromised accounts. I use a Mac. There's no Pony malware that runs on Macs. Not yet. Probably will be soon.
    Yeah I 'vent had any weird activity on my PSN account but Deviant art asked me to change my password based on another site (that they didn't name) being hacked, so it's likely Sony did the same where ever it looked like someone tried to brute force their way in.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Just turned my ps4 on and got told my password was no longer valid.. WTF is going on?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2 View Post
    Yeah I 'vent had any weird activity on my PSN account but Deviant art asked me to change my password based on another site (that they didn't name) being hacked, so it's likely Sony did the same where ever it looked like someone tried to brute force their way in.
    Yeah. I just decided to completely freak out and change all my passwords related to any sites even remotely connected to the potentially compromised sites. Man that was a pain. I'm almost done logging back in everywhere. I guess it only took maybe half an hour to change all the passwords and log back in to everything but it seemed like half a month.

Thread Information