Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica

Laptop not capable of running even simplest of games.

Ok so I own a Sony Vaio PCG-71C11M, it has a 320GB HD and 4GB (3.6 use-able) of RAM, and the processor is an AMD E-350 1.60 GHz.
    Works perfectly for browsing the internet, this forum, watching movies, storing pictures etc. However the ONLY real purpose I even bought this laptop was to play Football Manager as I'm a huge fan, now something to do with those specs hinders my ability to run even this game properly.
    I'm a fan of real football and know about up and coming talent all across the globe so I enjoy the simulation of buying and growing them, so the alternative i Have of only loading one country and using a single league doesn't really appeal to me. Because I like to fire up all cylinders and start a game on the largest database, with most leagues and countries active, and like to download a face and icon pack to make the game complete, the load times on my system are COMPLETELY unbearable. Like upwards of 5-10 minutes to sim a day, especially on a weekend game-day with people playing all over the world, my game really struggles to run effectively.

I guess my question is (as I'm not exactly swimming in money) what would be a cheap alternative for my requirements. I mean I'm hardly in the market for a complete gaming PC with all the specs to perfectly run anything I throw at it.
    Just to quickly and effectively run Football Manager and occasionally SimCity.
    The alternative will need to be fairly cheap I could probably sell this current system for around 100 if I'm lucky, so I probably have a budget of around 400/500.
    Also a PC is completely out of the question as I simply don't have the space for a desktop.

tl;dr cheap laptop to run FM amazingly well?

PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You laptop simply has not got the processing power to run all that at once. If you un-installed the extra features you added (icon faces) and only simulated a couple of leagues and not all of them you might see better load times.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-05-2013 at 21:34.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    You laptop simply has not got the processing power to run all that at once. If you un-installed the extra features you added (icon faces) and only simulated a couple of leagues and not all of them you might see better load times.
    Yeah I know, but with that being my ideal way to play; I'm ideally after a suggestion of what system to buy within my price range that could capably run it all because generally that's all I'll be using it for

Lets Play!
    PS4.

Power Member
    Not a great deal of options for 500.
    Should be able to get an Intel i5 with 4GB RAM for that much, just.
    No idea how well it will run it though buyt surely will be better than the AMD you have now.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Not much of a buff when it comes to computer specs, what does it all mean haha? They made my specs sound real impressive when I purchased, evidentally not haha

Lets Play!
    PS4.

Power Member
    Intel of 3 types of CPU, the larger thenumber the better the CPU is.

i3 low end
    i5 mid range
    i7 high end

More RAM the better, I would try to go for 8GB but for your price you will have to sacrifice either Hard drive space or CPU power or both.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Football sims are also need a huge HDD requirement well they did for my brother back in the day of FM10/11, they do require loads of CPU power as Keefy said an i5 should be better than your AMD for calculations etc I agree for 8GB RAM min

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm HDD, HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    With my seemingly inadequate budget, do you think anything that fits the bill will come up in January sales? Or should I not hold my breath...

Lets Play!
    PS4.

Power Member
    Possible, the laptop I helped my dad buy a couple months ago has already dropped in price by 20 and at the moment can get a further 10% off. So would be 612

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...12967-pdt.html

Or There is this for exactly 500
    Similar CPU but clocked higher so lower battery life 8 GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, no touch screen, I guess touch screen costs a fair bit.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...31464-pdt.html
    Last edited by keefy; 12-06-2013 at 00:39.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Possible, the laptop I helped my dad buy a couple months ago has already dropped in price by 20 and at the moment can get a further 10% off. So would be 612

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...12967-pdt.html

Or There is this for exactly 500
    Similar CPU but clocked higher so lower battery life 8 GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, no touch screen, I guess touch screen costs a fair bit.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...31464-pdt.html
    Ok so like I said I'm not really too great at these things, but as far as I can see; the second, cheaper alternative with no touchscreen; has better specs? Thus more suited to the reasons I'll use it for?
    The processor looks bigger (whether or not that gap is MASSIVE in terms of GHz, I'll never know)
    with the RAM and memory the same, so that looks a good choice? Argh I suck with this.

Lets Play!
    PS4.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Let me put it this way, on a top end PC having a full database simulated per day can still take upwards of 3-4 minutes in Football Manager 2012. The amount needed to be calculated is insane. It might be a simple game to play but it's perhaps the most stressful on the CPU and RAM, even more so than Civilisation. I'm running on an i7 3820 and 16GB RAM if you're wondering and that's for just 3-4 minutes, so don't expect a huge improvement down to about a minute but at your budget expect something around 6 minutes.

Edit: Actually it's been so long since I've tried I'm not sure whether it was this PC or the previous one I had that I got those times from as I changed computers around the same time. Just going to install the game and try it out.
    Last edited by Varsh; 12-06-2013 at 12:17.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Oh right I see, to be completely honest anything would be an improvement; especially considered that the game pulls quite alot
    Like, imagine watching a video on youtube, and it playing for a second, then buffers for like 0.2 seconds and resumes by playing another second.
    The whole game is so jumpy and skippy, kind of like intense lag, so I think if I got something which could eradicate that I'd probably lose 2/3 minutes as it is.

Lets Play!
    PS4.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Well I started a season as England with a large database and 166000 players. It took 16 minutes to setup the database. As for per day, well it seems to be going pretty quickly so far but then I haven't got to the season yet.

Edit: Still in the pre-season but so far each day is taking about 10 seconds to calculate, I'll assume that when the season hits it'll jump like crazy.
    Last edited by Varsh; 12-06-2013 at 19:36.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Oh cool, keep me posted! Is this 2012 did you say?

Lets Play!
    PS4.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Yeah I only have 2012. So far each day is taking, surprisingly, very little time, for the days where there's tonnes of matches happening it takes about ~2 minutes but for most days it seems to be taking about 20 seconds!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    So, in comparison to the specs I intend to buy:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...31464-pdt.html (Thanks to Keefy for finding this)
    Any estimates on how mine would run?

Lets Play!
    PS4.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Here is something that will help guide you to a better CPU in a future laptop:

http://www.c****nchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Just for reference, your CPU in your laptop got a score of 762, and my work laptop which has a i5-2430M got a score of 3252. Granted there are other things in place that can affect the speed as well, but this is good for a quick reference!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Thread Information