Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Member

End game need for voice chat

Hey everyone, not sure if I should have put this elsewhere, but as I am asking for FFXIV purposes, I thought this was good enough.

I managed to get into a coil 1 group last night for the first time, though sadly that was short lived as I don't have any of these voice chat apps. I've done some looking around, and it looks like Ventrilo and Mumble are the biggest two out there, with many people seeming to support mumble. Now, I know that I can download mumble for free, according to their website, but what I cannot figure out is:
    1. Will it cost me money to use the application, or does it only cost me money if I buy my own server (so basically, can I join other people's servers for free?)
    2. Is one or the other better, and is there anything I need to be looking out for when I download one of them. Any risks involved and all that.
    Sorry for the questions, just figured I'd ask. I'd really love to run coil, but without experience I cannot get into most groups, and since I don't have mumble or ventrilo I cannot get into other groups. It's a circular logic, and I'd like to break the circle if possible.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Bluehazeburnout
    Quote Originally Posted by FatesServant View Post
    Hey everyone, not sure if I should have put this elsewhere, but as I am asking for FFXIV purposes, I thought this was good enough.

I managed to get into a coil 1 group last night for the first time, though sadly that was short lived as I don't have any of these voice chat apps. I've done some looking around, and it looks like Ventrilo and Mumble are the biggest two out there, with many people seeming to support mumble. Now, I know that I can download mumble for free, according to their website, but what I cannot figure out is:
    1. Will it cost me money to use the application, or does it only cost me money if I buy my own server (so basically, can I join other people's servers for free?)
    2. Is one or the other better, and is there anything I need to be looking out for when I download one of them. Any risks involved and all that.
    Sorry for the questions, just figured I'd ask. I'd really love to run coil, but without experience I cannot get into most groups, and since I don't have mumble or ventrilo I cannot get into other groups. It's a circular logic, and I'd like to break the circle if possible.
    -FatesServant
    This kinda sucks for me as i have no pc to download either chat client onto!!!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Personally I prefer Teamspeak. You are able to download server software for TS so that you don't have to pay for a server but I don't know how to set it up as I've never tried.

Asset Manager
    PSN ID
    avecha
    Items Lightning
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...tros-Vent-info
    Whatever happened to this?

Also, you'll have to pay me before i get on a group chat thing.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Azimuth85
    Items Iron MaidenFinal Fantasy TacticsJoker (limited ICON)Baby ChocoboLightning
    Quote Originally Posted by avecha View Post
    I think we had it for beta/release but Yuuichi cancelled it since noone really used it.

PSN ID : Azimuth85

Elite Member
    I managed to get into a T1/T2 group last night. Man was that fun. Got my allagan tassets right after the first coil boss. So I suppose there are some groups out there that don't require voice software, but man are they far and few between. Hoping to run T2 and T3 tonight. Gonna keep my eye on the voice software stuff, but honestly I have no desire to pay money just so I can talk to random groups of people. If I joined a static, maybe I would.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Bluehazeburnout
    Quote Originally Posted by FatesServant View Post
    I managed to get into a T1/T2 group last night. Man was that fun. Got my allagan tassets right after the first coil boss. So I suppose there are some groups out there that don't require voice software, but man are they far and few between. Hoping to run T2 and T3 tonight. Gonna keep my eye on the voice software stuff, but honestly I have no desire to pay money just so I can talk to random groups of people. If I joined a static, maybe I would.
    -FatesServant
    I am just hoping they include it when the ps4 comes out.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Yoshi said that voice was intentionally left out because some people aren't into it and he didn't want them to feel pressured into using it or something. I think it should be in there.

I keep meaning to sign in to the vent they we have...

Sent from my GT-I9000
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Bluehazeburnout
    well if people have a ps4, we can always set up a party chat (only 8 people but then when are there more then that on) and chat that way without having to pay for vent.

but then having said that, can you log into ps4 and ps3 at the same time? still when it is released on ps4 at least we got the party chat option

Asset Manager
    PSN ID
    avecha
    Items Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehazeburnout View Post
    well if people have a ps4, we can always set up a party chat (only 8 people but then when are there more then that on) and chat that way without having to pay for vent.

but then having said that, can you log into ps4 and ps3 at the same time? still when it is released on ps4 at least we got the party chat option
    I'm logged into both my consoles at the same time. 8 person party chat would be perfect for 8 man raids. But we all need the PS4.

11. Likes Bluehazeburnout wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avecha View Post
    I'm logged into both my consoles at the same time. 8 person party chat would be perfect for 8 man raids. But we all need the PS4.
    Sadly for such a plan, I play on the PC. Not to mention I doubt I will even get a PS4 for another year or so. I think the PC should be able to tide me over until then, but we shall see. I may very well easily break during the summer, lol.
    -FatesServant

Thread Information