Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room

Why is the PS4 HDD called a 500GB HDD when it's only 407GB?

I know theres the thing where the space only goes by 6's or something so it can't add up to a perfect 500GB. Been a while since I looked at my A++ book, but thats not even close.

Thats just short of 100GB thats missing.

It's not like thats a little space.

First, before ppl get all pissy as if I'm belittling the PS4....I know the X1 is probably the same and that all HDDs have this problem....I just don't think retail HDDs are that far off from 500GB.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    The systems O/S and other things take up space on the HDD, that's why you only end up with that much left, plus like you say the total size is never bang on 500GB anyway after formatting. Sony will also hold some space back for later updates in case the O/S becomes bigger in size as more gets added.

Last i heard the Xbone as even less total free space after set up than the PS4, Plus at lest with PS4 your able to swap out the HDD.

3. Likes victorijapoosp wishes they had posted this first.
    Indoril Nerevar
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I believe (besides storage space set aside for the OS and other innate software) that's set aside for caching played games to the HDD, so that games can operate faster as the console will have two sources to draw data from.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    I guess on the bright side...if the OS taking up enough space to make it what it is...even if theres a few other apps or something...I guess they plan on doing something pretty big with it.

One can hope, I guess.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    500GB is 500 x 1000 = 500,000MB

There are some manufacturers (like Hitachi) that use MiB instead so it would be 500 x 1024 = 512,000MiB (they're nice giving you free space)

Now as the computer reads in powers of 2^ it will then show you the true space you have on your storage drive meaning 500,000 / 1024 = ~488GiB

Now the size of the drive is actually 488GiB, then it requires the operating system to be installed on it and other essential software which in this case takes up the rest of HDD space and in your case you have only 407GiB left. Before anyone quotes me Most consumers always use GB/MB for the powers of 2, however in electronics and manufacturing they use it to the powers of 1000 hence the discrepancy. So in the software to stop confusion they keep with GB/MB/etc.

Edit: Here's a Wiki explanation that sums up what I mean:

The hard drive industry continues to use decimal prefixes for drive capacity. Today, for example, a "300 GB" hard drive offers slightly more than 300109, or 300000000000, bytes, not 300230 (which would be about 322109). Operating systems such as Microsoft Windows that display hard drive sizes using the customary binary prefix "GB" (as it is used for RAM) would display this as 279.4 GB (meaning 279.410243, or 279.41073741824). On the other hand, Mac OS X has since version 10.6 shown hard drive size using decimal prefixes (thus matching the drive makers' packaging). (Previous versions of Mac OS used binary prefixes.)
    So there you have it, only Mac OS X reports the correct HDD space in real GB/MB using the decimal prefix (power of 1000). I'll need to ask my friend about Linux on this.
    Last edited by Varsh; 12-08-2013 at 12:49.

7. Likes jphuff wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    So there you have it, only Mac OS X reports the correct HDD space in real GB/MB using the decimal prefix (power of 1000). I'll need to ask my friend about Linux on this.
    No, as any Engineer, CS, or IT person would tell you. The correct form in decimal is to divide it by it's relative 2^10 for Kilo 2^20 for Mega 2^30 for Giga, 2^40 for Tera-Byte, ... period.

The drive manufactures wanting to show that they have more memory simply started using 10^3, 10^6, 10^9, 10^12 in terms of Kilo, Mega, Giga, Tera-Byte values.

The larger the drive size the greater the disparity.

No idea why Apple decided to capitulate on this and went the way the drive manufactures report it.

Veteran
    Not trying to sound like an ass here but have you not ever owned a device that contains a HDD or Flash drive before? There is no single device that offers the actual advertised capacity, not even HDDs or USB flash drives unless of course you do some tweaking of your own cleaning them up and removing stuff.

Apprentice
    Sony should have put in 600 GB or 750 at least to make up for the loss.

11. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 wishes they had posted this first.
    Dislikes victorijapoosp is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I think to keep costs down they thought it would just be easier to make the HDD simple to replace!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    I know theres the thing where the space only goes by 6's or something so it can't add up to a perfect 500GB. Been a while since I looked at my A++ book, but thats not even close.

First, before ppl get all pissy as if I'm belittling the PS4....I know the X1 is probably the same and that all HDDs have this problem....I just don't think retail HDDs are that far off from 500GB.
    No different than the PS3. There is some space reserved for the PS4's OS and DVR.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    No, as any Engineer, CS, or IT person would tell you. The correct form in decimal is to divide it by it's relative 2^10 for Kilo 2^20 for Mega 2^30 for Giga, 2^40 for Tera-Byte, ... period.
    However HDDs are different: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive#Units

Hey don't look at me I didn't devise this system.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    However HDDs are different: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive#Units

Hey don't look at me I didn't devise this system.
    Here's what it says.

The total capacity of HDDs is given by manufacturers in megabytes (1 MB = 1,000,000 bytes),gigabytes (1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes) or terabytes (1 TB = 1,000,000,000,000 bytes).[41][43][44][45][46][47] This numbering convention, where prefixes like mega- and giga-denote powers of 1,000, is also used for data transmission rates and DVD capacities. However, the convention is different from that used by manufacturers of memory (RAM, ROM) and CDs, where prefixes like kilo- and mega- mean powers of 1,024.

This doesn't conflict with what I stated. Which was the HDD Manufactures is the ones that decided to use this terminology. It's not the convention used by the originators of the terms or by Engineers, Computer Science, or IT personnel.

It is the convention that we live with and have come to expect in HDD's. It doesn't make it incorrect for an operating system from actually reported the memory capacity in the true definition.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    My 120GB PS3 Slim reserves 9GB (7.5 percent) but 93 out of 500GB reserved for the PS4 is close to 19 percent. I can't imagine using all 407GB of the PS4 though.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    My 120GB PS3 Slim reserves 9GB (7.5 percent) but 93 out of 500GB reserved for the PS4 is close to 19 percent. I can't imagine using all 407GB of the PS4 though.
    I think you mean that the 120GB drive in the PS3 Slim only shows up as having 111GB total space, in the PS3. That's the actual amount of GB's in normal digital terms of a 120,000,000,000B HDD (actually it's 111.76GB - shave a tiny bit for FAT32 allocation tables after formatting.) I forget how much was used by the OS. I'm sure someone will state what it was.

The PS4 only reports how much that's been allocated to non-OS and misc. usage (i.e. what's been provided to the end user for usage (this is smaller than the disc size) and what's available.) While the PS3 does indicate the full disc size (as well as what's available.) Actual disc size is ~465.7GBs - Reserve about 50GB for OS, another 8GB for video buffering - Note those are guesstimates as Sony to my knowledge hasn't released what these actually are. And you're down tot he 407GB's that Sony shows as being customer usable data.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    ****, I ate up half that space on launch day.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    makes you feel any better my 1,000GB HDD only came out at like 870GB roughly after formatting etc.. this space won't last long I predict by June 2014 it's gonna be all gone
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    X1 has 362GB free for comparison

22. Likes Julz wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    X1 has 362GB free for comparison

very interesting.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by MLG221 View Post
    Sony should have put in 600 GB or 750 at least to make up for the loss.
    I agree.
    "We" all know that when you use a HD for a PC and it's the main drive, then you will lose quite a chunk due to the OS and drivers and whatnot.
    But 95% of the people buying it don't know or expect there to be a 5th of the HDD missing.
    This is a gaming console, not a PC, and was advertised to have 500GB of storage space.
    I think Sony should have accounted for this and just compensated for the loss in HD space that the OS takes up and give us the advertised amount of space.
    It's not a big deal to me, because I expected it, as did most of us. But the average PS4 buyer, would be complexity put off buy this, wondering where alot of there HD space went.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    I agree.
    "We" all know that when you use a HD for a PC and it's the main drive, then you will lose quite a chunk due to the OS and drivers and whatnot.
    But 95% of the people buying it don't know or expect there to be a 5th of the HDD missing.
    This is a gaming console, not a PC, and was advertised to have 500GB of storage space.
    I think Sony should have accounted for this and just compensated for the loss in HD space that the OS takes up and give us the advertised amount of space.
    It's not a big deal to me, because I expected it, as did most of us. But the average PS4 buyer, would be complexity put off buy this, wondering where alot of there HD space went.
    Why would the average consumer not expect it, when every piece of electronics with internal storage comes with free space which is less than the number on the box? Most of them likely have a 16GB phone that actually had 13GB of free space.

26. Likes victorijapoosp wishes they had posted this first.
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Why would the average consumer not expect it, when every piece of electronics with internal storage comes with free space which is less than the number on the box? Most of them likely have a 16GB phone that actually had 13GB of free space.
    The average consumer doesn't even know what "HDD" or "MB" or any of that stuff is or stands for.
    And why should they? What may seem like common knowledge to you is rocket science to someone that doesn't use PC's daily or at all, other than to use the internet.
    A huge percent of people buying these consoles are parents and kids.
    You wouldn't believe how ignorant the average consumer is when it comes to electronics.

Extreme Poster
    I guess on the bright side...if the OS taking up enough space to make it what it is...even if theres a few other apps or something...I guess they plan on doing something pretty big with it.

One can hope, I guess.
    no, OS will take up space but that has little to do with what they'll do with it. it's the amount of RAM that determines what they will do and I don't think they will do much, considering there's no in-game XMB (to my knowledge) and you can practically switch to anything else during gameplay - meaning, you're accessing the full OS at all times.

so whatever they add on to the OS, they are taking away from games...but understanding that they will lower the amount of RAM being used, they would only be able to add things that are received through optimization.

and i think they'd rather give it to the developers than use it for useless stuff...so really we don't know anything. what i can guess is that we'll just get a better smoother experience as we move forward, as far as adding big features (especially non-gaming related), i doubt it.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    funkybudda

have you not bought a computer or laptop before? All the advertisement will say xxx GB hard drive, but when you fired up your system, you never have the actual xxx GB size. Is this really a serious thread to complain about?
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Quote Originally Posted by funkybudda View Post
    have you not bought a computer or laptop before? All the advertisement will say xxx GB hard drive, but when you fired up your system, you never have the actual xxx GB size. Is this really a serious thread to complain about?
    Are you complaining just to complain. I thought I explained that I know the numbers in computers don't add up pretty well and what I was wondering about was where all that space went.

That the 100GB that was missing was what the odd thing was. In contrast I have a 500GB HDD on my PC that is 465GB total...that is what my confusion was.

Thread Information