Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901

Really worried about this PS4 Sound

So yesterday I get home from work and I turn on my ps4 and was surprised by an unusually loud sound coming from the disc drive. It was apparently reading the battlefield 4 disc that was inserted, however it was at least twice as loud as its normally been. I let it go thinking (or more like hoping) it was just a one time deal. However, I get home tonight after a 13 hour workday and it just did it and I'm really worried, scared, pissed. Can anyone shed some light as to what's happening?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Your PS4 is screaming in pain. Stop playing EA games on it.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    I should've specified any real non sarcastic bull$#@! information please

4. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    The other day my car brakes made a strange noise and the FIRST THING I did was post on a forum, instead of contacting my car dealership.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    No its not. Mine does make that sound but the sound I'm talking about is like maybe something loose. That's the best way I can explain it
    BTW, thank you for legitimately helping dark. Appreciate it

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Oh snap! I was getting trolled in the other thread by Julz....I thought he was really a PS fanboy....but I see he's just a troll.

Ok...well, that explains things. Not derailing this thread any further.

Anyway, my PS4 does this every now and then...is it a low humming sound? Thats all mine does but it only does it for a few seconds and then I don't really hear it again.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Does it only make the sounds when Battlefield 4 is in? Or is it any game you play?
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Formally known as:

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    You mean from cold start, and it lasts for a couple of seconds? I think I've had that once myself. Not bothered by it though..

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Guys please stay on topic. If you have something constructive to say, great, if not, move along.

I hope that your problem doesn't persist but if it does you're covered.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Do you have a video of this event? It's doubtful anyone here can help you if you have a genuine technical fault. Call up Sony tech support, or go to the retailer and get a replacement.

Saying something is loud or twice as loud is pretty subjective a lot of people won't believe you unless you provide video evidence, due to the recent avalanche of Microsoft astroturfers faking non existent PS4 "issues" and "complaints" plaguing forums and YT comments all over the internet [This is now their main negative marketing campaign-they have farms of astroturfers sharing a few PS4s in each farm].

You need video evidence at least, even if it is just to smooth the replacement process when you contact Sony to demonstrate the exact problem.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotGamer901 View Post
    So yesterday I get home from work and I turn on my ps4 and was surprised by an unusually loud sound coming from the disc drive. It was apparently reading the battlefield 4 disc that was inserted, however it was at least twice as loud as its normally been. I let it go thinking (or more like hoping) it was just a one time deal. However, I get home tonight after a 13 hour workday and it just did it and I'm really worried, scared, pissed. Can anyone shed some light as to what's happening?

Have you ejected it and reinserted, it could be held in place slightly wrong.

PSN ID
    epiksol
    While I cannot offer any advice to fixing your issue, I can however, share a similar story.

I was at Gamestop for the night of the midnight launch for PS4 to pick up my console. It was 11:55PM, and the first 10 people were already in the store ready to pickup our consoles; I was number five.

While waiting, I can see in the back room and the mountain of PS4s they had ready to go. The girl that works there gave the green light to start handing out consoles. The first two console they gave out were good, but I noticed that the third console's box had a dent in the corner (as if it's been dropped).

Seeing this, I started saying right away that I did not want a box with a dent in it. Of course, when they hand me my PS4 there was a dent in the corner. I told them I did not want it and tried to give it to the guy behind me. I knew I was probably coming off like a jerk, but understandably so–right?

The Gamestop employee said I had to take that one since our receipts were tied to the serial numbers of the console they were handing us (they were numbered)– fine. I reluctantly decided to take it.

When I got home, I did my grand unboxing and all of that good stuff. I took out all of the accessories and then the console and then the PS4. Hooked everything up and all was well... or was it?

I proceeded to play that night when my family was sleeping and there was not a creature stirring. I popped in Assassin's Creed (Killzone was downloading from PSN) and let it do its thing. It's what happened next that shocked me.

When the PS4 started spooling up the disc it sounded lock a jet engine taking off (ok, maybe not that bad but it was LOUD). I immediately chalked it up to the PS4 just having a loud disc drive. I literally even stopped playing Assassin's Creed and opted for Resogun instead so I wouldn't wake up the fam (I live in a loft where the upstairs bedroom doesn't have a door).

After a bit of Resogun, I decided to check out the console a little more to make sure it was seated properly with the desk it was on. Sure enough, I spotted it. There was a small crack on the front bottom left of the console. I was immediately bummed out. My jerk instincts to complain about not getting a dented box was not in vain! I decided to wait until morning and contact Gamestop and maybe, just maybe they'd have an extra to replace it with.

The next morning I called them as soon as they opened. They indeed had two left and agreed to replace my busted unit; they were actually very very nice about it. I drove over to the store and exchanged the console.

After hooking that one up and popping in Assassin's Creed, guess what I heard? Nothing. I could very slightly hear the spooling of the disc– if the room was dead silent. I tested it at night when everyone was asleep again and it was the same thing. I could still barely hear the drive.

TL;DR; My conclusion to all of this? Check your PS4 box. Is there a dent anywhere on it? If so, it may have been dropped and something could have gotten knocked loose, namely the BluRay Drive.

In your case, since it has not been 30 days yet, I would not settle for anything less than an exchange of your unit. This early into the game you should not be experiencing any issues with your machine. The only hassle that comes with this is you'll be forced to re-download everything onto your new PS4's HDD.

I hope this helps!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    As for people not believing me due to fake posts about problems, the people who have been here know me and where my allegiances lie so that's pointless. As for the last post, that would make sense. I had a dent in my box as well. However, I've put quite a few hours on it and the sound never happened until after I upgraded my stock HDD. And even then, it didn't do it directly after. Say, 2-3 days after. And I can't really tell if its the disc or not because that's the only disc I own. The rest of my games are digital

PSN ID
    epiksol
    Are you still having this issue? If so, what did you decide to do?

Like I said before, I highly recommend you have it exchanged as soon as you can.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    It was not sitting flat

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    KnotGamer can you somehow make a like .wave file or something so we can hear it? mine makes sound only when the game is loading but it isn't overly loud, at least to me....

Apprentice

Mine is loud when loading games but shuts up finally once I get playing, doesn't really seem to be an issue.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotGamer901 View Post
    It was not sitting flat

You obviously have a Samsung Galaxy S4 from your 'Tapatalk - Sig'. Why don't you record and post the PS4 making the sound so those of us can hear it and post our thoughts on what the issue may be.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    I know guys I was going to but since that was numerously suggested it hasn't done it anymore. Not once. I took the advice that was given and cut up a mouse pad and placed in all four corners and it hasn't done it since

Thread Information