Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice

Thinking about getting into PC gaming...

Though i'm not completely sure how I would go about building it myself. (Which I would prefer to do.)

So, is there a good resource out on the net where I would be able to see how to build a computer (Steps wise.) and what parts work best together and such?

Thanks

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yes, right here! You can looks anywhere and find different guides, but they'll always be outdated in some way or not have the exact information you need. It's an iterative process of learning where you learn best with direct communication with other PC gamers. Just state your budget/what exactly you want and we'll walk you through the steps and suggest parts.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

3. Likes PS4THEWIN likes this post
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Yes, right here! You can looks anywhere and find different guides, but they'll always be outdated in some way or not have the exact information you need. It's an iterative process of learning where you learn best with direct communication with other PC gamers. Just state your budget/what exactly you want and we'll walk you through the steps and suggest parts.
    Thanks! I'm looking to get a better visual experience for games once the multiplats stop being cross-gen and really get into next gen. Along with PC exclusives.

Since i'll be selling my current laptop and a few other items. I think I can budget to about $1000-1400.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    www.newegg.com is good for getting parts, usually got good deals and I once ruined my power supply on accident and they exchanged it with no problems.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4THEWIN View Post
    Thanks! I'm looking to get a better visual experience for games once the multiplats stop being cross-gen and really get into next gen. Along with PC exclusives.

Since i'll be selling my current laptop and a few other items. I think I can budget to about $1000-1400.
    Oh, then congratulations. You can build yourself an excellent gaming rig that will easily last you years at that price. I need to know a little bit more first before we can move on to part selection:

1) Do you need a new monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc?
    2) Do you need an OS?
    3) How much do you already know about building a PC?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Forum Sage
    You're in the right place man as rapture has said we'd need to know if you'll need a monitor/speakers/keyboard and mouse but even with all that you'll be able to build a good PC.

Recently built my friend his first gaming PC which was built around an i5, sapphire OC'd R280x and 8Gb RAM along with a 144Hz monitor, windows 8, Razer mouse and a ducky mechanical keyboard for less than 1500 all
    In and he's been maxing out easily. Plus I think parts are cheaper in the US so should be right up your route.

I think a R280x and an i5 will be more than enough for someone just starting to play games on PC.

Just be prepared to start getting labeled as a PC elitist once you after getting used to the finer things in gaming. You'll become a snob and start to demand things from console games that aren't possible. Tis the nature of the beast

Forum Sage
    So i was bored and knocked this up...

Saphire R280X Toxic GPU $400
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202044

Intel i5 4760k $239
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116899

MSI 1150 Motherboard - $149
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130693

Antec 900 case - $109
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129021

G-Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz RAM 8GB - $78
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231567

Corsair 750w modular PSU - $89
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139051

Samsung pro-series ssd 128gb -$129
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147192

WD 500gb HDD $62
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136497

Windows 8.1 - $119
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416712

Asus dvd burner - $19
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135204

Total $1393

All at Newegg, I don't know of other american computer websites so not sure if there are cheaper places.

I've assumed you have a keyboard/mouse you can use for the time being and if need be you can connect it to your TV via HDMI so you wont need a monitor or speakers to begin with.

It will be worth familiarising your self with Linus on YouTube. Very informative videos and usually does the best unboxing and hardware reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips

9. Likes John25 likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    In my opinion there's not really a point in getting an SSD. I know the bootup and speed of Windows is nice, but they're still too expensive for the dollars paid. He can always buy one once they become cheaper in the next year or two. I'd also search for cheaper parts in the other components (not the CPU obviously). Here's my suggestions:

EVGA GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 - 500$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130942

Intel Core i5-4670K - 240$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tel-_-19116899

ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150 Intel Z87 - 130$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 - 115$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231615

Why not the OEM 64-bit of Windows 7? - 99$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416776

Thermaltake 750W ATX 12V 2.380 PLUS GOLD Certified - 80$ (47% off)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153170

Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s - 65$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA2W00YU4026

LITE-ON DVD Burner - 17$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106289

Total: 1,246$. This leaves enough for the case and shipping. Choosing the case is a very personal thing, so I've left it up to him.

+ Higher quality PSU
    + Twice the HDD space
    + Twice the RAM
    + Slightly faster RAM

- Not sure if the GTX 780 is worth it over the R280X. Benchmarks between the two seem to go either way depending on the game.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Forum Sage
    Personally i wouldn't live without a SSD after using one in both my desktop and my laptop. But that's just me. Speed matters and if that means I can be using my PC in as little as 10 seconds then it's perfect. Again, it depends on what the end user wants I want and value speed so that is why I chose to include a SSD

Also, I always advise against having only 1 form of storage in your system and I am a firm believer of having your OS on its own SSD/HDD. Even in my laptop I removed the DVD drive just so i could put in another HDD for my OS to live on.

The R280X i chose, the Saphire Toxic version, is actually very comparable to with a vanilla GTX780 at 1920x1080 and considering it is $100 cheaper, that is a decent saving.

I didn't look around for other components, literally slapped it together in a matter of minutes. Personally I only use Corsair PSUs so that was the only place I looked. Typically i only use Corsair RAM as well but it tends to cost a bit more. Yes, i coukd've put in 16GB but 8GB is more than enough, for now.

RAM speed isn't worth paying extra for. It literally makes 0 difference to gaming.

Now, Windows 8. I have it on my current gaming rig. I've been using it for the past several months and I can tell you that it is better to Windows 7 in every single way. I've not had one single problem with it. If you dislike the metro start screen then just download Classic Shell and it behaves just like Windows 7 just quicker and with the stability of Windows 8. If you are building a new computer today there is absolutely no reason to stick with Windows 7 over Windows 8. Plus if he wants any of the benefits that MS will force customers to use Windows 8, such as DX11.1 then he needs it.
    As someone who uses both Windows 8 and Windows 7 ultimate edition at home and Windows 7 and Server 2012 at work I can honestly say there is no reason not to move onto Windows 8. At all.

so while he can pick up bits for cheaper or decide to not go for SSD that is just my very quick knock up of a decent entry to PC gaming.

I woild switch to the motherboard you selected as that is actually the one i put in my friends new build last week. I was actually very impressed with the R280x Toxic edition. in terms of price/performance it's quite hard to beat - in the UK at least.
    Last edited by BBK..; 12-11-2013 at 13:32.

Friendship is Carrots
    No need to justify the parts you selected. I understand how it is. Choosing parts for this guy is very much an iterative and collaborative process. I just believe SSD's are still too pricy (right now) for what they really offer, and also that 8GB of RAM is starting to become tight when multitasking programs (which his PC will be perfectly designed for). It'll be nice to have as far as future-proofing goes, or if he ever dips into heavy non-gaming applications.

I do have to stress that PSU, though. It's a higher quality build from a perfectly trustworthy brand, and right now it's cheaper. When you have a 150$ PSU that's gold certified staring at you with an 80$ price tag, you gotta bite. It's a great offer.

Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    500 / 400 = 1.25
    59.4 / 48.8 = 1.217

You're right. Going by this benchmark, at 1080p, the GTX 780 is not worth the extra 100$ (in dollar to performance ratio). And that ratio seems to dissolve further as you go higher in resolution. But it's still generally faster, and the option is there for him. The R280X would be satisfactory though, and he could always use that leftover 100$ for something else. In fact, the winter sales are coming up.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 12-11-2013 at 14:09.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Forum Sage
    Updated post with more benchmarks.

I agree, the one i selected was only Bronze (however as I said, Personally I'm a corsair guy) so your one is better it's just I didn't look in at any other brand as i don't have experience with other brands. I've always used and will continue to use Corsair ones. my AX1200i has been nothing but perfect. Can't even hear it and it's powering my WC loop, GTX780 SC and an OC'd i7 3970K

I'd definitely switch to the one you chose, if price is an object.

RAMs bit up in the air at the moment. I have 16GB of 1866Mhz Corsair ram but when playing BF4, running Team Speak and having several tabs of chrome open I've never seen it go past 6GB. If he can find 16GB kits at a decent price then definitely go for it. I was just doing it purely from a price point perspective. Am i happy I have 16GB? Yup. Have I actually needed that much? not really.

Though I am debating putting in another 16GB so I can make 16GB RAMDisk to play around with

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    instead of Buying SSD's ,he could get SSHD's which are basically the same price as Standard Hard Drives but claim to have SSD performance while keeping the Memory size of HDD's

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by John25 View Post
    instead of Buying SSD's ,he could get SSHD's which are basically the same price as Standard Hard Drives but claim to have SSD performance while keeping the Memory size of HDD's

But Welcome to The Real Gaming World PS4THEWIN!!!!

16. Likes PS4THEWIN, BBK.. likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    ehh, I'll write it myself.

Get a PC technician toolkit from Microcenter/NewEgg, etc.
    Be sure to get static straps.
    Google Static Strap.

Consider:
    Have you a light and cautious touch? Yes is good.
    Do you just keep on tightening things till it stops turning ? Yes is Bad.
    Can you recognize when instructions dont' match the situation, and look up the right answer? Yes is good.
    Will you read EVERY DETAIL AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS? Yes is good.
    Are you ready to lose the cost of the motherboard and processor because you were wrong? Yes is the only answer, don't build if not>

So, see the above.
    You need to become versed in Power Supply Units, (PSUs) Processor Sockets and Chipsets, Cores, Multi Threading vs HyperThreadding, PCI Express...

I would review the hardware section of Anandtech and Toms Hardware, there are always wonderful guides over there.

The most powerful gaming system you could build today for the money is something like this:

Intel I7 4770k
    16+gb of RAM
    Hard Drive Capacity of your choice, weighing costs and speed.
    The ADVANTAGE of having an Solid State Drive over a Hard Disc Drive as your boot drive is that not only does the operating system start faster, but Direct X libraries load faster and your main Pagefile in windows will be on the SSD, which has MUCH FASTER read and write access than the HDD. This lets game memory performance expand and contract more smoothly.
    JUST having a Hybrid Drive will NOT yield the pagefile performance gains.

Video Card: This is the performance crown of any PC gaming system. Basically, many people would swear by Nvidia for superior driver updates, Nvidia also has a new refresh rate technology for monitors which you could consider for future monitor purchases. Nvidia also has a pseudo 3D standard for PC's as well. I have both Nvidia and AMD video cards, both systems are very stable. Price performance usually goes to AMD.

Monitor. You CAN now find PC Monitors running above 60htz, in the 90, 120 and 144htz ranges. The last 2 are 3D monitors but in non 3D mode run at that speed as well. If you OVER INDULGE in your graphics card and Pair it with such a monitor, you are in smoooth as butter framerate territory and can gain an advantage over some players through the tech.
    Regardless, try to get an IPS panel as it has very desirable properties, i swear by LG in the PC world.
    Last edited by John Willaford; 12-11-2013 at 14:47.

Forum Sage
    But Welcome to The Real Gaming World PS4THEWIN!!!!
    Oh indeed! Ever seen a PC gamer being proud to play a game at 900p or 30fps?

Good right up (other) John.

Though I'd disagree with your last part. While IPS screens give nicer colours I wouldn't dare give up the higher 120Hz refresh rate of my Asus TN panel. As I've said countless times. Once you go 120Hz+ it is hard to go back to 60Hz. I wish, so hard, that the monitor gods will release a 2560x1440 120Hz screen. I'd snap one up in a heart beat.

Personally I think 120Hz is more important to gaming than 2560x1440. Though it depends what types of games you play. if you play MMO's or Strategy games I imagine the extra space would be ideal. I play shooters so i tend to prefer fast response times.
    Last edited by BBK..; 12-11-2013 at 15:05.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    My home made anti static device.

20. Likes John25 likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    I agree, the one i selected was only Bronze (however as I said, Personally I'm a corsair guy) so your one is better it's just I didn't look in at any other brand as i don't have experience with other brands. I've always used and will continue to use Corsair ones. my AX1200i has been nothing but perfect. Can't even hear it and it's powering my WC loop, GTX780 SC and an OC'd i7 3970K
    I have a Corsair PSU too (650Watt, can't remember what exact type). It's totally quiet and dependable. In fact, I've thought about OCing my GTX 570 lately to squeeze out a little extra performance.

RAMs bit up in the air at the moment. I have 16GB of 1866Mhz Corsair ram but when playing BF4, running Team Speak and having several tabs of chrome open I've never seen it go past 6GB. If he can find 16GB kits at a decent price then definitely go for it. I was just doing it purely from a price point perspective. Am i happy I have 16GB? Yup. Have I actually needed that much? Not really.
    Well, that is why I said 'non-gaming applications'. Maybe I'm just a multitasker at heart. I normally have 100+ tabs of Firefox open with folders, windows media player, Skype, Steam, a game, and usually at least one image editor (Photoshop, SAI, or Illustrator) open with one or two projects loaded up (each at 7680 x 4320 pixels in size)... I think my 2500k has spoiled me.

Point is, I use up my 8Gb pretty easily at times. Some days I'm sitting in the 5-7GB range. I can only see that increasing in the coming years.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Supreme Veteran
    My current 8GB cost me 35 about 2 years ago, today the exact same amount and make (Corsair XMS3) costs double that.

If there is a need for it then yes,. buy it, if not no point wasting an extra 100 dollars or so for something you might need in the future.
    RAM isn't hard to install and hopefully it will drop in price like hard drives did after the flood disasters.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-11-2013 at 16:44.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post

And you can use it to magnetize your tools at the same time!

Forum Sage
    I have a Corsair PSU too (650Watt, can't remember what exact type). It's totally quiet and dependable. In fact, I've thought about OCing my GTX 570 lately to squeeze out a little extra performance.

Well, that is why I said 'non-gaming applications'. Maybe I'm just a multitasker at heart. I normally have 100+ tabs of Firefox open with folders, windows media player, Skype, Steam, a game, and usually at least one image editor (Photoshop, SAI, or Illustrator) open with one or two projects loaded up (each at 7680 x 4320 pixels in size)... I think my 2500k has spoiled me.

Point is, I use up my 8Gb pretty easily at times. Some days I'm sitting in the 5-7GB range. I can only see that increasing in the coming years.
    I've got a lot of time for Corsair products. My SP2500 speakers died recently and they were out of warranty but Corsair paid for shipping back of my old ones and sent me brand new ones without any hesitation. I really appreciate that kind of consumer support. Then again I have Corsair Ram, PSU, Case and Speakers

Jesus! 100 tabs!?!?! I don't think I know 100 websites. I typically only have 10 tabs at the very most!

Apprentice
    Oh, then congratulations. You can build yourself an excellent gaming rig that will easily last you years at that price. I need to know a little bit more first before we can move on to part selection:

1) Do you need a new monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc?
    2) Do you need an OS?
    3) How much do you already know about building a PC?
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. I'm decently literate when it comes to knowing what each part does but I'm still quite a novice when it comes to putting it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elite Sage

lol What size Earth is that 6mm2 ??

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    And you can use it to magnetize your tools at the same time!
    Copper isn't magnetic

lol What size Earth is that 6mm2 ??
    Yes its 6mm.

I made it a few years ago, I never used it. I think I binned it. I just knew I had a pic of it n my photobucket account.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4THEWIN View Post
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. I'm decently literate when it comes to knowing what each part does but I'm still quite a novice when it comes to putting it all together.
    OK, then that's going to make the budget a little tighter. I would recommend something general, like a 24" 1080p monitor (probably something from Acer), a cheap buckling spring keyboard for about 20$, a 15-20$ wired mouse, and 30-50$ 2.0 or 2.1 speakers. That would work perfectly fine. But there's higher quality stuff available if you want to spend the extra crash (such as mechanical keyboards).

For now, go pick out what kind of monitor and case you want. If we roll the hardware back to 8GB and the R280X then the budget should hold.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Dedicated Member
    Copper isn't magnetic

Yes its 6mm.

I made it a few years ago, I never used it. I think I binned it. I just knew I had a pic of it n my photobucket account.
    Wrap your arm up in a tesla coil plugged into a wall, see how it works, lol.

Thread Information