Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Elite Member
    LM-93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cleethorpes
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    8,001 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica

    War Thunder, Warframe and Blacklight: Retribution.

    What are everyones general thoughts on these free titles?
    I haven't done an excessive amount of research into them I'm kinda just impulsively deciding whether or not to download them.
    I hear that they're extremely buggy with horrid servers, Warframe especially.
    Is it even worth the hassle of downloading? Or are any of them absolute must-have titles...

    (DCUO wasn't mentioned in this f2p title post because I already have it and my hero is aaaaaaaaawesome.)

    PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

  2. #2
    Chocolatier to the Stars
    TidalPhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Posts
    11,721
    Rep Power
    117
    Points
    15,185 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    War Thunder -awesome (IMHO)
    War Frame - complex and a bit samey but still worth a try. Huge progression and upgrade system.
    Blacklight - I quite enjoyed this. Fast paced FPS fun with a some uniqueness.

    All of them are worth giving a go. War a Thunder is my favourite though.

    ​aka Sparc

    Entropy isn't what it used be

  3. #3
    Master Guru
    darky89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the bushes.
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,998
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    97,871 (0 Banked)
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Haven't played War Thunder, but have a little the other two. I enjoyed what I played, and considering they're free, may as well download them.

    Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

  4. #4
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,305
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    17,876 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    WarThunder - My favourite of the bunch, all of the planes feel different, they all fire differently and the controls work really nicely indeed. I'm quite amazed out how accurate the joysticks were.
    Warframe - Great for a quick jump in for an hour or less just to kill things. It's a bit of a grind to get any of the decent stuff but the further you get into the game the better it gets.
    DCUO - A very good fun action based MMO that is quite different compared to everything else and plays differently too. If you prefer action over standing still to cast then you'll like this.
    Blacklight - Buggy mess in every sense of the word. Tried playing it several times but it's heavily laggy, multi clipping issues with geometry, crazy amount of falling through the floor, and I've also walked through walls on some occasions.

    When Planetside 2 comes out then things are going to change.

  5. #5
    Elite Member
    LM-93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cleethorpes
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    8,001 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    WarThunder - My favourite of the bunch, all of the planes feel different, they all fire differently and the controls work really nicely indeed. I'm quite amazed out how accurate the joysticks were.
    Warframe - Great for a quick jump in for an hour or less just to kill things. It's a bit of a grind to get any of the decent stuff but the further you get into the game the better it gets.
    DCUO - A very good fun action based MMO that is quite different compared to everything else and plays differently too. If you prefer action over standing still to cast then you'll like this.
    Blacklight - Buggy mess in every sense of the word. Tried playing it several times but it's heavily laggy, multi clipping issues with geometry, crazy amount of falling through the floor, and I've also walked through walls on some occasions.

    When Planetside 2 comes out then things are going to change.
    Was the first planetside a F2P on PS3? I recall playing a game where the characters were like the Sand People from Tattooine in Star Wars, but the map was a snowy one, and you could get into two legged tank things, much like the Metal Gear Solid Gekko.
    If so when is that due for release? I thought that was a fantastic game!

    Also thanks for your help guys I'll probably go for War Thunder and Warframe and leave Blacklight until its fixed.

    PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

  6. #6
    Apprentice
    Effekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Age
    22
    Posts
    346
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    5,521 (0 Banked)
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    I've only got to play Blacklight so far, and honestly it is buggy, but I haven't experienced falling through the floor or going through walls at all. Just some lag issues really which is common for a game still in beta, other than that it's enjoyable in my opinion.

  7. #7
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,532
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    58,057 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Planetside released 10 years ago and was only on PC.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-13-2013 at 01:06.

  8. #8
    Elite Member
    LM-93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cleethorpes
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    8,001 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica
    Oh dear, reading that post made me very quickly realise it was Lost Planet.

    Never played Planetside, never been a huge PC gamer, only ever did the basics of Sims, C+C, AofE, Stronghold and FM.

    PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

  9. #9
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,532
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    58,057 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I never played Planetside 1 either. Wasn't much a PC gamer back then.

  10. #10
    Elite Member
    LM-93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cleethorpes
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    8,001 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I never played Planetside 1 either. Wasn't much a PC gamer back then.
    Just did abit of browsing and it looks awesome.
    Apparently running automatically at the PC's 'ultra' setting. Looks quite nice, wasn't a huge HALO fan but this looks as though I'd really enjoy it.
    With regards to how massive the multiplayer is gonna be, is there a figure? Most I've seen on PS4 so far is BF4's 64 player online, is it going to be matching or topping that?
    Looks fun.

    PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

  11. #11
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,305
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    17,876 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I never played Planetside 1 either. Wasn't much a PC gamer back then.
    Planetside 2 does play slightly differently but back then Planetside 1 was simply amazing.

    The largest battle I was a part of involved more than 1200 people around a single base. It was a key position on the map and there were about 40 cloaking tanks hiding a shed load of tanks, troops, troop carriers, planes, bombers and more. We all set a time for when we thought the best opportunity was to take the base and all cloaking tanks removed their device and all around the base everyone moved into to the centre. All you could then see were hundreds of the other faction on top of the walls and such trying to fight back - the entire battle lasted for over 3 hours!!! Massive lag fest back then on a 56k modem but goodness me was it a moment I'll never forget and goes down as my favourite gaming moment in history, absolutely epic.

    Planetside 2 hasn't quite got that massive feel to it yet as the game doesn't want to work properly on my rig for some reason but when the PS4 version releases I am most definitely going to spend a lot of time on it.

  12. #12
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,532
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    58,057 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Planetside 2 does play slightly differently but back then Planetside 1 was simply amazing.

    The largest battle I was a part of involved more than 1200 people around a single base. It was a key position on the map and there were about 40 cloaking tanks hiding a shed load of tanks, troops, troop carriers, planes, bombers and more. We all set a time for when we thought the best opportunity was to take the base and all cloaking tanks removed their device and all around the base everyone moved into to the centre. All you could then see were hundreds of the other faction on top of the walls and such trying to fight back - the entire battle lasted for over 3 hours!!! Massive lag fest back then on a 56k modem but goodness me was it a moment I'll never forget and goes down as my favourite gaming moment in history, absolutely epic.

    Planetside 2 hasn't quite got that massive feel to it yet as the game doesn't want to work properly on my rig for some reason but when the PS4 version releases I am most definitely going to spend a lot of time on it.
    Seems to work much better for me since I got an Intel CPU, with my Pjhenom 2 even with it clocked to 3,7Ghz I had to turn all settings to low to get a decent 60FPS frame rate. But now with this i5 I can max it out at what seems 60FPS or there abouts. Not tried measuring it it but it doesn't look choppy like it did on my other system when on ultra.

  13. #13
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    128
    Rep Power
    11
    Points
    1,348 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by LM-93 View Post
    Just did abit of browsing and it looks awesome.
    Apparently running automatically at the PC's 'ultra' setting. Looks quite nice, wasn't a huge HALO fan but this looks as though I'd really enjoy it.
    With regards to how massive the multiplayer is gonna be, is there a figure? Most I've seen on PS4 so far is BF4's 64 player online, is it going to be matching or topping that?
    Looks fun.
    As far as I know it's a couple of thousand people spread over 3 territories but would be interested as too how many actually take part in the game you play or it's just whoever is in your territory or if it's split into different maps within them

  14. #14
    Elite Member
    LM-93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cleethorpes
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    8,001 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica
    Quote Originally Posted by dj1979 View Post
    As far as I know it's a couple of thousand people spread over 3 territories but would be interested as too how many actually take part in the game you play or it's just whoever is in your territory or if it's split into different maps within them
    I can't see each territory being a stand alone server in that case, probably each territory will be split into multiple servers, thus making you chose where you'd rather play I guess.
    Can't see a PS4 server handling thousands of gamers,
    BF4 struggles on occasion with 64.
    That being said, that game is riddled with bugs, so I'm pretty sure a functioning title would be able to run that amount of gamers fairly smoothly.

    PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

  15. #15
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,532
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    58,057 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by LM-93 View Post
    I can't see each territory being a stand alone server in that case, probably each territory will be split into multiple servers, thus making you chose where you'd rather play I guess.
    Can't see a PS4 server handling thousands of gamers,
    BF4 struggles on occasion with 64.
    That being said, that game is riddled with bugs, so I'm pretty sure a functioning title would be able to run that amount of gamers fairly smoothly.
    For PC There are 9 servers world wide. All servers have all factions and territories but players on different servers cannot play with each other.
    Not sure on the specs of the servers but I imagine they are many times more powerful in CPU than a PS4 and my PC.

    I play on Ceres.

    Australia
    Briiggs

    Europe
    Ceres
    Cobalt
    Miller
    Woodman

    US East
    Mattherson
    Waterson

    US West
    Connery
    Helios

    Last edited by keefy; 12-14-2013 at 02:06.

  16. #16
    Elite Member
    LM-93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cleethorpes
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    8,001 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica
    Hope the PS4 can handle it to be able to keep that format, such huge servers would be awesome!

    PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

  17. #17
    Racing Game Fanatic
    Duffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Posts
    6,182
    Rep Power
    33
    Points
    185,055 (0 Banked)
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I was wondering whether Blacklight was any good, anybody shed any light on it?
    PSN ID: gold106gti

    Twitter ID: Duffman1986

    My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming



  18. #18
    Superior Member
    bariton1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Berlin
    PSN ID
    barit
    Age
    32
    Posts
    626
    Rep Power
    62
    Points
    6,610 (0 Banked)
    Warframe got me. Itīs really fun game if you want to play a cool ninja in space with crazy moves. At the beginning itīs a little bit complex but when u get into it it will hook you up. I have almost managed to build my first own Warframe without any need to buy platinum for real money. Only credits and materials during grinding are necessary and i love that.

  19. #19
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    165
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I've played Warframe and enjoyed it. I'll wait till Blacklight gets fixed before I bother downloading it.

  20. #20
    Ancient
    TGO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    purgatory
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10,501
    Rep Power
    99
    Points
    12,727 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I played them but, meh

    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

    "Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

  21. #21
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,100
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    144,707 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm not into any of them right now. All deleted. Takin' up my hdd space.




  22. #22
    Trying not to break stuff...
    DarkVincent07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    22
    Posts
    17,306
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    47,752 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I thought id really be into warframe. I wasn't.
    I barely play MP games nowadays and f2p doesn't really interest me

  23. #23
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,100
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    144,707 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah, it's the f2p aspect that turns me off really.




  24. #24
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,532
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    58,057 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    There are some horrible douchebags in Planetside 2. After seeign this thread I thought I would have a game.
    I jumped in a vehicle that landed it took off few a few hundred metres then landed and wouldn't move, I can only assume its because he didn't want who ever got in the craft to get out, I dunno.

  25. #25
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    128
    Rep Power
    11
    Points
    1,348 (0 Banked)
    Been playing Warframe and warthunder and I must say both are good Warframe so far is just a run and gun but enjoyable warthunder is a bit more tricky but very enjoyable and I can see more effort for reward in it

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.