Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Cliff Bleszinski wants to make a PC arena-based FPS

Gears of War and Unreal Tournament creator Cliff Bleszinski is hoping to make an arena-based first-person shooter on PC.t?

The legendary developer expressed this desire on the Pointless podcast. "I have a slide deck, I have a pitch, I have concept art, I know pretty much what I want to do," Bleszinski said. "It will be a PC experience that will hearken back to a certain type of game that we cut our teeth on."

When asked what genre it would be, Bleszinski replied, "first-person shooter. It's in my DNA." Elsewhere in the interview he stated, "I don't ever want to make a game that has a cutscene or a scripted sequence in it ever again."
    As far as who he'll make this mystery game with or how many people it will require, Bleszinski said, "It will require a studio. As much as I'm impressed with No Man's Sky, that's four people. They're going to be bleeding out of their eyeballs to get that thing done."

He made it clear that while he still liked a lot of people at Epic, he would never go back there. "What I want to do is something that is familiar, yet different. I don't want to work with the old guard, per se... The last thing i need is some marketing guy saying, 'Well, traditionally this doesn't sell well.'"

"They're all rearward-looking, and it just drives me f****** bats***," he complained. On that note, he also critiqued the direction the genre has gone in, saying, "A lot of these kids playing Call of Duty- I don't think they know what a proper arena shooter is."
    Source

This would make my day! I've been dying for a new UT that wasn't made with consoles in mind. The last UT was a massive disappointment and I am blaming that solely on the PS3/360 wanting to get in on the action. Controllers just are too inferior to Mouse and Keyboard for shooters so they had to slow down the gameplay.

Let me pick up my Enforcer, Flak Cannon, Shock Rifle, Redeemer, Sniper Rifle and of course the red Instagib shock rifle again. Bring back the arena based shooters that required genuine skill!

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Funny thing is those sounds are known as "Quake sounds" in games like Counter strike and team fortress 2. They are used with plugins and the plugin maker labelled them up wrong and its stuck ever since.

some say that games like Unreal and Quake do not need tactics and it is all run and gun.

starts about 3:50
    Last edited by keefy; 12-12-2013 at 12:38.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I think this type of games is history, the concept will still be the same old one, the graphical representation of the game is going to be the only (new) thing if such a game would be developed.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Funny thing is those sounds are known as "Quake sounds" in games like Counter strike and team fortress 2. They are used with plugins and the plugin maker labelled them up wrong and its stuck ever since.

some say that games like Unreal and Quake do not need tactics and it is all run and gun.

starts about 3:50
    Essentially they are right, it is very much run and gun. But it's obviously more than that. When to use which weapon, the map route, weapon pick ups and so on. Plus it's not as simple as it is in CoD, BF or any other current shooter where you move a lot slower and can't jump around. These types of games rely heavily on a good and quick aim and the ability to follow a target.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    I think this type of games is history, the concept will still be the same old one, the graphical representation of the game is going to be the only (new) thing if such a game would be developed.
    That's exactly what I want. Hell, they can do a HD update to UT99 and i'd pay full price for it. The gameplay in these games are untouchable.

All I need to say is DM-Deck16 and CTF-Facing words. If you played the games you'd know that those two maps would be all you ever need. Maybe chuck in Instagib ib Morpheus as well for good measure.

Yet to find a game that had me as hooked for as long as UT99 did.
    Last edited by BBK..; 12-12-2013 at 13:02.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Sweet would love a new PC only unrealTourney That takes advantage of high spec setups

Veteran
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    All I need to say is DM-Deck16 and CTF-Facing words. If you played the games you'd know that those two maps would be all you ever need. Maybe chuck in Instagib ib Morpheus as well for good measure.

Yet to find a game that had me as hooked for as long as UT99 did.
    Toss in the mod RocketArena and you'll have the best Arena based FPS ever.

Forum Sage

Never tried that mod. CTF on Lava Giant and Hall of The Giants also deserve honourable mentions. Always with Instagib though. Always.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    ITs more commonly known as a Quake mod, Quake live has it but its in clan arena mode.

2 teams
    All start with all weapons, full health and full armour
    no self damage or team damage
    Pickups do not spawn in maps (health, armour, ammo)
    Once dead you spectate until the round ends (like in Counter strike)

Its quite good but I prefer Freezetag as a team game.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-12-2013 at 15:20.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Thread Information