Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Loyal-to-LFC & DaveNI1979
    Items PS3 SlimLiverpool
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post

Glad to hear directly plugged in worked out to full speed.
    HomePlug is a great tech, but, sometimes i needs to be reset.
    It's constantly scanning to know what noise cancelling algorithms to apply via the signal noise patterns it sees on the electrical wire. Your christmas lights could be wreaking havoc with that a little bit, maybe something like a 'pattern storm' , that's not an official term.
    Can you tell me the model number of your HomePlugs so I can look them up?
    Also, are your cables Cat 5 or Cat 5e? VERY cheap (i doubt it) cables could be limiting you to around 10Mbit.
    Also, a poorly cut and crimped DIY cable could be to blame, no offense intended. I've done bad ones myself, find out when you test them.
    Also any nicks/crimps/cuts in the shield of a wire can harm it's throughput.
    Im still testing away here and its nearly 5am now. The model number of the homeplugs are NL-HP200DL. I tried a reset and tests on laptop are perfect, it says im connected at 100mbps lan speed. Ps4 is still around 12-13mbps on the homeplugs. Last week I was getting 17 or higher in the ps4 network test. Also tried multiple ethernet cables. Ive been trying to find a program that allows you to find out the actual throughput speed you transfer data at on the homeplugs. I expect this isnt the full 100mbps it says im connected at, but should be able to stay up with my 21mb connection at least.

Dedicated Member
    Properly implemented HomePlug at 200Mb/s rating should throughput about 40Mb/s normally, 60 under the best conditions. It still kicks wireless and most ISP feeds in the butt.

This is a good reminder to keep handy
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...-network-speed

Speeds will vary PER OUTLET in the house, even in the same room.

Are you plugged into the SAME outlets with the HomePlugs as you were before?

Are the Christmas tree lights plugged into a surge suppressor and into the other outlet in that outlet pair?
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Items PS3 SlimLiverpool
    Christmas tree lights arnt plugged in tonight, I thought it a good chance to put the home plugs back in test things out. Im about fed up with the home plugs now to be honest, I cant figure it out, how come on laptop there is no speed difference. Ive tried different wall outlets, im about done. Still only getting about 13mbps on the ps4. I have just ordered a 30m cat5e ethernet cable on ebay and will run that outside and down to the router room, theres a hole already in wall that I could use from a old satellite tv installation.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNI1979 View Post
    Christmas tree lights arnt plugged in tonight, I thought it a good chance to put the home plugs back in test things out. Im about fed up with the home plugs now to be honest, I cant figure it out, how come on laptop there is no speed difference. Ive tried different wall outlets, im about done. Still only getting about 13mbps on the ps4. I have just ordered a 30m cat5e ethernet cable on ebay and will run that outside and down to the router room, theres a hole already in wall that I could use from a old satellite tv installation.

I'm going to have your setup by monday.
    My Monster HP will be plugged back in by then AND the Christmass tree will be plugged into the same room, though the socket next to that one. I'll see if my benchmarks differ.
    I was Al Capone
    away once more
    Crazy

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Items PS3 SlimLiverpool
    No need to do that but thanks, I think my homeplugs are knackered just. Im getting better speed on wifi now than them. My dad says he will help me set up the cable, I got a 27metre cable for 3.60. Thats about $4.50 dollars. Might as well go that way then I know ill be on best I can get.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNI1979 View Post
    No need to do that but thanks, I think my homeplugs are knackered just. Im getting better speed on wifi now than them. My dad says he will help me set up the cable, I got a 27metre cable for 3.60. Thats about $4.50 dollars. Might as well go that way then I know ill be on best I can get.

Understood, just make sure you use some weather resistant cable channel/conduit and seal it on the outside walls if your running it out and up.

Refer back to Keefy's example in post 20.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...=1#post6264724
    I was Al Capone
    away once more
    Crazy

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Items PS3 SlimLiverpool
    Think were going go down a different route now. We have an old BEAM central vacuum system in the house, it has 2inch pipes throughout the house and where the router is just above that there is a tube that has been cut off that runs to upstairs. I can hopefully run the cable down this tubing and not have to put cable outside. Cant believe I didnt think of it before. The central vacuum unit hasnt been used for years so might as well make use of the left over ready made ducting! I might even run a few cables up it. Hopefully all works out, thanks for your help once again.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

You might want to invest in a fish tape to make you job easier. Tryign to push an Ethernet down a pipe even with gravity on your side isn't going to be easy, it could get snagged and start coiling up specially on the bends.

use this to push down the hose then attach the Ethernet to it using electrical tape and pull through.

Plastic with spring
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/cable-flex-draw-tape/75807

There is a steel version too but it might be a bit stiff and poke a hole in the hose
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/spring-steel-fish-tape/67849

Are the pipes flexible or solid plastic/metal? Never seen on of these systems.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-15-2013 at 00:33.

9. Likes John Willaford likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Items PS3 SlimLiverpool
    My dad is really good with stuff like this, and has all the tools required im sure as he is a plumber by trade but works as a maintenance fitter in a big factory.

The pipes are solid plastic, he seems to thing the best way to go would be straight from ps4 room up to attic then across to the hot press room thats near top of the stairs, thats where the pipes for the vacuum system is and it goes down to 2 different outlets, one pops out beside where the router is now , cable will be well hidden and be a great job. He wants me to test cable just down the stairs first to make sure its working good on ps4 before he helps me do the rest of it.

The beam system has a stationary vacuum in utility room, and various outlets around the house, 4 I think in total, then you just use a hose and plug it into a outlet and all stuff is sucked to the unit in the utility room. We got it when this house was built in 1988 was revolutionary for that time. But for some reason it wasnt used and eventually the central unit got removed and just the pipes are left now.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Items PS3 SlimLiverpool
    Just a little update for those guys that helped me, 27metre ethernet cable came in post today, have it running up the stairs temporary to ps4 for the time being just. Tried a html5 speedtest on ps4 called www.bandwidthplace.com and getting 19.5mbps 42ms ping. Laptop on the ethernet got 20.8mbps and 41ms ping. Will take another week or so before bt's dlm is reset on my connection and the ping goes down to like it was before at 29ms. Also timed 100MB download on ps4 store, took 41seconds. That translates at 20mbps approx, so near enough my full speed of 21mbps. Very happy with that. If anyone reading this having problems with wifi i suggest if it all possible to try to run ethernet, its well worth it.

Thread Information