Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Forum Sage
    The Sith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    7,537
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    15,295 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

    Windows update could unify PC and Xbox One.


    uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

  2. #2
    Apprentice
    A1ANDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Yorkshire
    PSN ID
    ANDYENG
    Posts
    201
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    3,120 (0 Banked)
    That would be crazy. Who buy multiplatform games on xbox when you could buy them cheaper from steam?

  3. #3
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    17
    Points
    7,913 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    could be, but one of the points of steam box is to rid microsoft of that dreaded windows 8 and to introduce more gaming into the linux world. I'm sure this will be a case of more internet capabilities into the Xbox and using Microsoft software such as word and stuff like that. If they are trying to rid of steambox, that's silly because now they will have to introduce all their games including Xbox exclusives to linux.

    I think this may be more to do with developers than anything else, still doesn't take away the fact that Windows 8 sucks and they are still pushing that horrid OS. Not a lot of developers like it.

  4. #4
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,004
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    43,886 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    could be, but one of the points of steam box is to rid microsoft of that dreaded windows 8 and to introduce more gaming into the linux world. I'm sure this will be a case of more internet capabilities into the Xbox and using Microsoft software such as word and stuff like that. If they are trying to rid of steambox, that's silly because now they will have to introduce all their games including Xbox exclusives to linux.

    I think this may be more to do with developers than anything else, still doesn't take away the fact that Windows 8 sucks and they are still pushing that horrid OS. Not a lot of developers like it.

    ZOMG, the dreaded windows 8. Give it a break man. The sales numbers don't match your claims.

  5. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
  6. #5
    Elite Sage
    BBK..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    10,053
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    43,903 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah... Windows 8 is fine. After using it for several months on my gaming Desktop I fail to see what is wrong with it.

    What is so horrible about Windows 8 that I clearly keep missing?
    Last edited by BBK..; 12-13-2013 at 14:08.

  7. #6
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,122
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,835 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I was a loud voice against Win 8. I've had it on my iMac for a couple months now, and I don't have an issue with it at all.




  8. #7
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,446
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    69,222 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I was a loud voice against Win 8. I've had it on my iMac for a couple months now, and I don't have an issue with it at all.
    I've heard 8.1 was a big improvement, but I haven't tried it. 8.0 was a horrible piece of crap, imo. I reinstalled 7 (this was before 8.1) in Parallels on my Mac and haven't looked back.
    Last edited by Christopher; 12-13-2013 at 14:43.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  9. #8
    Elite Sage
    BBK..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    10,053
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    43,903 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I was a loud voice against Win 8. I've had it on my iMac for a couple months now, and I don't have an issue with it at all.
    I was the same. I said it was a POS before I had it and even tried it myself, I just jumped onto the hate wagon. After I did a bit of my own research and spoke to people who I know personally that used it I decided to get it and I don't have a problem with it at all. it's an improvement over W7 in my eyes. the 10 second boot time alone makes it worth it. Boots a good 15-20 seconds faster than my edition of Windows 7 on a SSD.

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I've heard 8.1 was a big improvement, but I haven't tried it. 8.0 was a horrible piece of crap, imo. I reinstalled 7 (this was before 8.1) in Parallels on my Mac and haven't looked back.
    What didn't you like about Windows 8?

    I haven't even bothered updating to 8.1 just yet. Though i might do it later when i get home as it keeps reminding me to do so.

    I have to give credit to PBM for telling me but all you need to do is download Classic Shell, for free, and it is completely like Windows 7. I can't remember the last time I saw the metro interface. Which, might i add, i find quite helpful for launching apps.
    Last edited by BBK..; 12-13-2013 at 14:54.

  10. #9
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    17
    Points
    7,913 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    ZOMG, the dreaded windows 8. Give it a break man. The sales numbers don't match your claims.
    I don't like it, so deal with it. also many developers have a problem with windows 8. A lot of developers complained about it. Windows 8 being sold is also accounted for in other units as well, phones, tablets, PC's from bestbuy and walmart, etc etc. Stop being so butthurt off of people not liking your precious Windows 8. I've read your history on here and have seen you go off on this factor alone. deal with it or drop it.

    I also like how you just point out certain parts of my post to reply to but leave out the rest. debate it or don't bother posting dribbling rubbish. The OS sucks, deal with it.

    if you like windows for PC gaming, more power to you.

    I have windows 8 on another PC in my house and it's crap in terms of gaming. don't use it much and am going to reinstall windows 7 which is much better. just something windows 8 fans will have to deal with.

    Sales numbers. ROFL

  11. #10
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    15,804
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    82,223 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    The OS sucks, deal with it.
    Does it? Windows 8 statistically runs faster than Windows 7 in both general use and gaming. There have been some technical issues, but last I checked they're mostly sorted out now. I'm not seeing the problem here.
    Add me on Steam!


    [Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

  12. #11
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,122
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,835 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    I don't like it, so deal with it. also many developers have a problem with windows 8. A lot of developers complained about it. Windows 8 being sold is also accounted for in other units as well, phones, tablets, PC's from bestbuy and walmart, etc etc. Stop being so butthurt off of people not liking your precious Windows 8. I've read your history on here and have seen you go off on this factor alone. deal with it or drop it.

    I also like how you just point out certain parts of my post to reply to but leave out the rest. debate it or don't bother posting dribbling rubbish. The OS sucks, deal with it.

    if you like windows for PC gaming, more power to you.

    I have windows 8 on another PC in my house and it's crap in terms of gaming. don't use it much and am going to reinstall windows 7 which is much better. just something windows 8 fans will have to deal with.

    Sales numbers. ROFL
    How is it better? I'm not saying it is or isn't. I haven't done much looking into it. I haven't had any problems with gaming on Win 8, compared to having Win 7 on the other three PC's in the house. Just haven't noticed any difference here.




  13. #12
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,971
    Rep Power
    60
    Points
    28,649 (0 Banked)
    not had a problem at all with win8 (should i say win8.1), runs all my STEAM games (260 @ last count) no bother and while i don't have a problem with the tiles, i usually just go straight to the desktop and really just use it as i did past versions of windows.

  14. #13
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,446
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    69,222 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    I was the same. I said it was a POS before I had it and even tried it myself, I just jumped onto the hate wagon. After I did a bit of my own research and spoke to people who I know personally that used it I decided to get it and I don't have a problem with it at all. it's an improvement over W7 in my eyes. the 10 second boot time alone makes it worth it. Boots a good 15-20 seconds faster than my edition of Windows 7 on a SSD.



    What didn't you like about Windows 8?

    I haven't even bothered updating to 8.1 just yet. Though i might do it later when i get home as it keeps reminding me to do so.

    I have to give credit to PBM for telling me but all you need to do is download Classic Shell, for free, and it is completely like Windows 7. I can't remember the last time I saw the metro interface. Which, might i add, i find quite helpful for launching apps.
    Yeah, I used Classic Shell and it was a huge improvement. I gave up on Windows 8 when MS said I wasn't eligible for upgrade to 8.1. Have no idea why. I paid for the Windows 8 upgrade. There were a lot of little things, but I would have to fire up 8 to remind myself of everything that bothered me. But I don't have 8 anymore. I just thought 7 had the best interface of any windows. But yeah....not being able to upgrade was the final straw.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    not had a problem at all with win8 (should i say win8.1), runs all my STEAM games (260 @ last count) no bother and while i don't have a problem with the tiles, i usually just go straight to the desktop and really just use it as i did past versions of windows.
    My coworker, who hated 8 as much as me, had great things to say about 8.1.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  15. #14
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    3,462,332 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah, I used Classic Shell and it was a huge improvement. I gave up on Windows 8 when MS said I wasn't eligible for upgrade to 8.1. Have no idea why. I paid for the Windows 8 upgrade. There were a lot of little things, but I would have to fire up 8 to remind myself of everything that bothered me. But I don't have 8 anymore. I just thought 7 had the best interface of any windows. But yeah....not being able to upgrade was the final straw.
    that is odd.. i thought everyone could use the 8.1 update... i had trouble installing it, but it was because my PC and Surface needed a 8.0 update before it would accept the 8.1 update

  16. #15
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,446
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    69,222 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    that is odd.. i thought everyone could use the 8.1 update... i had trouble installing it, but it was because my PC and Surface needed a 8.0 update before it would accept the 8.1 update
    Yeah, I don't know what the deal was there. I didn't pursue it because I was ready to trash 8 anyway, but after hearing about the improvements.....kind of wish I had.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  17. #16
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    3,462,332 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah, I don't know what the deal was there. I didn't pursue it because I was ready to trash 8 anyway, but after hearing about the improvements.....kind of wish I had.

    i can still pass on Win8.. but for my Surface it isn't bad. Just don't care for it on PC's

  18. #17
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,936
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    63,461 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It will be about more Xbox games on windows than windows games on Xbox.

    That way Microsoft and the publisher get their cuts of the money.


    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Yeah... Windows 8 is fine. After using it for several months on my gaming Desktop I fail to see what is wrong with it.

    What is so horrible about Windows 8 that I clearly keep missing?
    ITs even better with a touch screen.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-13-2013 at 21:24.

  19. #18
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,483
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    80,276 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I've heard 8.1 was a big improvement, but I haven't tried it. 8.0 was a horrible piece of crap, imo. I reinstalled 7 (this was before 8.1) in Parallels on my Mac and haven't looked back.
    8.1 is so much better than 8.0. I have Windows 8.1 on my Surface tablet, and my laptop. I love it on my tablet, but really do not care for it on my laptop. Windows 7 is still the best OS since XP.

  20. #19
    Banned

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    930
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    11,608 (0 Banked)
    Well I use Win 7 and prefer it from an interface point of view, but classic shell works great on my mother's new laptop. Still uses classic shell even after the 8.1 update.

    Other than the metro interface default of win 8 which is it's main target for haters, it seems to boot up much faster than my win 7. I'll upgrade some day.

    What I didn't like and it's because of previous windows experience is, when I updated my mother's computer to 8.1 (she's not very computer savvy, so I always get the call to stop by and fix things for her), I had to go out to some update app to do it as opposed to simply doing it in the windows updater in the control panel. No big deal... but I found the extra step odd.

  21. #20
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,936
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    63,461 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Well I use Win 7 and prefer it from an interface point of view, but classic shell works great on my mother's new laptop. Still uses classic shell even after the 8.1 update.

    Other than the metro interface default of win 8 which is it's main target for haters, it seems to boot up much faster than my win 7. I'll upgrade some day.

    What I didn't like and it's because of previous windows experience is, when I updated my mother's computer to 8.1 (she's not very computer savvy, so I always get the call to stop by and fix things for her), I had to go out to some update app to do it as opposed to simply doing it in the windows updater in the control panel. No big deal... but I found the extra step odd.
    Thats weird, didnt have to do that for my parents laptop, just used the built in update center.

  22. #21
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    108,860 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    ZOMG, the dreaded windows 8. Give it a break man. The sales numbers don't match your claims.
    It takes alot of spin to characterize Windows 8 as anything more than a 'mild' success. Given the market share MS enjoys sales are expected, but there's been ample criticism and controversy surrounding it and the uptake has been considerably slower than prior operating systems put out by the company.


  23. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
  24. #22
    Banned

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    930
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    11,608 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Thats weird, didnt have to do that for my parents laptop, just used the built in update center.
    I just did research as to what I did. It wasn't an app. I had to go to the Windows Store to get it which is a tile in windows 8. It wasn't available through the normal Windows Update method.

    Here's a short video of how ....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9jB9WHjXok
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 12-13-2013 at 23:48.

  25. #23
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    17
    Points
    7,913 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Does it? Windows 8 statistically runs faster than Windows 7 in both general use and gaming. There have been some technical issues, but last I checked they're mostly sorted out now. I'm not seeing the problem here.
    I haven't had that experience at all. I'll wait to see how it goes with windows 9. until that happens, people can stick up for windows 8 all they want, but they won't change my mind on it since I have used it and still do from time to time until I decide to install windows 7 again.

  26. #24
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,936
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    63,461 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    I just did research as to what I did. It wasn't an app. I had to go to the Windows Store to get it which is a tile in windows 8. It wasn't available through the normal Windows Update method.

    Here's a short video of how ....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9jB9WHjXok
    Ah yes its jogged my memory, you had t physically seek it out rather thn auto update.

  27. #25
    Forum Elder
    Venger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Posts
    2,670
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    2,897 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    My parents got the free windows 8 upgrade with their laptop but found it so completely unusable that they went out and bought a windows 7 disc and got Microsoft tech support to walk them through the painstaking removal process so they could go back to 7. This was well before the 8.1 update admittedly. I had to switch to macs for work years ago and honestly haven't looked back.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.