Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Windows update could unify PC and Xbox One.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ANDYENG
    That would be crazy. Who buy multiplatform games on xbox when you could buy them cheaper from steam?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    could be, but one of the points of steam box is to rid microsoft of that dreaded windows 8 and to introduce more gaming into the linux world. I'm sure this will be a case of more internet capabilities into the Xbox and using Microsoft software such as word and stuff like that. If they are trying to rid of steambox, that's silly because now they will have to introduce all their games including Xbox exclusives to linux.

I think this may be more to do with developers than anything else, still doesn't take away the fact that Windows 8 sucks and they are still pushing that horrid OS. Not a lot of developers like it.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    could be, but one of the points of steam box is to rid microsoft of that dreaded windows 8 and to introduce more gaming into the linux world. I'm sure this will be a case of more internet capabilities into the Xbox and using Microsoft software such as word and stuff like that. If they are trying to rid of steambox, that's silly because now they will have to introduce all their games including Xbox exclusives to linux.

I think this may be more to do with developers than anything else, still doesn't take away the fact that Windows 8 sucks and they are still pushing that horrid OS. Not a lot of developers like it.

ZOMG, the dreaded windows 8. Give it a break man. The sales numbers don't match your claims.

5. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah... Windows 8 is fine. After using it for several months on my gaming Desktop I fail to see what is wrong with it.

What is so horrible about Windows 8 that I clearly keep missing?
    Last edited by BBK..; 12-13-2013 at 14:08.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I was a loud voice against Win 8. I've had it on my iMac for a couple months now, and I don't have an issue with it at all.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I was a loud voice against Win 8. I've had it on my iMac for a couple months now, and I don't have an issue with it at all.
    I've heard 8.1 was a big improvement, but I haven't tried it. 8.0 was a horrible piece of crap, imo. I reinstalled 7 (this was before 8.1) in Parallels on my Mac and haven't looked back.
    Last edited by Christopher; 12-13-2013 at 14:43.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I was the same. I said it was a POS before I had it and even tried it myself, I just jumped onto the hate wagon. After I did a bit of my own research and spoke to people who I know personally that used it I decided to get it and I don't have a problem with it at all. it's an improvement over W7 in my eyes. the 10 second boot time alone makes it worth it. Boots a good 15-20 seconds faster than my edition of Windows 7 on a SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I've heard 8.1 was a big improvement, but I haven't tried it. 8.0 was a horrible piece of crap, imo. I reinstalled 7 (this was before 8.1) in Parallels on my Mac and haven't looked back.
    What didn't you like about Windows 8?

I haven't even bothered updating to 8.1 just yet. Though i might do it later when i get home as it keeps reminding me to do so.

I have to give credit to PBM for telling me but all you need to do is download Classic Shell, for free, and it is completely like Windows 7. I can't remember the last time I saw the metro interface. Which, might i add, i find quite helpful for launching apps.
    Last edited by BBK..; 12-13-2013 at 14:54.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    ZOMG, the dreaded windows 8. Give it a break man. The sales numbers don't match your claims.
    I don't like it, so deal with it. also many developers have a problem with windows 8. A lot of developers complained about it. Windows 8 being sold is also accounted for in other units as well, phones, tablets, PC's from bestbuy and walmart, etc etc. Stop being so butthurt off of people not liking your precious Windows 8. I've read your history on here and have seen you go off on this factor alone. deal with it or drop it.

I also like how you just point out certain parts of my post to reply to but leave out the rest. debate it or don't bother posting dribbling rubbish. The OS sucks, deal with it.

if you like windows for PC gaming, more power to you.

I have windows 8 on another PC in my house and it's crap in terms of gaming. don't use it much and am going to reinstall windows 7 which is much better. just something windows 8 fans will have to deal with.

Sales numbers. ROFL

Friendship is Carrots
    The OS sucks, deal with it.
    Does it? Windows 8 statistically runs faster than Windows 7 in both general use and gaming. There have been some technical issues, but last I checked they're mostly sorted out now. I'm not seeing the problem here.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I don't like it, so deal with it. also many developers have a problem with windows 8. A lot of developers complained about it. Windows 8 being sold is also accounted for in other units as well, phones, tablets, PC's from bestbuy and walmart, etc etc. Stop being so butthurt off of people not liking your precious Windows 8. I've read your history on here and have seen you go off on this factor alone. deal with it or drop it.

I also like how you just point out certain parts of my post to reply to but leave out the rest. debate it or don't bother posting dribbling rubbish. The OS sucks, deal with it.

if you like windows for PC gaming, more power to you.

I have windows 8 on another PC in my house and it's crap in terms of gaming. don't use it much and am going to reinstall windows 7 which is much better. just something windows 8 fans will have to deal with.

Sales numbers. ROFL
    How is it better? I'm not saying it is or isn't. I haven't done much looking into it. I haven't had any problems with gaming on Win 8, compared to having Win 7 on the other three PC's in the house. Just haven't noticed any difference here.

Forum Elder
    not had a problem at all with win8 (should i say win8.1), runs all my STEAM games (260 @ last count) no bother and while i don't have a problem with the tiles, i usually just go straight to the desktop and really just use it as i did past versions of windows.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    I was the same. I said it was a POS before I had it and even tried it myself, I just jumped onto the hate wagon. After I did a bit of my own research and spoke to people who I know personally that used it I decided to get it and I don't have a problem with it at all. it's an improvement over W7 in my eyes. the 10 second boot time alone makes it worth it. Boots a good 15-20 seconds faster than my edition of Windows 7 on a SSD.

What didn't you like about Windows 8?

I haven't even bothered updating to 8.1 just yet. Though i might do it later when i get home as it keeps reminding me to do so.

I have to give credit to PBM for telling me but all you need to do is download Classic Shell, for free, and it is completely like Windows 7. I can't remember the last time I saw the metro interface. Which, might i add, i find quite helpful for launching apps.
    Yeah, I used Classic Shell and it was a huge improvement. I gave up on Windows 8 when MS said I wasn't eligible for upgrade to 8.1. Have no idea why. I paid for the Windows 8 upgrade. There were a lot of little things, but I would have to fire up 8 to remind myself of everything that bothered me. But I don't have 8 anymore. I just thought 7 had the best interface of any windows. But yeah....not being able to upgrade was the final straw.

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    not had a problem at all with win8 (should i say win8.1), runs all my STEAM games (260 @ last count) no bother and while i don't have a problem with the tiles, i usually just go straight to the desktop and really just use it as i did past versions of windows.
    My coworker, who hated 8 as much as me, had great things to say about 8.1.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Yeah, I used Classic Shell and it was a huge improvement. I gave up on Windows 8 when MS said I wasn't eligible for upgrade to 8.1. Have no idea why. I paid for the Windows 8 upgrade. There were a lot of little things, but I would have to fire up 8 to remind myself of everything that bothered me. But I don't have 8 anymore. I just thought 7 had the best interface of any windows. But yeah....not being able to upgrade was the final straw.
    that is odd.. i thought everyone could use the 8.1 update... i had trouble installing it, but it was because my PC and Surface needed a 8.0 update before it would accept the 8.1 update

Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    that is odd.. i thought everyone could use the 8.1 update... i had trouble installing it, but it was because my PC and Surface needed a 8.0 update before it would accept the 8.1 update
    Yeah, I don't know what the deal was there. I didn't pursue it because I was ready to trash 8 anyway, but after hearing about the improvements.....kind of wish I had.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Yeah, I don't know what the deal was there. I didn't pursue it because I was ready to trash 8 anyway, but after hearing about the improvements.....kind of wish I had.

i can still pass on Win8.. but for my Surface it isn't bad. Just don't care for it on PC's

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    It will be about more Xbox games on windows than windows games on Xbox.

That way Microsoft and the publisher get their cuts of the money.

Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Yeah... Windows 8 is fine. After using it for several months on my gaming Desktop I fail to see what is wrong with it.

What is so horrible about Windows 8 that I clearly keep missing?
    ITs even better with a touch screen.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-13-2013 at 21:24.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    8.1 is so much better than 8.0. I have Windows 8.1 on my Surface tablet, and my laptop. I love it on my tablet, but really do not care for it on my laptop. Windows 7 is still the best OS since XP.

Superior Member
    Well I use Win 7 and prefer it from an interface point of view, but classic shell works great on my mother's new laptop. Still uses classic shell even after the 8.1 update.

Other than the metro interface default of win 8 which is it's main target for haters, it seems to boot up much faster than my win 7. I'll upgrade some day.

What I didn't like and it's because of previous windows experience is, when I updated my mother's computer to 8.1 (she's not very computer savvy, so I always get the call to stop by and fix things for her), I had to go out to some update app to do it as opposed to simply doing it in the windows updater in the control panel. No big deal... but I found the extra step odd.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Well I use Win 7 and prefer it from an interface point of view, but classic shell works great on my mother's new laptop. Still uses classic shell even after the 8.1 update.

Other than the metro interface default of win 8 which is it's main target for haters, it seems to boot up much faster than my win 7. I'll upgrade some day.

What I didn't like and it's because of previous windows experience is, when I updated my mother's computer to 8.1 (she's not very computer savvy, so I always get the call to stop by and fix things for her), I had to go out to some update app to do it as opposed to simply doing it in the windows updater in the control panel. No big deal... but I found the extra step odd.
    Thats weird, didnt have to do that for my parents laptop, just used the built in update center.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    It takes alot of spin to characterize Windows 8 as anything more than a 'mild' success. Given the market share MS enjoys sales are expected, but there's been ample criticism and controversy surrounding it and the uptake has been considerably slower than prior operating systems put out by the company.

23. Likes Morganator likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Thats weird, didnt have to do that for my parents laptop, just used the built in update center.
    I just did research as to what I did. It wasn't an app. I had to go to the Windows Store to get it which is a tile in windows 8. It wasn't available through the normal Windows Update method.

Here's a short video of how ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9jB9WHjXok
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 12-13-2013 at 23:48.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Does it? Windows 8 statistically runs faster than Windows 7 in both general use and gaming. There have been some technical issues, but last I checked they're mostly sorted out now. I'm not seeing the problem here.
    I haven't had that experience at all. I'll wait to see how it goes with windows 9. until that happens, people can stick up for windows 8 all they want, but they won't change my mind on it since I have used it and still do from time to time until I decide to install windows 7 again.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    I just did research as to what I did. It wasn't an app. I had to go to the Windows Store to get it which is a tile in windows 8. It wasn't available through the normal Windows Update method.

Here's a short video of how ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9jB9WHjXok
    Ah yes its jogged my memory, you had t physically seek it out rather thn auto update.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    My parents got the free windows 8 upgrade with their laptop but found it so completely unusable that they went out and bought a windows 7 disc and got Microsoft tech support to walk them through the painstaking removal process so they could go back to 7. This was well before the 8.1 update admittedly. I had to switch to macs for work years ago and honestly haven't looked back.

Thread Information