Latest PSU headlines:

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Opinion: PS Vita deserves more games like Tearaway, fewer console ports

http://www.psu.com/a022020/Opinion--...-console-ports

Many PS Vita owners have spent the holidays playing Tearaway, enjoying some of the best gameplay Sony's handheld has to offer. For readers yet to play it, the demo comes highly recommended, as does the full game. Hopefully, the critical success of Media Molecule’s latest serves as a call to action to other PS Vita developers—if the system is going to realize its potential, it needs more games that make use of its unique capabilities. This is not to see more games need be like Tearaway, necessarily—simply that more games should be idiomatic to PS Vita as opposed to other consoles.PS Vita is an extremely powerful system, but it is never going to replace home consoles, nor should it be trying to do so. Though many are looking forward to seeing how Borderlands 2 runs on a portable system, a port of a 2012 console shooter is unlikely to inspire many people to take PS Vita any more or less seriously as a competitor to Nintendo 3DS. Yes, PS Vita is vastly more powerful, but putting a console title on a portable system doesn’t convey anything that the majority of gamers don’t already know.
    In addition, gamers who want to play console-grade titles on PS Vita can do just that via PlayStation 4’s Remote Play. The connection isn’t ideal outside of the house, but for many genres of games, streaming lag doesn't diminish the experience. Cross-Play and Cross-Buy are wonderful features, as well, but like Remote Play, they push PS Vita away from its identity as an independent console; instead, these features move the system closer to being an expensive accessory for PS4. While it indeed functions well in that role, it's capable of a lot more.

Tearaway sends a different message. As one of the year's best games, it declares very competently that PS Vita has unique experiences—things that no one can find on PlayStation 4, and perhaps more importantly, things that no one can find on 3DS. It offers justification for the rear touchpad as more than a substitute for missing shoulder buttons.
    It should come as no surprise that when many people talk about PS Vita, a system-defining game often mentioned is Gravity Rush, which makes extensive use of both the gyroscope and the touchscreen without sacrificing difficulty or immersion. Making it free via PlayStation Plus was a masterstroke on Sony’s part, giving a sizable percentage of PS Vita owners a game that neatly demonstrates system capabilities that might otherwise be dismissed as casual gimmicks.
    Games like Rayman Origins (recently free on PlayStation Plus) have more function on PS Vita than they do on home consoles. Changing the camera’s zoom and using the touchscreen to grab distant Lums make the game feel much more at home on the portable system than on PS3. Similarly, Killzone: Mercenary, an FPS game that requires less latency than distant Remote Play allows, has a feature that allows players to use PS Vita’s gyroscope for fine adjustments when aiming down sight. The result is more precise aim than what an analog stick allows for, and the game is much better for it.

The announcement of a sequel to Gravity Rush is a good sign that Sony understands the kind of games that PS Vita needs: games that leverage the system's unique hardware to improve the experiences we're familiar with, while also inventing new ones. Sony’s aggressive courting of independent developers also points toward a platform with new experiences. Hopefully, some of the more established studios with greater financial resources follow suit and set out to create titles that proudly bear the PS Vita moniker. We've seen enough ports of games that function in other gaming spaces.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

2. Likes victorijapoosp wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sony's offerings don't really encourage 3rd parties either, Sony Bend better be making something big exclusive to Vita after all this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Sony's offerings don't really encourage 3rd parties either, Sony Bend better be making something big exclusive to Vita after all this time.
    I dont know how many teams Sony Bend has but i know they are making a PS4 game so if they only have 1 team then sorry to disappoint you.

RIP Oculus Rift

Superior Member
    Vita is much better than the 3DS. I bought the Zelda bundle and was quite disappointed with the design of the 3DS and how outdated it is. I mean you cannot even download in the background, really? It is a shame that third party developers don't at least make their games on both devices. The second analog is much superior to. Putting games on it would sell it obviously.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    I dont know how many teams Sony Bend has but i know they are making a PS4 game so if they only have 1 team then sorry to disappoint you.
    Well that's that then, Vitas success is all up to third parties now.
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I agree the Vita needs more of its own unique games, console ports have never really been that successful which is a shame because the Vita really should be bigger than it is! Remote play will help but Vita really does need its fair share of good games!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    Vita is much better than the 3DS. I bought the Zelda bundle and was quite disappointed with the design of the 3DS and how outdated it is. I mean you cannot even download in the background, really? It is a shame that third party developers don't at least make their games on both devices. The second analog is much superior to. Putting games on it would sell it obviously.
    The problem is, 3DS has games and Vita doesn't so it doesn't matter how much better it is.

9. Likes DarkVincent07, AaronSOLDIER wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    The problem is, 3DS has games and Vita doesn't so it doesn't matter how much better it is.
    I love my vita but this is true. Best looking games I have foe it are the ones I played through remote play.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    It definitely needs more games made for Vita, but there is a huge library of PSP and PSOne games available. I've been playing the Persona games and a couple of PS one games. Older games translate to the Vita very well. Not everyone is going to want to play old games though....I get that.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Well that's that then, Vitas success is all up to indies now.

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Nice correction lol so true.

@Chris yeah that's why I love backwards compatibility in my consoles, when there's hardly any new releases you can just go back to previous games.

yay, next gen!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    I agree about the motion sensor providing fine tune aiming in Mercenary's making it a better game, and would love to see it implemented in all console FPS's as well.
    It was first done on Uncharted with "Intuaim" and I absolutely love this aiming mechanic and cant stress enough how much I want to see it in console games using the DS4's gyro feature. It would work and feel exactly the same as the vita, and would actually give that 6 axis a good use. Ever since I got used to it in Uncharted I've felt something missing in all FPS's. Sony needs to add this as an option for all games via the UI somehow and allow it's use in any game that has aiming.
    Any one else love the "gyro aim" feature? And want to see it in console games as well?
    Last edited by TEST SUBJECT 83; 12-16-2013 at 08:13.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    TearAway is a great kids game, but for an adult its little more than a warm fuzzy feeling with little challenge.What the Vita really needs is arcade games, games like Killzone: Liberation and MotorStorm RC. Games suited to pick up and play where you always know whats going on.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Super Elite
    Fuck that. Tearaway and friends are good, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, Jak and Daxter, the MGS HD collection, Sony fucking Smash Brothers, and hopefully FFXII after FFX HD are all the bomb mother fucking diggity. Keep'em coming alongside new IPs. And hey: If Vita DID become solely a port console, then god damn, make the ports worth it. Imagine Viewtiful Joe, Kingdom Hearts, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, the .hack games (it's in the talks), Ratchet and Clank---all in the palm of your hand. Holy shit; that would be awesome. Though I love Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice, and Mercenary, too.

17. Likes victorijapoosp wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    I agree about the motion sensor providing fine tune aiming in Mercenary's making it a better game, and would love to see it implemented in all console FPS's as well.
    It was first done on Uncharted with "Intuaim" and I absolutely love this aiming mechanic and cant stress enough how much I want to see it in console games using the DS4's gyro feature. It would work and feel exactly the same as the vita, and would actually give that 6 axis a good use. Ever since I got used to it in Uncharted I've felt something missing in all FPS's. Sony needs to add this as an option for all games via the UI somehow and allow it's use in any game that has aiming.
    Any one else love the "gyro aim" feature? And want to see it in console games as well?
    Huge fan of the gyro aim. Pc guys with keyboard and mouse would fear me.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSU Technical Manager
    Nice correction lol so true.

@Chris yeah that's why I love backwards compatibility in my consoles, when there's hardly any new releases you can just go back to previous games.
    Never thought I'd miss backward compatibility, tbh. But these Vita games have given me the itch so i yanked out my PS2. Got PS2, PS3, and PS4 all hooked up to the same TV. lol.....but yeah, would be nice if one console played every games from every gen. sigh....those days are gone I'm afraid.

20. Likes victorijapoosp wishes they had posted this first.
    Superior Member
    Items User name style
    I bought the tearaway + LBP + 3g vita + 16gb card bundle from amazon last week for £149.99. Money well spent.

Currently trying to finish all the PS plus backlog before tackling tearaway.

Half way through Guacamelee - awesome game. Next is uncharted golden abyss. Then Thomas was alone. then gravity rush, velocity ultra and sine mora.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

22. Likes Christopher wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Technical Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    I bought the tearaway + LBP + 3g vita + 16gb card bundle from amazon last week for £149.99. Money well spent.

Currently trying to finish all the PS plus backlog before tackling tearaway.

Half way through Guacamelee - awesome game. Next is uncharted golden abyss. Then Thomas was alone. then gravity rush, velocity ultra and sine mora.
    Golden Abyss is pretty awesome. If you haven't played Walking Dead yet.....do so. I downloaded the Tearaway demo. Such an imaginative and clever game! Definitely on my must-buy list.

Superior Member
    Items User name style
    golden abyss in on my ps plus list but, I thought, "hmm 3.5 gb download" I can wait.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

PSN ID
    italodancemp3
    All i just want is AAA games,games the same as either PS3 or PS4 (VITA can do it we know!),more FPS/TPS games and of course horror games,PS VITA is missing that kind of style and everyone feels that lack...
    PSN: italodancemp3

Purchased Physical PSVITA Games: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster,Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus,Metal Gear Solid HD Collection,Resistance: Burning Skies,FIFA14

Purchased Digital PSVITA Games: Dead Nation,FEZ,SteamWorld Dig,Need for Speed: Most Wanted,Gunslugs,Earth Defence Force 2017 Portable,Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus,Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition,Uncharted: Golden Abyss,Dead or Alive 5 Plus,Killzone: Mercenary,Assassin's Creed III: Liberation

Veteran
    false dichotomy

Vita deserves more console ports, more original games.

Thread Information