Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I still got GTA5 to plough through (im still at the start) so i think ill have to skip this as i wont have time to play it, but im liking what im reading

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    I still got GTA5 to plough through (im still at the start) so i think ill have to skip this as i wont have time to play it, but im liking what im reading
    Shame because it really is worth a play, even if you get it when it's cheap I would still recommend a purchase!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Apprentice

Got some more upgrades for the Jackdaw last night after being warned "You may want to upgrade the Jackdaw before continuing" when I went to start sequence 8. Got a few elite plans now too just not the R to pay for them! Nearly fully upgraded the hull and broadside cannons now so have been able to take on some of the larger ships.

4. Likes Duffman likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Quote Originally Posted by pojo1806 View Post
    Got some more upgrades for the Jackdaw last night after being warned "You may want to upgrade the Jackdaw before continuing" when I went to start sequence 8. Got a few elite plans now too just not the R to pay for them! Nearly fully upgraded the hull and broadside cannons now so have been able to take on some of the larger ships.
    See now that's where I really want to be at the minute, but I am only on sequence 4 because I keep getting distracted by other things along the way

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    See now that's where I really want to be at the minute, but I am only on sequence 4 because I keep getting distracted by other things along the way
    If it wasn't for collectibles I would of finished story mode probably weeks ago. Love getting lost in the game though!

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    If it wasn't for collectibles I would of finished story mode probably weeks ago. Love getting lost in the game though!
    It's so easy to do though, every time I sail towards the mission points to start them I see something worth exploring and never end up getting there!

Apprentice

It's so easy to do though, every time I sail towards the mission points to start them I see something worth exploring and never end up getting there!
    I know the feeling! Have you tried a Legendary Ship yet? I tried one when I barely had any Jackdaw upgrades and it sailed right into me and I died.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I believe that warning is generic and it gives it to everyone even if you're mostly maxed out the ship. It actually sounds to me like you're fairly well upgraded then. I'd not worry about upgrading more before moving forward.

How's your Mortar upgrades? You may want to put some into that now, so you can take out forts. Those are fun to do and it's like a View Sync point in that once you conquer it, it exposes everything that's in that section of the map.

I was grabbing them off all the non-fast travel islands/sandbars/etc. for a while in the game, but I quit doing that early on and focused on grabbing everything from all the major locations. I've cleaned all those up, not sure if I'm going back for all the other stuff, but the OCD in me says I will.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 12-17-2013 at 15:51.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    I know the feeling! Have you tried a Legendary Ship yet? I tried one when I barely had any Jackdaw upgrades and it sailed right into me and I died.
    No not tried one of them yet, not sure I dare until I have another 2 hull upgrades!

Nearly got full health upgrades for Kenway though so I'm finding that makes fights easier!

Apprentice

No not tried one of them yet, not sure I dare until I have another 2 hull upgrades!

Nearly got full health upgrades for Kenway though so I'm finding that makes fights easier!
    That was the first thing I maxed out for Edward, deffo made the game easier in the start.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I believe that warning is generic and it gives it to everyone even if you're mostly maxed out the ship. It actually sounds to me like you're fairly well upgraded then. I'd not worry about upgrading more before moving forward.

How's your Mortar upgrades? You may want to put some into that now, so you can take out forts. Those are fun to do and it's like a View Sync point in that once you conquer it, it exposes everything that's in that section of the map.
    I have done all forts apart from the 3 "Hard" ones which I know I am probably not ready for yet! Gonna proceed with sequence 8 tonight and see what happens.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    I have done all forts apart from the 3 "Hard" ones which I know I am probably not ready for yet! Gonna proceed with sequence 8 tonight and see what happens.
    Do you get a lot of money and loot by taking over forts?

Apprentice

A few Gs money wise and not much loot at all in my experience, best for loot is just plunder ships and for money sell the sugar and rum.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    A few Gs money wise and not much loot at all in my experience, best for loot is just plunder ships and for money sell the sugar and rum.
    I found robbing warehouses gives you quite a bit of loot, robbed one yesterday and it gave me 50 metal!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Yeah, you're most definitely more than ready for Sequence 8. It should be a cake walk with your level of upgrades.

You probably could do the other 3 forts as well at this point w/o much difficulty.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I found robbing warehouses gives you quite a bit of loot, robbed one yesterday and it gave me 50 metal!
    Forts may give you a little, but you'll also open up a couple Naval contracts. That are worth a couple thousand Reales IIRC. The real money comes in when you can start building your fleet and doing runs. I can make something like 50K in a day if I use the AC4 Companion App. Not bad for only spending maybe 30mins while watching TV to do this.

Early on Assassin's Contracts, Warehouses, and paying attention to if your location is on one of the maps you have and going to grab it (grab any cadaver you see as it has a map.) You can early 4K Reales on the first location you play in the game if you pay attention.

That said, once you're on ship as mentioned, start taking on bigger and faster ships, you can earn a lot of cash and more importantly metal and wood fast which will be you biggest hindrance in upgrading the Jackdaw.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Forts may give you a little, but you'll also open up a couple Naval contracts. That are worth a couple thousand Reales IIRC. The real money comes in when you can start building your fleet and doing runs. I can make something like 50K in a day if I use the AC4 Companion App. Not bad for only spending maybe 30mins while watching TV to do this.

Early on Assassin's Contracts, Warehouses, and paying attention to if your location is on one of the maps you have and going to grab it (grab any cadaver you see as it has a map.) You can early 4K Reales on the first location you play in the game if you pay attention.

That said, once you're on ship as mentioned, start taking on bigger and faster ships, you can earn a lot of cash and more importantly metal and wood fast which will be you biggest hindrance in upgrading the Jackdaw.
    Cheers for that, looks like I will be trying to take over some forts tonight!

Apprentice

Yeah, you're most definitely more than ready for Sequence 8. It should be a cake walk with your level of upgrades.

You probably could do the other 3 forts as well at this point w/o much difficulty.
    Hmm, I might try one Hard fort tonight, my upgrades are about 65% in Armor and Weapons, until this weekend I was only at around 33%.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Hmm, I might try one Hard fort tonight, my upgrades are about 65% in Armor and Weapons, until this weekend I was only at around 33%.
    That's the point I'm at, I have been trying to find the chests though because they can give you a decent haul of cash!

Apprentice

That's the point I'm at, I have been trying to find the chests though because they can give you a decent haul of cash!
    I found once I got to around 50% it was quite easy to take out most ships, mainly been upgrading my hull, broadside cannons and storage.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    I found once I got to around 50% it was quite easy to take out most ships, mainly been upgrading my hull, broadside cannons and storage.
    It's the hull that I am really trying to get the elite upgrade for, I can't see the money being a problem just the materials are hard to find and I am finding it hard to take out the bigger ships!

Apprentice

It's the hull that I am really trying to get the elite upgrade for, I can't see the money being a problem just the materials are hard to find and I am finding it hard to take out the bigger ships!
    Yeah I know what you mean about materials! I have quite a lot of the elite plans now, just can't buy due to lack of materials in the upgrades before it! I have enough money for ALL ship upgrades and some of the elites.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Yeah I know what you mean about materials! I have quite a lot of the elite plans now, just can't buy due to lack of materials in the upgrades before it! I have enough money for ALL ship upgrades and some of the elites.
    Still I suppose it keeps you on your toes and makes the game worth playing just to make the Jackdaw the ultimate ship!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    After the first hull upgrade and broadside upgrade, (and money only upgrades to Round Shot and Heavy Shot) you should be able to easily take out Brigs w/o loosing a bar of health. Frigates you want the next round of hull and at least 13 broadsides, and you can take them out with maybe loosing a bar. Should be able to survive battles w/ a couple frigates on you and that's pretty early in the game.

If you're not aware, you can board during the middle of a battle, and you're not taking damage at that point, and then you can repair your ship (it's only a full bar repair so if you lost two full bars, you're still down one bar.)

Look for convoys as well, the usually have good stuff to take. If you got an easy target like a gunship or schooner tagging along and you're afraid of taking on the bigger ships in the convoy, then take out the little guy but don't board him. Then start fighting the bigger guy. Once you're down a bar of health, go board to repair. It's an effective strategy early in the game.

Once you get up to 65% of the hull built out, this becomes a non issue, but it's great when you only have 2-3 hull upgrades.

EDIT: I'd also recommend using your Spyglass to see what ships are carrying to go after ships with high metal and wood content. And increase your cargo hold at least one because you want be able to carry enough materials for later upgrades (it shows up in you inventory with the material count labeled in Red when it's maxed out.)
    Last edited by TAZ427; 12-17-2013 at 17:03.

Apprentice

Still I suppose it keeps you on your toes and makes the game worth playing just to make the Jackdaw the ultimate ship!
    Yeah that is true, I have in my mind settled for as long as I have all upgrades (not elite ones..) I will be happy. :P

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    After the first hull upgrade and broadside upgrade, (and money only upgrades to Round Shot and Heavy Shot) you should be able to easily take out Brigs w/o loosing a bar of health. Frigates you want the next round of hull and at least 13 broadsides, and you can take them out with maybe loosing a bar. Should be able to survive battles w/ a couple frigates on you and that's pretty early in the game.

If you're not aware, you can board during the middle of a battle, and you're not taking damage at that point, and then you can repair your ship (it's only a full bar repair so if you lost two full bars, you're still down one bar.)

Look for convoys as well, the usually have good stuff to take. If you got an easy target like a gunship or schooner tagging along and you're afraid of taking on the bigger ships in the convoy, then take out the little guy but don't board him. Then start fighting the bigger guy. Once you're down a bar of health, go board to repair. It's an effective strategy early in the game.

Once you get up to 65% of the hull built out, this becomes a non issue, but it's great when you only have 2-3 hull upgrades.
    Will have to try that strategy tonight, I always seem to get the bigger ships down to one bar of health and then end up getting sunk myself, but I didn't know you could board ships during battle so that will help me out a lot

Thread Information