Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

Project CARS Uses Xbox One eSRAM, Mitigates Some of PS4s Unified Memory Advantage.

Project CARS is one of the most impressive looking racing games out there. If you haven’t seen some of the gameplay trailers out there, then we strongly recommend checking them out. Slightly Mad Studios, the development studio behind this visual splendor is bringing the game to Steam OS, Wii U, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

We recently got in touch with the creative director of the game, Andy Tudor to ask about his thoughts on the Xbox One’s eSRAM. There has been a lot of confusion regarding its potential and whether it has any sort of an advantage compared to the PlayStation 4′s unified memory.

Andy explained that they are currently using the eSRAM for storing deferred render targets. [It is called deferred since there is no shading performed during the first pass of the vertex and pixel shaders, instead shading is "deferred" until a second pass. Read all about it here]

“Our engine uses a light pre-pass style rendering approach and after experimenting with a number of different variations we found it was more efficient to use eSRAM to hold the deferred render targets. Careful use of eSRAM like this for the various render stages mitigates some of the advantage that PS4 has with its faster unified GDDR5 memory,” he said to GamingBolt.

Project CARS was originally slated to release for the Xbox 360 and PS3. We asked Andy about the desire to bring the game to PS4 and Xbox One users, especially since the install base will still be relatively young by late 2014. He revealed that the sharing feature and the dwindling retail market as one of the reasons of bringing the gorgeous looking game on next gen consoles.

“There were a number of factors that influenced the move… firstly the power of the next-gen consoles allows the game to be showcased as it was ‘meant it to be seen’, the pipeline and architecture of the new machines makes the development process easier, we see the sharing features on both consoles as being extremely engaging for players, the ability to self-publish is appealing, retail space for last-gen games will slowly dwindle over the next year, and also given our timeline for launch there’ll be a better balance of the number of people out there in the mindset for next-gen gaming compared to those still playing their existing consoles. So overall there were a number of contributing arguments that indicated it was the right move to make,” he explained.

http://gamingbolt.com/project-cars-uses-xbox-one-esram-for-deferred-render-targets-careful-us

Dedicated Member
    Mynd?
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Read the entire thing, just to throw that out there. It mitigates some but that some is unkown. very vague to the point it really isn't putting a plus on the Xbox One side of things and the conclusion is that it's helping out DDR3 which is what it's suppose to do. If people think that the ESRAM is some magical graphical advantage for the Xbox One, you are sorely mistaken. Performance wise, it will help DDR3 and some tasks that will work well with ESRAM. I just don't think it was worth it. Don't get me wrong, the fact they used DDR3 and ESRAM, that part was worth it, the Xbox one needs that little extra boost but other than that. very meh.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 12-15-2013 at 18:48.

4. Likes Malt, mistercrow likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Old news for those that payed attention.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

6. Likes mynd likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    Read the entire thing, just to throw that out there. It mitigates some but that some is unkown. very vague to the point it really isn't putting a plus on the Xbox One side of things and the conclusion is that it's helping out DDR3 which is what it's suppose to do. If people think that the ESRAM is some magical graphical advantage for the Xbox One, you are sorely mistaken. Performance wise, it will help DDR3 and some tasks that will work well with ESRAM. I just don't think it was worth it. Don't get me wrong, the fact they used DDR3 and ESRAM, that part was worth it, the Xbox one needs that little extra boost but other than that. very meh.
    Yep, mitigates SOME so obviously not all. And isnt it DDR4 that Xbone uses not DDR3?

PSU Technical Advisor
    DDR3 Crow.

Basically the ESRAM does its job of trying to cover for the shortcomings of the memory set up in the Xbox One, but isn't exactly as optimal as having one giant large pool of fast memory.

9. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Pretty sure all launch titles for the one used esram to mitigate some of ps4's advantages

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Pretty sure all launch titles for the one used esram to mitigate some of ps4's advantages

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    They had no choice. If they hadn't we'd be seeing some games that are just atrociously bottle necked, there's no way they could really scrape by with just the bandwidth from the DDR3 memory.

Every Xbox One title uses the Esram. Efficiently? Most probably not, it's still early yet.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    DDR3 Crow. Basically the ESRAM does its job of trying to cover for the shortcomings of the memory set up in the Xbox One, but isn't exactly as optimal as having one giant large pool of fast memory.
    Wow I didnt know that. Thanks for the info.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    DDR3 is quicker than GDDR5, but every other sector has PS4 ahead.
    Don't go expecing a vome from behind graphical advantage, both system are quite close in many ways.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    DDR3 is quicker than GDDR5...
    Yeah....Gonna need a bit more info there. Quicker in what way are you claiming?

In relation to the article, Thats exactly what the eSRAM should/needs to be used for. The more important information that is missing is how many render targets there are and at what resolution.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    DDR3 is quicker than GDDR5,
    are you serious?

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

16. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    are you serious?
    GDDR5 provides faster data transfer, but DDR3 provides faster latency is what I meant. Which is the only advantage Xbox One has, ES ram doesn't count.
    Last edited by mickice; 12-16-2013 at 13:04.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yep, mitigates SOME so obviously not all. And isnt it DDR4 that Xbone uses not DDR3?
    MisterCrow , how's the Rum & Nog?
    Nah,it's always been DDR3.

GDDR5 provides faster data transfer, but DDR3 provides faster latency is what I meant. Which is the only advantage Xbox One has, ES ram doesn't count.

GDDR5 latency are actually pretty low. DDR3 latency was trash compared to DDR2, etc... it's the nature of the signaling.
    They are both about equal footing given clock speed, and the effective clock on GDDR5 is 5.5GHz on PS4, so i'll take it.
    Last edited by John Willaford; 12-16-2013 at 15:28.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    MisterCrow , how's the Rum & Nog? Nah,it's always been DDR3. GDDR5 latency are actually pretty low. DDR3 latency was trash compared to DDR2, etc... it's the nature of the signaling. They are both about equal footing given clock speed, and the effective clock on GDDR5 is 5.5GHz on PS4, so i'll take it.
    Yeah Vulgotha corrected me. Not sure how I screwed that up. lol

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Old news for those that payed attention.
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    They had no choice. If they hadn't we'd be seeing some games that are just atrociously bottle necked, there's no way they could really scrape by with just the bandwidth from the DDR3 memory.

Every Xbox One title uses the Esram. Efficiently? Most probably not, it's still early yet.
    And this.
    Nothing really to see here.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    for games GDDR5 is much faster. When you are speaking latency, you are speaking in terms of video editing/rendering which DDR3 provides in terms of latency. Not for games.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    for games GDDR5 is much faster. When you are speaking latency, you are speaking in terms of video editing/rendering which DDR3 provides in terms of latency. Not for games.
    DDR3 is better in terms of anything that requires lots of read/writes in short bursts. In terms of graphics, you tend be writing large chunks in one direction, so bandwidth is important, GDDR5 is ideal for that.
    But you wont be seeing CPU's hooking up to it anytime soon.
    Games use a mixture of both, however with such a closed box, I'm sure they can foresee and overcome any latency issues GDDR5 would cause in compute functions.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    DDR3 is better in terms of anything that requires lots of read/writes in short bursts. In terms of graphics, you tend be writing large chunks in one direction, so bandwidth is important, GDDR5 is ideal for that.
    But you wont be seeing CPU's hooking up to it anytime soon.
    Games use a mixture of both, however with such a closed box, I'm sure they can foresee and overcome any latency issues GDDR5 would cause in compute functions.
    Err.. what?
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    Err.. what?
    I don't mean simultaneously, think of latency as the time it takes to "change direction", from reading to writing.
    Or even the time it take when you ask for x memory data.
    If you are asking a lot of little memory locations, all over the place (as CPU's tend to do), then the faster that is the better.
    If your just simply dumping a whole heap of data (or reading) from location X, then bandwidth is more important.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I don't mean simultaneously, think of latency as the time it takes to "change direction", from reading to writing.
    Or even the time it take when you ask for x memory data.
    If you are asking a lot of little memory locations, all over the place (as CPU's tend to do), then the faster that is the better.
    If your just simply dumping a whole heap of data (or reading) from location X, then bandwidth is more important.
    Try not to over state this though, we went through a whole thread that started with the hyper-visor and why DDR3 would perform better at that because of the latency, to ending with the latencys between DDR3 and GDDR5 really not being that different (9 to 11 and 12 to 14 for DDR3 and GDDR5 respectively) and that a hyper-visor setup would be completely fine with GDDR memory setup.

There must be work arounds or negligible hits to performance from increased latency though, as its been happening with every new version of DDR ram with 4 probably pushing it even further. The 360 ran a pretty tight ship on GDDR3 also.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    Try not to over state this though, we went through a whole thread that started with the hyper-visor and why DDR3 would perform better at that because of the latency, to ending with the latencys between DDR3 and GDDR5 really not being that different (9 to 11 and 12 to 14 for DDR3 and GDDR5 respectively) and that a hyper-visor setup would be completely fine with GDDR memory setup.

There must be work arounds or negligible hits to performance from increased latency though, as its been happening with every new version of DDR ram with 4 probably pushing it even further. The 360 ran a pretty tight ship on GDDR3 also.
    Yeah as I said earlier, these machines are closed boxes, even if there were any significant differences, you can profile, and work around them, its really a non-issue in a closed box system.

27. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Because the PS4 uses an APU, it will benefit much more with fast RAM that the GDDR5 provides. But like I said before, for video rendering/editing and that stuff, the latency will make a small difference but for gamers, you won't notice even a percentage of a difference with the latency between DDR3 and GDDR5. Like mynd said, if it's that much of a big deal it's most likely an easy work around if that latency is somehow an issue. It really shouldn't be and if we are going to speak on behalf of latency, there are much better options than what the Xbox One provides with DDR3 anyway.

For the latency in what DDR3 provides in the Xbox One running, I doubt it's even at 9, more like 11 since it's running at 2133.

Forum Overseer
    "Careful use of eSRAM..."

Exactly, hence the problem.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    "Careful use of eSRAM..."

Exactly, hence the problem.
    Meh. Care-full use of SPU's was a far bigger issue. People worry about 32 mb, try 256kb.

Thread Information