Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Mom of Gamer needs some advice on TV hookup! Help!

Hey everyone....My son is getting a PS4 for Christmas but now tells me that the only TV connection is HDMI. His TV is not compatible. It only has the red/white/yellow hookup. Is there an adapter? Or is my only choice to get him a new TV or monitor?

The PS4 & games already cost a bundle. If I do have to buy something new, please give advice on a good display that is reasonably priced.

Thank you!!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Hi there .

No, the traditional Yellow/Red/White hookup is not compatible. And there are no adapters that I am aware of (not sure if this would be even technically possible).

IN saying that, it wouldn't be beneficial to have it outputted to that anyway (because it would not take advantage of the graphics of the PS3, let alone th ePS4).

Regarding displays, a 22inch and above monitor should be obtainable. I'm not situated in the US (or wherever you may be) but there should be plenty of people here that should be able to assist with the bargain hunting.

A common site I keep seeing is newegg, so try that.

Hope you find something, and definitely check back in with us.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Time for a new TV. Even on the cheap it's still gonna cost you a bit of money.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 970 GTX | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Get him a new tv.

However, you can buy an "adapter" that converts the HDMI signal to the composite (red/white/yellow)

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE.../dp/B008FO7PQA

5. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Forum Elder
    Are you sure it's the only hookup. Is there another set of inputs that are 5 in a row? A red, green, blue, red, white?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I wouldn't hook a ps4 to a composite only tv. It won't do it justice.

javert... PM me please.

chrisw26308, there is hookup for blue/green/red/white/red all in a row. Does that help?

F34R, I can't PM since I just joined this forum.

If I need to get a TV, is there a certain type needed to take advantage of the graphics? Or would a monitor be better?

Thanks so much for helping.....I'm not very tech-savvy when it comes to gaming...lol.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by javert2 View Post
    chrisw26308, there is hookup for blue/green/red/white/red all in a row. Does that help?

F34R, I can't PM since I just joined this forum.

If I need to get a TV, is there a certain type needed to take advantage of the graphics? Or would a monitor be better?

Thanks so much for helping.....I'm not very tech-savvy when it comes to gaming...lol.
    The "BEST" TV or monitor can be subjective - imo, I think so long as it has an HDMI port/and can do 1080p (natively) then you should be good to go with what you are willing to spend.

And by "natively", make sure it says "Full HD" on the box or something along the lines of "1920x1080".
    Be Together - Not the same.

Forum Elder
    You do need a new tv for him but if you can't get one in time their is an hdmi to composite adapter for this tv.

Is it a 1080p set

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No, I think it's 720.

One more question....does the HDMI cable come with it or do I need to buy it seperately?

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    One more question....does the HDMI cable come with it or do I need to buy it seperately?
    Ps4 comes with one... But apparently very bad quality and some have reported to have problems with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    Ps4 comes with one... But apparently very bad quality and some have reported to have problems with them.
    So what's the alternative?

Ultimate Veteran
    You can get a brand new 1080 p tv 32 inches from best buy or walmart for under 300 dollars.
    Or return the ps4 and get him a ps3.yeah don't use the Hdmi cable that came the ps4 its junk.
    How dare Sony even calling it a Hdmi cable get a 10 cable from walmart

Dedicated Member
    If there is blue, green, red in a row, it seems the tv has component input, you could try searching a hdmi to component adapter on amazon, but these adapters sometimes don't work on some tv sets because these adapters are manufactured by different vendors and they won't guarantee compatibilty with your tv set. In the long run, the better advice is to get a full hd tv, all of them coming out now have hdmi inputs. If also looking for hdmi cable, search mediabridge hdmi cable on amazon, they are fairly inexpensive and good quality. But your first task would be to get hold of a full hd (1080p) tv. Advice for the new tv would depend on your budget.

Thanks to all of you for the help. I guess I'll start shopping for a TV (sigh) and an HDMI cable.

Merry Christmas!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Thanks to all of you for the help. I guess I'll start shopping for a TV (sigh) and an HDMI cable.

Merry Christmas!
    Honestly, the HDMI cord that comes with the PS4 should be fine, theirs been some reports of it not working and what not but mine works great. So I'd hold off on that and actually try it out when your son opens it first before buying one, but if you do want to buy one anyways don't spend over $15 on them.

And yeah, you might as well get a new TV because everything is going to HDMI so in the long run you won't have to deal with it later, and there really is no point of getting the PS4 without having the full HD experience. Depending on the screen size you could pass by not spending too much. I saw some 28'' at walmart for around $180. Still spending alot of money all together, you're a generous mom lol.

Dedicated Member
    32 in TV are not terribly expensive, cheaper than the machine easily.
    HDMI cable was in the box, don't get fooled into buying an expensive cable, use that one.
    You can buy a good quality one at Home Depot or at NewEgg.com (the Amazon of the Nerd world, you can't beat for reputable).
    If your a Samsclub Member i'd go RIGHT THERE. Same with Costco or BJ's . Otherwise head to Walmart.

Best Buy and HHGregg guys are looking for their added value item sales, just skip talking to them if you shop there for the TV.

Honestly, a good Vizio from Samsclub is probably the right tv today, otherwise i'd get an LG or Panasonic for durability, Sanyo are made by Panasonic.

If you walk into a Walmart, you may find that the 32in Emerson seems to have the best picture. Yeah, I don't know why but I'll admit that point. I don't know that company's track record so skip it. To small a company to risk.

GET a 1080p set for them though, don't get the 720p. All eyes CAN make out the difference in sharpness, particularly when trying to read text on onscreen menu's and in game data panels.

What size TV did they have now?
    Last edited by John Willaford; 12-16-2013 at 06:20.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Veteran
    Welcome and kuddos for going to such lengths just to make your kid happy this Xmas as most of my fellow PSU friends here said, buying a converter would be like going backwards and we all know it ain't that easy and cheap to just buy a new TV but buying a new one should help making the most out of the new console. For the best viewing experience a 1080p and 60hz screen should do the job perfectly. You should try Amazon.com, Walmart and BestBuy since they've been offering some nice deals on TVs lately, good luck.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    As others have said, I don't think theres an adapter.

This is the TV I would get him: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/24-class-23-5-8-diag--lcd-720p-60hz-hdtv/5471992.p?id=1218650524915&skuId=5471992&st=pcmcat193400050017_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=5

If he's still young enough to enjoy stuff not caring about things being 1080p and ultra HD and all that...then this TV would be fine.

If he's older then I would get him this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/39-class-39-diag--lcd-1080p-60hz-hdtv/5061732.p?id=1218609331491&skuId=5061732&st=pcmcat193400050017_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=1

It's on sale at $100 off...and it fits the bill.

Edit: Dunno why I can't make a link to these pages...it's just Best Buy.
    Last edited by Locomotive; 12-16-2013 at 06:35.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    toxic-nightmare
    You guys do know on a 32" and below tv getting 1080p would be a waste and just increase the cost of the TV. 720p would actually be perfectly fine for a small tv. If you were going 40" or more then 1080p would be the only way to go (besides 4k [ultra hd])

and they do have adapters for all types of imputs. though a hdmi to composite would be just a sore on the eyes

| Diablo 3 battletag : Toxictemplar#1752 | PSN : Toxic-Nightmare | gamertag : Toxictemplar | Feel free to add me |

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    http://www.monoprice.com/Search?keyword=HDMI+cable

Though there not as cheap as they use to be dont go blowing a ton on a HDMI cable. You can in general get double the size of a cable from that site for the same price. I ordered all mine from them 5 years ago and they are working flawlessly still.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToXiCNiGhTMaRe View Post
    You guys do know on a 32" and below tv getting 1080p would be a waste and just increase the cost of the TV. 720p would actually be perfectly fine for a small tv. If you were going 40" or more then 1080p would be the only way to go (besides 4k [ultra hd])

and they do have adapters for all types of imputs. though a hdmi to composite would be just a sore on the eyes
    No, not at all.
    I can see the difference in a 55in 4K over 1080p on a 55in.
    It's all lame marketing BS that they human eye can see only so much detail... lol.
    All of the same marketing charts have been adjusted in favor of you buying a 4K tv at sizes of 50 and over, not 80 and over, lol.

I have 2 32in 1080p TV's and a 27in 1080p PC monitor, i see all of the details fine, even from a few feet back. Text is sharper and easier to read. The 27 is a stretch, but the 32's are great.

I do encourage Mom to buy a 39 in tv though since they are barely much more expensive, particularly at Samsclub.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Forum Overseer
    get an HDMI cable from monoprice.com it's cheap.

26. Likes HellsJester likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ToXiCNiGhTMaRe View Post

No, there is a difference.

When buying my HDTV...I bought a 720p 32inch and it looked just....bad.

Returned it and got a 1080p 32inch and it looks great. Besides....with the one I linked she can get a 1080p HDTV for relatively cheap.

Thread Information