40G Fat PS3 second YLOD, moving HDD question

Two weeks before GTA IV came out my 40g fat PS3 died, I bought a new 500g one, my friend told me about Cloud Saving and I'm pretty sure my PS3 and I'm thinking of saving the games on my new top-loading PS3 to the cloud and loading my old HDD to the new PS3, saving all THOSE saves to the cloud, then putting the 500g HDD back in and downloading all my old saves. My only problem is that I heard putting an old HDD into another PS3 wipes the old HDD. Does this still hold true? I already had the PS3 reballed (or was it reflowed, I forget) the first time, but I don't want to spend that cash again JUST to get my saves back (granted there are a TON of hours logged...). With all the updates is it now possible to put my old HDD into the new PS3 without it wiping the drive?

PSN ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    Two weeks before GTA IV came out my 40g fat PS3 died, I bought a new 500g one, my friend told me about Cloud Saving and I'm pretty sure my PS3 and I'm thinking of saving the games on my new top-loading PS3 to the cloud and loading my old HDD to the new PS3, saving all THOSE saves to the cloud, then putting the 500g HDD back in and downloading all my old saves. My only problem is that I heard putting an old HDD into another PS3 wipes the old HDD. Does this still hold true? I already had the PS3 reballed (or was it reflowed, I forget) the first time, but I don't want to spend that cash again JUST to get my saves back (granted there are a TON of hours logged...). With all the updates is it now possible to put my old HDD into the new PS3 without it wiping the drive?
    I dont see there is any problem changing old HDD to New PS3. The only thing you need to look whether all cables are inserted before you on it.

PSN ID
    xSuhported
    If you want to keep your saves moving the hdd, both playstations need to be on the same version. Say you have the old PS3 with v4.3 software, and you get a new PS3 with something lower, you should update the new PS3 via USB Flash or external storage. Then, transfer the hdd to the new ps3, turn it on and it should be just like your old ps3.

However, you want to transfer the old data to the new hard drive, so, you should get a nice external hard drive to store your information on. It's faster and safer. Once all your data is on the external drive, plug the external drive into the new ps3 and it'll move its self automatically.

Here's a nice external hdd I use:
    http://www.digistor.com/External-Har...FcxAMgod3SgA5A

Thread Information