Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Thoughts about a new IP from Naughty Dog for PS4

Two of my favorite games from Naughty Dog are Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy. Both are also designed differently, one being linear and the other more open (as well as the vastly different visual styles).

So with the talk of Sony's new console being easier to develop for and more powerful, do you think the Naughty Dog team that aren't working on the new Uncharted are working on a new IP that's open world? Or is it more likely that we'll continue to see linear experiences from Naughty Dog?
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 12-16-2013 at 18:39.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    I'd say whatever it is, it's still in the very first stages. They're still doing the Last of Us DLC. That said, there's been mummers that it's something space-based; setting doesn't bother me too much, I'll play whatever they come up with because wherever it is it's still goin' to be stunning.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    I'd say whatever it is, it's still in the very first stages. They're still doing the Last of Us DLC. That said, there's been mummers that it's something space-based; setting doesn't bother me too much, I'll play whatever they come up with because wherever it is it's still goin' to be stunning.
    They've already discussed a new game in the Uncharted series. Just limited details in this teaser

Back to the OPs question of if they would split efforts because the PS4 is easier to program. Just because the PS4 has more power and is easier to build for, doesn't mean that ND is going to put forth any less effort.

I haven't heard any rumors about the team doubling in size or the like, so I'd expect them to be putting forth the effort in engine building (which they are known for) and graphic polish to really show off the Uncharted line on the PS4 instead of side-tracking on a Jak & Daxter style game.

While ND can make great platformers, I think they showed last gen w/ the Uncharted series and more recently The Last of US. That they're the most talented studio around in building these story based action games that really show off the visuals as well.

Nothing against platformers and all (I bought all the R & C games for the PS3), but they're no longer platform sellers and are not going to win Sony any GOTY titles.

A good example is the 3 Uncharted games sold 17M units on PS3. The 9 released Ratchet and Clank games for the PS3 (Includes the R & C collection which is a port) sold a total of 6.5M units.

I enjoy platformers, but they're not big sellers today, no matter who good they are.

If they build up a second team, I hope it's to focus on more games like TLOU.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    I know, the team's already split into two. :3 One's doing Uncharted, the other's finishing up The Last of Us DLC. I'd highly imagine it's the latter who'll be tasked with creating the new IP!

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    I know, the team's already split into two. :3 One's doing Uncharted, the other's finishing up The Last of Us DLC. I'd highly imagine it's the latter who'll be tasked with creating the new IP!
    I don't view this as two full and independent development teams. The vast majority of those that worked on TLOU (engine and a fair amount of the content) have moved onto the Uncharted development. It only a small team of content development that's involved in making the DLC, nowhere near a full team, and I'd see them moving over to the Uncharted development once the DLC is complete (and presumably a lot of the engine development is done on the next Uncharted.)

The moderate growth that they've had in terms of employment I don't see adding to multiple games developed in parallel, but an enabler to allow them to start providing DLC expansions while quickly moving to the next project. At least that's my take, I could be wrong.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I don't view this as two full and independent development teams. The vast majority of those that worked on TLOU (engine and a fair amount of the content) have moved onto the Uncharted development. It only a small team of content development that's involved in making the DLC, nowhere near a full team, and I'd see them moving over to the Uncharted development once the DLC is complete (and presumably a lot of the engine development is done on the next Uncharted.)

The moderate growth that they've had in terms of employment I don't see adding to multiple games developed in parallel, but an enabler to allow them to start providing DLC expansions while quickly moving to the next project. At least that's my take, I could be wrong.
    Actually if you read interviews with Shuhei Yoshida hes said multiple times that Naughty Dog is a multi-team studio. They do have 2 seperate teams. The team that worked on Uncharted 3 was not the same team that made Uncharted 2.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. Ive got a shitload of bubble gum"

Ultimate Veteran
    I don't mean to say a new open world game from them needs to be a platformer. I was just kind of pointing out that they wouldn't be new to the open world concept.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    I loved uncharted 1 and 2 but never finished 3. I think it just felt a very stale formula by then and I hope the next one plays quite differently otherwise I feel it will be another wasted purchase.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I hope so. Not to say I don't appreciate Uncharted but I want to see a new ip. The Last of Us was a work of art and something different. ND has made all types of games and I would absolutely love to see something new. I'm sure they are working on a new IP. Especially with a new toy at their disposal.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I'd love a new IP from the TLOU team. Too early for a TLOU tbh. I'd like that to be revisited after a few more years, but not quite yet.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    If i remember correctly, i think the team that did Uncharted 2 are working on the new uncharted game, and the team that did UC3 did The Last Of Us.

So whats going to happen with these two different teams is very simple. One team is currently locked up working on Uncharted 4, the other team, will work on the DLC for TLOU, and then will start working on the sequel to TLOU.

It sold way too well and won way too many awards to not get a sequel, im pretty sure after 1 week and all of the 10/10's it got, Sony ordered a follow up. It wont be until after uncharted releases for PS4 that anyone in ND wll start working on a 3rd IP.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. Ive got a shitload of bubble gum"

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariakace View Post
    If i remember correctly, i think the team that did Uncharted 2 are working on the new uncharted game, and the team that did UC3 did The Last Of Us.

So whats going to happen with these two different teams is very simple. One team is currently locked up working on Uncharted 4, the other team, will work on the DLC for TLOU, and then will start working on the sequel to TLOU.

It sold way too well and won way too many awards to not get a sequel, im pretty sure after 1 week and all of the 10/10's it got, Sony ordered a follow up. It wont be until after uncharted releases for PS4 that anyone in ND wll start working on a 3rd IP.
    Either a TLOU sequel or a new ip. I'm thinkinga new ip tbh.

Even though I'd love to see another The Last of Us game, a new IP from them sounds cool too.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Either a TLOU sequel or a new ip. I'm thinkinga new ip tbh.
    hoping for a new ip too. not that I don't like uncharted or TLoU. just that new ips are always interesting

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    hoping for a new ip too. not that I don't like uncharted or TLoU. just that new ips are always interesting
    Absolutely feel the same way.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    When did The Last of Us become old? They just introduced it, lol. You're asking for a new IP for the sake of a new IP.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    When did The Last of Us become old? They just introduced it, lol. You're asking for a new IP for the sake of a new IP.
    I don't think he is saying it's old buta sequel is nota new ip.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    I didn't say TLoU is old. Neither did I say I don't want to see a sequel. You mad bro.

Dedicated Member
    Well, going with ND's recent talk about how they do what is popular on each generation...

Uncharted and Last Of Us are still popular things... and RETRO is in, as is Indie titles.

I'd look at them to partner with other studios to perhaps publish a title or two...
    and Hopefully SONY has bought them Crash to redo.

The question is what is the NEW HOTNESS right now that ND might invest in doing?

MINECRAFT?
    I'd expect that more from Media Molecule.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Superior Member
    I don't think a sequel to TLoU is necessary. I'd like to see a new IP.

SAVAGE STARLIGHT.

Forum Sage
    So there shouldn't be an issue if there is a sequel to The Last of Us. Yes, it's not a fresh / entirely new IP but so what? You can't introduce new ones and not continue them, etc.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    So there shouldn't be an issue if there is a sequel to The Last of Us. Yes, it's not a fresh / entirely new IP but so what? You can't introduce new ones and not continue them, etc.
    Trust mei have no quarrel with a last of us sequel. Was one of the best games of all time.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Who knows but whatever it is I am sure ND will not disappoint!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Who knows but whatever it is I am sure ND will not disappoint!
    Exactly. Old IP....new IP....does it really matter? It is gonna rock!
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Uncharted I'll be happy with, Jak & Daxter I'll be stupidly excited about (mainly from nostalgia as a kid playing those games), and The Last of Us sequel couldn't care less!

I know they teased a new Uncharted.. I still hope they have people working on a Jak game. I know Platformers aren't too popular, but an open world action adventure game with beautiful environments and comedic value previous Jak games had would be killer.

Thread Information