Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus

Blank Screen Issue?

The other night I was watching netflix, and I have my PS4 set to automatically turn off if I'm not using it for a certain amount of time, same with my TV because I usually fall asleep. The next day, I noticed the PS4 was still running with the blue light doing the pulse effect. So I turned on my TV to see what was up, and there was nothing but a blank screen. Now I've looked up a little about this issue, but people who are getting this similar issue got this right off the bat and seems to be a hard drive related issue. I don't think that's the case for me, I tried to reset it by holding the power button but nothing happened so I did what I really didn't want to do, I unplugged the power cord. I plugged it back in, and the system just did it's little safe mode check on all the files and then it started fine and I still had all my files and was able to access everything normally.

Now I'm just curious as to what possibly caused this? The automatic shut-off time? Anyone had any time of similar experience? I want to know for future prevention of this issue.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Sounds interesting, not sure what caused it but fingers crossed it was just a one off!

If your that worried about it try and see if you can replicate the issue and if it happens again then get in see what the recommended fix is and hopefully that will sort it out!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    The other night I was watching netflix, and I have my PS4 set to automatically turn off if I'm not using it for a certain amount of time, same with my TV because I usually fall asleep. The next day, I noticed the PS4 was still running with the blue light doing the pulse effect. So I turned on my TV to see what was up, and there was nothing but a blank screen. Now I've looked up a little about this issue, but people who are getting this similar issue got this right off the bat and seems to be a hard drive related issue. I don't think that's the case for me, I tried to reset it by holding the power button but nothing happened so I did what I really didn't want to do, I unplugged the power cord. I plugged it back in, and the system just did it's little safe mode check on all the files and then it started fine and I still had all my files and was able to access everything normally. Now I'm just curious as to what possibly caused this? The automatic shut-off time? Anyone had any time of similar experience? I want to know for future prevention of this issue.
    I'm sorry did you say something? I was staring at your avatar. lol

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    The other night I was watching netflix, and I have my PS4 set to automatically turn off if I'm not using it for a certain amount of time, same with my TV because I usually fall asleep. The next day, I noticed the PS4 was still running with the blue light doing the pulse effect. So I turned on my TV to see what was up, and there was nothing but a blank screen. Now I've looked up a little about this issue, but people who are getting this similar issue got this right off the bat and seems to be a hard drive related issue. I don't think that's the case for me, I tried to reset it by holding the power button but nothing happened so I did what I really didn't want to do, I unplugged the power cord. I plugged it back in, and the system just did it's little safe mode check on all the files and then it started fine and I still had all my files and was able to access everything normally.

Now I'm just curious as to what possibly caused this? The automatic shut-off time? Anyone had any time of similar experience? I want to know for future prevention of this issue.
    Yeah this has happened to me about three or four times now. Except I don't have the timer on, I'm just turning it off in the menu. Like you this didn't happen from new but just started for me about a week ago. Some times it's just a blank screen and sometimes that little ring is frozen. I've been able to turn it off by the button every time after holding it down for 10+ seconds. I haven't contacted sony yet. I guess I've been hoping for another firmware update.

Veteran
    Happened to me last night while trying to watch a movie on Amazon. It started fine and went to the blank screen with the loading circle (and why do we have all these stupid animated icons and not just numbers of bytes being loaded?). It just stuck there but the PS button still responded. I went to Standby and it went just fine. Started up Amazon and the same movie and same thing. Shut the PS4 off and didn't turn it on till this morning, seems just fine. Probably just some bug showing up in the firmware or it could have been from playing BF4 shortly before. They issued a patch and fixed the crashing out to the PDM but then the closing error started showing up. With the latest update, its now kicking me out of the lobby with some new error code. Powering up this morning, there is another BF4 update.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Alright well it's good to know I'm not the only one, more likely of a patch-fix. I watched netflix and you watched on amazon, so now I'm really curious if it has anything to do with streaming movies?

Apprentice

Anyone else have a problem where the screen goes black when playing for like a couple seconds and then the picture comes back? The light on the PS4 doesn't seem to change or anything, so it is weird. I have a panic attack when it happens playing resogun.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicnuke View Post
    Anyone else have a problem where the screen goes black when playing for like a couple seconds and then the picture comes back? The light on the PS4 doesn't seem to change or anything, so it is weird. I have a panic attack when it happens playing resogun.
    That sounds like an HDMI handshake problem.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    That sounds like an HDMI handshake problem.
    Hmm, I wonder if it is my oppo switcher or the PS4 though, I don't seem to have problems with other things going through the switcher. Maybe I'll try disconnecting the cord on both sides and reconnecting.

Forum Elder
    I've had the problem. I just restarted the game because it doesn't do it in the pdm (xmb). Only the occasional game

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicnuke View Post
    I have this problem when I connect the HDMI directly to the amp of my sound bar and the sound bar to the HDMI input on my TV that has the ARC (Audio Return Channel) capability. Screen would go black for a few seconds like it lost the signal but then it comes back. Now I'm not a super techie, but I tried it all and the only way around it, I plug the ps4 HDMI directly into my HDMI side port and the run an optic audio cable from my ps4 to the sound bar amp. I had to do the same with my ps3 and the funny part is, the TV and sound bar are both Sony products as well! Like someone mentioned, it's the HDMI handshake.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thread Information